Options

All it takes is a sharpie, a piece of paper, and a pen...

Comments

• Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,218
    this will never affect me because I dont need to be squished on a rail and close to the band to enjoy a concert but .... really ?? Isnt this a rock concert?? is this how far we fallen??

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    nadahombrenadahombre Brooklyn Posts: 456
    4Powers20 wrote:
    this will never affect me because I dont need to be squished on a rail and close to the band to enjoy a concert but .... really ?? Isnt this a rock concert?? is this how far we fallen??
    As you say it won't affect you... but run this way no one will get squished as everyone involved should have spent the time waiting discovering mutual respect I am the people around them.

Yes this is a rock show but this isn't synonymous with people having to be asses just to get to the front. I don't think that is what this band is about or who most of us are about.

Also the better we all do the GA the more likely this will stay a permanent fixture going forward... is this how far we've fallen? I'd say the opposite
  • Options
    This worked out so well in my opinion. Well worth the wait and very well organized. We got to meet and talk with other 10c members all afternoon. I heard (and shared) so many personal experiences, which made the wait time actually pretty fun. This was my friends first show and he was amazed at the sense of community and respect that exists within the fan club and the one thing (this band) that brings us all together.

The only downer was losing your initial spot due to the rain delay, which was uncontrollable. If it was a normal show it would have been perfect.

Thanks again for all the hard work and dedication that went into this. It was truly memorable.
    2008 - 6/28, 6/30
    2009 - 8/21,10/30, 10/31
    2010 - 5/15, 5/17, 5/20, 5/21
    2011 - 9/3/11, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12, 9/14
    2012 - 9/2
    2013 - 7/19, 10/15, 10/16, 10/19, 10/25
    2014 - 6/16. 6/17, 6/20, 10/1

EV solo 8.1.08, 6.8.09, 6.15.11, 6.16.11
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    The idea of GA is that anyone can get close no matter when you arrive and if you move from your spot its fair game.
    This concept seems reward those that are "in the know" and local.
    Not sure I like that.
    I certainly don't like the idea of a pack of people preventing others from moving forward. That is BS.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Only problem I see is if people in the queue start leaving spots open for their pals who haven't turned up yet. I.e. you are there early on with a couple of friends, says your numbers 1-4 but 2 more pals are a few hours away but you list them as 5 & 6. Not long after you get there more people arrive and rather than they be listed as #5 onwards you put them a few numbers back. That wouldn't be right.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    DarbyCrashDarbyCrash Posts: 223
    Suziemay wrote:
    Evensteven wrote:
    So let me get how this works? Some young 19 year old kid excited about his first PJ show gets in line at 9am but unfortunately he's in the wrong line. You guys in the "know" are in the right line or the one with the sharpie. So you organize it to get all the other gates to open late so you can easily get to the front. Then you deny this fan a chance at the front just because he happened to get in the wrong line?

I'm all about the safety issues and taking care if each other. I also totally understand not wanting to stand next to a huge drunk asshole all night. But I'm not sure I agree with this.

I would hope since we're all 10club members in the GA pit for the fall tours we can police ourselves and treat everyone with respect. I hope this magic sharpie doesn't show up at the 2 shows I'm attending this fall.
    The multiple entry is hopefully just an issue with Wrigley, most venues should only have one entrance. For Europe last year, the ticket pickup emails included very clear instructions on where early entry for ga would be for 10c.

I just want to be clear, though. No one was in the know about wrigley. We all walked around and talked to each other and multiple security guards to try and figure things out. It's not thst hard to miss a cluster of tired-looking people with wristbands. I did not know majority of the people in line before I spent almost 11 hours on and off with them :) In your hypothetical example, if the 19 year old sat in the wrong line, it would be because he didn't walk around and talk to people to figure out the deal. I was waiting in the "wrong" line with some others i had just met forbthe first time for 30 mins too because I chose to listen to a guard who didn't know jack. We felt uneasy, sent someone to check out the other entrances, heard of one were more folks were so we all moved. I'm sure we ended up behind some people who got there later than us but we also knew we were good for the rail so it didn't matter if we were 10 vs 20.

Oh I'm also just remembering that we got into huddles multiple times and hashed things out when there were concerns and everyone was very respectful of each other. We just all have to do the best we can to make it work and be fair, recognizing that it's not a perfect system and he ok with it. I think Wrigley was a great display of how we can all work together in the absence of an official process.

