Options

*** Wrigley Field Fanviews Here 7/19/13 ***

Comments

• Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,722
    Get_Right wrote:
    JS188455 wrote:

Exhausted for sure. The weather went from one extreme being very hot all day and toward the start of the show to windy, rainy and about a 20 degree temperature drop during the course of the 7 hour time frame. Original start time until the actual conclusion of the show.

Just a really really long day/evening/morning at wrigleyville. Getting out of there was a nightmare as well.

Nightmare for sure. I had to walk 5 miles back to my hotel...but you know what...it was all worth it. Pearl Jam once again turned a bad situation into something great.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    RichAtomic wrote:
    Anyone else get barred from entering Wrigley because they had a camera? Clearly a ridiculous restriction these days, considering just about every cell phone has one built in... but, whatever, I want to follow the rules.

I had done due diligence prior to the show, searching the forum for updates, checking every Ten Club email communication. Seeing nothing new I figured it was the standard policy as stated on the Pearl Jam website: if it's hand-held & no detachable lens, no problem. Imagine my surprise when I entered the security line -- eagerly opening my camera bag and declaring "just a camera and a rain poncho", expecting to be whooshed through -- and being firmly told "No cameras -- you can't come in." WHAT?!!? He gestured to a generic sign stating "NO CAMERAS" along with a number of other rules that Wrigley apparently slaps up at every concert event, individual band policy be damned. I was given no options -- no locker, coat check or anything. GET RID OF THE CAMERA OR DON'T GET IN. Having taken a train to the gig I couldn't return it to my car or hotel. So I'm freaking, frantically asking about (this was 7PM, a half-hour before the scheduled start time...) I got the "it's Pearl Jam's policy" from the security/Wrigley people and "it's security/Wrigley's policy" from the Pearl Jam people at the Ten Club ticket window. Both incorrect, both absolutely no help, a total Catch-22.

With no other choice (the concert was by now SUPPOSED to start in fifteen minutes...), I stuffed the camera in my pants and approached a different entrance where I was whisked through security without even being asked to open my camera bag. Jeez, had I known there was this express lane I'd have gone there first!

This was one of a handful of hassles I had with the organization of the show. I normally shrug off the complaints many have about Ten Club, but these were things that could have been easily foreseen and addressed with well over six months to plan. I'd seen Paul McCartney at Milwaukee's Miller Park the previous week and the Miller Park website had clear details on what was allowed to bring in to the concert -- including water, soft drinks, food and cameras -- all no problem! These details were repeated in all of the local media. It would have been nice if Pearl Jam and Wrigley would have publicized any deviation from normal policy. But it seems they didn't even know what the policy was, with plausible deniability all around. A disappointing way to start a long, frustrating evening.

(And don't get me going on the crap obstructed view reserved seats -- on the field, if you can believe it -- I was saddled with. I ended up moving to the upper deck for the encore, wishing I had been there all night.)

My wife had her purse searched. They saw the camera but didn't care.
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    PJammin' wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    JS188455 wrote:

Exhausted for sure. The weather went from one extreme being very hot all day and toward the start of the show to windy, rainy and about a 20 degree temperature drop during the course of the 7 hour time frame. Original start time until the actual conclusion of the show.

Just a really really long day/evening/morning at wrigleyville. Getting out of there was a nightmare as well.

Nightmare for sure. I had to walk 5 miles back to my hotel...but you know what...it was all worth it. Pearl Jam once again turned a bad situation into something great.

It was all worth it. We were staying in Rosemont. The trying to find a cab part sucked. We finally found one a little after 4am, luckily. The guy reversed the cab back to us when we yelled we were going to O'Hare Cost $50 but I was almost willing to pay anything
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    Berlin2000Berlin2000 NYC Posts: 111
    I, for one, was seriously disappointed with this concert. I do applaud the band for coming back after the rain delay, but IMHO they just did not pick up the mood of the crowd, playing too many rare and odd songs that only a few people wanted to hear. If you wanna have a deep track-only concert, do it in a smaller venue with only the most diehard fans who dig that kind of stuff. You don't need Wrigleyfield for that.

I was in section 239 and by the time the band came back, most of the people who had sat next to me in the beginning were gone. Saddest moment of the evening: looking down on a MOTIONLESS GA pit during RVM! I actually left soon after that cuz I was so annoyed.

This was my 6th PJ concert and so far, all of them have been great, wonderful experiences. I am really sad and still kinda stunned that Wrigleyfield was such a bummer.
    PJ: 2000-6-25: Berlin, GER | 2005-3-18: Seattle, WA | 2006-6-30: Milwaukee, WI | 2009-8-24: Chicago, IL | 2012-7-5: Berlin, GER | 2013-7-19: Chicago, IL | 2014-10-17: Moline, IL | 2014-10-20: Milwaukee, WI | 2016-8-20: Chicago 1, IL | 2016-8-22: Chicago 2, IL | 2018-8-18: Chicago N1 |  2018-8-20: Chicago 2, IL | 2021-9-18: Asbury Park, NJ | 2022-9-11: MSG, NY | 2023-9-5: Chicago, IL |
    EV: 2017-9-2: Dana Point, CA | 2022-2-3: NYC 1, NY | 2022-2-4: NYC 2, NY
  • Options
    Just want to post here, which I don't usually do, because of all the negativity. It was my 20th show in the last 19 years and really enjoyed it. Took a friend for her first show so that was fun too. Yes it was hot and the merch lines were out of control and there were no cabs after the show and the show was delayed for 2:30 due to rain...but

