Child-free Women

Comments

• KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    lazloblue wrote:
    I'm one and happy to say so.

I thought for many years I'd find Mr. Right and settle down and "do" the kid thing eventually. But as time passed I realized I was not all that interested in having kids of my own. Selfish, maybe a little sometimes. But the world has so many children that are neglected and I don't want to add to that.

I like who I am and hope to contribute to the world in so many other ways.

And you, my friend, are a ray of sunshine!
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
    god-mom-little.jpg

Fact

That is absolutely hilarious. And full of truth.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Selfish? no.

You know me, I don't want kids either. Actually talked to a male friend about this not too long ago. He said, "As a woman I find it hard to believe you wouldn't want to have kids, it's such a powerful thing" well, just because I have the 'ability' to bear children doesn't mean I want them.

You have a Honda, I have a Honda...the Honda's speedometer goes to 150 MPH...does that mean we should drive the Honda at 150 MPH 'just because' it says it can?

I think it's selfish when one has a child and either doesn't want them (the child is a 'mistake' or the woman felt social pressures from friends/family), or depends on the government to assist in raising the child(ren) (constantly being on welfare and popping out more kids i.e. 'working the system'-I have no issue if they use welfare as assistance to get back on their feet).

People have asked me "who will take care of you when you get old?" to me, that's pretty selfish...having a child purely to depend on them to 'take care of you' when you get old and senile? :nono: (I really hate that 'look' that some people with kids give you when you say, 'I don't have children'-they try to be all elitist)

I'm not a kid person at all, but there are some children that I like...they are usually respectful, well-behaved, and self-sufficient (i.e. they can entertain themselves when I visit my friends and don't need to be the center of attention 24/7).

If anybody is interested, there is a social group/club for the child-free: http://www.nokidding.net/index.html

Just be proud of your choice and have fun with it...
    "I'm like 7-up and caffiene with kids...never had 'em, never will"
    "If I wanted the effect of kids, I would spill grape juice all over my new white shag rug and get the same effect"
    "I like my dogs just fine...they will never ask to borrow my car"
    "If I ever get the slightest urge for kids, I just watch the first 15 minutes of Super Nanny and then remember why I don't want them"

(I must admit I was a bit smug when I read the part in the article that said "today not having kids means 'having it all'")

I couldn't agree more with everything you said here!! Thanks for that link, I'm definitely gonna check it out. And yes, not having kids doesn't mean we 'have it all'. People have also gone so far as to question my finances - I don't have kids, I must be rich, right? :fp: :fp: :fp:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    People have also gone so far as to question my finances - I don't have kids, I must be rich, right? :fp: :fp: :fp:

i'd tell those people to mind their own fucking business
    norm wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    People have also gone so far as to question my finances - I don't have kids, I must be rich, right? :fp: :fp: :fp:

i'd tell those people to mind their own fucking business

Right?!!! It amazes me how many people think it's okay to bring this shit up
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • lazlobluelazloblue Posts: 738
    lazloblue wrote:

I thought for many years I'd find Mr. Right and settle down and "do" the kid thing eventually. But as time passed I realized I was not all that interested in having kids of my own. Selfish, maybe a little sometimes. But the world has so many children that are neglected and I don't want to add to that.

Thanks girlie!! I think your a special kinda lady who chose to have and love kiddos!!
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
    lazloblue wrote:
    lazloblue wrote:

Thanks girlie!! I think your a special kinda lady who chose to have and love kiddos!!

I can't imagine my life without them!
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    People that say kids suck must be talking about other peoples children sucking. It's completely different when you have your own.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    By no means am I suggesting that everyone should have them though.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    hedonist wrote:
    BinFrog, as I mentioned earlier, it IS a selfish choice (for/to me, anyway) but also a necessary one.
    I've often been curious as to the other end of the spectrum - what was the impetus for having a child or children? I don't begrudge that urge/desire but just don't understand it.

Oh, that's easy. You just decide, "The world needs my genes to perpetuate." :lol::lol:

The thread seems to be more directed at women but as a man, having a child at 39-year gives some kind of new-found energy at your mid-life. It is some sort of a solution to mid-life crisis. :lol::lol:

It kind of makes you a prisoner to house so your currently leisure expenditures decrease somehow. But I am sure, in a matter of months, my wife will be probably planning a good comeback for costly leisure activities. :fp: :evil:

And I constantly experienced all kinds of harrassment and pressures and questioning from family / friends about when I will get married and then when I will get kids. :roll: :roll:
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Loulou wrote:
    People that say kids suck must be talking about other peoples children sucking. It's completely different when you have your own.

no.. at times my kids suck... or should I say there are situations involving them that suck? ;)8-) but by no means does that mean I don't love them with a passion.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Not selfish at all! As women, it sometimes seems like it doesn't matter what we choose to do or not do - we'll be 'wrong' in someone's opinion. Step off our 'pink bits' society! :lol:
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Not selfish at all! As women, it sometimes seems like it doesn't matter what we choose to do or not do - we'll be 'wrong' in someone's opinion. Step off our 'pink bits' society! :lol:
    Pink bits aside (I can't say that term without cringing!), that goes for pretty much anything, man or woman.