Exactly. We all talked to each other and figured it out together. It was a team effort. I spent 2 hours walking around the building asking people what was going on. It was so confusing, until I found Graham, my GA angel. Thank you again Graham, you are the best!!!
    I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am...David Byrne, Talking Heads

Regal Theater, 1994--most amazing night ever.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    boyo79 wrote:
    Only problem I see is if people in the queue start leaving spots open for their pals who haven't turned up yet. I.e. you are there early on with a couple of friends, says your numbers 1-4 but 2 more pals are a few hours away but you list them as 5 & 6. Not long after you get there more people arrive and rather than they be listed as #5 onwards you put them a few numbers back. That wouldn't be right.
    Did not happen. Write your name on the list then number your hand. I think this may have happened in Europe with the line police, no less, but not at wrigley. There were some line cutters behind me but folks were all just tired at this point that no one wanted to create a scene because they knew a few people here and there would not affect them getting on the rail.

Again, not a perfect system but worked out the best that it could have under the circumstances.
  • Options
    barger395barger395 Posts: 855
    nadahombre wrote:
    I'd like to thank the hundred or so people who bought into the GA list experiment a small group of us started early Friday morning outside Wrigley Field. Meeting everyone who bought in, and seeing this work (force of nature aside), was the highlight of my weekend.

Also thanks to Todd of Wrigley security who, just as the band's security had aided this process during the 2012 European tour, chose to work with all of us to ensure a hassle and incident free process through to field admission.

It's easy to criticise the benefits of a PJ fan operated GA list system at its relative infancy here in the US. Who are we to police eachother? Perhaps the answer is in this same question "who better to? The last people I want to share any PJ show against the rail with are adversaries, the first being those I've shared 1 (or 2, or 5, or 10...) hours queueing and sharing experiences with. All it takes is a sharpie, pen, a notebook and a consensus for how long anyone can step out of the queue for necessities (... beer, bathroom, merchandise, return to accomodation).

Eddie often asks us during the show..." take care of eachother". Perhaps we pick up this call even before the show.

Good luck for an awesome Fall tour, Graham

Great work G!! I know my friends Donna, Su May, and Chad really appreciated your efforts!! If only the after rain delay re-entry could have been as orderly!!

Cheers and be well,
    BS
    Seen the Best Rock Band on the Planet a few times here and there.
  • Options
    jened10jened10 Posts: 170
    edited July 2013
    To be honest, I was wary of "the list" after reading the "Line & List" thread the weeks leading up to the show. I had no idea what to expect, and after 10c saying we could enter at any gate, I wasn't sure how a list would even work. The way people made it seem on the other thread was that people would put their name plus 10 or however many people then once it was time to go in, those 10 people would all of the sudden appear and line up. This is not how this happened at all. My husband and I arrived at 9 and he jumped in line for posters and I started asking around about GA. A very nice gentleman who worked for Wrigley told me everyone was lining up at 2 in the "purple lot" and then at 4 they would take us to get our bags checked and green bracelets. I was happy with this info, so I found my husband and told him we would be good until after getting our posters. The longer I stood there (about 10:30 at this point), I started to think about the list and what if that had already begun...so I started walking around to find a group of people with red wristbands. Bam! There they all were right in front of will-call. Not hard to find at all! I noticed they all had numbers, so I found the gentleman with the sharpie...he gave me a number and I said, "What do I do about my husband?? He's been in line for 2 hours waiting for the merch booth to open at noon." No problem...hands me the sharpie, I go and give my husband his number and return the sharpie to Graham (I'm assuming?). I went back to my husband to let him know I would wait in GA line til he got our posters. When it came to lining up in the purple lot, everyone was super cool about checking each other's numbers and making sure they weren't in front of someone they shouldn't be. I was #58 and someone who was I don't know maybe 65 said you need to be in front of me. When my husband made it back, no one gave him shit about not being there the whole time. I met some really awesome people (even a guy who lives about a 1/2 hour from us in PA!) Super Steeler fan Gunner from OH, if you're on the boards, message me!! I can understand people being pissed if people are holding spots for a large number of people or for people who aren't there to wait at all, but this did NOT happen. If not for the weather, I would have been 2nd row right in front of Mr. McCready...it wasn't in the cards for me, though. Still rocked out about 10 rows back, and I won't forget where I would have been thanks to Graham and whoever else started the list. If I'm ever lucky enough to win GA again, I will be happy to be on a list that runs as smoothly as Wrigley's did. There were not line "Listlers" (which I think is a ridiculously inappropriate comparison, but that's just me.

With that being said, if anyone has GA for Pittsburgh and would rather have seats, PM me :) doesn't hurt to try, right?!?
    Post edited by jened10 on
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    Suziemay wrote:
    bobtoast wrote:
    Hope you don't do this in BKLYN. I was lucky enough to win the GA lottery, sucks some 10 clubbers are bending the rules and making it reserved for the people on the list. No?
    did anyone read this?

