Options

so listened to Phish for the first time..

Comments

• Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    Mike = UFC Champion

Trey = Jedi

this.

mike would probably admit trey is a whole league above him (but mike is my fav. member of PJ :)

and you can't compare the two bands, they are completely different styles of music.
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    I have never bothered to listen to a Phish song on purpose. I already know what they are. If I ever decide to do shrooms again and they are playing a live show nearby, I'd probably go. That is about it.

:shh: ..................................... :shifty:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    I love Mike but its true....anyone who has the slighest bit of musical knowledge knows Trey is in an entire different league than Mike. Trey can jam, maybe if PJ would let Mike loose more often but that'll never happen. Mike's definitely the best guitarist out of the whole 90s class though. Too many people on here strictly listen to PJ, SG, AiC and the other "grunge" bands. So they won't understand Phish or how a song can elapse 4 minutes lol.
    I have a lot of musical knowledge and disagree. Trey is skilled, but doesn't have as much soul in his playing as Mike, and that makes Mike better. Soul is an important factor... Not that Trey has none, but I don't think he's in the same ballpark with mike as far as that goes.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jmosherjmosher Posts: 34
    A friend of mine is a big Phish fan. He loves their audience bootlegs and plays them at work. After about 4 hours of Phish I asked him; "Has this been the same song this whole time?" And I'm not kidding.

Although they did do a couple Floyd covers that were pretty damn good. I'll stick with PJ.

Jeremy
  • Options
    pearljam133pearljam133 Posts: 202
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I love Mike but its true....anyone who has the slighest bit of musical knowledge knows Trey is in an entire different league than Mike. Trey can jam, maybe if PJ would let Mike loose more often but that'll never happen. Mike's definitely the best guitarist out of the whole 90s class though. Too many people on here strictly listen to PJ, SG, AiC and the other "grunge" bands. So they won't understand Phish or how a song can elapse 4 minutes lol.
    I have a lot of musical knowledge and disagree. Trey is skilled, but doesn't have as much soul in his playing as Mike, and that makes Mike better. Soul is an important factor... Not that Trey has none, but I don't think he's in the same ballpark with mike as far as that goes.
    Dude, Mike's solos rarely go over 1:30 minutes. You can't show too much "soul" in that amount of time. Trey has much more soul, and much more emotion in his playing style. Not bashing Mike, I love Mike but it's just not a good comparison. Black rips my heart out when Mike solos on it.....
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field
    10/11/2013 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    frisbiecfrisbiec Seattle, WA Posts: 112
    Remove yourself from comfort . . . all progress involves risk
  • Options
    Mamasan BrenMamasan Bren Posts: 959
    I like em both. I saw Phish live for the first time in '94 and PJ in '95. I last saw them both last week in Chicago and loved it. They're just different styles. Mike and Trey are both world-class. Comparisons are odious at this point. Phish is celebrating their 30th year as a band with nothing more than their normal summer tour run, and like PJ just announced fall dates. I love their Halloween show tradition of covering an entire band's album as they've done with the Stones Exile on Main St., The Who's Quadrophenia, the Beatles' White Album, the Talking Heads' Remain in Light etc. Trey has a ton of soul.

Scroll from A to Z and look at all of the covers they've done:
    http://phish.net/song/

Another thread on them already done:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=199067

A post I did in a different thread with a cool interview link:

Here's an interview with our man Trey that aired on PBS yesterday. I found it to be quite cool. He comments on his side projects and the worthiness of his time spent doing them, which perhaps can give us an idea about why our five guys all are doing their things. He also talks on changes in the music industry. BTW this is Phish's 30th year! Some nice quotes:

"I watch the audience all night. I want people to have a good time. I want people to be in a state of release. It's a reason for living for me. If I see somebody lit up in the audience, that's enough for me. It's not really about the band playing well. I want to see somebody momentarily released from the drudgery of normal life."

"Music saved my life....Music has always been there for me. It's always been a healthy escape for me and parachute when things are going wrong. If I can provide a tiny bit of that for somebody else, nothing could make me happier."

http://www.relix.com/blogs/picks-and-pa ... -interview
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    rather than just say cutesy little things putting Mike down, let me explain more...i think my issues with Mike's solos is there isn't much melodic substance...he mostly does a lot of fast 'deedly deedly deedly dee" stuff in solos like Even Flow

one of my favorite moments of one of Mike's solos in the Black solo from Lo2L, where towards the end, he kind of does the Black melody line and does a variation on it...that gives me chills

but Trey has it all over Mike in terms of other-worldy guitar skills
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    Oh man the tie dye lovers are gonna go off if you offend Phish.Super boring in my opinion.Yeah dude has chops,But I think Hard to appreciate while bored to death and asleep from a lead that lasts for 2 hrs.Each to their own,just not for me I guess.Give me Mccready any day.
  • Options
    JK36392JK36392 Posts: 840
    in not a big phish guy, but love jam band music. I respect that they gave a partial refund for that Friday night show and then played 3 sets Saturday... just saying.
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    BOOMERS!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    thats too bad. I had the unique opportunity to see Phish before they were huge. They were just a goofy college band I got to see for $3 back in 1989 at Keene State College in NH. I liked them. The vibe was fun. I like jam bands. Saw them a bunch of times through out the 90's. The last show I went to was the Great Went up in Limestone, ME I believe that was 1998.