1) Met some really nice folks in the merch line and although crowded I thought everyone was in pretty good spirits
    2) Loved the opening and first time I had hear Release as an opener
    3) Thought the balance of 'hits" and new tunes and oddities was really good.
    4) Loved Ernie Banks coming out...thought that was cool
    5) Sat and chatted with my friend and other random folks and drank beer watching the lightening during the rain delay.
    6) Appreciated that the band brought lots of energy after the delay...must have sucked for them too...and they brought it all the way to 2am
    7) Jumped in a pedi-cab after the concert and paid him $50 to take us on a little tour and then back to my downtown hotel. Was nice to get some fresh air. Was in bed smiling by 3:15.

Hey don't get me wrong I wouldn't have designed the night that way but in the end was kind of a unique experience and well worth the travel. Had a blast.

PS. One odd thing...was drinking in the Captain Morgan Club at Wrigley before the concert and just strolled right into the venue. No one ever checked or looked at our tickets...was really odd.
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    re: SETLIST COMPLAINERS

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but that setlist was 1000% deliberate and intended by the band as the crowd control it needed to be. The "pre shower" set had to be slow. Ed/they wrote that list knowing when the radar said it would be "go time" to get people to safety before the storm. Play it slow and then break the news gently. If they had come out corduroy, solat, spin the black circle, etc and had 40k+ revved up and foaming at the mouth, the announcement that we had to stop would have maybe caused a little (to maybe even a lot) more rage and chaos. Considering this band's history with past crowd mishaps, they do and always will err on the side of caution, sometimes going "campfire mode" to ensure things don't reach a boiling point. They had to start Wrigley slow to ease people into the inevitable disappointment that they knew was coming in this age of many a recent concert stage disaster- especially when high winds are involved. There is a massive amount of liability too in having people huddle up for 3 hours and then playing til 2 am. It seriously is amazing, and a testament to what the band and organization thinks of us fans to come out finish.

Then as people are complaining they should have come back harder than "all the way", again it makes sense to have a song like that to ease people back into the concert in an orderly fashion. If someone is late to realizing the show re-started, theyre not gonna be too bummed coming out to see Ed up there alone giving it a go. Had they set up the stage and come out to Animal, Porch, Leash etc, there would have been serious rushing to get to the seats and there were thousands of drunk, overheated, dehydrated people who were in old, packed concrete hallways and would have been tripping over each other to get out there. I say smart choice. A lot of the floor people were inside clueless packed like sardines and wouldnt have known the show was starting again til they heard music. Not everyone was on twiiter, and a lot of people had no signal to even use a phone. The fact that All Night was next up just tells me Ed wrote this set at 7:30 pm while monitoring the doppler. His way to let people know youre getting a full show, put it all behind you and lets go.

If you couldn't enjoy the rest of the show setlist wise, I'm sorry. I won't say it was the best show ever but they did all they could from that point on to deliver. You have to appreciate what they did and give thanks to be so fortunate to get that show.

Lastly, some complained they scrapped Alive, YL, Daughter, Better Man, Baba etc, which surprises me, as we have all seen these countless times, if something's gotta go at the end, im ok with it. As for those who brought their wife or someone new, I get it, would have been good to have some of those for them, but I think the band thought "an evening w/ pj" was mostly diehards and scrapped some of the right songs.

I think originally they thought it was only going to be an hour delay and they planned to play all of those songs and still end well after midnight, but (according to someones iphone near me during the break) after the first storm rolled through there was a second, unexpected cell of storms forming that had potential to be just as nasty, hence an extra hour of waiting with no info, and the hour or so (with encore breaks) of music they chopped.

Like the show, dislike the show, but be appreciative of just how great it was they came out and finished for us. A monumental show of love to the fans.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 438
    I find it interesting that anyone thinks we'd have been better off if they came on right at 7:30. If they did that, they'd have gotten about 15 songs in ... and then still the 2 hr 45 minute rain delay would have come. And at that point, knowing they'd already gone for 90 mins, I bet it would have been a lot more difficult to convince the city to smash the curfew. My guess is that they'd have come back on for a few more songs ... but no way would they have gotten through the 32 songs they did. The whole reason we got to go till 2 is because the show never really got started before the delay, imo.

In any case, I loved the experience but totally agree with everyone who thinks it was surreal/bizarre/odd. I'll never experience another show quite like this, both for better and for worse.
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,886
    Glad I got to be part of this.. Loved the show and loved Chicago, everything about this was worth it all.. Met some cool people, big shout to (Kate and Carl from Wisconsin, hope I spelled your names right - Sec 226, Row 20), it was great meeting you both, had a great time...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    silver39silver39 Columbus, Ohio Posts: 1,346
    Just got back home, what a show!! The rain delay def sucked but we waited it out :-) It was my husbands 1st show and he wasn't the happiest waiting 3 hours to see them come back on stage. I was pretty happy they came back and rocked! Some people were obviously tired but heck it was almost 3am for us east coasters! Got to the train pretty quick to only find out it was an hour wait for a north train :-( by the time we got back to our place it was 5am! We were up on Friday at 6am to drive to Chicago, so we had been up almost a full 24 hours!!

