Options

All it takes is a sharpie, a piece of paper, and a pen...

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    aNiMaL wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Survival of the fittest ? This ain't rancid dude.
    It is a rock concert though. This is not Justin Beiber. If you want personal space, you should be in reserved seats. If you want to be on the rail, get used to the crowd pushing behind you. Just the facts of GA.

:lol:

Sounds like you've not been at the barrier for a while. Yeah it's a rock show and yes it's going to get jumpy at times but its never a fitness test. Not remotely . Firstly the barrier provides great support and secondly people do tend to look out for each other... I've found it loads easier at the barrier than say second row.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    aNiMaL wrote:
    When did PJ fans become so soft an so serious? Relax, rock the fuck out. Do not expect personal space in GA, especially the closer to the stage you are.
    Since 9 people died in Roskilde.

I am rocking the fuck out... on the rail! I would like not to hurt people on my way there.
  • Options
    Dude no one expects personal space - when did anyone request this ? ... No one is being soft or serious .... No one isn't rocking out.

The topic was about trying to provide order to GA in a method that had successfully worked and was lauded this week by the vast majority.
  • Options
    EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 868
    It seems that those that were on the list were very happy. I'm sure there are those that weren't on the list that were upset.

I think when the band or Eddie asks everyone to police themselves they are talking about organizing a line system.
    In general it means to be civil in the pit area. If someone is out of hand knocking others down ask them to tone it down. If someone gets knocked down, help them up. But don't deny a kid the chance to be up front because he missed the unofficial check in.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Evensteven wrote:
    It seems that those that were on the list were very happy. I'm sure there are those that weren't on the list that were upset.

I think when the band or Eddie asks everyone to police themselves they are talking about organizing a line system.
    In general it means to be civil in the pit area. If someone is out of hand knocking others down ask them to tone it down. If someone gets knocked down, help them up. But don't deny a kid the chance to be up front because he missed the unofficial check in.
    How will not having the list have enabled the kid to be up front? There would have been a queue somewhere, just no list. I don't understand how that would suddenly improve his chances of moving up. And honestly knowing PJ fans, if there had been a kid who was a die-hard fan who somehow missed the queue, I have to imagine he would have made it to the front. PJ fans have gone soft after all (see post from aNiMaL).

Speaking of kids, I was initially in the wrong line with a 13 year old and his dad. It was their first time trying for the rail, and the kid's first PJ show. We finally found everyone else after some sleuthing. Not only did they make it on the rail, everyone else around him was very concerned about making sure he made it on the rail. They figured it out, as did a majority of people it seems. Again, it's not a perfect system and it's too bad that some people didn't get the word from the security people and got left behind. There's only so much the self-organizing system can do without something formal in place.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Suziemay wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:
    When did PJ fans become so soft an so serious? Relax, rock the fuck out. Do not expect personal space in GA, especially the closer to the stage you are.
    Since 9 people died in Roskilde.

I am rocking the fuck out... on the rail! I would like not to hurt people on my way there.
    I say lets keep Roskilde out of this. We all agree that was sad and tragic. But, truthfully it is the exception, not the rule. 99.99999% of the time, around the world, no one dies, let alone 9 people, at a rock concert. And, there are way harder bands than PJ who have never had anyone die at their show.
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:
    Did you mean they are not talking about organizing a line system?
  • Options
    nadahombrenadahombre Brooklyn Posts: 456
    It's been interesting reading all the comments as the opinions pro and against having a list system as the clear difference between the two is that those for it have experienced it in practice, those against appear to object in theory having not tried it in practice.

As I recommended to those who signed up on on Friday was to be away for no more than hour at a time. This allowed for people to attend the awesome pre party, shop for food and drink, find a beer, take a shower, etc.

I hope to think most of us agree that it's reasonable to accept that those who spend the time and effort to line up on the day deserve get as close to the band as possible and not fear being muscled or cheated out of it. I hope to think that it's reasonable to realise that once you have a list number you can't skip off the rest of the day either. If the world was perfect systems wouldn't be needed but we don't and that's why systems like this have proved to work for all
  • Options
    nadahombre wrote:
    It's been interesting reading all the comments as the opinions pro and against having a list system as the clear difference between the two is that those for it have experienced it in practice, those against appear to object in theory having not tried it in practice.

As I recommended to those who signed up on on Friday was to be away for no more than hour at a time. This allowed for people to attend the awesome pre party, shop for food and drink, find a beer, take a shower, etc.

