Options

All it takes is a sharpie, a piece of paper, and a pen...

nadahombrenadahombre Brooklyn Posts: 456
edited July 2013 in The Porch
I'd like to thank the hundred or so people who bought into the GA list experiment a small group of us started early Friday morning outside Wrigley Field. Meeting everyone who bought in, and seeing this work (force of nature aside), was the highlight of my weekend.

Also thanks to Todd of Wrigley security who, just as the band's security had aided this process during the 2012 European tour, chose to work with all of us to ensure a hassle and incident free process through to field admission.

It's easy to criticise the benefits of a PJ fan operated GA list system at its relative infancy here in the US. Who are we to police eachother? Perhaps the answer is in this same question "who better to? The last people I want to share any PJ show against the rail with are adversaries, the first being those I've shared 1 (or 2, or 5, or 10...) hours queueing and sharing experiences with. All it takes is a sharpie, pen, a notebook and a consensus for how long anyone can step out of the queue for necessities (... beer, bathroom, merchandise, return to accomodation).

Eddie often asks us during the show..." take care of eachother". Perhaps we pick up this call even before the show.

Good luck for an awesome Fall tour, Graham
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
    Excellent G,

Heard from several places you did an awesome job. Huge pat on the back for keeping it cool, organized, orderly, civilized and respectful ..... You Rock
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    this worked out much better than I thought it would. thanks for organizing!
  • Options
    Thanks PD... it was a group effort and I was simply pleased it worked for the benefit of all involved
  • Options
    ziobradipoziobradipo Posts: 253
    G... U and who else did this are awsome!!! It's not easy at all... But we have to take care of each other!!! Hope to share the rail with u someday! :)
    6.07.2010 Venice
    4.07.2012 Berlin
    5.07. 2012 Berlin
    7.07.2012 Stockholm

Some words when spoken can't be taken back
  • Options
    ziobradipo wrote:
    G... U and who else did this are awsome!!! It's not easy at all... But we have to take care of each other!!! Hope to share the rail with u someday! :)
    You bet... It's going to happen man!
  • Options
    ShortyShorty Ontario Posts: 1,160
    Hey All,

I have my first GA Standing (BUFF) tickets for the fall tour - and desperately want to share the rail. I am reading in other threads that security didnt allow GA'ers to start lining up until 3pm. Is this correct? Since I've never had GA tickets - can anyone help? Tips? What time should I get in line (if they allow it) so that I can get rail - or - damn close to it....

Cheers to the OP - what a great idea. It is refreshing to see some that are still happy here (the majority I'm sure) - and that this type of organization and thought go into these events, by members of the community!

Cheers
    Your Disciples Are Riddled With Metaphors.

08/21/2009: Toronto, ON
    09/11/2011: Toronto, ON
    07/16/2013: London, ON
    10/12/2013: Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014: Detroit, MI
    05/08/2016: Ottawa, ON
    05/10/2016: Toronto, ON
    05/12/2016: Toronto, ON
    08/20/2016: Chicago, IL
    08/22/2016: Chicago, IL
  • Options
    EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 868
    So let me get how this works? Some young 19 year old kid excited about his first PJ show gets in line at 9am but unfortunately he's in the wrong line. You guys in the "know" are in the right line or the one with the sharpie. So you organize it to get all the other gates to open late so you can easily get to the front. Then you deny this fan a chance at the front just because he happened to get in the wrong line?

I'm all about the safety issues and taking care if each other. I also totally understand not wanting to stand next to a huge drunk asshole all night. But I'm not sure I agree with this.

I would hope since we're all 10club members in the GA pit for the fall tours we can police ourselves and treat everyone with respect. I hope this magic sharpie doesn't show up at the 2 shows I'm attending this fall.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    I would hope since we're all 10club members in the GA pit for the fall tours we can police ourselves and treat everyone with respect. I hope this magic sharpie doesn't show up at the 2 shows I'm attending this fall.

Is this really true? How come on sites selling tix's they say GA, even on the regular Comcast tickets site for Philly? Love it to be all 10 clubbers.....I see free for all, if not...that's just how it is in Philly
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:
    So let me get how this works? Some young 19 year old kid excited about his first PJ show gets in line at 9am but unfortunately he's in the wrong line. You guys in the "know" are in the right line or the one with the sharpie. So you organize it to get all the other gates to open late so you can easily get to the front. Then you deny this fan a chance at the front just because he happened to get in the wrong line?

I'm all about the safety issues and taking care if each other. I also totally understand not wanting to stand next to a huge drunk asshole all night. But I'm not sure I agree with this.

Hi in my experience centre there is usually one GA entrance to a venue. As you'll likely be only able to collect the tickets on the day how it rolls is that the queue will begin outside the box office to collect that's where the numbering usually begins. Upon collection (usually it's been security who assists) people then move to the GA entrance. In Europe as the 10c grants us a early entrance over non club the line isn't compromised by non GA. It's really simple in concept and operation. Hey and if there are 2 GA entrances what's stopping g people running independent systems?
  • Options
    Here the many GA floor shows I have been to at indoor arenas there are many points of entry from the outside then once inside there may be 3-4 points of entry to the floor.
    Those weren't PJ shows. Even the Black Keys recently had pit and GA was open on both sides of the venue - 2 entry locations.