Had field seats so waited about 30 minutes to get almost everything from the merch booth :-) Girl in front of me got the last pennant tho. Great showm can't believe I got to see Bugs live :-)
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    That was a special night. I'm so, so, so happy right now.

My only regret? Not staying at Flacco's on Thursday to talk with Emily and Hilary. If either of them are reading this, I hope you're both still making funny faces.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    k9s4Bernk9s4Bern Posts: 30
    Purposely, I have waited to post my review to read those of others - THIS SHOW WAS AMAZING! Anyone who says differently is........................(fill in blank with your favorite derogatory expletive)! Seriously, I have not enjoyed a concert this much for some time - and I have taken part of many epic shows - including the PJ20 double dates at Alpine Valley!

Yes, the weather sucked - hot and sweaty before - long lines for merchandise - it was past the 7:30 time for show starting - Torrential downpour - BUT - BUT..............BUT BUT BUT BUT - AND HERE GOES MY RANT:

ITWAS SO WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sister and I met so many awesome people - old, young and in-between - we had great discussions while waiting in line(s), laughing apologies to the poor guy whose ass I inadvertently accosted while in line as well as accepting the apology of the guy behind me who was inadvertently accosting my ass!

I have never been to a concert before that started on time - no offense here.

The weather evacuation was needed - please people, remember that our safety had to be considered - other shows have had tragic consequences - NOT THIS ONE!

THE SET LIST WAS IN AND OF ITSELF ASTONISHING! I cried through Release - had never heard Present Tense live before - CRIED AGAIN when Low Light (LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!) was played. CRIED YET AGAIN with the dedication to Sarah, 10 Club member Andy's recently past wife - WHAT A BEAUTIFUL THING TO DO FOR HIM!!! IT DID NOT GO UNNOTICED THAT DURING 'COME BACK' - LIGHTENING ACCENTUATED THE LYRICS!

Really, my first musical love was PEARL JAM - I enjoy all genres of music - but this band has the top place in my heart as well as my soul - there is a reason why those 'first loves' never leave us. It was sooooooo good to see them again - I truly felt like this show was as meaningful for the band as it was for me! A Pearl Jam concert IS always good, a 10 Clubber said that in their review and I agree. There was no 'rush' as some have said - when the band came back, it felt relaxed and more purposeful. There is a reason we are mutually FAITHFUL - pun is intended!!!!!

The second set was NOT disappointing - ERNIE BANKS for God' sakes!!! How freakin' amazing is that! There is no way the band can play all of their songs - there are just so many - for me this night - I heard my Low Light live for the first time- and I look forward to hearing Alive and I AM Mine, Of The Girl (among others) live in the future. Two new songs - Mind Your Manners - a new fave as well as the appropriately titled 'Lightening Bolt.'

Holy $h1t! McCready's Eruption!!!!! We were so jacked!!!!! That man blows me away! AND HOW CAN ANYONE NOT ENJOY 'BUGS' PLAYED ON AN ACCORDIAN!!!!!!!!! Some of my best pics of the evening are of Eddie playing that thing! His joy was so obvious - a nice break for the band, too.

Encore - I swear I cried non-stop - I consumed every word, every chord of Future Days - third new track of the night. The cover of Mother was an unexpected emotional delicacy - Waters would have kissed Ed then too (like he did at the Hurricane Sandy Show) - Stone's composed brilliance within the guitar solo was epic - he is just that good!!!!!!!!!

Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns - a return visit to the band's beginning - a beautiful and thankful tribute to the guys who brought Ed in and gave him a chance - McCready bowed thanks to Ed in return.

There is no doubt as to the thorough and deep friendship of these men - you can see it - I swear it is tangible! That is what I got out of this- it was beautiful, hard and gritty but with softer nuances throughout - PERFECT!

I used my "THANK YOU PEARL JAM" and "HAPPY BIRTHDAY (July 20th) STONE" posters to cover our heads and protect my purchases - who cares that concessions ran out!! Taco Bell right after was better and cheaper. Sue and I jammed the three hour drive back home in Wisconsin - we arrived at about 5:30 - just in time to take my dog pack (five total) for their morning walk.

It has been many years since I had remained awake for 27 hours - BUT AGAIN, IT WAS SO WORTH IT!!
    To those who did not enjoy the show - fine - more tickets next time for those who could not get them - As for me, it was a concert of epiphanic proportion - my sister is always my concert buddy and we are still talking about it. I am just so sorry it is over. I had daily countdowns on my dry erase boards at school for Stone's Moonlander and for the Wrigley concert- it will be a let down when I return to school and have to erase them.

It may be a while before the guys get back to the Midwest - I fully understand how fortunate we have been here with the Alpine Valley double and Wrigley shows - PERHAPS SUMMERFEST 2014????????????? It is the world's largest music festival!!

