Options

so listened to Phish for the first time..

Comments

• Options
    63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    Caveeze wrote:
    I'd like to cut your head off so I could weigh it, what do ya say? 5 pounds. 6 pounds. 7 pounds..

Saw them do "Trampoline" in Auburn Hills on trampoline.. I was heavily drugged, but I thought it was super duper cool..

I dont own any albums, but I would see them again live..

The only time I've ever listened to studio versions of songs was when I picked up Junta and Lawn Boy on RSD. Ironically enough they are some of the best sounding vinyl I have. Job well done.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I think "farm house" is a great album. really enjoy it. 8-)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    Caveeze wrote:
    I'd like to cut your head off so I could weigh it, what do ya say? 5 pounds. 6 pounds. 7 pounds..

Saw them do "Trampoline" in Auburn Hills on trampoline.. I was heavily drugged, but I thought it was super duper cool..

I dont own any albums, but I would see them again live..

The only time I've ever listened to studio versions of songs was when I picked up Junta and Lawn Boy on RSD. Ironically enough they are some of the best sounding vinyl I have. Job well done.

Like PJ , their "live" stuff is so much better :mrgreen: .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    I don't like bands that turn a 5 minute song into a 15 minute song. Self indulgent. Just play another song already. Bores me to tears.

I agree. Not a fan of jam bands.
  • Options
    Thought this was an interesting breakdown of last night's show. Take a look at the setlist....or "map" as it looks like an algorithm :geek: .

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/119057/Phish-San-Francisco-Setlist-And-The-Skinny-Night-One

Also, the longest song they played clocked in at 14 minutes. Figured I would just point that out.
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    Phish > PJ

And I'm a PJ fan

LOl at the guy who said Trey has no soul. Straight ignorance. Trey lives for music!
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    Bdog10 wrote:
    Phish > PJ

And I'm a PJ fan

LOl at the guy who said Trey has no soul. Straight ignorance. Trey lives for music!
    I'm a girl, and it's not ignorance. I didn't feel his soul like I do Mike's, which makes me feel that Mike is a superior musician. I didn't say Trey has no soul, just that not to match Mike's IMO. And obviously he lives for music; anyone at that level does.
    I sure do wish people would stop saying those with different opinions than theirs are ignorant...THAT'S ignorant.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Bdog10Bdog10 Boca Posts: 471
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Bdog10 wrote:
    Phish > PJ

And I'm a PJ fan

I'm a girl, and it's not ignorance. I didn't feel his soul like I do Mike's, which makes me feel that Mike is a superior musician. I didn't say Trey has no soul, just that not to match Mike's IMO. And obviously he lives for music; anyone at that level does.
    I sure do wish people would stop saying those with different opinions than theirs are ignorant...THAT'S ignorant.

I respectfully disagree PJ_Soul. I've seen PJ 45 times and Phish 23 (21 of them in the last 3 years) I'm a HUGE fan of both of these bands, so I can tell you that IMO Mike is not even close as talented as Trey on guitar. And this is coming from a guy who loves Mike. Just because Trey is not running around in circles or playing the guitar behind his back, doesn't mean he does have any soul! I will even argue that he probably has more soul because all the dude does is Shred for 3 hours a night on improvisational music. Mike plays the same notes (for the most part) at every show. And to me your comment was ignorant. You saw Phish 1 time right? You didn't get it right? That's a pretty bold statement to say about a guy you saw once,

And sorry I called you a guy :?
    "I want to go...but I don't want to go alone...With you I could never feel alone..."

Randall's Island 96 and haven't stopped since...
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    tinz. wrote:
    aweful :lol:

And you listened to...?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    If you think they are boring, or that all they do is jam for a half hour...then you literally have NO clue about Phish in even the slightest bit.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    PJ is my number one band.

Phish rings in, in the top 20 or so if I was doing some ranking.

I've seen PJ 32 times and phish close to 30 times.

Would choose a PJ show every time over a Phish show.

Mike McCready is an amazing guitarist. Deserves all the praise he gets, and to call him a guitar god is fair game in my opinion.

Now with all that said. Trey Anastasio makes Mike look like an open chord rookie by comparison.

Both have soul..... but Trey is other worldly.
  • Options
    Yes, both have an incredible amount of soul. Mike is a great blues/hard rock based guitarist. Trey is simply on another level. And if you want to see what Trey can do in a straight ahead rock fashion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjvXENEq7VA
  • Options
    Yeah I will never rip someone based on their opinion like one band being better than another but while PJ is hands down my favorite band and Mike goes out and rips it now better than ever before.... To say that he is better than Trey is a statement that is so ludicrous that I don't know how to answer it. For example, I personally cant stand John Mayer but that guy is unreal with a guitar. Bluesy as hell but to most people he is just some pop guy with shitty songs (which I tend to agree). But to write off his talent on guitar is just plain stupid. A better example might be The Beatles. For me they do absolutely nothing... Don't have them on my iPod, listened to their albums though and they definitely have some great songs but I just can do without them. But that being said... They are the absolute best studio band of all time no questions asked. What they did for music and still do is unparalleled. I personally like Zep, The Who, etc. better but I can give credit where credit is due. For someone to say that means they either never actually sat and listened to Phish with an open mind or they honestly don't know much about the technicalities of music. I just suggest to study up and give them a chance. You might like what you find out.

And I don't mean to come off harsh to anyone... I have just had some beers and am trying to get people to see the talent of Phish rather than sit and rip people. Although the one thing that isn't even an argument is the fact that Phish fans at concerts are exactly how you picture them... The vast majority are Weird, smelly, and just grooving in a circle for hours. Pretty funny to honestly. :D
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    Bdog10 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Bdog10 wrote:
    Phish > PJ

And I'm a PJ fan

I respectfully disagree PJ_Soul. I've seen PJ 45 times and Phish 23 (21 of them in the last 3 years) I'm a HUGE fan of both of these bands, so I can tell you that IMO Mike is not even close as talented as Trey on guitar. And this is coming from a guy who loves Mike. Just because Trey is not running around in circles or playing the guitar behind his back, doesn't mean he does have any soul! I will even argue that he probably has more soul because all the dude does is Shred for 3 hours a night on improvisational music. Mike plays the same notes (for the most part) at every show. And to me your comment was ignorant. You saw Phish 1 time right? You didn't get it right? That's a pretty bold statement to say about a guy you saw once,

And sorry I called you a guy :?
    m
    I already added my disclaimer of not knowing a lot - I am speaking of my own experience and perception. but for me, I CAN determine if I'm feeling it or not coming from a musician with just one show. it has nothing to do with playing behind the back and shit. I am not that shallow. it is solely based ony own emotional reaction within. For me, Mike's spirit fucking shoots out of him like lightening and it hits me. Happened the first time I saw him. No such thing happened to me with Trey. as far as I know, there is no objective way to measure how much soul one has when they perform their art. it is all about perception. and my perception is that mike kicks trey's ass in that department (and so do several other musicians for me). but I am glad that you get those feelings from trey.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Yeah I will never rip someone based on their opinion like one band being better than another but while PJ is hands down my favorite band and Mike goes out and rips it now better than ever before.... To say that he is better than Trey is a statement that is so ludicrous that I don't know how to answer it. For example, I personally cant stand John Mayer but that guy is unreal with a guitar. Bluesy as hell but to most people he is just some pop guy with shitty songs (which I tend to agree). But to write off his talent on guitar is just plain stupid. A better example might be The Beatles. For me they do absolutely nothing... Don't have them on my iPod, listened to their albums though and they definitely have some great songs but I just can do without them. But that being said... They are the absolute best studio band of all time no questions asked. What they did for music and still do is unparalleled. I personally like Zep, The Who, etc. better but I can give credit where credit is due. For someone to say that means they either never actually sat and listened to Phish with an open mind or they honestly don't know much about the technicalities of music. I just suggest to study up and give them a chance. You might like what you find out.

And I don't mean to come off harsh to anyone... I have just had some beers and am trying to get people to see the talent of Phish rather than sit and rip people. Although the one thing that isn't even an argument is the fact that Phish fans at concerts are exactly how you picture them... The vast majority are Weird, smelly, and just grooving in a circle for hours. Pretty funny to honestly. :D

I don't recall that anyone at all said trey isn't a talented musician. I certainly didn't. Mike just gets to me way more. I just don't feel it with trey. he just doesn't do it for me at a level that goes deeper than skill. so therefore, I say mike IS better than trey, and there is simply no way to argue that. when it comes to art, the observer's emotional reaction is EVERYTHING. it's ludicrous to say that kind of opinion is ludicrous. ;)
  • Options
    Anyone who knows anything about music would accept the simple fact that Trey is a better guitarist than Mike in every way imaginable. Soul? Well Mike has never improvised more than a few a seconds per song. To even argue it is pretty pointless.
    5/2/2003 - Buffalo, NY
    5/9/2010 - Cleveland, OH
    9/11/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    9/12/2011 - Toronto, ONT
    7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field
    10/11/2013 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/2013 - Buffalo, NY
  • Options
    Yeah...again my phrasing might be a little off but I think it's because you like PJ songs more than Phish songs. It took me a while to accept that Carter from DMB is probably the best drummer out there right now because I hate DMB with such a fiery passion it's ridiculous. Their old stuff is pretty great but now they have become a joke. But watch Carter live, and he is like the Trey of drums...Matt is great but he crushes him. As a PJ fan it's hard to admit both of these things but it is what it is. Because Pj's music speaks to me way more than any other band. I think I might make a thread for your ultimate dream band....a debate me and my friends have over and over again. Hmm....keep an eye out. This should illicit some serious debate :D
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    Anyone who knows anything about music would accept the simple fact that Trey is a better guitarist than Mike in every way imaginable. Soul? Well Mike has never improvised more than a few a seconds per song. To even argue it is pretty pointless.

