so listened to Phish for the first time..

tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,686
edited April 2020 in Other Music
EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
Toronto - 2009
NYC Night 2 - 2010
Toronto Night 2 - 2011
Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
London,ON - 2013
Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
Buffalo - 2013
Charlottesville - 2013
Charlotte - 2013
Detroit - 2014
Ottawa - 2016
Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018
Post edited by tinz. on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    :fp: on many levels.
  • tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,686
    never crossed my path in my many years but thought id have a listen, now i understand.. :fp:
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    London,ON - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
  • Cheo RamirezCheo Ramirez Posts: 676
    Yes, boring
    Santiago I 2005
    Santiago II 2005
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Alpine Valley PJ20 I 2011
    Alpine Valley PJ 20 II 2011
    Santiago 2011
    Lima 2011
    Buenos Aires 2013
    Brooklyn I 2013
    Brooklyn II 2013
    Santiago 2015
    Bogota 2015
    Ft Lauderdale 2016
    Miami 2016
    Rio de Janeiro 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    they ain't for everybody

they used to be tied with PJ as my favorite band, but my love for them has cooled down over the years and my love for PJ hasn't

BUT..

Phish are the main reason i've never considered Mike McCready a "guitar god" the way most people around here do

Trey Anastasio from Phish has more guitar mojo in one of his turds than Mike has in his whole body

discuss.
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    they ain't for everybody

they used to be tied with PJ as my favorite band, but my love for them has cooled down over the years and my love for PJ hasn't

BUT..

Phish are the main reason i've never considered Mike McCready a "guitar god" the way most people around here do

Trey Anastasio from Phish has more guitar mojo in one of his turds than Mike has in his whole body

discuss.

uh.. :nono:
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    London,ON - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    they ain't for everybody

BUT..

discuss.

i agree with this and i fucking hate phish. trey is on a complete other level. anyone who even argues for mike exhibits how little they know about musicianship

and i fucking love mike
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    London,ON - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2013
    I didn't care too much about the music, but when I went to the Phish show in Chicago without having listened to more than a handful of songs prior to the event, I had a fucking awesome time. It had nothing to do with the music, which was pretty damned bland IMO (though it was tight - they were definitely together on it). The atmosphere was super fun and friendly and energetic. I'd actually go again just because of that. It was one of the best crowds ever. Don't give a crap about the music (although I wouldn't say it's awful or even close to it - just nothing that really struck me emotionally. It was just kind of there. And it's pretty fun to dance to. Not bad. Some people love it obviously). Just listening to Phish isn't going to make anyone a fan I wouldn't think. Going to a show might.

Sorry, but it's insane to say that anyone from Phish is better than Mike McCready. I saw a whole show, and nothing that came out of that guy compared to a good Mike solo. Nothing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Yup, completely agree. Like them or not, to say that Trey isn't from another planet honestly shows you know nothing about music. I have really started to get into Phish in recent years because they are so insanely tight as a band it's unbelievable. Sometimes they can get a bit too "jammy" for me, but they are far and away the most in sync band I've ever heard. They make it look easy to be able to go in all different directions then just bring it back after ten plus minutes.

I completely get it if someone doesn't like them as those type of bands aren't really for everyone, but to say they aren't talented is about 100 times as worse as saying Eddie can't sing. Personally, I think PJ, Bruce, Phish and MMJ are the best live bands you can see today. To each their own.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Didn't Phish cancel their show on Friday night in Chicago?

Didn't PJ play until 2 AM after the delay?

Oh yeah....
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    they are not my cup of tea, at all, but I respect the musicianship
    aqo2t.jpg
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    they ain't for everybody

BUT..

discuss.

i agree with this and i fucking hate phish. trey is on a complete other level. anyone who even argues for mike exhibits how little they know about musicianship

and i fucking love mike

I like Phish :shifty: ......I love Mike :mrgreen: ..........Trey is better :shh:
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    You think Trey has chops, Jerry Garcia was not too bad in his own right, back in the day!!

