Options

"Sirens" Single + Video

Comments

• Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    AC141817 wrote:
    This is the most unashamedly sentimental song the band has ever released and stands to become a first dance fixture at weddings across the globe.

seems more a pop album than a grunge alternative band!!
    I think a Jonas Brothers album has more riffs this

where was the strength and energy of this band??????

I'll tell you where the strength and energy is: It's in Getaway, MYM, MFS, LBolt, Infallible, Swallowed Whole and LTRP. Sirens is the little brother of these songs and they will beat you up if you mess with Sirens. :lol:
  • Options
    aurynsdad wrote:
    I guess it's a line in the sand for people who listen for mosh pit riffs and anthems. I always connected heavily to Eddie's poetry, especially starting around No Code. To me, Sirens is one of his boldest poetic achievements. Consider this line:

"It's a fragile thing, this life we lead
    If I think too much I can get over-
    Whelmed by the grace
    By which we live our lives
    With death over our shoulders"

It's just impeccably written, and the way he sings "overwhelmed" is so fantastic and new. Make it new, as Ezra Pound said!

For me, as a huge fan of atmospheric music by bands like Pink Floyd and Radiohead, this marriage of ethereal sounds with a moment of enlightened poetry is as good as it gets. I want to see it performed live soooo badly!

Exactly how i feel.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't know if that many people are going to want to choose a song about dying for their wedding dance.

the song isn't about dying specifically ... it's about accepting our mortality and living our lives in a way that cherishes the moments we have with the people we love the most ...
  • Options
    love it :D
  • Options
    Dear Missers of the grunge:
    Go listen to 10 and quit boring us with your hack reviews. :roll:

Beautiful song. :)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I don't know if that many people are going to want to choose a song about dying for their wedding dance.

the song isn't about dying specifically ... it's about accepting our mortality and living our lives in a way that cherishes the moments we have with the people we love the most ...
    I know what the song's about, but it's still about death. Just doesn't seem like a first dance at a wedding type of song.... but hey, there have been way weirder songs than that played! Better Man!! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BY46BY46 North West UK Posts: 7
    Instantly liked it, powerful stuff lyrically and musically - plus Mike's telecaster has the coolest art job on it.
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    3 million + views on Youtube. Pretty amazing.
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 750
    Utterly love this now. That whole 'death over our shoulders' line is one of Ed's best ever lyrics IMO. Beautiful.

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Options
    Sirens is just an amazing song, it has taken on its own meaning with me. On Sept 24th around 10:30 at night my wife and I were reading the words to sirens on my iPad, we were discussing what the song was about, and then my phone rang, as we were talking about the meaning of sirens, my phone call was to inform me that my closest,dearest, best friend just died of a heart attack. What a kick in the nads this news was to me. Almost too ironic the timing of this. It was real hard to listen to 'Sirens' for a couple of weeks but I have learned to really appreciate the song even more. I have tickets for Charlotte next Wednesday and I would love to see the guys play 'Sirens' , it would make the perfect tribute to my best friend. Will I lose it during this, absolutely!!! Ed does this to us in so many ways. Thanks for sharing the pearl jam experience.

Steve
  • Options
    Sirens is just an amazing song, it has taken on its own meaning with me. On Sept 24th around 10:30 at night my wife and I were reading the words to sirens on my iPad, we were discussing what the song was about, and then my phone rang, as we were talking about the meaning of sirens, my phone call was to inform me that my closest,dearest, best friend just died of a heart attack. What a kick in the nads this news was to me. Almost too ironic the timing of this. It was real hard to listen to 'Sirens' for a couple of weeks but I have learned to really appreciate the song even more. I have tickets for Charlotte next Wednesday and I would love to see the guys play 'Sirens' , it would make the perfect tribute to my best friend. Will I lose it during this, absolutely!!! Ed does this to us in so many ways. Thanks for sharing the pearl jam experience.