I definitely agree that the argument is pointless. :D

I never know when to shut up. :lol:
  • Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    well i'm the one who started this whole "Trey is better than McCready" thing...interesting to see how fiercely some of you have agreed/disagreed

i guess it may have been a lame thing to say, but as a huge fan of both Pearl Jam AND Phish (imagine that), i couldn't stand to see Phish dismissed as just "aweful" hippie music with songs that are too long and lots of tie dye shirts and all that

so i thought id say that you may not enjoy their music, but as a fan of both bands it must be said that Phish wins in the guitar wizard department

having said that, Pearl Jam wins BIG TIME in the singer/lyrics department!!!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    so i thought id say that you may not enjoy their music, but as a fan of both bands it must be said that Phish wins in the guitar wizard department

Bingo
  • Options
    I don't like bands that turn a 5 minute song into a 15 minute song. Self indulgent. Just play another song already. Bores me to tears.

I agree. Not a fan of jam bands.

What do you do when Porch, Even Flow, and rearviewmirror go off?
    1/95 DC 7/95 Chicago Tor Tol Cha 96 AlpV I II Chi St L KC 98 BSB I II 99 Phx Vegas Fresno SBern 00 BSB I II 01 (met ed) Vegas Phx Fargo St. Paul Chicago Alpine V Indy Col Virg Phi I II MSG I II (got on DVD!) 03 Calg 05 Clev Vegas LA I II SBar 06 Lon Dus Cop Nij Bel 07 Phi I II DC MSG I II Har BOS I II 08, LA3/4, SD '09, MSG I II '10, Missoula, London ONT, Wrigley, SD, LA1/2, Portland. Wrigley '16 I and II. 
  • Options

If done well it's a thing of beauty. It adds a level of the unknown to a concert and, on some occasions, brings the entire crowd to a place they never thought was possible. That's what Phish does better than any band before or since. Musically they can explore territories like few other rock-based bands can. And when it all clicks, it's a thing of beauty.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:

If done well it's a thing of beauty. It adds a level of the unknown to a concert and, on some occasions, brings the entire crowd to a place they never thought was possible. That's what Phish does better than any band before or since. Musically they can explore territories like few other rock-based bands can. And when it all clicks, it's a thing of beauty.

Let me also add: I am not a jamband guy. I own 2 grateful dead CDs...both given to me. I've seen various bands live with mixed feelings. But Phish...I get Phish, or should I say Phish gets me.

I have loads of Phish in an online directory. If anyone wants to give them an honest shot, then drop me a PM and I would be glad to hook you up with some of my favorite jams. Long, short, funky, hard, tension/release, spacey...I got all sorts of stuff. Just say the word.
  • Options
    So listened to Phish for the first time...on vinyl. Good lord, Lawn Boy sounds amazing. Hearing new things. Mind = blown.
  • Options
    I also just scored tickets for Rochester through the Phish lottery. Now if you want to complain about Pearl Jam's lottery, try the Phish lottery.
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Got 4 GAs for Worcester, put in for 4 best available--score! PJ GA Hartford Friday, Phish GA Worcester Saturday! Pumped!
  • Options
    awilkins wrote:
    Got 4 GAs for Worcester, put in for 4 best available--score! PJ GA Hartford Friday, Phish GA Worcester Saturday! Pumped!

That is quite a weekend run. Well done, good sir.
  • Options
    StuffnJunk wrote:

Wo, wo, wo... Stop the clock!

C'mon... You have to give credit to gems like "I look into the finest box just to check my status... I look under the microscop to see Golgi apparatus." There's more...

Fan of both.

Would not say I am qualified to judge a Mccready v Trey battle.
    9.29.96, 8.28.98, 9.1.00, 7.5.03, 9.30.05, 6.1.06, 6.19.08, 6.20.08, 6.24.08, 10.27.09, 10.28.09, 10.30.09, 5.20.10, 9.3.11, 9.4.11, 9.2.12, 7.19.13...

2013- Brooklyn2, Philly1, Philly2, NOLA
  • Options
    Shut out again in the lottery making me 0 for the last 2 years since I started following them. ISO pair for AC and Reading if anyone out there wants to be generous :corn:
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    StuffnJunk wrote:

Wo, wo, wo... Stop the clock!

C'mon... You have to give credit to gems like "I look into the finest box just to check my status... I look under the microscop to see Golgi apparatus." There's more...

Fan of both.

Would not say I am qualified to judge a Mccready v Trey battle.

Phish has a lot of campy lyrics, which sort of work with their whole vibe. But they also have some great lyrics.

When I listen to Phish, I'm not looking for a "deep" connection with the lyrics. At least most of the time. It's quite often a form of escapism, and the goofy lyrics help keep the music and jams from getting bogged down.