THANK YOU PEARL JAM - THANK YOU JEFF (RNDM in Milwaukee) and MATT (Sound Garden in Milwaukee) for those concerts as well - THANK YOU TEN CLUB FOR THE TICKET DRAW!!!!!
  • Options
    InsideManInsideMan Posts: 261
    Just want to give a shout out to a few people I met from Kansas, Boston and Pittsburgh (I won't name drop, but I'm sure you'll realize who you are). You all made this weekend that much better. From keeping ourselves entertained in the hotel merch line to sweating it out all day in the GA queue, you all rocked. I hope I see you all again in the fall!
    2009: Philly 3 & 4
    2010: Newark, MSG I
    2011: EV Philly
    2012: Philly MIA
    2013: Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Philly 1 & 2, Baltimore
  • Options
    childofthemoonchildofthemoon Detroit Posts: 60
    I have been to many shows over the years and this was by far one of the toughest tickets ever. Pretty surprising too since it's a stadium gig with 35,000+ tickets in circulation. I got shut out in the 10C presale and didn't bother with the public onsale. I live in the city but a friend was flying in from Detroit so we definitely had pressure to get in the door. We arrived at Wrigley at 6pm with no tickets and started walking around and were stunned by the prices scalpers were commanding. Hundreds for upper deck and thousands for the field. After making a loop around the stadium we notice that there are two box office windows located all the way at the end that say "closed" but there are about 20 or so people in each line. We split up and one of us gets in each of the the two lines. At this point it's about 7:30 and at least half of the people in line were scalpers. We're told that they have been releasing a pair of tickets every once in a while but not very many. By 8:15 a lot of people had given up and my friend is in the front of the line but we see the box office staff counting out their money and our hope is dwindling. Then we hear from someone in line who works for Chicago PD and knows box office staff that more tickets will be released at 8:30. We decide to hang around for a few more minutes --- by this point the band is coming onstage and we clearly hear "Release" being played and my heart just sinks assuming we aren't getting in to the show. Then suddenly at 8:35 the ticket seller comes back to the window with his money drawer where my friend is first in line and goes "you need 2 tickets, that will be $160." I start going nuts jumping up and down, and as we are running towards the gate to go into the show my friend says we got "Field M, 11 rows behind the GA pit". Needless to say this was an emotional roller coaster but it all worked out in the end. The point here people is that when it comes to tickets, you NEVER give up. Even if the band is onstage, you don't give up!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    GlodowskiGlodowski Posts: 10
    Seems like 50/50 split on whether this was an amazing show or a complete disappointment. I feel it was good but cannot use epic, amazing or awesome to describe the whole show. The fans outside Wrigleyville were awesome as I made friends w anyone who had a PJ shirt on. I love this band and they have been my favorite band since 1991. That being said I hated the opening 7 song set. Release is an amazing, emotional song but I was majorly disappointed to hear it first and Nothingman second. The energy and buzz before the show was incredible but they chose not to capitalize on it and brought the whole mood/vibe down. Sucked they started late too when everyone knew all week long Friday's night forecast called for thunderstorms. I loved the break because the beer was cold and i met a super hot chick to hang with the next day, but that is my story only. Second set was strong but I've seen better. Bugs? WTF??? That cost a time slot of Alive, Yellow Ledbetter, or Baba O'Reilly which were all on the projected set list and could have saved the show. Porch and Reviewmirror and Chloe Dancer were my highlights. Out of the 5 shows I've seen since 1993 this one squeaks in at third place. It should have been No. 1 easily, kinda sucks that it wasn't because it was designed to be a historically epic show. New songs seemed ok to me but just ok, actually the only time I sat down the whole night. The crowd left wanting on this one. But McCready was a true rock god that night when he was given a chance to use his amps. See you in the pit in Dallas.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    I have been to many shows over the years and this was by far one of the toughest tickets ever. Pretty surprising too since it's a stadium gig with 35,000+ tickets in circulation. I got shut out in the 10C presale and didn't bother with the public onsale. I live in the city but a friend was flying in from Detroit so we definitely had pressure to get in the door. We arrived at Wrigley at 6pm with no tickets and started walking around and were stunned by the prices scalpers were commanding. Hundreds for upper deck and thousands for the field. After making a loop around the stadium we notice that there are two box office windows located all the way at the end that say "closed" but there are about 20 or so people in each line. We split up and one of us gets in each of the the two lines. At this point it's about 7:30 and at least half of the people in line were scalpers. We're told that they have been releasing a pair of tickets every once in a while but not very many. By 8:15 a lot of people had given up and my friend is in the front of the line but we see the box office staff counting out their money and our hope is dwindling. Then we hear from someone in line who works for Chicago PD and knows box office staff that more tickets will be released at 8:30. We decide to hang around for a few more minutes --- by this point the band is coming onstage and we clearly hear "Release" being played and my heart just sinks assuming we aren't getting in to the show. Then suddenly at 8:35 the ticket seller comes back to the window with his money drawer where my friend is first in line and goes "you need 2 tickets, that will be $160." I start going nuts jumping up and down, and as we are running towards the gate to go into the show my friend says we got "Field M, 11 rows behind the GA pit". Needless to say this was an emotional roller coaster but it all worked out in the end. The point here people is that when it comes to tickets, you NEVER give up. Even if the band is onstage, you don't give up!

wow...good for you man!!
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    MstermistyMstermisty Posts: 20
    I rarely post here but felt a need to after seeing (surprisingly) so much negativity in this thread.

Everyone has their own unique experience at any music show, so I don't think the people who didn't have as good a time as they hope should be chastised, yet I have a hard time believing anyone could come away from this experience with anything but a smile on their face.

I have been to about 30 shows, and this one will definitely stand out among them all. Release opener, 2 new songs (have been listening on youtube...wow...Lightning Bolt is amazing), Bugs, Full Chloe (thank you god), Leatherman, new Corduroy--keeps getting better), etc. etc.

Most bands would have cancelled. Pearl Jam waited it out and played a full show. Mccready is making a case to be the best living guitar player on the planet right now. And no doubt he is in the discussion for greatest of all time. Unreal.

Me and my friends were scattered in different parts of the stadium and we all came away extremely satisfied and wanting more. And I will get that in October, ha ha.

Got out of the show at 2 am and by the time we squeezed on to a train (cabs non-existent) it was 4 am at the hotel. Slept for 4 hours and started the drive back to Minnesota. A small hardship for a great experience.

I love music and a lot of bands, but nothing comes close to Pearl Jam. They are a once in a lifetime band.
    Tradin' stories with the leaves...
  • Options
    CasCbusCasCbus Posts: 48
    I agree with most that I'm seeing here...while I am a little bummed at what might have been (8 songs cut), the whole experience with the atmosphere, crowd, different setlist starting out, and the whole story behind it puts it in my top 3 (PJ20 night 2, Wrigley '13, Pittsburgh '06). Getting to hear Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns was amazing. Ed's voice was in top form, and the band's energy looked great. I understand some people's points as well about the letdown, but it was an amazing experience all around.
    "I am myself, like you somehow"
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    First time at a computer to post thoughts. Mother nature was a total bitch. During the day, it was so hot. My husband and I got into the pit right at 530 and were near but not on the rail. Sweated like pigs along with all the other awesome people there that early. Loved the smile Ed had on his face when he first came out. It looked like he had waited for that moment his entire life. It was a truly priceless moment. Present Tense was awesome. The crowd around me was singing so loud that I couldn't hear Ed. It was so much fun being around similarly excited fans. Then the rain delay happened.

There was no organized way to move that many people off the field I guess because it was a complete disaster, but at least no one got hurt during the storm. When the rain delay was over and fans were allowed back on the field, a ton of people who didn't even have field seats ended up in GA. I couldn't get nearly as close as I was prior and frankly, was pissed that non-GA people were in there. Really frustrating since I was there in the terrible heat from as soon as the gates opened.

The band did a terrific job making up for the rain delay. Loved hearing Faithful, Nothingman, and Bugs for the first time. They were all on my bucket list so now I can cross those off. Mike was so awesome (as usual) and did a great job deflecting a tambourine with the neck of his guitar during Porch without even missing a note. I love watching him play behind his head. I cannot imagine what it would feel like to have a fraction of his talent. Loved every minute of the show and was so glad I went despite the weather. It was a night I'll never forget.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,318
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Is it just me or does it seem like Mike keeps getting better? He played just amazingly last night and Tuesday.
    I really think that out of all of them, Mike is the one who seems the most on fire. I don't think he's hit his peak yet either. So we have some beautiful music in store for our future!
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    CO278952 wrote:
    How much for a bottle of water and what is the temperature of said bottle of water?

haha! classic. Earthcam 7/19/13

I've got it at the end of the Jason Aldean show via the earthcam and the guy is back! :lol::lol:

:fp: :fp:
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    Ishmael wrote:
    Great performance by the band, but difficult night overall.

My personal favorites were Release, Come Back and Mother. All three songs gave me full body chills. Mike's first note of the solo on Mother was incredible... So powerful.

I was frustrated that PJ did not come out to start the show at 7:30 considering the weather issues ahead. But it made me wonder if there was an issue with refunds/insurance.
    If they played for 60 minutes and then had to cancel the show, perhaps we wouldn't have received refunds? Since they only played for 30 minutes, maybe refunds would have happened? I don't know... I'm just speculating. Perhaps that factored into it.

A memorable night to be in Chicago for sure. Thanks Pearl Jam!!!

Someone(s) was/were saying that there were technical issues of the electrical variety. :shock:
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    Anyone else tired of the word epic?
  • Options
    fdavidfdavid Indianapolis Posts: 71
    jonsey30 wrote:
    Extended Chloe Dancer (not just intro) was awesome, Mike's solos were awesome, the 2 new songs give me a lot of hope for the new Album, Rear View Mirror, Why Go, Evenflow, and all songs were awesome. Rockin in the Free World had so much energy, and Eddie crowd surfing (for a second) then swinging from a glove (for a second) was sweet.

Jeff was so on-point all night, he doesn't get enough credit but he is amazing too. Eddie forgetting the endin of Bugs and having to restart was fitting for that song. I had to explain to my wife that he had only played that song twice before live.

The only thing I wanted was just one of the crowd songs, either Daughter or Betterman, for my wife.

Agree with you on everything. I, too, explained the same exact thing to my wife about Bugs (first time played live was only bc last year the band let a "super-fan" create the set, right?) and she appreciated why they'd play it (for the super-fans). I'd add that Release to open is always amazing, and I'd been saying all week it was the only fitting opener for a Wrigley show.

It was my 11th show, my wife's first. So I, too, was much more hopeful for the sing-a-longs than normal. I think everyone, long-time fans/young fans/older fans/first-timers would've been absolutely blown away if they'd been allowed to play the "planned" encore. I've seen Baba live a few times and it's amazing what energy it brings. Same for the current version of Alive, and we all witnessed what RITFW did to the crowd. Wife would've been singing with the other 43,000 for Better Man, too.

I'll add a few things:
    -My experience was awesome
    -Wrigley is the cathedral of MLB parks IMO but it's not a very good place to see a concert (but this show was great)
    -Wrigleyville is amazing, so it helps to balance it out as a concert venue - but the after-party couldn't happen bc we were all so exhausted, which stinks
    -I loved the set list but would've loved the original even that much more
    -My first show was Soldier Field 95, and it's amazing how this band has evolved (as have I) - I was in college then and Eddie certainly was full of angst in 95. He seemed super happy Friday night, and imo he seemed "fulfilled" as a person. I realize that's a bold opinion to offer of someone you don't know, but that's my observation. He's grown so much and he's managed all the success, etc. and he's a family man and just seems happier.
    -Along that same line, I have't read all the posts here but I was really surprised that Ed made zero political or other "controversial" statements. Clearly, he was there to sing and have fun. I like that.
    -I saw some comments about Rodman - no, he didn't get kicked out. He was VIP and spent alot of time side stage. He'd hear a song he apparently really liked start and then dart to the VIP Pit, hang with some fans and rock out, then eventually make it back to side stage. He was super-cool from what I saw and took pics with fans, etc. Chelios not so much.
    -Other celebs up front were Kerry Wood, Tom Skerrit, Kenny Mayne, Brent Berry. All seemed nice and fan-friendly.
    -Transportation after the show was as brutal as everyone's said. I put that squarely on Chicago. This is the 3rd time this has happened to me; the others at DMB Caravan in South Chicago and PJ United Center. Other cities do a much better job of managing transportation.
    -PJ Fans are the best. For too many reasons to explain here. I love being a part of the community.

-My wife of 9 years is not a PJ fan. She's never understood my passion. She loves music, attends lots of concerts, but never PJ. This show was on my birthday so she was in as soon as it was announced. We woke up Friday and still were ticketless (got shutout by 10c twice). We drove 3 hours, took the Redline to Wrigley, and still no tickets. I promised her we'd be ok. In the end, even with the rain and the delay, we had such a great time. She's been singing Corduroy all day today, listened to PJ Radio during the drive home, has asked me tons of questions about the band (that I'm very eager to answer :) ) and asked me to make a Playlist of songs she really likes (we came up with 20 "favorites" on the drive home). She told me yesterday that she now understands how "talented a man Eddie Vedder really is". She admired how grateful the entire band seemed to be, that it was so thoughtful for them to actually play Come Back for Hoosier, to actually stick through it and finish the show, and that the energy of the crowd and band really was on another level (something I'd been trying to explain for 10 years but something that simply cannot be explained, rather only experienced). All this makes me really happy. :D

-I've seen several Amphitheater shows and I've always maintained PJ is better in an arena

Lastly, and I've already touched on this, but it struck me this weekend just how the overall experience of attending a PJ show has changed and evolved over the years. Many of us grew up with this band - I remember literally hearing Ten for the first time THE DAY I graduated high school; I was in my friend's basement and he put on the CD and it wasn't GnR and I associated it with something I wasn't into, and by the 5th song I was hooked. Going to Soldier Field as a college kid to finally see the band I thought I'd never, ever get to see in person. Then 3 years later I get to see them again! (at that age 3 years seemed like an eternity). All these years later, and now I have kids and they have kids and I have a wife and they're married and we're all in a very different place. We're never going to see that band in PJ20 or the one I saw with so many others in Soldier Field again - but we get to see Pearl Jam as they are today, and for that we are truly lucky and blessed. That they continue to produce new music, maintain a passion for their past music, perform at a higher level musically than ever, and have a true respect for the fans that love them so much is incredible. They seem to continually look to the future with an eye on the past, and they do so together. I'm going to LA to celebrate my childhood friend's 40th (he gets a birthday show, too) and I cannot wait. We'll be rocking as hard as the band.

I have a feeling this isn't the last time Wrigley will see this band, either. Congrats to all who attended and stuck thru it - we were rewarded. To all that couldn't make it, I'm certain the band will deliver when they hit your town. Just make sure you're there!
    Soldier Field 95, Indy/Deer Creek 98, Indy/Deer Creek 2000, Cinci 2006, Tampa 2008, Columbus 2010, Indy 2010, Chicago United Center 2009, PJ20 Alpine Valley both, Chicago Wrigley 2013, Philly 2013 night 2, Charlotte 13, LA 1 '13, LA2 '13, Cinci '14, Denver '14, Tampa '16, Lexington '16, Chicago Wrigley Nite 1 2016
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    nycrats wrote:
    re: SETLIST COMPLAINERS

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but that setlist was 1000% deliberate and intended by the band as the crowd control it needed to be. The "pre shower" set had to be slow. Ed/they wrote that list knowing when the radar said it would be "go time" to get people to safety before the storm. Play it slow and then break the news gently. If they had come out corduroy, solat, spin the black circle, etc and had 40k+ revved up and foaming at the mouth, the announcement that we had to stop would have maybe caused a little (to maybe even a lot) more rage and chaos. Considering this band's history with past crowd mishaps, they do and always will err on the side of caution, sometimes going "campfire mode" to ensure things don't reach a boiling point. They had to start Wrigley slow to ease people into the inevitable disappointment that they knew was coming in this age of many a recent concert stage disaster- especially when high winds are involved. There is a massive amount of liability too in having people huddle up for 3 hours and then playing til 2 am. It seriously is amazing, and a testament to what the band and organization thinks of us fans to come out finish.

Then as people are complaining they should have come back harder than "all the way", again it makes sense to have a song like that to ease people back into the concert in an orderly fashion. If someone is late to realizing the show re-started, theyre not gonna be too bummed coming out to see Ed up there alone giving it a go. Had they set up the stage and come out to Animal, Porch, Leash etc, there would have been serious rushing to get to the seats and there were thousands of drunk, overheated, dehydrated people who were in old, packed concrete hallways and would have been tripping over each other to get out there. I say smart choice. A lot of the floor people were inside clueless packed like sardines and wouldnt have known the show was starting again til they heard music. Not everyone was on twiiter, and a lot of people had no signal to even use a phone. The fact that All Night was next up just tells me Ed wrote this set at 7:30 pm while monitoring the doppler. His way to let people know youre getting a full show, put it all behind you and lets go.

If you couldn't enjoy the rest of the show setlist wise, I'm sorry. I won't say it was the best show ever but they did all they could from that point on to deliver. You have to appreciate what they did and give thanks to be so fortunate to get that show.

Lastly, some complained they scrapped Alive, YL, Daughter, Better Man, Baba etc, which surprises me, as we have all seen these countless times, if something's gotta go at the end, im ok with it. As for those who brought their wife or someone new, I get it, would have been good to have some of those for them, but I think the band thought "an evening w/ pj" was mostly diehards and scrapped some of the right songs.

I think originally they thought it was only going to be an hour delay and they planned to play all of those songs and still end well after midnight, but (according to someones iphone near me during the break) after the first storm rolled through there was a second, unexpected cell of storms forming that had potential to be just as nasty, hence an extra hour of waiting with no info, and the hour or so (with encore breaks) of music they chopped.

Like the show, dislike the show, but be appreciative of just how great it was they came out and finished for us. A monumental show of love to the fans.

AMEN!
  • Options
    Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    Late to the posting party, but had to share my thoughts. I was amazed at the success of the show in the face of such conditions, and in how well everything was handled, considering. I know it wasn't perfect for everybody, but given the circumstances, something that could have gone horribly wrong was overall quite peaceful and successful. And I had so many amazing moments during the show that I don't give a rip what got cut from the set list.

Thanks go out to all the great fans we met, both in Section S and under the bleachers during the rain delay. My wife s 36 weeks pregnant, and despite the heat and the travel and having been up since 5:50 am Eastern Time when we hit the road from Louisville, braved the concert because she couldn't bear to miss seeing me enjoy my favorite band in the home of my favorite baseball team. (Her sister, an OB/GYN, was fine with her going, and was also in attendance, just a text message away.) The people in our section (S, row 17, plus folks from rows 16 and 18) couldn't have been nicer--shouts out to the guy from Huntsville, AL; the super cheerful guy in the American flag t-shirt, the other pregnant couple behind us, and the couple with New Orleans roots next to us. And under the bleachers, people couldn't have been more accomoadating of her condition--in a situation where it's often every man for himself, she was constantly being offered one of the few chairs to be found back there. And it was great to meet the couple from Queens we ended up spending an hour with; hope you guys had a great time after the show started back up!

The rain delay went for so long I finally convinced my wife to head back to the hotel (along with her sister the doctor and my best friend's wife) at around 11:00, while the three husbands stayed to see what kind of second set we'd get. I felt better knowing she was safe and cool at the hotel. (Also? Friday was the best my phone has ever been at getting text messages through in a huge crowd, on a night we absolutely needed it, consolidating the ladies' departure from different parts of the stadium and confirming they got back safely just in time to relax and enjoy the second set. So kudos to the cell tower infrastructure in Wrigleyville, I guess.)

As for the show itself? I was amazed. The opening section--smartly kept low-key in anticipation of the delay, I'm sure--was emotional, with me almost a dad and listening to "Release" with my unborn son next to me; with "Present Tense," always inspirational for me; with "Come Back" dedicated to Hoosiers's wife Sarah, and knowing from these boards what that meant; and when my wife told me that as soon as Eddie said "now it's your turn" for the crowd sing-along on "Small Town," my son started kicking. (He's already a fan!)

In the second set, I thought it was the best "Corduroy" I've ever heard. I loved how the three new songs sounded. I was giddy at seeing Mike do "Eruption," and found it hilariously insane that Ed would perform "Bugs" to 40,000 people. I laughed at the cameraman zooming in on Mike's crotch during the "4 balls" jokes. I loved the take on "Mother," I loved hearing "Faithfull," got only my second "Porch" in 9 career shows, and was emotionally walloped by hearing the opening piano to "Chloe Dancer." I thought "Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns" Friday night was one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard at a concert (and I've been to a few hundred shows by all kinds of performers). That piano dropping in on the end of Ed's thanks to his band mates is the thing I'll remember musically, while everything above about my wife, our son, and the way we were treated by the other fans all night are the things I'll remember about the show experience.

And a final note? We PJ fans are some fertile motherfuckers. We met so many other pregnant ladies at the show we lost count, and saw plenty of small kids in attendance, too. :lol:
  • Options
    Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    One more note from me--HUGE thanks to whoever posted a while back the suggestion to walk one train stop in the opposite direction to get on an emptier train. My brother-in-law, my friend and I tried to wait in the Addison line for a while, but once we got to the ice cream truck and bought waters, we gave up and headed to another stop. The first instinct was to go closer to our destination, but then I remembered the tip and probably saved us another hour-plus of waiting. So thank you immensely!
  • Options
    heartdesireheartdesire Posts: 430
    Mstermisty wrote:
    I rarely post here but felt a need to after seeing (surprisingly) so much negativity in this thread.

Everyone has their own unique experience at any music show, so I don't think the people who didn't have as good a time as they hope should be chastised, yet I have a hard time believing anyone could come away from this experience with anything but a smile on their face.

I have been to about 30 shows, and this one will definitely stand out among them all. Release opener, 2 new songs (have been listening on youtube...wow...Lightning Bolt is amazing), Bugs, Full Chloe (thank you god), Leatherman, new Corduroy--keeps getting better), etc. etc.

Most bands would have cancelled. Pearl Jam waited it out and played a full show. Mccready is making a case to be the best living guitar player on the planet right now. And no doubt he is in the discussion for greatest of all time. Unreal.

Me and my friends were scattered in different parts of the stadium and we all came away extremely satisfied and wanting more. And I will get that in October, ha ha.

Got out of the show at 2 am and by the time we squeezed on to a train (cabs non-existent) it was 4 am at the hotel. Slept for 4 hours and started the drive back to Minnesota. A small hardship for a great experience.

I love music and a lot of bands, but nothing comes close to Pearl Jam. They are a once in a lifetime band.

Amen!!! It was an amazing evening, a rare experience. From The Ice Bowl to fridays Sweaty Storm Bowl, to everything before, after and in between ... LOVE! Always a pleasure to be in the company of an amazing band and incredible fans. :-D
    "i'm a dedicated insomniac" ~ ev nyc beacon 6/22
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,071
    My thoughts:

The BAD
    -the view from section B wasn't great, but again, being in the building was what counted.
    -it was really fucking hot.
    -there are a lot of absolute d-bags in this fan club (see: people buying up posters to flip for other non-Wrigley items, not a day after the show)
    -it sucks to find out that approximately 8 songs were cut from the set list
    -the hallways during the delay were like overcrowded bomb shelters.
    -there are a lot of absolute d-bags in Chicago (see: scalper who offered me $1,000.00 for my 10c tickets as I was handing them to a friend).

The GOOD
    -the view from section B wasn't great, but again, being in the building was what counted.
    -Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns
    -there are a lot of absolute stars in this fan club (not you Rodman) (see: random middle-aged lady who teamed up with me to find water during the delay)
    -all the fans that didn't waste a day in Chicago trying to buy products just for the sheer purpose of flipping them and instead hung out at one of the preparties or Wrigley bars to catch up and get excited for the show
    -Ed's voice has never sounded better.
    -All Night
    -Why Go
    -the second set. Ed kept the energy up, anyone who doesn't think so wasn't paying attention.
    -the entire crowd (it looked from the field that just about everyone stayed through the whole delay). Crazy.
    -the Wrigley field staff. Incredibly polite and helpful.

It's all in how you responded to some unexpected events. Don't get me wrong, I was extremely tired, hot, hungry and sore at 11:30pm, but as soon as they hit the stage, it all melted away.

There are great people and there are shitty losers. I choose to put aside the things that sucked - the abundance of merch trolls that lurk in this fan club, bad weather - and focus on the things that rocked - my friends, cool 10c members, the music, Ed's voice, Mind Your Fucking Manners etc - and by doing so, it's clear how awesome this show really was.

I'm not going to try and convince people who weren't there that they missed out or anything. That's for them to decide, and that's kind of the point. Take from this show what you will. I'll take from it a weekend with my friends and my favorite band, the resiliency of it's fans, and the fact that after all these years, Pearl Jam still has it. If you couldn't find that much in this weekend, then get some new friends and take a break.

Great, great weekend.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    I was in section 239 and by the time the band came back, most of the people who had sat next to me in the beginning were gone. Saddest moment of the evening: looking down on a MOTIONLESS GA pit during RVM! I actually left soon after that cuz I was so annoyed.

This was my 6th PJ concert and so far, all of them have been great, wonderful experiences. I am really sad and still kinda stunned that Wrigleyfield was such a bummer.[/quote]

Totally agree about GA. I was all about it in there and it was the most dead of the PJ shows I've been to. I loved the band, but the energy from the fans wasn't what I thought it would be. Yes, I realize it was late. But its a damn rock concert, wake up. Did anyone notice the surge forward in GA when Ed went into the crowd? We moved like 20 feet forward and it still wasn't that packed in there. I keep wondering what the hell was going on before that. I hope that's not the norm. I want some damn energy whether I'm in the pit or not. Definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, I felt bad for the band.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22