Steve
    Sorry to hear this Steve but you are doing the right thing by coming here and talking about it as PJ has helped so many people through so many problems it is unbelievable. This song has now and may always have a special meaning/connection to you and that is a good thing. I remember hearing Eddies song "Rise" on the commercial for The Deadliest Catch and it was when the one Captain found out that he had cancer and soon died. That song now always makes me think of the Captain and the family he left behind and how that song not only helps heal the bad feelings but also pays tribute to the memory of the person.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    grazman wrote:
    3 million + views on Youtube. Pretty amazing.
    oh yeah
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Damn straight.
  • Options
    GlttrGrrlGlttrGrrl Posts: 129
    This song makes me cry almost every single time I hear it. I think it's beautiful once you get past the beginning part, which seems malformed/too rough compared with the rest of the song. Once you past the part where Ed frustratingly mispronounces "Sirens" repeatedly, it's golden. I love it, even though he sings Sigh-Runs ;)
  • Options
    -Ardy--Ardy- Posts: 25
    I cannot stop listening to this song.
    And when I'm not listening to it, it's still playing in my head and I'm still singing along...

Hello, old friends ;)
    Detroit...City of Tomorrow

2000: 10/07-Auburn Hills, MI
    2003: 06/25 & 06/26-Clarkston, MI
    2004: 10/02-Toledo, OH
    10/03-Grand Rapids, MI
    2005: 09/11-Kitchener, Ontario
    09/12-London, Ontario
    09/13-Hamilton, Ontario
    2006: 05/19-Grand Rapids, MI
    05/22-Auburn Hills, MI
    07/22 & 07/23-George, WA
    2010: 05/09-Cleveland, OH
    2011: 09/03 & 09/04-East Troy, WI
    2014: 10/16-Detroit, MI
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 791
    Goddamn, this song continues to carry me away! Hooray for Pink Floyd influence! What a beauty!
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!) • 10/1/94 Bridge School • 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!) • 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!) • 10/25/03 B. School • 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!) • 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!) • 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!) • 5/13/22 Oakland (had to leave early, but W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    PJPCPJPC Posts: 5
    Beautiful song...amazing
    Release mehhhhh
  • Options
    The video is almost to 4 million hits on Youtube. Not bad for the first couple of weeks?
  • Options
    Just watch it. ...still in love with the power of this song.
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    -Ardy- wrote:
    I cannot stop listening to this song.
    And when I'm not listening to it, it's still playing in my head and I'm still singing along...

Hello, old friends ;)
    So true..
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    It's a brilliant song.

It's got some rough treatment on the Soundgarden forum though!
  • Options
    Biggest mood killer on any album they have. Great single, god awful transition from My Fathers Son.....
  • Options
    Biggest mood killer on any album they have. Great single, god awful transition from My Fathers Son.....
    I agree that the transition is terrible. The song and album are still awesome enough for my mood not to be killed, but that is in spite of that heinous transition.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I agree that the transition is terrible. The song and album are still awesome enough for my mood not to be killed, but that is in spite of that heinous transition.

Yeah, SBM should have been 4th. :lol:
  • Options
    TJ25487 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

That's the pretty good song that should have been an Xmas single. :lol:
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    TJ25487 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

That's the pretty good song that should have been an Xmas single. :lol:

Yeah, I thought full band version of SBM would have been better on an Xmas single. :?
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    Best PJ song since Sleight of Hand
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,324
    TJ25487 wrote:
    The video is almost to 4 million hits on Youtube. Not bad for the first couple of weeks?

well...7 weeks.

but who is counting?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    TJ25487 wrote:

well...7 weeks.

but who is counting?

Update: 4.2 million views after 7 weeks. :lol:
  • Options

Was sort of thinking that the album might be better served if you switch Sirens with Pendulum. It would still be a jarring transition, but the darkness of Pendulum might serve the mood better then Siren's immediate emoting.....Maybe.

But i can see how, from where the band sits, you don't bury the single halfway into the album. Sort of like U2-Achtung Baby. "One" doesn't really fit well where it's put on that album, IMO, but again, you don't bury a song that good down at track 8 or something.

cheers