Like I said I understand why people are doing it, I just disagree with it.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Kathi wrote:
    this worked out much better than I thought it would. thanks for organizing!
    What Kathi said. Thank you Graham!!
  • Options
    Case in point...this guy was in the wrong line:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=212798
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    crazygeo wrote:

Is this really true? How come on sites selling tix's they say GA, even on the regular Comcast tickets site for Philly? Love it to be all 10 clubbers.....I see free for all, if not...that's just how it is in Philly

It was my impressions that the GA this fall would be all 10club but I could be wrong.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    just checked for next week Sat sale and it is listed

GA pit and Floor with general sale????

10 club only in Pit?

http://ev15.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerc ... event_page
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    crazygeo wrote:
    just checked for next week Sat sale and it is listed

10 club only in Pit?

I see that. Hmm? Maybe that option disappears when the sale starts? Or that means GA is open to public too so some general public will have better seats than 10club I guess.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:

The multiple entry is hopefully just an issue with Wrigley, most venues should only have one entrance. For Europe last year, the ticket pickup emails included very clear instructions on where early entry for ga would be for 10c.

I just want to be clear, though. No one was in the know about wrigley. We all walked around and talked to each other and multiple security guards to try and figure things out. It's not thst hard to miss a cluster of tired-looking people with wristbands. I did not know majority of the people in line before I spent almost 11 hours on and off with them :) In your hypothetical example, if the 19 year old sat in the wrong line, it would be because he didn't walk around and talk to people to figure out the deal. I was waiting in the "wrong" line with some others i had just met forbthe first time for 30 mins too because I chose to listen to a guard who didn't know jack. We felt uneasy, sent someone to check out the other entrances, heard of one were more folks were so we all moved. I'm sure we ended up behind some people who got there later than us but we also knew we were good for the rail so it didn't matter if we were 10 vs 20.

Oh I'm also just remembering that we got into huddles multiple times and hashed things out when there were concerns and everyone was very respectful of each other. We just all have to do the best we can to make it work and be fair, recognizing that it's not a perfect system and he ok with it. I think Wrigley was a great display of how we can all work together in the absence of an official process.
  • Options
    Unread postby Evensteven » 21 Jul 2013 08:24

crazygeo wrote:just checked for next week Sat sale and it is listed

10 club only in Pit?

I see that. Hmm? Maybe that option disappears when the sale starts? Or that means GA is open to public too so some general public will have better seats than 10club I guess.

I thought it may disappear too.....I need to get a single tix for one of the shows since only one was available to get by the club....as long as no NON 10 clubbers are in the front (except for the bastards who sell their 10club tix's, can't stop that)
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    In the "know" was sarcastic. But there does exist people that don't frequent this board or haven't been to Pearl Jam shows to be aware of these types of things happening. So there may exist a young PJ fan excited to be there in line with his dad not totally aware of wristbands or these lists forming. Then when he gets in to the GA there are already 100 people there and there are telling him where he can and cannot stand.
    Post edited by Evensteven on
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808
    nadahombre wrote:
    I'd like to thank the hundred or so people who bought into the GA list experiment a small group of us started early Friday morning outside Wrigley Field. Meeting everyone who bought in, and seeing this work (force of nature aside), was the highlight of my weekend.

Also thanks to Todd of Wrigley security who, just as the band's security had aided this process during the 2012 European tour, chose to work with all of us to ensure a hassle and incident free process through to field admission.

It's easy to criticise the benefits of a PJ fan operated GA list system at its relative infancy here in the US. Who are we to police eachother? Perhaps the answer is in this same question "who better to? The last people I want to share any PJ show against the rail with are adversaries, the first being those I've shared 1 (or 2, or 5, or 10...) hours queueing and sharing experiences with. All it takes is a sharpie, pen, a notebook and a consensus for how long anyone can step out of the queue for necessities (... beer, bathroom, merchandise, return to accomodation).

Eddie often asks us during the show..." take care of eachother". Perhaps we pick up this call even before the show.

Very nicely said... Thank you for posting it.
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:
    In the "know" was sarcastic. But there does exist people that don't frequent this board or haven't been to Pearl Jam shows to be aware of these types of things happening. So there may exist a young PJ fan excited to be there in line with his dad not totally aware of wristbands or these list forming. Then when he gets in to the GA there are already 100 people there and there are telling him where he can and cannot stand.
    I don't pick up on sarcasm in writing, sorry. Hopefully the kid and his dad would have tried to talk to security and would have found us. The wristbands I was referring to was the wristbands that came with the 10c ga tix for field access. If someone is willing to wait in line for hours I would hope they would do everything they could in their power to figure things out like ask multiple people what the deal is. Like I said, not a perfect system so your scenario could (and probably will) happen, but we can't abandon an imperfect system for no system at all.