"therefore there will not be a need for early entry. Please know there are less GA pit tickets available in the drawing then there are reserved seated tickets. If you are not interested in standing for the entirety of the show, do not enter the drawing for GA tickets."
    It's not a reserved list. It's a list organizing people in the order they arrived so you didn't have to fear losing your spot if god forbid you had to go to the bathroom. Everyone on the list around me was there pretty much the whole time, save for going to bathroom, get food, drop stuff off in their car, etc. To me, it' worked the same as if we all showed up and waited in line to get in, only there's a list to try to prevent people for jumping the queue as best we can although it inevitably happens.

A queue is inevitably going to form whether we like it or not. For those willing to wait for hours, hopefully the list helps alleviate some anxiety.

Su May - very nicely put. I don't understand why anyone would or could argue against this, if you want the barrier get there early and join the organization. Or be the rebel and end up a pain In everyone's ass
  • Options
    ambrasjesambrasjes Posts: 124
    I'm Loving it! ;)
    Antwerp/London/Nijmegen/Werchter/Camden2/NewYork2/EVChicago1&2/Chicago1&2/
    Werchter/A'dam1/Werchter/EVA'dam2/EVLondon1/Portland/Spokane/Calgary/Vancouver/
    Seattle

Longtime ghost
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    GA means where ever you may roam....
    that's how I see it, always an interesting time
    gonna see my friends
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    If this is a way to save a spot in line for a few minutes so people can make quick runs it sounds awesome. If it stops people from moving forward to open spaces during or before the show once people are in the pit, it's a crock of shit.

It really reeks of a "I regular the PJ message board, so I'm a better fan" mindset. Most people aren't gonna ask about a list that saves their spot.
  • Options
    mleachmleach Posts: 106
    All I can say is GREAT JOB to the hand full of people that I got to hang out with at 6 am in the morning! Met some new friends that I will treasure forever... It was my first time on the rail and I owe it all to you guys.. My buddy Jack got a first hand view of what the pearl jam family is all about.. Thanks again Graham along with everyone else for a great time!!

Mark from Monroe Mi
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    If this is a way to save a spot in line for a few minutes so people can make quick runs it sounds awesome. If it stops people from moving forward to open spaces during or before the show once people are in the pit, it's a crock of shit.

It really reeks of a "I regular the PJ message board, so I'm a better fan" mindset. Most people aren't gonna ask about a list that saves their spot.

Don't see it happening in My Pit area that I will be at....I'm gonna rock and hopefully won't be a crock

P.S sorry in advance
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Just a quick snag post. I'l be aiming for rail in Nov/Dec so count me in for however it gets organised.

Please note: still ISO 1x 10c GA for Portland & 2 for LA2, Oakland & vancouver. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    DewieCox wrote:

I agree 100%. And many possibilities to assign numbers without someone being there.

It allows people to show up get a number and go on their merry way till they need to be back in line.
    You want to be up front, you wait in line. No saving spots or allowing ticket partners to join those in line.

Understood that people need to pee. Fine 10 min breaks ok, but none of this I need to go get merch or a shower BS.
  • Options
    presententspresentents Posts: 139
    This is so ridiculous! This isnt the DMV its a rock band. Here's how my night went. I got there at 5:30 walked to the home plate entrance gates opened at 5:40 walked right in, I didnt cut the line was short because there was a road. Proceeded to shoot the shit with some fans and my buddy and casually made my way to the field, got held up having to show my ticket and to get a green band, then I ended up 5 deep between Ed and Jeff. I spent all day eating deep dish, hanging at the hotel having some drinks, casual day and still was closer than I'd ever dream. Then the rain happens "oh no must panic about losing my spot!". Nope sure didnt, shit happens. So in the hustle of getting people out i get pushed into what i quickly realized was the VIP area, well I thought "hell i'll stay here till they kick me out", Chris Chelios had a crew of younger guys that where dressed similar to me and when they got ushered backstage the security guard told me to follow them, who was i to argue. I spent the whole rain delay backstage sitting on Jeff's flight cases, eating free ice cream, and talking to the guys that i got mixed in with which turned out to be the Chicago Blackhawks. So then we get to go back, once again no rush, ended a little father back but still within 20-30 feet of the stage. Moral of that story, life happens, giving numbers to try and guarantee yourself an experience is keeping you from enjoying what your experience could've been. Also if GA was full of rabid fans your spot wouldnt matter because we would all be moving and enjoying it, Iam blaming the delay but GA was BORING, a few fist pumps and about 3% actually moving. Holding on to the rail for dear life so you might get a pick or a high five or a $10 tambourine seems like not being able to see the forest for the trees.
  • Options
    bfbeck3bfbeck3 Posts: 31
    I'm sure I missed this somewhere, but the GA tix are just for 10C members, right? I, too, am going to Charlotte and was hoping to be surrounded by fellow 10C members and not a bunch of knuckle dragging, mouth breathers who happened to win tix to the show by being the fifth caller after the Nickelback song.

Also, how many folks are going to be in the GA area? Not looking to be on the rail, but pretty close would be ideal.

