Who's met the band?? I DID!! CHICAGO

Comments

• CharliePCharlieP Posts: 1,035
    Met Ed last year in Copenhagen. I´m not the 'waiting in line to approach' type so after the show we wandered off to a nearby bar to get a few drinks. Afterwards we went home and went past the forum one last time. Something was definitely coming up so we thought we might give it a look. And out came Ed, clearly wanting to chat and say hello to the fans waiting. And I´d be lying if I said I didn´t want to meet him, so given the 'right' circumstances, as good as it probably gets, we went over and said hi and chatted for a few minutes. He was awesome and it was a great meeting.

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Bird889Bird889 Posts: 423
    I was in Boston with my son for the 2010 show. My son met Matt in one of the historic cemetaries being a typical tourist. he was great and posed with him for a picture. Sorry I was off doing something else and missed it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride"!
    Unknown

• sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    I met Mike walking down the road in Ottawa in 2011 with the girlfriend. He's one down to earth cool guy to talk to. He asked us where we're from and we told him Newfoundland. He told us he's been there and kissed the cod and that (Part of Traditional screech-in ceremony). We asked for a picture ---> and went on our way
  • dlymnflddlymnfld Posts: 918
    I "met" Boom walking the boardwalk in Quebec City 2005. I just quietly said "BOOM"!! while walking by and he gave me a Shaka wave. He was with his wife and I just figured saying hello was enough. They are just people.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • I think it's extremely weird to stand around to meet a celebrity, especially around their hotel. It's people who do that who drive bands like Pearl Jam to stop touring. What a pain in the ass. Just enjoy the music and the shows, and cut out the stalking. Eddie Vedder doesn't need to meet you. And you know what, you don't need to meet him either. I've read hundreds of these stories, and 90% of the time, whatever the fan says is just weird and awkward and probably made the band member feel uncomfortable.

Now, a meeting by pure chance is a completely different story, that is obviously fine. Like the time I met Ed in his back yard.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    Went to a Denny's in San Francisco late after one of the shows there in 2006. Boom was at a table in the back, surrounded by what appeared to be a bunch of family.

We didn't say a word to him or about him for the entire meal. When he got up to go pay the check, he had to walk right by our table. So of course we shouted the requisite, "BOOOOOOM!!!" He smiled and acknowledged us.

What can I say? It was like 3 a.m. at a Denny's. We were, at worst, only the fifth-most obnoxious people in the place.

And yes, every single word of the preceding story is absolutely true.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    I think it's extremely weird to stand around to meet a celebrity, especially around their hotel. It's people who do that who drive bands like Pearl Jam to stop touring. What a pain in the ass. Just enjoy the music and the shows, and cut out the stalking. Eddie Vedder doesn't need to meet you. And you know what, you don't need to meet him either. I've read hundreds of these stories, and 90% of the time, whatever the fan says is just weird and awkward and probably made the band member feel uncomfortable.

Now, a meeting by pure chance is a completely different story, that is obviously fine. Like the time I met Ed in his back yard.

Being on his landscaping/grass cutting service doesn't really count as "meeting" him does it??? ;) Or did you grill for him???
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • I met jeff at my first PJ show back in '91, about a month before 10 came out. then i talked to both mike and jeff after another show a few months later and thought it was cool that jeff remembered me. this was obviously before things got crazy and they were more approachable
    Providence 07-15-1991 Warwick 11-13-1991 Mansfield 08-08-1992
    Boston 04-12-1994 Mansfield 09-16-1998 Mansfield 07-03-2003 Mansfield 06-30-2008
  • Met Ed at his solo show in Albany ny. His bus was parked on side of the venue and I waited with a few fans before the show and he cam out and shook hands and waved to us. Wish they would do a VIP session and donate the proceeds to
    Vitology foundation
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • I'm sorry everyone thought I was a stalker or something. I was just really excited to meet the band after 20 + years of being a loyal fan. I just wanted to share my story on here seeing how I never really post. I just thought it was exciting & wanted to hear other stories about meetings or what ever.Some feed back seemed pretty negative. Now I just feel like an stalker ass hole & all I wanted to do was share in my love for PJ & my story..... sorry folks.... :oops:
    7-7-98- New Mexico
    4-19-03 Atlanta
    7-5 & 6-06 Denver
    7-19-13 Wrigley!!
    Kilo from Denver :)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I'm sorry everyone thought I was a stalker or something. I was just really excited to meet the band after 20 + years of being a loyal fan. I just wanted to share my story on here seeing how I never really post. I just thought it was exciting & wanted to hear other stories about meetings or what ever.Some feed back seemed pretty negative. Now I just feel like an stalker ass hole & all I wanted to do was share in my love for PJ & my story..... sorry folks.... :oops:

You didn't do anything wrong, I could tell from reading your post you were really excited and wanted to share your story. Don't let the naysayers get you down here or you'll never survive. People can be very nasty around here, and I personally, don't understand it one bit.

We're all on this very message board because we're all fans of this band, why do some people feel the need to attack others? I'll never get that.

don't sweat it kilo
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    I was thinking that most of those guys (even Ed to some degree) can wander the big cities pretty freely I would think. If they encountered a random fan they most likely wouldn't gather a crowd, etc. Having security at the hotel and venue would definitely be necessary but I would think they can be fairly anonymous in most places.

I'm not one to wait around at a hotel or anything. I always thought it was cool that Ed would come out and greet the people who waited outside after his solo shows but I most likely would never do that.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • I'm sorry everyone thought I was a stalker or something. I was just really excited to meet the band after 20 + years of being a loyal fan. I just wanted to share my story on here seeing how I never really post. I just thought it was exciting & wanted to hear other stories about meetings or what ever.Some feed back seemed pretty negative. Now I just feel like an stalker ass hole & all I wanted to do was share in my love for PJ & my story..... sorry folks.... :oops:

Kilo, I never got the impression you were a stalker, after reading your story. I picked up on your excitement at getting a chance to meet the band after being a fan for so many years. I'm happy for you!! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Thank you!! :)
    7-7-98- New Mexico
    4-19-03 Atlanta
    7-5 & 6-06 Denver
    7-19-13 Wrigley!!
    Kilo from Denver :)
  • I met Mike on the streets of Oslo (my avatar) and met Jeff coming off an elevator. They were both cool as hell.
    1994: ANN ARBOR
    2011: DETROIT (EV), HAMILTON
    2012: OSLO, COPENHAGEN, MEMPHIS (EV)
    2013: LONDON, CHICAGO, VANCOUVER, SEATTLE
    2014: ST. LOUIS, DETROIT
    2015: CHICAGO (EV & TOWNSHEND), NEW YORK
    2016: QUEBEC CITY, OTTAWA, TORONTO 1, BOSTON 1 & 2
    2018: LONDON 1, CHICAGO 1
    2022: HAMILTON

• Jeff is not unaproachable, he was very cool after his RDNM show. I think anyone who is approached when they are "off duty" Is going to have a hard time with it.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,890
    I think it's extremely weird to stand around to meet a celebrity, especially around their hotel. It's people who do that who drive bands like Pearl Jam to stop touring. What a pain in the ass. Just enjoy the music and the shows, and cut out the stalking. Eddie Vedder doesn't need to meet you. And you know what, you don't need to meet him either. I've read hundreds of these stories, and 90% of the time, whatever the fan says is just weird and awkward and probably made the band member feel uncomfortable.