Hopefully this is a moot point for the fall and there will only be one entrance for those shows. If not I need to officially retire from ga, or at least trying for rail!!
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I haven't been to a pearl jam show since 98 and I haven't been to a GA show since 95. So when I get to Charlotte, do I need go look for the people organizing which gate I go in for GA, or just ask somebody that works there where I need to stand in line?
  • Options
    I haven't been to a pearl jam show since 98 and I haven't been to a GA show since 95. So when I get to Charlotte, do I need go look for the people organizing which gate I go in for GA, or just ask somebody that works there where I need to stand in line?

Find the guy with the magic sharpie or start your own line.
    Just kidding. I'm going to Charlotte too and I hope this line thing doesn't happen there.
    But I'm not really trying to reserve a spot on the rail.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    slobberdog68slobberdog68 In Hiding Posts: 683
    We need this for Philly
    Awesome Job!
    Make sure the fortune that you seek
    Is the fortune that you need

• Options
    Mac DogMac Dog Posts: 79
    Good on you for taking it upon yourself for trying to organize this.

A collection of Springsteen fans has been doing this since about 2002 when Bruce went to GA for the whole floor. After some minor hiccups at the start it has been fair and used successfully at 100s of shows over the past decade. If you're interested on how it's done there for some ideas or whatever you can go to backstreets.com and do a general search for "GA lineup policy" or something along those lines. Might have some ideas that can help.

I would add that I'm not a big fan of GA but have been really impressed at how it has worked out at the Bruce shows I have done GA at.

Cheers
  • Options
    Evensteven wrote:
    Here the many GA floor shows I have been to at indoor arenas there are many points of entry from the outside then once inside there may be 3-4 points of entry to the floor.
    Those weren't PJ shows. Even the Black Keys recently had pit and GA was open on both sides of the venue - 2 entry locations.

Like I said I understand why people are doing it, I just disagree with it.
    That's interesting I'm not used to the situation of multiple GA entrances PJ shows outside CONA. As mentioned in this case just maintain different lists. Also in Europe the 10c have always had a banner up clearly displaying where the one GA entrance is. Maybe they will do this for the fall shows also

As for being in the know which is the GA entrance on Friday we absolutely did not know this information . There were 3 separate entrances people started waiting outside but we pooled together on the list. When Security told us where the entrance would be and when to start queueing we spread the news. I can only assume that if there were other GA entrance the head of security would have informed these of this too.

Ultimately everyone wants to know they get a fair deal and hey if a pure honest system works then all the better. This way just elimates confusion and any instances of queue jumping that do unfortunately occur. And also with an agreed idea in place that allows people to step away means people don't have to break their ass queueing the whole day.
  • Options
    Yes... Hopefully this entrance infirmation will be evident, or at least be communicated by security or the 10c on the day. In my experience if you're in the first 50 you'll get on or super close to the rail. Remember this is all about making for a cool and sage experience something that venue security and the 10c are all about
  • Options
    bobtoastbobtoast Posts: 26
    Hope you don't do this in BKLYN. I was lucky enough to win the GA lottery, sucks some 10 clubbers are bending the rules and making it reserved for the people on the list. No?
    did anyone read this?

"therefore there will not be a need for early entry. Please know there are less GA pit tickets available in the drawing then there are reserved seated tickets. If you are not interested in standing for the entirety of the show, do not enter the drawing for GA tickets."
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    nadahombre wrote:

Well said Graham, and glad to hear it went well at such a huge gig!! :)
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    bobtoast wrote:
    Hope you don't do this in BKLYN. I was lucky enough to win the GA lottery, sucks some 10 clubbers are bending the rules and making it reserved for the people on the list. No?
    did anyone read this?

"therefore there will not be a need for early entry. Please know there are less GA pit tickets available in the drawing then there are reserved seated tickets. If you are not interested in standing for the entirety of the show, do not enter the drawing for GA tickets."
    It's not a reserved list. It's a list organizing people in the order they arrived so you didn't have to fear losing your spot if god forbid you had to go to the bathroom. Everyone on the list around me was there pretty much the whole time, save for going to bathroom, get food, drop stuff off in their car, etc. To me, it' worked the same as if we all showed up and waited in line to get in, only there's a list to try to prevent people for jumping the queue as best we can although it inevitably happens.

A queue is inevitably going to form whether we like it or not. For those willing to wait for hours, hopefully the list helps alleviate some anxiety.
  • Options
    RVM414RVM414 Posts: 1
    The line and list are much less powerful at a venue with multiple entrances for GA. I was able to get in line at 3PM and secure 3rd row behind people who were in line all day at a different gate. Unfortunately the horrendous handling of re-entry back into the pit after the rain delay resulted in watching the next two hours from 30 rows deep.