Thanks for the information.
    Memphis '00 Little Rock '03 Pensacola '12 Charlotte '13 Greenville '16 Columbia '16
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    I agree with those who think this "list" idea is kind of stupid. Especially since it is not official at all. It wreaks of entitled fans screaming "I was here first!"

What happens when say the person with number 5 in line leaves for hours, then comes back to take his fifth spot in line?

If I want to be "on the rail" at the show, I will make my way there. People come and people go in GA areas. It is not rocket science. As people ebb and flow, opportunities arise.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I agree with those who think this "list" idea is kind of stupid. Especially since it is not official at all. It wreaks of entitled fans screaming "I was here first!"

What happens when say the person with number 5 in line leaves for hours, then comes back to take his fifth spot in line?

If I want to be "on the rail" at the show, I will make my way there. People come and people go in GA areas. It is not rocket science. As people ebb and flow, opportunities arise.

You don't and won't see many leave the key barrier spots though
  • Options
    EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 868
    edited July 2013
    I'm getting a catherder put in for the shows so I can pee in a bag and not have to leave GA.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    This is so ridiculous! This isnt the DMV its a rock band. Here's how my night went. I got there at 5:30 walked to the home plate entrance gates opened at 5:40 walked right in, I didnt cut the line was short because there was a road. Proceeded to shoot the shit with some fans and my buddy and casually made my way to the field, got held up having to show my ticket and to get a green band, then I ended up 5 deep between Ed and Jeff. I spent all day eating deep dish, hanging at the hotel having some drinks, casual day and still was closer than I'd ever dream. Then the rain happens "oh no must panic about losing my spot!". Nope sure didnt, shit happens. So in the hustle of getting people out i get pushed into what i quickly realized was the VIP area, well I thought "hell i'll stay here till they kick me out", Chris Chelios had a crew of younger guys that where dressed similar to me and when they got ushered backstage the security guard told me to follow them, who was i to argue. I spent the whole rain delay backstage sitting on Jeff's flight cases, eating free ice cream, and talking to the guys that i got mixed in with which turned out to be the Chicago Blackhawks. So then we get to go back, once again no rush, ended a little father back but still within 20-30 feet of the stage. Moral of that story, life happens, giving numbers to try and guarantee yourself an experience is keeping you from enjoying what your experience could've been. Also if GA was full of rabid fans your spot wouldnt matter because we would all be moving and enjoying it, Iam blaming the delay but GA was BORING, a few fist pumps and about 3% actually moving. Holding on to the rail for dear life so you might get a pick or a high five or a $10 tambourine seems like not being able to see the forest for the trees.
    I'm glad you had a good time your way. I had a good time my way which involved investing the time and energy to get on the rail. You are assuming the reason we want to be on the rail is to get a pick, high five or tambourine. I got none of those things. Well, actually, I did get a pick but gave it to my friend. Being up close to a band is how I enjoy live shows, so please don't tell me it's ridiculous unless it somehow has a negative impact on your enjoyment, which it doesn't sound like it does.
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:
    I'm getting a catherder put in for the shows so I can pee in a bag and not have to leave GA.

You can't hold your pee a few hours ?
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

You don't and won't see many leave the key barrier spots though
    I used to see it all the time at PJ shows.

Plus I'd rather be a few back from the rail. Better sound for sure and generally a better view of the entire stage. But, to each their own. My point being, if you want the rail, an opportunity will arise without having your name on some fan's "line list." Survival of the fittest.
  • Options
    Survival of the fittest ? This ain't rancid dude.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Yes, because if they were there first then they should go in first, not sure why that is so hard to comprehend. Are you saying someone who strolls along when doors open should be able to elbow their way through and get in front of the person who was willing to wait since 3am? That is how fights and worse still, stampedes, happen. There is nothing official, unfortunately, so this is the best we've got. It's not perfect but it's something. The alternative is worse, in my opinion.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Did not happen at Wrigley. This happened on the Europe tour. What ended up happening is person numbers 6 and onward would have been all over it and gotten them crossed off the list.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    If a spot opens up by all means. If you are talking about pushing to get your way in front, that is unsafe and not cool. And guess what, the band does not endorse this behavior either.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Survival of the fittest ? This ain't rancid dude.
    It is a rock concert though. This is not Justin Beiber. If you want personal space, you should be in reserved seats. If you want to be on the rail, get used to the crowd pushing behind you. Just the facts of GA.
  • Options
    Also it's good you don't need the list ... But the fact so many people participating in it shows it is considered useful and helpful ....and that the barrier is a popular spot.

There's always the minority though

I don't see how the list is remotely elitist though or a whip it out biggest fan contest either ... That makes absolutely no sense.
  • Options
    When did PJ fans become so soft an so serious? Relax, rock the fuck out. Do not expect personal space in GA, especially the closer to the stage you are.