Mike is still a legend
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
    YLed2 wrote:

Oh yeah....
    i'm sure a lot more went into those decisions than "PJ wanted to play and Phish didn't"

didn't Phish once play a 7 HOUR set from midnight til 7am??? and every show of theirs is longer on average than PJs. i don't think Phish called it a night in Chicago cuz they wanted their beauty sleep
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • pearljam133pearljam133 Posts: 202
    YLed2 wrote:

Oh yeah....
    Your point is......
    Doesn't Phish tour every single year and give their fans a chance to see them....oh yeah......
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field
    10/11/2013 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
    edited July 2013
    YLed2 wrote:

Oh yeah....
    Yup.... although to be fair, I was at the venue, and there was absolutely nowhere to take cover like we had at Wrigley, and no public transit options that I saw (even with good weather at a normal ending time it was impossible to get a cab, and no train or buses that I saw). If it was lightning they were worried about, I'm not sure there was much of a choice if the goal was to keep people safe, since there was nowhere within maybe a mile for them to wait safely unless they had a car to sit in. And there were very limited food and drink options, all of which were in pretty shaky tents. Plus, the venue has a lawn that would have turned into a horrible mud pit.

PJ had it good with a building that had plenty of food and water in it and was a safe and dry place for everyone to wait. Plus, Phish were doing 3 nights at a fairly random venue, not a one night only show at Wrigley. They weren't under the same pressure to go back on. If PJ were in the exact same circumstances as Phish, they would have cancelled too.... Not that it wasn't amazing that they actually did play until 2am. While I think PJ would have done the same as Phish if they'd been in the same boat, I don't think any band would have done the same as PJ if they'd been at Wrigley (partly because I don't think any other band would have had the same pull at Wrigley Field as Eddie did).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,782
    I don't think any would have done the same as PJ if they'd been at Wrigley (partly because I don't think any other band would have had the same pull at Wrigley Field as Eddie did).

Plus Phish was a 4 show run as i recall. Wrigley was a one shot deal, plus Phish tour consatantly, or at least it seems.

PJ_Soul wrote:
    YLed2 wrote:

Oh yeah....
    Yup.... although to be fair, I was at the venue, and there was absolutely nowhere to take cover like we had at Wrigley, and no public transit options that I saw (even with good weather at a normal ending time it was impossible to get a cab, and no train or buses that I saw). If it was lightning they were worried about, I'm not sure there was much of a choice if the goal was to keep people safe, since there was nowhere within maybe a mile for them to wait safely unless they had a car to sit in. And there were very limited food and drink options, all of which were in pretty shaky tents. Plus, the venue has a lawn that would have turned into a horrible mud pit.

PJ had it good with a building that had plenty of food and water in it and was a safe and dry place for everyone to wait. Plus, they were doing 3 nights at a fairly random venue, not a one night only show at Wrigley. They weren't under the same pressure to go back on. If PJ were in the exact same circumstances as Phish, they would have cancelled too.... Not that it wasn't amazing that they actually did play until 2am. While I think PJ would have done the same as Phish if they'd been in the same boat, I don't think any would have done the same as PJ if they'd been at Wrigley (partly because I don't think any other band would have had the same pull at Wrigley Field as Eddie did).
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Tried listening to a few boots, they did some great jams but most of them were much too long and they did it every other song. Pretty boring for me but I get the attraction 100%. Trey is definitely on another level from Mike but I know which one excites more... :D
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    pjradio wrote:

This is kinda how I feel. I have two close friends who are big Phish fans and always trying to convert me. I think Trey is amazing, but the songs as a whole get boring after a bit. But to compare trey to Mike is weird. They are both awesome, but with completely different roles and styles.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Yeah, as I mentioned, it was a 3 night run (not 4), and not at a huge big deal venue either.
    I don't think any would have done the same as PJ if they'd been at Wrigley (partly because I don't think any other band would have had the same pull at Wrigley Field as Eddie did).

Plus Phish was a 4 show run as i recall. Wrigley was a one shot deal, plus Phish tour consatantly, or at least it seems.

PJ_Soul wrote:
    YLed2 wrote:

Oh yeah....

