so listened to Phish for the first time..

Comments

• choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    i hit the lottery for fall tour for the first time since the clinton administration. :D
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    choop wrote:
    i hit the lottery for fall tour for the first time since the clinton administration. :D

I have been generally lucky with Phish lotteries over the years. I definitely score more often than not.

This year I am having to, unfortunately, pass on Phish shows. My wife and I had our 2nd child in March, and I have been saving up bonus points for PJ tour. She is cool with me doing 5 PJ shows in October....which means not seeing some great shows: Phish, Rush, NIN, etc.

Sucks, but I'll be back to shows next year. And of course 5 PJ shows is awesome...
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Just curious, do phans on the phish boards carry on about the lottery like they do here, or is it generally accepted that its difficult since its open to anyone, not just members?

Ps. Their ticket prices are fantastic and I love how they give you a free download of the show as well.
    msjpearson wrote:
    Just curious, do phans on the phish boards carry on about the lottery like they do here, or is it generally accepted that its difficult since its open to anyone, not just members?

Ps. Their ticket prices are fantastic and I love how they give you a free download of the show as well.

They never had it as good as us who mastered the art of f5, and there is no seniority, so the complaints are lower.
    BinFrog wrote:
    msjpearson wrote:
    Just curious, do phans on the phish boards carry on about the lottery like they do here, or is it generally accepted that its difficult since its open to anyone, not just members?

They never had it as good as us who mastered the art of f5, and there is no seniority, so the complaints are lower.

pearl jam fans are definitely a whiny bunch. phish fans generally don't complain and just get to work getting tickets. the difference is probably the seniority like mentioned - most phans are content to just be in the building, and not worried about getting a 53rd mccready pick. also, the phish lottery can get you on the lawn in the summer, behind the stage, etc. so they aren't necessarily the best seats like 10C.

i think both bands could learn from each others practices, an awesome system would come from such a hybrid.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
    BinFrog wrote:
    choop wrote:

I have been generally lucky with Phish lotteries over the years. I definitely score more often than not.

This year I am having to, unfortunately, pass on Phish shows. My wife and I had our 2nd child in March, and I have been saving up bonus points for PJ tour. She is cool with me doing 5 PJ shows in October....which means not seeing some great shows: Phish, Rush, NIN, etc.

Sucks, but I'll be back to shows next year. And of course 5 PJ shows is awesome...

congrats!

i'm sitting out a bunch of PJ and just hitting Portland and Seattle, doing 1 phish run (AC) and the local NIN show and Atoms for Peace in Hollywood. After that, I'm going into a semi-retirement until next summer to buy a house. feels weird to be responsible sometimes....
    choop wrote:
    feels weird to be responsible sometimes....

Yup. And I am not sure when exactly the feeling will go away. Maybe it doesn't. *sigh*
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    msjpearson wrote:
    awilkins wrote:
    Got 4 GAs for Worcester, put in for 4 best available--score! PJ GA Hartford Friday, Phish GA Worcester Saturday! Pumped!

That is quite a weekend run. Well done, good sir.
    And PJ Worcester 1 the week before as well as Matt Good and Vinyl Cafe; NIN GA floor earlier int he month too.

#rocktober
  • 63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Yeah not much complaining because people seem to accept that they aren't entitled to get front row to every show like some others. And the capacity of some of these places is high school gym size. Pretty insane as you are talking around 10k and under.

Someone give me your AC tix :corn:
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Would not say I am qualified to judge a Mccready v Trey battle.

Me, too, dont feel qualified to judge on that.

Having said that it seems to be somewhat ill-fated to compare guitarists of two different genres. The thing is, Mike is supposed to do his work within the boundaries of PJ music. Those boundaries might be different with a different band, like Phish. PJ is not particularly a jam-band, it is heavily dominated by lead vocals. Things a lead-guitarist can do in a band like PJ are much more limited than bands like Phish, Widespread Panic or Grateful Dead.

I guess, what I am saying is, based on the above argument, it is not right to conclude Mike is a lesser guitarist. His job as his role in the band is different. He is supposed to give fire to the songs (his exact words) rather than jamming the music to whatever direction he pleases, as in the case of Phish.

You never know, put Mike in a jam band and put Trey in a band like PJ and within 10-years, you might conclude Mike is the better one. So it is not much the talent, it is the role in the band that you guys are mostly talking about.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
    jumbojet wrote:

Having said that it seems to be somewhat ill-fated to compare guitarists of two different genres. The thing is, Mike is supposed to do his work within the boundaries of PJ music. Those boundaries might be different with a different band, like Phish. PJ is not particularly a jam-band, it is heavily dominated by lead vocals. Things a lead-guitarist can do in a band like PJ are much more limited than bands like Phish, Widespread Panic or Grateful Dead.

I guess, what I am saying is, based on the above argument, it is not right to conclude Mike is a lesser guitarist. His job as his role in the band is different. He is supposed to give fire to the songs (his exact words) rather than jamming the music to whatever direction he pleases, as in the case of Phish.

You never know, put Mike in a jam band and put Trey in a band like PJ and within 10-years, you might conclude Mike is the better one. So it is not much the talent, it is the role in the band that you guys are mostly talking about.

I am a huge fan of both bands. PJ is my favorite band, and Phish is juuuuust a smidge behind. I am also a guitar player, and a huge fan of virtuoso stuff like jazz, fusion, etc.

My take:

Trey is a far superior *technical* player. Regardless of whose style you like, or who gets to you emotionally, there's really not even a debate as to who is a "better" guitarist. Mike is a great bluesy/hard rock guitar player. Trey can play hard rock, jazz, fusion, bluegrass, folk, and just about anything else.

