Options

*** Wrigley Field Fanviews Here 7/19/13 ***

Comments

• Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    So the few days leading up to this show were emotionally, mentally, and physically draining for us. Some personal issues came up for my ticket buddy the night before we were to leave for Chi so we almost didn't even make it!

Standing in the merch line for 3 hours (which isn't too bad compared to some!) The heat and sun really took its toll on a lot of people. Plus that delay?? Some people were on edge but most of the crowd seemed to take it in stride. But I think that's why the crowd wasn't as energetic as they would normally be. I really tried to keep my energy up but by the end I was just drained! I don't know how the band had so much energy...oh wait! They weren't waiting in line in the hot sun for HOURS! ;)

A few bummer moments...We had someone get punched in the face behind us (hope he's ok) :( Then a girl passed out while waiting for the train after the show! She was ok a few minutes later it seemed. I felt awful for them both.

OH! And the merch table we lined up for said there was a limit of 2 posters...not 2 of each design...2 total! We tried to tell him that wasn't right but he wasn't having it. Got our posters and stuff and celebrated with a beer!

So if we're just talking about the show...the band...I was blown away. They all were in top form! Great set and I'm not gonna complain about that setlist. They really pulled through and put on a great show. Ed looks so healthy and really they all look like they're taking good care of themselves so they can keep killing these shows!

Now if we're talking about my experience? It was a disaster...the lineups, the heat, the rain delay, the almost not making it to chi...oh! and the trains after the show!? ugh. If I could take all that away then it would really make this show shine, but I've just never felt so exhausted after a show...maybe I'm getting too old for this! :D
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    Extended Chloe Dancer (not just intro) was awesome, Mike's solos were awesome, the 2 new songs give me a lot of hope for the new Album, Rear View Mirror, Why Go, Evenflow, and all songs were awesome. Rockin in the Free World had so much energy, and Eddie crowd surfing (for a second) then swinging from a glove (for a second) was sweet.

Jeff was so on-point all night, he doesn't get enough credit but he is amazing too. Eddie forgetting the endin of Bugs and having to restart was fitting for that song. I had to explain to my wife that he had only played that song twice before live.

The only thing I wanted was just one of the crowd songs, either Daughter or Betterman, for my wife.
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    narnia wrote:
    I just watched a video of "Lightning Bolt" from last night. I know it's a new song, but the crowd is so low key that they look bored. :shock:
    http://www.nme.com/news/pearl-jam/71561

hearing a song for the first time live never resonates like it does if you've heard the studio version first. I heard most of VS a few weeks before it was released (August 1993), and it was really difficult to make out what was going on not having heard it first.

that's a very normal reaction for the crowd to have.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    SweetAndLowSweetAndLow Posts: 178
    Sorry, but while the opening songs were phenomenal, Ed's voice sounded like shit. Especially during Nothingman. There's a reason the band rarely plays it, and they were better off not playing it here.

To open after the rain delay with All The Way was very weak, as was Ed's flippant, care-free attitude/mention of the rain delay when the band returned at midnight. All The Way could have been played toward the end. Granted, it was not the band's fault at all, and we heard later he did apologize at the end of the show, but knowing the weather approaching, and then coming out an hour late, playing 6 songs or so, and then nobody from Wrigley or band camp giving the crowd an update through 2 hours and 30 minutes of delay after Ed told the crowd 30 minutes to clear (and another 30 minutes to wait) was horseshit.

Highlights of half the show (we left early): Release as the opener, Present Tense, All Night, Mind Your Manners and Lightning Bolt combo. ... the band sounded mediocre/off for a lot of songs. Left dissatisfied. A lot of that was the rain delay, lack of updates, and chain smokers all around us. Last quarter of that was the band not sounding as good as in the past with a mediocre setlist. A decent amount of people left cuz they figured the show would get canceled. We left cuz it was too freaking late. Outside Wrigley, 3 dudes behind us not at the show were wowed that PJ was still playing. "Dude, bands just don't do that, man. Pearl Jam's playing at 1 a.m." Yeah, jackwagon, cuz they decided to play after a 2 hour and 30 minute rain delay. More sensible decision would've been to reschedule to the next afternoon. ... We left during Even Flow. Apropos, if you ask me. Overplayed live song.
    2004: Toledo; Grand Rapids
    2006: Grand Rapids; Auburn Hills
    2009: Chicago
    2010: Columbus
    2011: East Troy (PJ20), both
    2013: Wrigley Field
    2014: Detroit
  • Options
    Evel KEvel K Posts: 516
    Evel K wrote:
    Jonesy I hope you do get a ticket You've been on here all the time looking. I'm sure if I talked to you for even 5 minutes I would have no doubts. All I'm saying is talk to the person, make sure they are a fan. You can probably tell the story of your first show or the first time you saw Alive on MTV at Target. If the never in your signature means you've never seen them live than go to Chicago no matter what. It's a four hour drive that will be worth it. Later K
    jonsey30 wrote:
    What an experience for our first show. So many different emotions: We showed up without tickets on Thursday and began our search. No luck that day, but an awesome member gave me one of his custom-made shirts. I wish I could tell him how many people approached me about the shirt.

Friday, 97 degree heat, we stood in the sun with other members holding signs and looking for tickets. Shouts to Brian, Aaron, Pat for helping pass the time. We waited near will-call all day, I was interviewed by Fox32 at one point about my sign and the ticket search, and then the miracle happened that we needed. I saw a line starting to form in front of one fo the ticket windows, so not knowing what it was, I got in it, about the 8th person in line. At about 5:10, they droped tickets from a bunch of Field sections, and I got face-value tickets. After a celebratory drink at Sluggers, I was on the field, and extatic.

Then the rain delay - 2.5 hours between sets, and we were crammed into a tiny concorse where it was hard to breathe and I was getting stepped on and pushed the whole time. Even saw a girl fight, which would have been funny if I wasn't so pissed.

But all the waiting was worth it, and PJ ripped it up for more than 2 hours when they came back on. It was a Mike-heavy night which is all I could ask for. He was on-point and killing it on every solo.

Then the freaking subway - there was some emergency and trains were delayed. It took almost an hour before the first train came, and we weren't able to cram into it. So we got in the second one, and it was a total sardine-can the whole time. Got back to the hotel about 4:00AM and passed out.

Best day/night/morning ever though. All the waiting and trouble we had just made the songs so much more meaningful.

Can't wait for Pittsburgh!!
    Things were different then
  • Options
    Sorry, but while the opening songs were phenomenal, Ed's voice sounded like shit. Especially during Nothingman. There's a reason the band rarely plays it, and they were better off not playing it here.

To open after the rain delay with All The Way was very weak, as was Ed's flippant, care-free attitude/mention of the rain delay when the band returned at midnight. All The Way could have been played toward the end. Granted, it was not the band's fault at all, and we heard later he did apologize at the end of the show, but knowing the weather approaching, and then coming out an hour late, playing 6 songs or so, and then nobody from Wrigley or band camp giving the crowd an update through 2 hours and 30 minutes of delay after Ed told the crowd 30 minutes to clear (and another 30 minutes to wait) was horseshit.

Highlights of half the show (we left early): Release as the opener, Present Tense, All Night, Mind Your Manners and Lightning Bolt combo. ... the band sounded mediocre/off for a lot of songs. Left dissatisfied. A lot of that was the rain delay, lack of updates, and chain smokers all around us. Last quarter of that was the band not sounding as good as in the past with a mediocre setlist. A decent amount of people left cuz they figured the show would get canceled. We left cuz it was too freaking late. Outside Wrigley, 3 dudes behind us not at the show were wowed that PJ was still playing. "Dude, bands just don't do that, man. Pearl Jam's playing at 1 a.m." Yeah, jackwagon, cuz they decided to play after a 2 hour and 30 minute rain delay. More sensible decision would've been to reschedule to the next afternoon. ... We left during Even Flow. Apropos, if you ask me. Overplayed live song.