The first time I saw Pearl Jam was 1994 at the Orpheum. And I havent stopped yet. I have seen more PJ shows then Phish shows now.

I do not find these bands to be comparable. There are different on so many levels. I love them both because of that.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    tinz. wrote:
    aweful :lol:

so u listened to 1 band 1 time and call them awful?

are u still in high school? serious question.

ever see a band, that on cd you think are less than perfect, but when u see them live u totally get it??
    ever listen to a cd once and shelf it because you didn't connect with it, and then months/years later spin it 10 times and wonder why you even thought that way in the first place?
    don't limit yourself. it's a mistake.
  • Options
    PorchRatsPorchRats Albany, NY Posts: 164
    While PJ is by far my favorite band Phish is definitely in my top 10. Live they can be truly amazing and in terms of musical talent and ability I would put them up against anybody no question. The thing that keeps them from being an all time great band for me is that lyrically they just don't have it. PJ has great music and powerful lyrics Phish really is ALL about the music (which again I feel is great). The thing I love about Phish though is that they can absolutely cover ANYTHING and do it well.

If you haven't given them a listen def check them out. I guarantee there are at least 5-10 songs you will love. Listen to Tweezer Reprise and tell me that song isn't fucking awesome!
    2000: Saratoga
    2003: Albany, Hartford, Camden 1+2,
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston 2,
    2008: Mansfield,
    2010 MSG 1+2,
    2011: Alpine Valley 1+2
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn 1+2, Philly 1+2, Hartford
  • Options
    I don't like bands that turn a 5 minute song into a 15 minute song. Self indulgent. Just play another song already. Bores me to tears.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Dude, Mike's solos rarely go over 1:30 minutes. You can't show too much "soul" in that amount of time. Trey has much more soul, and much more emotion in his playing style. Not bashing Mike, I love Mike but it's just not a good comparison. Black rips my heart out when Mike solos on it.....
    Well all I know is that I've seen mike play up close, and I've seen trey play pretty close up, and mike gave me goosebumps and left me speechless with the feeling he emoted in his playing and I could barely tear my eyes off of him to watch EV rocking out, and trey left me mostly gazing off at the crowd, which felt a lot more inspiring than his playing, as skilled as it may be.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    PorchRats wrote:
    While PJ is by far my favorite band Phish is definitely in my top 10. Live they can be truly amazing and in terms of musical talent and ability I would put them up against anybody no question. The thing that keeps them from being an all time great band for me is that lyrically they just don't have it. PJ has great music and powerful lyrics Phish really is ALL about the music (which again I feel is great). The thing I love about Phish though is that they can absolutely cover ANYTHING and do it well.

If you haven't given them a listen def check them out. I guarantee there are at least 5-10 songs you will love. Listen to Tweezer Reprise and tell me that song isn't fucking awesome!

Exactly!!!!!!!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    I am bias, as Phish ties PJ as my favorite band, followed closely by the dead. Phish is the only band I've seen live more times than PJ (60+), but they are also way easier to catch. Phish is not everyone's cup of tea. You will rarely find meaningful lyrics that stay with you for decades like Eddie's. What you will find is endless energy, creativity, and talent. They are four AMAZING musicians. And I don't know if I'll ever get to see a musician like Trey again. Their shows are a great time. They have so many quirks and so much personality, and they are exceptional within their craft. As I said, I'm bias, but I don't think there is any reason for people to dismiss them so quickly without giving their actual music a listen.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    A guy I worked with many years ago let me borrow a bunch of his Phish albums and I really did try. I listened to all of them and just couldn't get into them at all. None of the songs really stood out and were much too long and drawn out. I can't imagine how drawn out they are live.
  • Options
    I am bias, as Phish ties PJ as my favorite band, followed closely by the dead. Phish is the only band I've seen live more times than PJ (60+), but they are also way easier to catch. Phish is not everyone's cup of tea. You will rarely find meaningful lyrics that stay with you for decades like Eddie's. What you will find is endless energy, creativity, and talent. They are four AMAZING musicians. And I don't know if I'll ever get to see a musician like Trey again. Their shows are a great time. They have so many quirks and so much personality, and they are exceptional within their craft. As I said, I'm bias, but I don't think there is any reason for people to dismiss them so quickly without giving their actual music a listen.
    Icompletely agree that their show was a great time. Enough so that I'd happily go to another one.... But personality? I didn't see any of that (I only saw them once, although also noticed the same thing when I watched some live audience boots on YouTube before I saw them). They stand completely stationary on stage all the time and don't talk or really interact with the crowd. They just stand there and play. I am not put to bash them because it was still such a good vibe at the show thanks to their fans, but I get the feeling that maybe their fans are overestimating the power of the band because the fan base has managed to make the shows more than they actually are as far as the performance and personality of the band goes. :think: That said, kudos to Phish for gathering up such an enthusiastic fan base and playing for so long and so often. Goes to show what prolific touring can accomplish.
    ... And again I acknowledge that all.of my opinions are based on seeing only one show, so admittedly there is probably plenty that I don't know about them.... However, sometimes one show is enough to judge. In the end, it's all just a matter of taste and perception anyway.
  • Options
    dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Icompletely agree that their show was a great time. Enough so that I'd happily go to another one.... But personality? I didn't see any of that (I only saw them once, although also noticed the same thing when I watched some live audience boots on YouTube before I saw them). They stand completely stationary on stage all the time and don't talk or really interact with the crowd. They just stand there and play. I am not put to bash them because it was still such a good vibe at the show thanks to their fans, but I get the feeling that maybe their fans are overestimating the power of the band because the fan base has managed to make the shows more than they actually are as far as the performance and personality of the band goes. :think: That said, kudos to Phish for gathering up such an enthusiastic fan base and playing for so long and so often. Goes to show what prolific touring can accomplish.
    ... And again I acknowledge that all.of my opinions are based on seeing only one show, so admittedly there is probably plenty that I don't know about them.... However, sometimes one show is enough to judge. In the end, it's all just a matter of taste and perception anyway.

No personality?! Alright, you've got to watch their synchronized mini trampoline act during You Enjoy Myself. Or their run-away golf cart extravaganza they provided last new years!

Here's a decent one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6moRWGxkXY
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

No personality?! Alright, you've got to watch their synchronized mini trampoline act during You Enjoy Myself. Or their run-away golf cart extravaganza they provided last new years!

Here's a decent one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6moRWGxkXY
    :lol: Okay, that's a bit better (and kind of bizarrely entertaining). Maybe they just need to be more consistent in bringing their personality to the stage.
  • Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Personally I think Mike is playing better now than at any point in his career.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    sawyerjamsawyerjam Posts: 140
    Mike isn't even the best guitarist in his own band. Stone never gets the credit he deserves. Trey> Mike and Stone. Mike is souless compared to trey. You can tell who has never listened to Phish for more than 5 mins. Lyrically they have some great moments too, even though that is not their strong suit. At least Phish practices for a tour. Not like they used to but much more than PJ. PJ works the kinks out onstage. The first couple shows of every tour are a flubfest.
  • Options
    sawyerjam wrote:
    Mike isn't even the best guitarist in his own band. Stone never gets the credit he deserves. Trey> Mike and Stone. Mike is souless compared to trey. You can tell who has never listened to Phish for more than 5 mins. Lyrically they have some great moments too, even though that is not their strong suit. At least Phish practices for a tour. Not like they used to but much more than PJ. PJ works the kinks out onstage. The first couple shows of every tour are a flubfest.

While I wouldn't say a flubfest or soulless, you are right with the fact that people listen to half a song and just brush them off. I was guilty of this for years as I had no interest but once I actually listened it was on an entire different level. Their transition is seamless. Again... They aren't for everyone but when people say they aren't talented I just shake my head. My only gripe with them is I wish that Trey sung more but I am just nit picking. Here's hoping I score tix to Halloween but since most people here won't go do you mind entering the lottery for me :D
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    I don't like bands that turn a 5 minute song into a 15 minute song. Self indulgent. Just play another song already. Bores me to tears.

I'm sorry and don't mean to be mean or disrespectful in any way but this is just plain ignorant. It's called jamming, and it's brilliant improvisation. It's true music, playing. They take turns at what's called leads and runs. They listen closely to one another. One leads and can take the music in any pace or direction they want. They can go up and down the musical scales. As one leads, the others support until another steps up to lead. The intricacies on long musical playing are so sophisticated you'd have no idea. It's really no different than the highest form of all music: orchestra. The most talented musicians in the world do the same with their playing, they improvise and play. All the jazz masters did it and still do. The blues masters the same. It's about taking the music to new places inspired by the soul and the moment. It has nothing to do with being self-indulgent. A ton of Pearl Jam's musical influences have always done it. What you have to get out of your mind, is that Phish play all sorts of different styles. Pearl Jam is whole-heartedly a rock band. Phish plays rock at times, but is not a truly rock band only. Pearl Jam like to do it during rearviewmirror, Daughter, Even Flow and others. Search out the Dead's interview on 60 Minutes a while back and you'll hear them explain the true meaning and reasons behind playing songs out into greater lengths. Too often fans say what you're, oh just get to the next song. That is usually because they favor the one instrument, the voice and lyrics, and want it to return. But the music is made up of so much more than just the voice, of course. But of course anyone is entitled to their own opinion and tastes, so if they want the voice to return earlier or more often, well then that's their taste and who's to knock it. But just realize that long playing is a great improvisational art form. Phish opened their second set at Tahoe the other day with a 36 minute long Tweezer. Throw it on, close your eyes and listen to the interplay! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHR5XFJadw