I hope to think most of us agree that it's reasonable to accept that those who spend the time and effort to line up on the day deserve get as close to the band as possible and not fear being muscled or cheated out of it. I hope to think that it's reasonable to realise that once you have a list number you can't skip off the rest of the day either. If the world was perfect systems wouldn't be needed but we don't and that's why systems like this have proved to work for all
    If you stand in line and stay in line, you are only still just guaranteed to enter the venue ahead of those behind you. That's it. In no way shape or form does it guarantee you "close to the band."

An hour? No way would I let them back in front of me if I had stayed in line the whole time.
  • Options
    Kelly LeakKelly Leak Posts: 263
    Sorry, folks, but GA means GA....it's every man, woman, and child for themselves. If you want rail you have to compete for rail. It's simple.If you want less pressure on your body or you think you will need to use the restroom, put yourself in a more comfortable position. I will personally will be a 'piss bottle man' and will arrive early. If I am in line and someone attempts to get in front of me in line because they claim to have signed a piece of paper that relates to a spot in line, I will throw a fit worthy of YouTube fame.

Sorry to offend those that try and be elitist within the fan club, but for some of us, this will be the only chance to get the rail. In other words, go stuff your sharpie in a sack. I'll be on the rail urinating in a plastic bottle. Seacrest, out.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I have no problem with this list. As long GA is still GA it's a free for all inside. A free for all I will be happy to watch from the sidelines :D
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Lists do not equal GA, in my opinion.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    aNiMaL wrote:

Plus I'd rather be a few back from the rail. Better sound for sure and generally a better view of the entire stage. But, to each their own. My point being, if you want the rail, an opportunity will arise without having your name on some fan's "line list." Survival of the fittest.

Survival of the fittest is a poor way to look at it. Yes, there will be attrition over the course of a show and you're likely to inch up closer as it progresses. However, if someone is pushing or shoving their way to the front, it's a dick move and they best be prepared to meet some resistance. Is it worth injecting a bunch of bad energy and ill feelings into a portion of the crowd to be 5 feet closer?
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    I predict a shitload of "I lost my spot in GA!" posts once the tour starts.

Seriously, what happens when some dudes who bought a ticket of a scalper decide they want to force their way up front? They are not going to care about a list. And when they get up front, they will laugh at whoever tells them to move because they aren't on the list.

I think it's a good idea, but you just won't be able to enforce it once the time comes.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    As I've said those championing it have tried it, the haters not.

And to the dude who wants to piss in a bottle let me hold your spot for you so you can pee in a toilet and have another beer, then come back brother and let me do the same.

People who think GA is anarchy this ain't Pantera or Slayer and that fratboy attitude won't get you as far in GA, or in life, as you think
    Post edited by nadahombre on
  • Options
    VedHead2VedHead2 Posts: 112
    I just want to say that Graham did an awesome job. This was my first rail experience and only my 4th PJ show ever. I do not sit on this forum all day every day like some people and I am not in the "know" when it comes to these things. I will say that I knew when I scored GA that I would do whatever it took to get rail if it meant camping out all night. So when I got to the venue at 6am and walked around the building, by myself and saw people in line, talked to them, added myself to the list, was number 19, I was pretty excited. Then security came along and told us this number system didn't matter and if it weren't for Graham speaking up and all of us sticking together all day it would have been a different experience. By the time 12:30 rolled around there were 90 something on the list. So, this was no secret. And it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. Some of the regulars on this forum need to realize there are a lot more fans than the ones who sit on this forum all day and consume themselves in starting drama and bullshit. My experience at Wrigley was electrifying, not just the band, but especially the fans and the way they help each other out and stick together.. Strangers, trusting in one another and making friends. In my book the negative ones here on the forum are not true fans, just people with nothing to do other than obsess over everything Pearl Jam. Now, thank you to all of you I met at Wrigley last week. I will never forget the amazing experience.
  • Options
    milanmilan Posts: 447
    Bruce in Hyde park 2012.

Arrive 10.00 am
    Queue at the front of one of 20 or so individual lines.
    12.00 noon Lines let in one by one.
    Get to front of stage one row from rail.
    Stand in same place (3sq ft. reducing to 0.75 sq ft over the course of the day) until 7.30 pm when Springsteen hits stage for a 3 hour show. No loo break. Food and water in plastic bag. Lots of asprin and paracetemol for back pain, shared with many others around. And fuck off to anyone pushing their way to the rail "to speak to their brother"

That's what GA means. No Lists. Help the ones around you and ensure order yourselves but no lists please.
    '06 Milan
    '07 Madrid
    '08 Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    '09 Shepherds Bush / Berlin / Manchester / London
    Perth / Sydney / Brisbane

'10 London / Berlin / Lisbon
    '11 Rio de Janeiro / Buenos Aires / Lima
    '12 Manchester I / Manchester II / Berlin I / Berlin II
    '13 Baltimore / Charlottesville / Charlotte
    '14 Perth / San Siro / Berlin / "Live at Leeds" / MK
    '15 Rio de Janeiro / Bogota

'18 London I / Berlin / London II

'22 Berlin / London I / London Ii

(37)
  • Options
    gfnk001gfnk001 Posts: 652
    G, you did an amazing job. I was one of the original posters on the FB page about starting a list then found the anti-line and list folks on the forum. I showed up to Gate 'D' 6 am met Su May, then the father and son showed up and it was a great 30 min at that time. We quickly relocated to join what seemed like the real entrance. No one really knew where the entrance was but with a little investigating we talked to security and learned of what was happening. We took the initiative to find out what to do. I was #20 and had the best day with so many friends for the first time. Graham please come to Baltimore to run a list. Su May I hope we get to spend 14 hours hanging out again. #19 (forgot your name due to severe dehydration) let's be line buddies again. Loved every minute of it, loved how we all helped each other out with water, food, piss breaks, etc.

Steve
  • Options

Seriously, what happens when some dudes who bought a ticket of a scalper decide they want to force their way up front? They are not going to care about a list. And when they get up front, they will laugh at whoever tells them to move because they aren't on the list.

I think it's a good idea, but you just won't be able to enforce it once the time comes.

it really isn't like that, not at all.

No one forces their way anyway, and certainly not onto the rail. It might have been a while since you saw PJ GA but you definitely have the wrong idea of the reality.
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    Wait a minute. That's right. No one gets crazy at rock concerts. Especially a pearl jam show with mellow tunes like go, animal, brain of j or whatever! I know I'll be bring my knitting bag since it will be so mellow in the PIT. As I recall, there has been FEW pit open areas at PJ shows. Be ready to roll....I will!
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    VedHead2 wrote:
    In my book the negative ones here on the forum are not true fans, just people with nothing to do other than obsess over everything Pearl Jam. Now, thank you to all of you I met at Wrigley last week.

Be careful using "true fans". I would be interested to know what that definition is. do I have to support abortion to be a true fan because PJ does?

Anyway, I could argue wanting to be close to the stage means that the music doesn't cut it for you any more. If you need to spend 12 hours in line to enjoy a Pearl jam show then that sounds to me like someone whose PJ fix is wearing off. Just providing a counter argument. I don't care about the list because I will never get there early enough. The list is fine to me but I think it should exclude all exits except for bathroom and water necessities. No merchandies or pre-party runs.
  • Options
    Kelly LeakKelly Leak Posts: 263
    I wouldn't have put in for GA tickets if this line sign-in were a factor. If I wanted to reserve a place I would have put in for reserved seats.

I do not plan on behaving like an idiot once on the floor; I am 42 years old and the father of 2. Those days are long gone. However, I plan on finding a spot that I am comfortable with and enjoying the show(s). If you see a guy at Philly 2 or Buffalo that is strikingly handsome, has no PJ tattoos and refuses to wear a shirt with the band's name on it at their show....don't ask him to sign-in. It won't end well.
  • Options
    gfnk001 wrote:
    G, you did an amazing job. I was one of the original posters on the FB page about starting a list then found the anti-line and list folks on the forum. I showed up to Gate 'D' 6 am met Su May, then the father and son showed up and it was a great 30 min at that time. We quickly relocated to join what seemed like the real entrance. No one really knew where the entrance was but with a little investigating we talked to security and learned of what was happening. We took the initiative to find out what to do. I was #20 and had the best day with so many friends for the first time. Graham please come to Baltimore to run a list. Su May I hope we get to spend 14 hours hanging out again. #19 (forgot your name due to severe dehydration) let's be line buddies again. Loved every minute of it, loved how we all helped each other out with water, food, piss breaks, etc.

Steve

Hi Steve! It's Jenna..#19..
  • Options
    VedHead2 wrote:
    In my book the negative ones here on the forum are not true fans, just people with nothing to do other than obsess over everything Pearl Jam. Now, thank you to all of you I met at Wrigley last week.

Be careful using "true fans". I would be interested to know what that definition is. do I have to support abortion to be a true fan because PJ does?

Anyway, I could argue wanting to be close to the stage means that the music doesn't cut it for you any more. If you need to spend 12 hours in line to enjoy a Pearl jam show then that sounds to me like someone whose PJ fix is wearing off. Just providing a counter argument. I don't care about the list because I will never get there early enough. The list is fine to me but I think it should exclude all exits except for bathroom and water necessities. No merchandies or pre-party runs.

I completely agree with you about no exits except bathroom and water. And yeah, my point was really more about how everything worked great the way everyone worked together all day. And someone is always going to bitch, no matter what happens because that's just what they do.
  • Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,908
    bobtoast wrote:
    Hope you don't do this in BKLYN. I was lucky enough to win the GA lottery, sucks some 10 clubbers are bending the rules and making it reserved for the people on the list. No?
    did anyone read this?

"therefore there will not be a need for early entry. Please know there are less GA pit tickets available in the drawing then there are reserved seated tickets. If you are not interested in standing for the entirety of the show, do not enter the drawing for GA tickets."

Believe me this won't happen anywhere in the Northeast.
    Ithaca, NY-11/6/91 SPAC, NY-8/4/92 Rochester, NY-4/7/94 Toronto-9/21/96 Buffalo, NY-10/1/96 Barrie, ONT-8/20/98 Pittsburgh, PA- 8/25/98 Jones Beach, NY-8/23/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/24/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/25/00 SPAC, NY-8/27/00 Buffalo, NY-5/2/03 MSG-7/8/03 MSG -7/9/03 Hamilton, ONT-9/13/05 Albany, NY-5/12/06 Cleveland, OH-5/20/06 Camden, NJ-5/27/06 East Ruth, NJ-6/3/06 Chicago, IL-8/5/07 Bonnaroo-6/14/08 MSG-6/24/08 MSG-7/25/08 Mansfield, MA-7/30/08 Chicago, IL-8/23/09 Philly, PA-10/30/09 Philly, PA-10/31/09 Buffalo, NY 5/10/10 MSG 1&2 5/20-21/10
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,924
    pdalowsky wrote:

it really isn't like that, not at all.

No one forces their way anyway, and certainly not onto the rail. It might have been a while since you saw PJ GA but you definitely have the wrong idea of the reality.

True, 1996 was the last time I was in the pit for a PJ show, so things probably have changed. I just have a hard time thinking that there won't be at least a few knuckleheads, that when the lights go out, will bulldoze their way up front.
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    nadahombre wrote:
    As I've said those championing it have tried it, the haters not.

yep. that's it really.
  • Options
    I'm stepping out of this conversation now as feel all points have been made. Overall it will be interesting to see what happens come fall.

Lists aren't needed just the will to be fair. But I'll call bullshit on any argument that as PJhours fans we're all reasonable after the chaos that unfolded when the pit reopened after the rainstorm. If that shit happens at a regular show under regular circumstances there'll be no GA no more. .. a situation many on this board seem to want (mainly by fans rarely seen or heard outside this forum fromI how it sounds).

Having a list is just a system that's all, a tool to keep things in check. Anyway I'm outta here. See you at the next show... LA2 GA for sure (and LA1 GA if anyone wants to trade their LA1 spare for the other half of my night 2)
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    There seem to be a lot of people misunderstanding this; maybe many haven't been to a large show with GA? The whole idea of lining up and the list is just about entry into the venue and being in early enough to snag a spot on the rail. The number of people actually waiting in line will fill up the rail and maaaybe a person or two deep. Nobody's "enforcing" reserved spots once people are in the door.

If you're like me and have zero interest in any of this, you're gonna be fine. If the opening band is cool, I'll be in for them. If not, I'll probably stroll in 30 minutes before Pearl Jam goes on. There's no reason to get worked up over people lining up; there will be plenty of great spots.
  • Options
    BoltOfLightnin'BoltOfLightnin' South Jersey Posts: 708
    I've been on the rail for dozens of concerts and it's fantastic, but for my most favorite band in the whole world, I've never been even remotely close to the stage. I put in for GA tix and got them for Philly 1...I put in for GA tix because I figured if I did get them, this may be the one shot I have at getting up there. I am going to be there in line EARLY. List or no list. I may be by myself for awhile, but my husband will be joining me at some point. I promise not to let anyone else butt in line. But I'm not joking when I say I'm going early.

Also, when I went to Foo Fighters a couple years ago at the Wells Fargo, there was a specific entrance to the venue that was designated for GA.
    No time to be void or save up on life...you've got to spend it all.