the large part is all I needed to hear of this "review".
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    My first Pearl Jam concert - what an experience! Got to Chicago on Thursday, waited in merch line for 5 hours in staggering heat, but wanted to get the full experience... Never thought I would do anything like that! Met some awesome people in line - they made what would have been an awful experience truly memorable! Thank you! Exhausted from Thursday, rested up on Friday before the show. My stomach had butterflies all day. Still steamy, but those first notes of Release made me cry. The band sounded fantastic - especially Ed's voice and Mike's riffs. Goosebumps throughout the opening set. It was definitely difficult to sit through 2+ hours of the weather delay, especially without any updates, I was just afraid of the hard curfew I kept hearing about. When they finally got back to the stage, I thought it was awesome, Ed said we were going to ease back into things, so everyone could get settled in. Again, got goosebumps for All The Way, not a Cubs fan (Go Tigers!), but loved the idea of Ed singing at Wrigley with Ernie Banks - what a moment! I didn't have any problem with the slower songs, into every moment of the show. From DTE on, I thought the energy was good. I thought it was so cool to see so many rare songs at my first show. Some people talk about breaks in momentum or whatever, but being 47 I like the fast and slow songs intertwined. Rocked out to Corduroy, Porch, RVM, and RITFW, liked hearing 3 new songs, cried at CD/COT and SOLAT, and balled through Black. I feel very lucky to have been a part of this very unique Pearl Jam show. Can't wait for Pittsburgh (and hopefully Buffalo) in the fall.
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    jlaustinjlaustin Ann Arbor, MI Posts: 2,355
    CO278952 wrote:
    I give the guys a ton of credit..... Pulling off the show after the rain and playing til 2 is amazing. That said, I was very disappointed with the set and the entire weekend. For those of us who stood on line, it was a train wreck. Once they came back after the rain I expected fireworks. I did not get it. The people leaving were deflated.

having to sit through All The Way AND All The Way Reprise after the hellish rain delay must have been a nightmare.

Nope, not a nightmare for me - thought it was great.
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Kudos to everyone involved. The band could not have handled such a difficult situation any better, the crowd was completely positive and cooperative (at least where I was), and the Wrigley staff did a great job of maintaining order. I fully expected GA to be an overrun train wreck once we re-entered after the dleay and it was anything but. Fantastic experience all the way around and thanks to my ticket buddy Tim for the last minute save.

Oh, and 3 more words...

MIKE FUCKIN' MCCREADY!!!!!
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    jlaustin wrote:
    CO278952 wrote:
    I give the guys a ton of credit..... Pulling off the show after the rain and playing til 2 is amazing. That said, I was very disappointed with the set and the entire weekend. For those of us who stood on line, it was a train wreck. Once they came back after the rain I expected fireworks. I did not get it. The people leaving were deflated.

having to sit through All The Way AND All The Way Reprise after the hellish rain delay must have been a nightmare.

Nope, not a nightmare for me - thought it was great.
    Seriously - I need more nightmares like that :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    adoffinadoffin Blaine, MN Posts: 398
    Pit tickets and was two rows back in front of Stone all night....some of my observations.

1. Most all of us that didn't leave the field area had no clue beer stands were even still open because the ones on the field CLOSED!

2. Dennis Rodman and Chris Chelios were both in attendance and both made their way down next to us (barging their way in, whatever) for the encores. Chelios promptly spilled beer all over my buddy, but Rodman had a refill for him I think before the can even hit the ground. Didn't look like one of Cheli's sons liked or knew Chloe Dancer, so he motioned to Chris to leave...Cheli just shook his head in disgust and turned to go back to the VIP area, I presume.

3. McCready chucked about 50 picks at the end of the show and kudos to the security staff for moving equipment and rails to get every last one that didn't make the pit..and out to fans (like me).