And you can read a fan's attempt to break down the musical theory and themes inherent in the Tweezer 7/31 jam. http://phish.net/
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options

I'm sorry and don't mean to be mean or disrespectful in any way but this is just plain ignorant. It's called jamming, and it's brilliant improvisation. It's true music, playing. They take turns at what's called leads and runs. They listen closely to one another. One leads and can take the music in any pace or direction they want. They can go up and down the musical scales. As one leads, the others support until another steps up to lead. The intricacies on long musical playing are so sophisticated you'd have no idea. It's really no different than the highest form of all music: orchestra. The most talented musicians in the world do the same with their playing, they improvise and play. All the jazz masters did it and still do. The blues masters the same. It's about taking the music to new places inspired by the soul and the moment. It has nothing to do with being self-indulgent. A ton of Pearl Jam's musical influences have always done it. What you have to get out of your mind, is that Phish play all sorts of different styles. Pearl Jam is whole-heartedly a rock band. Phish plays rock at times, but is not a truly rock band only. Pearl Jam like to do it during rearviewmirror, Daughter, Even Flow and others. Search out the Dead's interview on 60 Minutes a while back and you'll hear them explain the true meaning and reasons behind playing songs out into greater lengths. Too often fans say what you're, oh just get to the next song. That is usually because they favor the one instrument, the voice and lyrics, and want it to return. But the music is made up of so much more than just the voice, of course. But of course anyone is entitled to their own opinion and tastes, so if they want the voice to return earlier or more often, well then that's their taste and who's to knock it. But just realize that long playing is a great improvisational art form. Phish opened their second set at Tahoe the other day with a 36 minute long Tweezer. Throw it on, close your eyes and listen to the interplay! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHR5XFJadw

And you can read a fan's attempt to break down the musical theory and themes inherent in the Tweezer 7/31 jam. http://phish.net/
    YES! Tell it like it is! I want to cyber high 5 you right now. I couldn't have said it better.
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field
    10/11/2013 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    Dude a guy I work with called me down to his office and made me listen to that 36 minute Tweezer today and it was mindblowing. Sounded like old school '90's Phish.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396

I'm sorry and don't mean to be mean or disrespectful in any way but this is just plain ignorant. It's called jamming, and it's brilliant improvisation. It's true music, playing. They take turns at what's called leads and runs. They listen closely to one another. One leads and can take the music in any pace or direction they want. They can go up and down the musical scales. As one leads, the others support until another steps up to lead. The intricacies on long musical playing are so sophisticated you'd have no idea. It's really no different than the highest form of all music: orchestra. The most talented musicians in the world do the same with their playing, they improvise and play. All the jazz masters did it and still do. The blues masters the same. It's about taking the music to new places inspired by the soul and the moment. It has nothing to do with being self-indulgent. A ton of Pearl Jam's musical influences have always done it. What you have to get out of your mind, is that Phish play all sorts of different styles. Pearl Jam is whole-heartedly a rock band. Phish plays rock at times, but is not a truly rock band only. Pearl Jam like to do it during rearviewmirror, Daughter, Even Flow and others. Search out the Dead's interview on 60 Minutes a while back and you'll hear them explain the true meaning and reasons behind playing songs out irnto greater lengths. Too often fans say what you're, oh just get to the next song. That is usually because they favor the one instrument, the voice and lyrics, and want it to return. But the music is made up of so much more than just the voice, of course. But of course anyone is entitled to their own opinion and tastes, so if they want the voice to return earlier or more often, well then that's their taste and who's to knock it. But just realize that long playing is a great improvisational art form. Phish opened their second set at Tahoe the other day with a 36 minute long Tweezer. Throw it on, close your eyes and listen to the interplay! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHR5XFJadw

Spoken like a true dead head :mrgreen:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I'd like to cut your head off so I could weigh it, what do ya say? 5 pounds. 6 pounds. 7 pounds..

Saw them do "Trampoline" in Auburn Hills on trampoline.. I was heavily drugged, but I thought it was super duper cool..

I dont own any albums, but I would see them again live..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13