PJ had it good with a building that had plenty of food and water in it and was a safe and dry place for everyone to wait. Plus, they were doing 3 nights at a fairly random venue, not a one night only show at Wrigley. They weren't under the same pressure to go back on. If PJ were in the exact same circumstances as Phish, they would have cancelled too.... Not that it wasn't amazing that they actually did play until 2am. While I think PJ would have done the same as Phish if they'd been in the same boat, I don't think any would have done the same as PJ if they'd been at Wrigley (partly because I don't think any other band would have had the same pull at Wrigley Field as Eddie did).
  • 63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Yeah they were kicked off, they didn't opt to not come back by choice. It's like a 15 minute sprint to find cover at that venue. The one night only meant that PJ was riding that out and pulling any kind of strings they could to play.

And they also played an entire other set on Saturday to make up for it...I forget what the time was but I think it was around a 4 hour show? Someone might know better though.

PJ > Phish
    Mike = Absolute Beast
    Trey > Mike

Just saying...
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    I actually really like Phish.

I never pop in a Phish album if I'm listening to tunes at home, but their live shows are awesome! Trey is phenomenal! So much fun live!
  • GirlLovesPJGirlLovesPJ New Jersey Posts: 960
    edited July 2013
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    they ain't for everybody

BUT..

discuss.

When Dimi sees this, all hell's gonna break loose! :lol: (And rightfully so!)
    Post edited by GirlLovesPJ on
    2012: Philadelphia, Atlanta
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Worcester 1 & 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Philadelphia 1 & 2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Oslo, Gdynia, Leeds, Cincinnati, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2015: New York City, Mexico City
    2016: Miami, Columbia, New York City 2, Quebec City, Chicago 2
    2018: Seattle 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2
    2022: New York City 2, Camden
    2023: St. Paul 1 & 2, Chicago 2, Austin 1 & 2
    pjradio wrote:

This is kinda how I feel. I have two close friends who are big Phish fans and always trying to convert me. I think Trey is amazing, but the songs as a whole get boring after a bit. But to compare trey to Mike is weird. They are both awesome, but with completely different roles and styles.
    Yeah, that's what it is. The songs get boring after a while. A lot of them sounds very much alike. But again, if you go to a show, you won't get bored. I frankly barely even watched the band or payed much attention to what they were playing - whatever it was it kept me dancing the whole time, but in a distracted kind of way). I was having way too much fun watching the crowd to care about the music (and Eddie was there doing the same thing and seemed to really be enjoying it as well).
    Mike = UFC Champion

Trey = Jedi
    Yeah they were kicked off, they didn't opt to not come back by choice. It's like a 15 minute sprint to find cover at that venue. The one night only meant that PJ was riding that out and pulling any kind of strings they could to play.

And they also played an entire other set on Saturday to make up for it...I forget what the time was but I think it was around a 4 hour show? Someone might know better though.

PJ > Phish
    Mike = Absolute Beast
    Trey > Mike

Just saying...
    I didn't hear Trey do anything better than Mike during that 4 hour show.
  • pearljam133pearljam133 Posts: 202
    I love Mike but its true....anyone who has the slighest bit of musical knowledge knows Trey is in an entire different league than Mike. Trey can jam, maybe if PJ would let Mike loose more often but that'll never happen. Mike's definitely the best guitarist out of the whole 90s class though. Too many people on here strictly listen to PJ, SG, AiC and the other "grunge" bands. So they won't understand Phish or how a song can elapse 4 minutes lol.
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field
    10/11/2013 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
  • I have never bothered to listen to a Phish song on purpose. I already know what they are. If I ever decide to do shrooms again and they are playing a live show nearby, I'd probably go. That is about it.
  • GM151575GM151575 Freehold, NJ Posts: 340
    Ha funny you brought this up. I was dragged to their show here in NJ a few weeks ago. Luckily, I didn't have to pay for it, and had a good amount of beer. To me, it all just blended together into background noise, and I don't even think I would remember a song if I heard it again. Not my thing, to me I think a good amount just go for the "atmosphere" and/or are hippy posers.