4. I'm confused as to why Eddie decided to crowd surf, but I was equally confused as to why the crowd didn't actually surf him around! They just held him there...awkward.

5. I will be curious to know if the RF for the Cubs next home game notices a new odor to the ivy, because I witnessed a LOT of ivy watering during the weather delay
    Chicago - 6/29/98
    Indianapolis - 8/18/00
    Champaign - 4/23/03
    St. Paul - 6/26/06 (w/Petty)
    St. Paul - 6/27/06 (w/Petty)
    Chicago - 8/23/09
    Minneapolis - 7/2/11 (Ed)
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - 9/3/11
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - 9/4/11
    Wrigley - 7/19/13
    Pittsburgh - 10/11/13
    Buffalo - 10/12/13
    Moline - 10/17/14
    St. Paul - 10/19/14
    Milwaukee - 10/20/14
    Wrigley - 8/20/16
    Wrigley - 8/22/16
    Wrigley - 8/18/18
    Wrigley - 8/20/18
    St. Louis - 9/18/22
    St. Paul 1 - 8/31/23
    St. Paul 2 - 9/2/23
    Chicago 1 - 9/5/23
    Chicago 2 - 9/7/23
    Wrigley - 8/29/24
    Wrigley - 8/31/24
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    Ishmael wrote:
    Great performance by the band, but difficult night overall.

My personal favorites were Release, Come Back and Mother. All three songs gave me full body chills. Mike's first note of the solo on Mother was incredible... So powerful.

I was frustrated that PJ did not come out to start the show at 7:30 considering the weather issues ahead. But it made me wonder if there was an issue with refunds/insurance. If they played for 60 minutes and then had to cancel the show, perhaps we wouldn't have received refunds? Since they only played for 30 minutes, maybe refunds would have happened? I don't know... I'm just speculating. Perhaps that factored into it.

A memorable night to be in Chicago for sure. Thanks Pearl Jam!!!

I had similar thoughts. I can't think of a reasonable explanation why they would start an hour late, unless they would not have extended the curfew otherwise and canceled the rest of the show (or the electrical rumors could be true as well). The point is, we don't know, and there was a great attempt to make it a full show. Most bands I know you're lucky if the show lasts 2 hours, last night was still almost 3. It wasn't as good as we hoped, but it was still a good show.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993

the large part is all I needed to hear of this "review".

rescheduling or refunding would have been even worse for most of us. I spent far more in travel expenses, and to get refunded the $170 for tickets after spending over $1000 in airfare and hotels for the two of us would have lead to a lot of very upset fans (almost everyone I met had traveled like we did). There wasn't a win-win because I know some people who left had to leave for other reasons, but I think the majority were in the same boat as me. They did what was best for most of us at the show, and I think most of us really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Raineman311Raineman311 Posts: 124
    Yes for everyone saying how tame the crowd looks in some of the videos

Standing in the upper 90s heat for HOURS before the show in merch line
    Standing without sitting or leaning inside Wrigley from 6PM-2AM
    Being soaked from head to toe including shoes, socks and boxers during the near 3 hour rain delay
    Being so hot, dehydrated and thirsty I almost picked up a used water bottle and filled it with rain (there were no concessions anywhere NEAR the field during the delay to purchase water and I wasn't losing my GA spot.)

I was going as crazy as my body would let me, I think my brain was pissed at the outcome.

Still had an amazing time and a hell of an experience. The 2 dollar ice cold water I bought outside the gates was the most refreshing thing I've tasted in my 30 years.

The highlight for me was Porch when Eddie stood right in front of where we were standing and finished off the song. Epic.
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Just got back to apartment in Philly and wasn't sure if I was going to bother checking the boards as there has been so much negativity that's been going on here over the last few weeks.

But last night was such an amazing journey with the powerful opening before the storm set, then the wait and wondering if the show if would go on at all, and then the incredible full set list that followed. I was so blown away and happy to be there for Eddie as he sang with all his heart and power for Release. I could just his expression that he was really feeling it as I lost my Dad a few years ago, thus I was really feeling it.