That being said: Mike can bring you places emotionally like few others. Mike's playing works in conjunction with Eddie's voice and the heartfelt lyrics. Trey's playing brings you places musically, along with an incredibly talented band, that no other guitarist can do (in my mind). When Phish clicks and is firing on all cylinders, it's simply jaw dropping what they can do musically...and Trey is usually the one leading the way. What he can do on the guitar, and in an improv setting, is astounding.

On just a technical/skill level: it's not even a contest. Trey has a skill-set that very few have ever had. The debate over which guitarist means more to you, or reaches you on an emotional level is one thing. But Trey is a far superior guitarist.
    Take for example just a straight ahead rocker: Phish covering 5:15 by The Who

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... glHo&t=205

Trey just goes off.
    And coming out of the quiet/breakdown section of Divided Sky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aRQ&t=1434

If you are an open-minded music lover...just watch that ending jam. First off the playing leading into the jam is simply beautiful, and then he does what he does best.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    jumbojet wrote:

Mike isn't in the same universe as Trey and I wouldn't even consider myself a Phish fan.

Have them switch places and it's likely Trey could excel, as he's such a chameleon. Mike would get completely lost pretty quickly. You're just talking a whole different level of musical sophistication with Phish.

I no other aspect of guitar playing, besides personal preference, could Mike ever be considered superior guitarist to Trey.

There's much more to emotional guitar playing than "head back eyes closed big bends", which Mike does great, but there are only a few examples where he's really supplied that certain emotional push/pull in an uptempo number.
    Insert shameless ISO plug for AC tix.... Get in touch if you have spares. I was lucky enough to snag Reading at least.

Now... Back to the videos.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '18- Fenway
    BinFrog wrote:
    And coming out of the quiet/breakdown section of Divided Sky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aRQ&t=1434

If you are an open-minded music lover...just watch that ending jam. First off the playing leading into the jam is simply beautiful, and then he does what he does best.

Thank you very much for the links. Certainly I am more open to the ones recommended from fellow PJ fans. Interesting that you picked some performances from -90-'s.

I was listening to this one today till 45-minute mark while he was talking about Vibration of Death stuff. 8-) Hope to finish it sometime tomorrow.

Certainly, the talent is undeniably there.

I will also try a few more links in this thread. Thanks again.

DewieCox wrote:

Have them switch places and it's likely Trey could excel, as he's such a chameleon. Mike would get completely lost pretty quickly. You're just talking a whole different level of musical sophistication with Phish.

Oh, you are underestimating Eddie, there. Give Trey under the command of Eddie and Eddie will turn him into a puppy in no time, waiting for orders to wag his tail, when his time for 25-second solo comes. :)

• dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Insert shameless ISO plug for AC tix.... Get in touch if you have spares. I was lucky enough to snag Reading at least.

I'm with you.. went to the ticketmaster in AC to try to get tix, and still shut out! Lottery too. :evil:
  • Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    October is going to be sick. Two of my favorite bands criss crossing each other in the Northeast...playing at the same venues. Hitting 6 shows... 3 PJ...3 Phish. And throw in a Giants Monday night game...could possibly be the best week of my life! :D
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    Phish are a good time. I've only seen them a few times, but I've enjoyed their music for nearly twenty years now... I'm not always in the mood for them, but when I am, I totally am. :mrgreen:
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Bdog10 wrote:
    October is going to be sick. Two of my favorite bands criss crossing each other in the Northeast...playing at the same venues. Hitting 6 shows... 3 PJ...3 Phish. And throw in a Giants Monday night game...could possibly be the best week of my life! :D

I built up bonus points with my wife so I could hit up multiple PJ shows this tour. We have 2 little kids, including a 5 month old, so I had to pick my battles carefully. Without kids I would have hit up several Phish shows as well. Oh well.

I'm with you.. went to the ticketmaster in AC to try to get tix, and still shut out! Lottery too. :evil:

So are we going to slum around and try and get tix? We have a hook up at work through Wanamaker and they quoted me at $225 including fees for Halloween. Hopefully it drops a tad but not looking good. Are you going to Reading?
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Anyone on the couch tour tonight?
    Yep I brought it back... Sick week coming up for me and I'm all geeked up. However, I'm still ooking for tix. For PJ, I need Brooklyn 1...Brooklyn 2...and Philly 2. For, Phish I need Worcester 1 and Worcester 2. Already got my Hartford. So for the 6 shows I'm going too, I only have tix for 1 of them. Lol. Thought maybe you heads might have extras. PM if you do. Thanks!
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

I only have tix for Reading but I'm really trying to shoot over to AC for Halloween. This might be impossible to top as far as a single month for concerts go. 6 PJ shows and most likely 2 Phish....Jesus, I might actually have to start selling some posters, ha.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,686
    I can't believe I started an 8 page thread on phish!!! :lol:
    EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
    London,ON - 2013
    Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018
    tinz. wrote:
    I can't believe I started an 8 page thread on phish!!! :lol:

You sir, are a good man! (or women)

I only have tix for Reading but I'm really trying to shoot over to AC for Halloween. This might be impossible to top as far as a single month for concerts go. 6 PJ shows and most likely 2 Phish....Jesus, I might actually have to start selling some posters, ha.

What posters you got? :)

Bdog10 wrote:

What posters you got? :)

Lol...ones I am willing to let go? Not many at all when it comes to PJ. But there are a few floating around in my trades and collection I wouldn't mind thinning out. Although the Stout's are more or less off limits unless we are talking big time offers :D

http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=33818
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway