Who's met the band?? I DID!! CHICAGO

124»

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    TeeChi wrote:
    iamica wrote:
    The reason that they travel with security and bodyguards is because Ed has had serious stalker problems in the past (that lady who threatened his life, broke into his house and even crashed her car into the wall of his house that one time, among others)

We named our firstborn son after the heartwarming recollection of that woman.
    Your kid's name is Lukin? Cool! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • TeeChiTeeChi Posts: 36
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    TeeChi wrote:

When my wife and I had just started dating, she was a newbie and the first album I played for her was No Code and after hearing Lukin she wanted to know the name of the song so I told her and she said that it'd be a cool name for a kid.

I think I blurted out, "I Love you... I mean... Cool." Seven years later, we named our son Lukin and it suits our rockstar toddler well.

He loves Pearl Jam just like his parents! Whenever he's throwing down, 95% of the time if we throw on some acoustic of the boys he'll pop his thumb in his mouth and just chill.

Oh, and for DTE he always yells, LOUDER!
    TeeChi wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    TeeChi wrote:

..... I think I blurted out, "I Love you... I mean... Cool."

:lol::lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Oh, and Cosmo - whoa! Loved your stories too :thumbup: On a plane with qotsa ... I wouldn't mind that!
    Yeah... being in L.A. and going to a lot of local Queens and Foo Fighters goings ons, I've met them a few times... mostly, Josh. The best times were when he popped by to catch a Foo Fighters related gigs because he doesn't have to play onstage and can relax and enjoy. He's pretty funny and is pretty cool with the fans... but, he doesn't seem to like to sign shit... especially those Stratocaster guitar pickguards that will find their way on to a 99 dollar Squire and end up on E-Bay for 500 bucks. Alain Johannes.. I can't say enough nice things about this guy. Really, a nice person.
    I've met the various Foo Fighters, too. Those guys love to play side gigs in little dumpy bars. Dave rarely shows up any more because he is too much of a distraction from his band mate on stage. I was able to buy him (and his then, future wife) a beer/wine at some divey bar on Hollywood Blvd. that usually hosts Tejano music. Chris was playing there with his 'Jackson' band. I love the Foo Fighters and them and their crew being really nice people, helps. Chris is a really good guy and has always treated the fans well.
    The Pearl Jam guys are cool... but, i have to admit, i understand why Eddie sometimes shuns the crowds. I've seen some pretty odd behaviour from some fans. I didn't think Jeff was unapproachable... he just doesn't like to sign shit because of all of those E-Bay types out there. I suppose a lot had to do with the fact that we were in a cool record store and he was looking at all the cool stuff they had. Stone is cool... seen him be a bit scarcastic with fans... but, in his defense, some of the fans say some really weird and kooky things to him. Matt is also cool, but I get the feeling that he just wants to get in and get out as fast a possible. Mike is the coolest of the cool. Always nice to every, even those E-Bay seller types that have 20 things for him to sign.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Cosmo wrote:
    Oh, and Cosmo - whoa! Loved your stories too :thumbup: On a plane with qotsa ... I wouldn't mind that!
    Yeah... being in L.A. and going to a lot of local Queens and Foo Fighters goings ons, I've met them a few times... mostly, Josh. The best times were when he popped by to catch a Foo Fighters related gigs because he doesn't have to play onstage and can relax and enjoy. He's pretty funny and is pretty cool with the fans... but, he doesn't seem to like to sign shit... especially those Stratocaster guitar pickguards that will find their way on to a 99 dollar Squire and end up on E-Bay for 500 bucks. Alain Johannes.. I can't say enough nice things about this guy. Really, a nice person.
    I've met the various Foo Fighters, too. Those guys love to play side gigs in little dumpy bars. Dave rarely shows up any more because he is too much of a distraction from his band mate on stage. I was able to buy him (and his then, future wife) a beer/wine at some divey bar on Hollywood Blvd. that usually hosts Tejano music. Chris was playing there with his 'Jackson' band. I love the Foo Fighters and them and their crew being really nice people, helps. Chris is a really good guy and has always treated the fans well.
    The Pearl Jam guys are cool... but, i have to admit, i understand why Eddie sometimes shuns the crowds. I've seen some pretty odd behaviour from some fans. I didn't think Jeff was unapproachable... he just doesn't like to sign shit because of all of those E-Bay types out there. I suppose a lot had to do with the fact that we were in a cool record store and he was looking at all the cool stuff they had. Stone is cool... seen him be a bit scarcastic with fans... but, in his defense, some of the fans say some really weird and kooky things to him. Matt is also cool, but I get the feeling that he just wants to get in and get out as fast a possible. Mike is the coolest of the cool. Always nice to every, even those E-Bay seller types that have 20 things for him to sign.

Awesome :thumbup:

I always wonder how people magically have a LP copy or a book or whatever with them when they bump into the band "by accident" :roll: People are weird. I would probably be like Stone :lol: Thank god I'm not a celebrity. I would hate it.
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    met mike and ed in dublin it was awesome i shit myself and just said hello!nerves got the better of me
    danny d
    danny wrote:
    met mike and ed in dublin it was awesome i shit myself and just said hello!nerves got the better of me
    .... Did you really shit yourself?
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    Cosmo wrote:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... AQ&dur=174

Reminds me of Steve Martin's fan card
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    iamica wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Doesn't sound like the image of the members of pearl jam I would have. I wouldn't have thought they'd travel with body guards or entourages or even use suv's. But that's also why I find autograph seekers creepy.

The reason that they travel with security and bodyguards is because Ed has had serious stalker problems in the past (that lady who threatened his life, broke into his house and even crashed her car into the wall of his house that one time, among others), and Jeff recently got attacked as he was leaving the studio.

Most of the band members tend to be very friendly to fans, but they have to take extra precautions because of all the crazy people out there.

That may be so I still find people who hang out in the front of celebrities hotels creepy ... there just people.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... AQ&dur=174

Reminds me of Steve Martin's fan card

:lol: That's awesome!
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    I've posted my story in other similar threads, but it's still relevant to this one. I was lucky enough to meet Ed twice, after both Austin solo shows. I have to admit, I felt a little creeped out by standing around outside at 1am or whatever it was with a few others waiting for him to come out. I guess it's a good sign that it bothered me. :lol: However, at past solo shows this was something he did, and actually seemed to really enjoy it, so I thought why not. It was probably going to be my only chance.

So night 1 I'm there with my step-daughter and we are waiting. Out comes his body guard first, carrying a bag. There was maybe 15 or 20 people. Not many at all. He kind of joked as he walked by us towards the tour bus "you guys waiting for someone?" Then he came back and explained that he wanted to come out and talk to us, but there would be no pictures or autographs. Well immediately some old guy behind us gets pissed and leaves. He was carrying what seemed to be like their whole catalog of vinyl. I guess he thought Ed would stop and sign all of them. :crazy:

So he comes out, and my step daughter is just freaking out because she can't believe it's happening. She thought I was BS'ing her and I knew it would be a cool experience for her if we put in the time and waited. Before we knew it he was going right down the line talking to everyone. I was still stoked from the show, because it was off the hook nuts for a solo show...and finishing up with Yellow Ledbetter just blew everyone away. So he got to me, shook my hand, and I said "I have NO idea what you have planned for night 2, but I think you'll have a hard time topping tonight"...he laughed and said "Yea, I think we set the bar pretty high with this one". Then I introduced my step-daughter and she was just speechless...like deer in the headlights speechless...and he just stared at her and laughed. It was a genuine laugh, which when I looked over at her made me laugh to. not that he was making fun of her at all, but just you could tell he understood how she felt and he was loving her expression.

Anyway, night 2 rolls around and my wife and I have 2nd row pit. Holy smokes it was like he was playing for us in our living room we were so close. Now I should preface, that my wife went with me because she knows how crazy I am about this band. It was just going to be an awesome date night for us. She likes some of their music, and some of Ed's solo stuff but she just didn't listen to them much before meeting me. Anyway, we had a great time, and the show was awesome and she loved it. So I ask her if she wants to wait with me and maybe meet him. She was like "hell yeah!". I said well you don't have to stay just for me, because I met him last night and I'm cool with just going back to the hotel. But she was adamant about staying.

So we went around to where we were the night before. Instantly I knew it wasn't going to happen. It looked like there was about 50 people there. At least double the crowd from the night before. I said well this probably isn't going to happen so we can leave if you want. She insisted on staying though, so we did. A couple hours later his body guard comes out and tells us to gather round. At that moment I knew he was going to say there was just too many people. I was shocked though when he said the same thing from the night before. No pictures, no autographs, etc. etc. If anyone goes nuts he's going to grab him, load him up on the bus and leave. So everyone be cool.

Anyway, he's working his way down the line, and right next to me I hear this guy asking him if Porch and Black are about the same woman. I cringe immediately because I've heard how he doesn't really discuss his songs much, and Black has been one of those somewhat off-limits topics. I was like damn...now he's going to be pissed. I just figured he'd kind of blow it off and move on. Surprisingly though...he did answer...which someone caught on video and posted on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ3XIKgkn8g

So I breath a sigh of relief, because at the moment he is done answering that question...right as the video cuts off he is reaching his hand out to my wife. She is wearing my Sea Shepherd hoodie, and he is like "Alright! Sea Shepherd." She shakes his hand, leans in and says: "I've never really been a fan"...to which my response was instantly :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: (she's a little older and grew up with Tom Petty mostly). I was oh my god, WTF??? This is what you're going to say?? LOL The look on his face though was priceless, because I think he was shocked at first, but at the same time he seemed to REALLY appreciate the honesty, and you could tell it was a welcome break from the endless accolades he probably gets because he actually got this huge grin on his face right after she said it. Then she went on to say, "but my husband here got me into your music and I loved it tonight". She talked about how much she liked the show and that she had a great time. Ed pointed at me and said something like "oh yeah...he get you up on the wave huh?" He then asked me if he could give her a hug (which I was somewhat shocked about since he rarely hugs), and I was like YA!. So she got a hug and then he turned to me saying "a hug for you for bringing her into the fold."

And that was it. He moved on through the last few people, chatting with each and then got on the bus and left. So it was a pretty stunning event in my life.
  • Agree. Does seem like paparazzi freaks, hanging around buses at 3am. Weirdos... Will someone please text me next time!!!!![/quote]

Right???? :D:D:lol:
    Agree. Does seem like paparazzi freaks, hanging around buses at 3am. Weirdos... Will someone please text me next time!!!!!

Right???? :D:D:lol:

:lol:

• Awesome :thumbup:

I always wonder how people magically have a LP copy or a book or whatever with them when they bump into the band "by accident" :roll: People are weird. I would probably be like Stone :lol: Thank god I'm not a celebrity. I would hate it.

Yeah I wonder that too. I've met a few musicians and there was only one time that I had something with me to get signed (it was a planned meet and greet with Queens of the Stone Age). Other times have just been chance meetings. I don't usually get autographs cause I don't want bands to think I'm just gonna sell them. I usually get a photo if I can. The best thing to do is approach them like anyone else in the street, dont jump straight in with "CAN I GET A PHOTO! OMG SIGN THIS!!". I've met Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Josh and the rest of QOTSA, his wife Brody from The Distillers and Shirley and Butch from Garbage. All wonderful people, haven't met any assholes yet!

There's some awesome stories on here :mrgreen:
    Pearl Jam Pearl Jam Pearl Jam!

I'm looking to buy a single ticket to Ed's Sydney Opera House show, PM me if you've got a spare! I don't care where the seat is! :D
  • amw101282amw101282 Posts: 185
    i met alice cooper and pete townshend at book signings and neil young and iggy pop after concerts...being able to have a conversation with someone who's words i've listened to and mean so much to me on record does mean a lot. i don't remember everything i said...usually something about my dad playing records, loving certain songs, and just random shit...so basically talk to em like friends. i don't know how someone wouldn't want to do that. i just met the lead singer of the national last night. guy write great songs. it was nice chatting with em. told em how his songs meant to me. being able to thank someone for the music that gets me through my days and at times can be the best friend in the world is priceless. guess i dont feel like being apologetic for being appreciative of great art. i think its awesome! im sure eddie wouldve tried meeting pete townshend to when he was my age. so i dont think he blames us for loving the band. i love lyrics and to talk to the people who write em is a great opportunity. and anyone who hasnt checked out The National, check em out, great band!
    {Alpine Valley '03/United Center '06/Summerfest '06 (Both Nights!!)/Alpine Valley '11 (PJ20) (Both Nights!!)/Wrigley Field '13}

"a truant finds home, and a wish to hold on too, he saw the trapdoor in the sun, immortality" PLEASE SUPPORT CCFA!!!
  • Ive not met the band before but did once meet McCartney 3 times in the space of an hour in London and was too shit scared to say anything to him.  My wife still calls me out over it.  
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,150
    Met Mike once, was wearing my NUDEDRAGONS shirt, we chatted about that show briefly, nice guy signed his book for me. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2020
    Met Mike on the streets of Denver in 2014.  Said “hey, you’re Mike Mccready, right?”  Introduced myself, shook his hand, told him I was looking forward to the show and we went our separate ways.  Such a random, casual 20 second moment that I’ll never forget :). The friends I was with thought I was just talking it up to some random dude on the street, they didn’t have a clue who it was.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,902
    edited January 2020
    Been fortunate to meet the entire band several times but I think the one experience I feel awkward about was something I posted about before:

After the Benaroya Hall concert I said goodbye to some fellow fans and walked back to the hotel. I was carrying a tee shirt from the show and the poster rolled up. I remember walking 5th Ave in the direction of the Space Needle and there literally being no one else around for blocks. I approached a cross street but I could hear an engine roaring as the car in the distance quickly approached so I stopped. Sure enough the car comes to a stop and the driver looks up at me and I look at the driver...and it’s Matt Cameron. He gives me a look (remember I’m holding the tee shirt and poster rolled up) like “what are you doing just standing there?” and I literally felt like he thought I was going to jump on the hood of the car. He put his foot down and got the hell out of there.

To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,552
    met matt backstage at soundgarden in 1996. chatted for a good 20 minutes while the roadies chased a drunken ben shephard around the parking lot. he was doing his best to get run over by the buses while the roadies were rearranging them. me and my buddy and matt couldn't stop laughing. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 839
    edited January 2020
    I was in Denver for the last show there.  The ex and I were at a dispensary when Boom and Matt walk in.  We finished our purchase and decided to wait on the stairs outside.  Another fan liked our approach and stayed to.  We kindly asked if we could get a pic.  We got that, shook hands and they were very nice.  I did tell Boom that I, fanboy, loved his enthusiasm and requested Crazy Mary for that nights show.  Unfortunately no Crazy Mary, but one crazy fucking awesome experience.
    Ed threw a piece of cake to me in Kansas City, but I don't consider that meeting.

Soldier Field 7-11-95, Alpine Valley 6-26-98, United Center 6-29-98, Riverport Amphitheater (St. Louis)7-2-98, MGM Grand Arena 10-22-00, Sprint Center (Kansas City)5-3-10, Adams Event Center (Missoula)9-30-12, Wrigley Field 7-19-13, Jobing.com Arena (Phoenix)11-19-13, Moda Center (Portland)11-29-13, Spokane Arena 11-30-13, Pepsi Center (Denver)10-22-14, Gila River Arena (Phoenix)5-9-22, Moody Center (Austin)9-18-23, Moody Center 9-19-23, Rogers Arena (Vancouver)5-4-24, Rogers Arena 5-6-24, MGM Grand 5-16-24, MGM Grand 5-18-24, Wrigley Field 8-29-24, Wrigley Field 8-31-24