I tend to agree. A random run-in is cool, or when they are doing a signing somewhere - that is cool, it's what they're there for - but waiting around to scrounge a hand shake or a word from their mouths is strange and awkward IMO. The whole celebrity worship thing make me uncomfortable. As someone said, they are just people... I sometimes kind of wonder how people can take the hit to their ego when they wait around stalker-style and get all crazy about saying "hi" to a person who doesn't even know them. I had Jeff sign an album once since the rest of the band were put specifically signing, and I will never go out of my way to talk to any of them ever again. I found it to be a very unnatural experience that gave me no satisfaction at all. Really it just made me feel like an idiot. Now, if I end up standing behind them in line at a coffee shop or something, that would be cool.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • some awkward people on here.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

edited August 2013
    I'm sorry everyone thought I was a stalker or something. I was just really excited to meet the band after 20 + years of being a loyal fan. I just wanted to share my story on here seeing how I never really post. I just thought it was exciting & wanted to hear other stories about meetings or what ever.Some feed back seemed pretty negative. Now I just feel like an stalker ass hole & all I wanted to do was share in my love for PJ & my story..... sorry folks.... :oops:

I don't think you came off as a stalker - sounds like you sort of just happened to be there (and it was kind of a strange scene). That other fan in your story definitely came off like a stalker though. ... I think your experience just got others thinking about the whole meeting the band issue in general.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 826
    Am I alone in having no desire whatsoever to meet anyone who's even vaguely affiliated with Pearl Jam?
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    some awkward people on here.

It's an awkward subject.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,216
    NWOntario wrote:
    Am I alone in having no desire whatsoever to meet anyone who's even vaguely affiliated with Pearl Jam?

Add me to this list i could care less about meeting any of e'm ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • He walked up to me & said" Ed's going to be here in a few minutes so get the fuck across the street.

This is my favorite part of this story.
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
    NWOntario wrote:

Add me to this list i could care less about meeting any of e'm ....
    I could go my whole life without ever seeing them off the stage again and be happy .... but I'm not going to pretend that I wouldn't be excited if I was sitting next to them at the airport or rode an elevator with one of them and a good, normal conversation happened. I think a big fan of the band would have to be pretty dead inside not to think of that as a cool thing. yeah, they're just people... but I like chatting with people whose talents I admire.
  • He walked up to me & said" Ed's going to be here in a few minutes so get the fuck across the street.

This is my favorite part of this story.
    :lol::lol::lol:

That really gave me a good laugh too! :lol::lol:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    After their gig over here in 1992 Jeff and Stone came up to me and started talking and we chatted for a bit. They told me it was their first time abroad and they were all wide-eyed about it. It was fun talking to them, but I would never get in line to do so. Never.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • rolenrockrolenrock Posts: 312
    Didn't read all posts.. but haven't seen anyone mention this fact..

Jeff got mugged coming out of the studio one time "recently".. i wouldn't be surprised is if he is extra cautious from here on out.

As far as waiting outside of the hotel to just shake hands.. it is a little wierd to me. They are just regular guys like there rest of us. they have just been really successful, no need to be nervous and hang outside of their hotel.

I am happy for your if you are this excited about it.. just not my cup of tea. :)
    2009: Philly Night 2
    2010: MSG Night 1 and Night 2
    2011: Eddie Vedder Solo in Philly, PJ20 Alpine Valley Day 1 and Day 2.
    2012: Berlin Night 1(7/4)
    2013: Wrigley Field, Philly 1 and 2
  • I felt awkward just reading that story.

Is Jeff really unapproachable? I wouldn't have guessed that, but now that you mention it, I don't see many stories of people meeting him.

I felt awkward as well. :? It just seemed uncomfortable.
  • Jeff is not unaproachable, he was very cool after his RDNM show. I think anyone who is approached when they are "off duty" Is going to have a hard time with it.

Jeff refused to come out after the RNDM show I went to. Didn't want anything to do with the fans.
  • Here is my reason why I tend not to like stories of fans "meeting" a band member, a picture taken of a band member, autograph, etc. outside of their hotel or venue. However, meeting a member randomly, say in a deli, can be a delightful experience.

These guys are not gods, they're people just like you and me, but the fans worship them to the point that they're not treated like human beings. For instance, how would you feel if I ran up to you and asked for a photo with you? It's WEIRD. How do you think they feel? Fans in these guys faces, just want something or other, and all I can think is human behavior at its worse: we all want something from the band (autograph, hand shake, photo, a conversation, etc) and do what ever it takes to satisfy ourselves. All I can think about is how they feel at the moment (violated? objectified? invaded?)