(which is why unless I genuinely respect someone, their opinion will have little, if any, effect on my life; living true to myself is all that matters)
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    People with children should pay more taxes, not get brakes, your child contributes nothing, just takes takes takes, you love em so much, pay for em! lets put a price tag on your love. :twisted:
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    People with children should pay more taxes, not get brakes, your child contributes nothing, just takes takes takes, you love em so much, pay for em! lets put a price tag on your love. :twisted:

They'll be paying for your social security. Pipe down.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I couldn't agree more with everything you said here!! Thanks for that link, I'm definitely gonna check it out. And yes, not having kids doesn't mean we 'have it all'. People have also gone so far as to question my finances - I don't have kids, I must be rich, right? :fp: :fp: :fp:

there's no such thing as a rich Pearl Jam fan. :lol::lol::lol:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    edited August 2013
    BinFrog wrote:

That's where the extra taxes could go! You won't see couples with 6 or 7 kids walking around anymore unless it's Brad and Angelina. The number of kids you have would become your new status symbol. 5 Grand a pop, every year until their 18. You love your child? Show Me the Money!
    Post edited by BinauralJam on
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Oh yes there is! Wealth isn't measured by wallet-size ;)
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:shifty:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    BinFrog wrote:

what social security? It's already been stated that today's Gen X'ers won't have anything to collect...too many baby boomers living too long.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I wanted to be a mom since I was six.

I never thought I had the opportunities available for a child, and then with new medical issues my ability to give birth is a non issue now. No can do.

However, if I find Mr. Right, and he has kids, I wouldn't back down from it. I have lots of love for just a Mr. Right, or Mr. Right and then some mini-Mr. Rights.

It's not a selfish decision. To have or not have children is a lifestyle choice.

It is quite a change. I would have to reevaluate when I could go back to school. I would be part of a family, and not just worried about my schedule and time.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • if one person's path in life is selfish, then we're all guilty.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    Mamasan23 wrote:

:lol::lol: Amen.

I've been meaning to post in this thread for a while. I'm a child-free woman, so obviously am in the camp that doesn't believe it's selfish, and honestly mamasan, if one my friends actually said that's what they think, I'd tear a strip out of them for saying it. :lol: As many have said, the only thing that's selfish is having kids and not being able to properly care for them or support them in one way or another, which is something that a LOT of people are guilty of, including several people I know.

I DEFINITELY sense the stigma surrounding childless women though, and that's not cool at all. But it bothers me less and less at time goes on ..... I think that by being able to do whatever I want whenever I want however I want, without the chaos of screaming and crying children, while all my friends have to rush home and do the parenting thing and can't even sit down to a meal in peace for 10 years straight, really softens the blow of that stigma for me though. :lol:

The entire time I was growing up until probably my mid to late 20s, I didn't ever want kids. But then I reached a time in my life when I decided I did after all (I am not sure how much that had to do with my feeling it was what I'm supposed to do in life... maybe a lot, maybe a little). So then I met someone who I wanted to have kids with... great. I was excited about it all. But then the relationship fell apart before any kids were made (phew!!), and now I'm mostly back to not really wanting kids again, but do acknowledge that if I met the right person who I wanted to share that experience with and who I think would be a good co-parent (and I wasn't over the hill, and I will be soon if I'm not already), I'd most likely want to have a child with him, and I'd be a great mom. I can see how that would be fulfilling. But without that special person/father of my child, I don't want kids just for the sake of kids, and I'm comfortable with feeling that way. Plus, more and more, I feel like not having kids is more responsible anyway, just because the world is kind of going to shit at a rapid pace IMO, and I'm not sure I would want to subject my children and their children to what might be in store for them. :? Grim, I know.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Ya know I have to say it kills me when I see how much of my taxes go to a school district that I'll never use :fp:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:

what social security? It's already been stated that today's Gen X'ers won't have anything to collect...too many baby boomers living too long.

Exactly.
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    What do you guys think about the rising numbers of women that are choosing not to have children? Do you think that that is a selfish act?

I just realized that you dont have the best pick for a forum name to advocate child-freeness. :mrgreen:

OK, OK, I know about the trilogy. :P
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    At various times while I was growing up, my frustrated mother would say to me, "I hope someday you have kids just like you." That pretty much sealed the deal: no kids for me. :lol:
    ELITIST FUK
  • jbarbianjbarbian Posts: 991
    No, it is not selfish to not have children. People need to stop being so judgmental of one another! All that should matter is if you are a good person and a productive member of society. PERIOD. Kids, no kids, married, single, hetero, homo, faith-based or not.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

my children are priceless. there aint enough money in the world by which to value them.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

my children are priceless. there aint enough money in the world by which to value them.

Agreed!
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle