Who's met the band?? I DID!! CHICAGO

Comments

• He walked up to me & said" Ed's going to be here in a few minutes so get the fuck across the street.

This is my favorite part of this story.
    :lol::lol::lol:

That really gave me a good laugh too! :lol::lol:

that was so funny! liked how he rhymed the minute he saw Ed :lol: , "How you feel about the WHO is how we feel about you." ! :D
    Can I be here all alone? Clear a path to my home
  • I've jammed with Matt.
    ;)
    http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/song/1783688
    "Come take my hand, and let yourself rely.
    Don't hold your breath, don't close your eyes.
    I've learned to breath and I've learned to fly.
    I've learned to see and I know I'm going higher."
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    NWOntario wrote:
    Am I alone in having no desire whatsoever to meet anyone who's even vaguely affiliated with Pearl Jam?

Add me to this list i could care less about meeting any of e'm ....
    I could go my whole life without ever seeing them off the stage again and be happy .... but I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't be excited if I was sitting next to them at the airport or rode an elevator with one of them and a good, normal conversation happened. I think a big fan of the band would have to be pretty dead inside not to think of that as a cool thing. yeah, they're just people... but I like chatting with people whose talents I admire.

totally agree.. the few occasions i've got to see/meet random (even remotely) famous people i didn't even admire, even that got me excited enough to share the story with friends.. but if it's the one band in the world that you love, it's guaranteed to make your day! :D

granted, i may not be doing anything obvious or special to make that happen, but if i meet anyone from the band in a chance encounter, of course it'll mean a huge deal to me..
    Can I be here all alone? Clear a path to my home
  • CharliePCharlieP Posts: 1,035
    It´s a difficult topic. I personally think asking for photos and/or autographs is a little weird but I don´t see why saying 'hi' to your idol outside, for instance, a venue is a weird scene.
    Let´s not forget Ed's been coming out many times, genuinely interested in chatting, seemingly. If they don´t wanna do this (which I´d fully understand) they can just get in their cars right away.
    Stone, to me, seems like a guy who may feel a Little uncomfortable just randomly chatting away and that´s probably why people never see him in situations like these.
    Each to his own, no big deal.

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I could go my whole life without ever seeing them off the stage again and be happy .... but I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't be excited if I was sitting next to them at the airport or rode an elevator with one of them and a good, normal conversation happened. I think a big fan of the band would have to be pretty dead inside not to think of that as a cool thing. yeah, they're just people... but I like chatting with people whose talents I admire.
    On the way home from Milwaukee in 2011, I was on the same plane as the Queens of The Stone Age. We were on the same flight out of L.A. a few days prior, too. They are cool and i have met them all on several different occasions. They are all cool.
    Anyway... I board the plane and the guy in the seat next to me is the guitar player from The Strokes. He has a bit of an, 'Oh, shit... some Pearl Jam fan dude' look on his face. I just said, 'Howzitgoin'?' to him and sat down. I slept for most of the flight home and only woke up when he had to go to the can.
    As we landed and got up to disembark the plane, i said, 'I really appreaciated your set last night.' He was cool with that and we started talking about his band and the Pearl Jam gig and guitars and stuff and as we said our 'later, dudes'... he thanked me for letting him sleep because he was pretty hung over. You and me both, brother.
    The Moral of the Story: Treat them like people. Mostly based on the fact that that is what they are... people. Don't shove a pen and a used napkin in their face to sribble on and just let them know if you like their music.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • I haven't met any of them or any celebrities or pro athletes for that matter. I would feel weird bothering them when it is there personal time. I always have said that if I ever randomly meet any of them, I wouldn't ask for a picture or autograph. I would only want to say thank you. I assume celebrity can be suffocating. I would hate to feel like I can't go to the grocery store without being bothered by fans and having either to feel rude by saying no or spend time taking pictures and signing stuff. I hope the band can live a pretty normal life outside of the tours. I'm sure Ed did feel suffocated during the early 90s.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    I haven't met any of them or any celebrities or pro athletes for that matter. I would feel weird bothering them when it is there personal time. I always have said that if I ever randomly meet any of them, I wouldn't ask for a picture or autograph. I would only want to say thank you. I assume celebrity can be suffocating. I would hate to feel like I can't go to the grocery store without being bothered by fans and having either to feel rude by saying no or spend time taking pictures and signing stuff. I hope the band can live a pretty normal life outside of the tours. I'm sure Ed did feel suffocated during the early 90s.
    In the environment of their profession... be it a venue for a concert or a stadium for a ball game... the artist and athletes understand that it comes with the territory. There are going to be fans there... otherwise, they would have a 9 to 5 like me, in a cubicle.
    I think the worst place is... outside their home. A fan doesn't know where an artist lives... a stalker does. After that, an outing where they are with their family or friends... like a restaurant or something. That is a bad place to show your fandom. Then, i would say... and sorry to the original poster... the hotel they are staying at. The fans know venue... and that's all they should know.
    The oddest thing that ever happened to me was when Tom Morello asked if it would be okay to share my table with him and his mom at the Hotel Cafe. I said, "Sure... yeah. You can have it." And he said, "No, we can share it... my name is Tom..." and i said, "I know who you are... you're Tom Morello". Turns out, we are both friends of Jill Sobule and were both there to see her show. Tom was there to play a few song with her and later, with David Gibb.
    He is one of the nicest guys out there.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • I just want to say:

I am insanely jealous you got to meet Any of them! Good on you brotha! And don't listen to meanies, it's not weird. You didn't follow them to their house for Pete's sake! Haha it was just right place at right time :)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    Cosmo wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    On the way home from Milwaukee in 2011, I was on the same plane as the Queens of The Stone Age. We were on the same flight out of L.A. a few days prior, too. They are cool and i have met them all on several different occasions. They are all cool.
    Anyway... I board the plane and the guy in the seat next to me is the guitar player from The Strokes. He has a bit of an, 'Oh, shit... some Pearl Jam fan dude' look on his face. I just said, 'Howzitgoin'?' to him and sat down. I slept for most of the flight home and only woke up when he had to go to the can.
    As we landed and got up to disembark the plane, i said, 'I really appreaciated your set last night.' He was cool with that and we started talking about his band and the Pearl Jam gig and guitars and stuff and as we said our 'later, dudes'... he thanked me for letting him sleep because he was pretty hung over. You and me both, brother.
    The Moral of the Story: Treat them like people. Mostly based on the fact that that is what they are... people. Don't shove a pen and a used napkin in their face to sribble on and just let them know if you like their music.

Exactly.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Cosmo wrote:
    The oddest thing that ever happened to me was when Tom Morello asked if it would be okay to share my table with him and his mom at the Hotel Cafe. I said, "Sure... yeah. You can have it." And he said, "No, we can share it... my name is Tom..." and i said, "I know who you are... you're Tom Morello".
    I love when they do that.. introduce themselves. Makes them seem so humble and human.

Love Tom Morello.
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    edited August 2013
    I once shared a few beers and Marlboros with Keifer Sutherland and Tre Cool in the back of a bar called Library in the East Village. Randomly bumped into them at the bar. Talked about random shit waiting for the bartender to get our drinks and they invited me back to their table to chill. I don't smoke and this was long after the ban but when Kiefer Sutherland offers you a Red, you smoke the fuck out of that thing. I was passing through, on tour with a Shakespeare company at the time and he called me a "real" actor as opposed to what he does. I couldn't believe what a cool dude he was. We drank and he told me some crazy shit about his dad growing up. Tre didn't say a word all night but was chill as hell. Anyway, they got me royally fucked up but somehow I found my way home. Surreal but awesome experience to say the least.

Not pearl jam, but just felt like sharing.
    Post edited by october22 on
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    october22 wrote:
    I once shared a few beers and Marlboros with Keifer Sutherland and Tre Cool in the back of a bar called Library in the East Village. Randomly bumped into them at the bar. Talked about random shit waiting for the bartender to get our drinks and they invited me back to their table to chill. I don't smoke and this was long after the ban but when Kiefer Sutherland offers you a Red, you smoke the fuck out of that thing. I was passing through, on tour with a Shakespeare company at the time and he called me a "real" actor as opposed to what he does. I couldn't believe what a cool dude he was. We drank and he told me some crazy shit about his dad growing up. Tre didn't say a word all night but was chill as hell. Anyway, they got me royally fucked but somehow I found my way home. Surreal but awesome experience to say the least.

:thumbup:
    october22 wrote:
    I once shared a few beers and Marlboros with Keifer Sutherland and Tre Cool in the back of a bar called Library in the East Village. Randomly bumped into them at the bar. Talked about random shit waiting for the bartender to get our drinks and they invited me back to their table to chill. I don't smoke and this was long after the ban but when Kiefer Sutherland offers you a Red, you smoke the fuck out of that thing. I was passing through, on tour with a Shakespeare company at the time and he called me a "real" actor as opposed to what he does. I couldn't believe what a cool dude he was. We drank and he told me some crazy shit about his dad growing up. Tre didn't say a word all night but was chill as hell. Anyway, they got me royally fucked but somehow I found my way home. Surreal but awesome experience to say the least.

Is that you off to the right?

PirateKiefer.gif

:lol: I think getting drunk with Keifer Sutherland would probably be a blast. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Oh, and Cosmo - whoa! Loved your stories too :thumbup: On a plane with qotsa ... I wouldn't mind that!
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    cmm6734 wrote:
    I met Ed after one of his solo shows in Houston last year. He chatted with the fans outside Jones Hall and then he left. Really cool guy. Great story!

think I was there. :mrgreen: I ran into you after the show too I think beforehand.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I felt awkward just reading that story.

Is Jeff really unapproachable? I wouldn't have guessed that, but now that you mention it, I don't see many stories of people meeting him.

A friend of mine met him at a RNDM show, and said he was cool.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I appreciate the OP's enthusiasm, but that might be the most awkward and semi-creepy met-the-band story I've heard of.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I saw Stone at a restaurant once the night after one of their concerts. I didn't approach him. If he'd made eye contact with me or something, I might have given him a thumbs-up, but I'm not going to bother someone enjoying their dinner just because I'm a fan of their music.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    I just want to say:

I am insanely jealous you got to meet Any of them! Good on you brotha! And don't listen to meanies, it's not weird. You didn't follow them to their house for Pete's sake! Haha it was just right place at right time :)

Loose definition of "meeting". Unless you exchanged names and talked for several minutes I don't think you've met someone.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Doesn't sound like the image of the members of pearl jam I would have. I wouldn't have thought they'd travel with body guards or entourages or even use suv's. But that's also why I find autograph seekers creepy.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Doesn't sound like the image of the members of pearl jam I would have. I wouldn't have thought they'd travel with body guards or entourages or even use suv's. But that's also why I find autograph seekers creepy.

The reason that they travel with security and bodyguards is because Ed has had serious stalker problems in the past (that lady who threatened his life, broke into his house and even crashed her car into the wall of his house that one time, among others), and Jeff recently got attacked as he was leaving the studio.

Most of the band members tend to be very friendly to fans, but they have to take extra precautions because of all the crazy people out there.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Posts: 2,804
    I shook his hand after the soundcheck in Cardiff 2000.

Wish this had been me but during the Vandals support in Dublin 2000, my brother and mates were watching within the pit area. A guy with a hoodie up walks up and stands beside them. It was Eddie. He asked them not to make a scene but was happy to talk with them for a bit. Took a request and during the show he dedicated Off He Goes & Small Town to the people from Donegal.
    Kearnsy
    know1 wrote:
    I saw Stone at a restaurant once the night after one of their concerts. I didn't approach him. If he'd made eye contact with me or something, I might have given him a thumbs-up, but I'm not going to bother someone enjoying their dinner just because I'm a fan of their music.

Bothering someone while they're eating is incredibly rude. So is bothering them if they really doing anything other than walking along or just standing or sitting around doing nothing.
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 826
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Bothering someone while they're eating is incredibly rude. So is bothering them if they really doing anything other than walking along or just standing or sitting around doing nothing.

I spent all of Smoosh's set at Lolla '07 standing beside Matt Cameron. Matt Cameron is actually my idol...and he was with his family, and there was absolutely no way I was going to say anything to him.

I realize the members of Pearl Jam are just people and not gods...but shit: I want my rock stars to be gods. I don't want them to be real people. I don't want to shake Eddie's hand and realize that he's just like me. I want to keep that barrier up. If Quadrophenia taught me nothing else, it taught me never to get too close to my idols because they're bound to let me down...even if they're only letting my down by being real people.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • swardsward Posts: 586
    I think that the reality is...if you are staring all crazy eyed at the guys, well...its going to start things off on the wrong foot. (Not that the OP was doing this...).

These guys are just people, albeit with a fair amount of status behind them ;-) To say they are the same as us? Well...not really...but there's no reason to be anyone but yourself if and when you have that chance encounter. Both times I have met or encountered the band, it has been incredibly positive. That said, the second time I was within an arms hair of Vedder and just let him be for the most part as it was fairly obvious he wasn't hoping and wishing for me to tug on his arm and chat about life. And believe me, it wasn't easy as I know those chances are few and far between.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    know1 wrote:

Yep, the only time I've had the chance to walk up to a band member, Mike and Jeff were talking with people. I'm never going to interrupt a conversation. And I wasn't going to stand around like a stalker waiting for the conversation to end so I didn't get to say anything to Mike, but Jeff did look over at me so I said a quick "thanks for the show" and kept walking by.
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    TeeChi wrote:
    Before we parted I just said, "Hey, Pearl Jam's music and everything you guys do for us the fans means more than I could have explained in seven floors." He smiled and that was it.

:thumbup: nice one!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • AAJCAAJC Posts: 262
    I saw Ed a couple times backstage at the Missoula show. We were walking by the backstage area and he was walking and talking with his friends. I said "hi, hope you have a great show" and he waved a thanks at me. Second time I saw him that afternoon I gave him the Shaka sign and he returned it. That was it, I left him alone. He seems like a nice dude in person.

I thought it was funny that in Missoula you could walk right backstage if you wanted. There was an opening in the fence by the stairs. I saw their dressing room and the stage being setup a few hours before the show. Was interesting.

I hope to be backstage at the Calgary show to have a beer with them.

AC
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Posts: 1,597
    I've met Ed a couple times and just like everyone says he is super cool and genuine. I've also talked to Jeff and he was super chill and awesome. Seen Mike, Stone and Matt around Seattle from time to time but never talked to them.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • TeeChiTeeChi Posts: 36
    iamica wrote:
    The reason that they travel with security and bodyguards is because Ed has had serious stalker problems in the past (that lady who threatened his life, broke into his house and even crashed her car into the wall of his house that one time, among others)

We named our firstborn son after the heartwarming recollection of that woman.