Present Tense and Chloe Dancer / were also highlights as I had recently been down for some time regretting some choices I made around in my past especially involving a young romance that just wasn't meant to be and I had been their wondering how my life would of have different if things had worked out as I still sometimes miss her.

Also Bugs gave me gave me goosebumps once again as my Dad who actually hated Pearl Jam was an accordion player back in his day and I just wonder what he would have thought had he seen Eddie playing it. Maybe he was looking down as Eddie sometimes likes to say :D

It wasn't a perfect but it was powerful for me and many indeed. And Pearl Jam pulled out all the stops to make it perfect and powerful and succeeded. And life definitely isn't perfect and PJ once again did everything in their power to makes feel better about all of our downer moments.
  • Options
    PJ79806PJ79806 Posts: 5
    I've seen a few folks questioning Eddie playing 'All The Way' after the rain delay, but everyone is forgetting the real reason for it. Ernie Banks!! He probably expected to appear during an encore (at like 10pm?) but was still actually around at almost midnight. He's Mr. Cub and king in Chicago, but he's also now 82+. There was simply NO WAY he was going to be around come 1am or the end of the show at 2am. I enjoyed him actually talking and welcoming him into his home.... I also loved the preprepared Cubs/Wrigley video!!

A few other things:

Mike - is he actually better than Eddie Van Halen? His performance throughout the show was amazing - behind the head and all sorts of serious sound. Eruption is beyond what Eddie can do today and possibly in his prime! Go Mike!!!

Yes, some people left during the delay - I would actually expect that irregardless of how much they love PJ. Some people need to work and so forth - planning to attend a 7:30 show and getting home at 4am doesn't work for some folks... they had trains, planes and stuff to catch that didn't couldn't realistically have planned for such a monster delay. (plus the band went on late)

on that that note, there were a few around me that left, but there was still a nearly full crowd when they started up again - does anyone actually have attendance numbers? Wrigley has about 41k official capacity. The outfield bleachers were totally empty, but there were TONS of seats on the field - that had to easily surpass what was lost. I'm guessing 44K+ who stayed til the end!?!?

Loved the firsts for me: Chloe, Mother, new songs, Bugs with a friggin Accordion!!!! and of course the second singing of what should be the new Cubs anthem - All The Way....

Heard conflicting things about why they were late going on. With something like Wrigley, the band has to always be aware of the end time they can play. Knowing this was a first in a lifetime for Eddie, I've got to lean towards a problem being resolved as to their late appearance. Hell, they totally cut out the second encore and just kept playing knowing that they were approaching a limit, but the thought that the first set could have been closer to an hour and a half as opposed to 37 min........... somebody must be responsible.

Looking forward to the new album. The three songs are quite different among themselves!!!

oh... and the merch lines - WTF!?!?!?!??!? I love PJ being independent of all the corporate crap, but those were insane - the lines outside Wrigley were beyond stupid and the mob scene inside was depressing. I would have spent tons on shirts, but had no desire to a 1+ hour scrum!
    Green Disease - Theft and hording of wealth at the expense and disregard of the livelihood an well-being of the masses will result in a complete and total loss of compassion for any other living being and will blacken your heart.

Chicago, Illinois (October 09, 2000) / Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006) / Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013) / Wrigley Field 2 (August 22, 2016) / Chicago (September 07, 2023)

• Options
    I was not at the show, however, I do find it amazing that Pearl Jam still played after an almost 3 hours delay. I was wondering if some fans were actually taking a nap while waiting. Though the setlist looked great and sounds like it was an awesome show, learning the songs they cut from the setlist makes me realize that the show would have been even greater.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    narnia wrote:
    I just watched a video of "Lightning Bolt" from last night. I know it's a new song, but the crowd is so low key that they look bored. :shock:

I was thinking the same thing when I was there.
    I think a lot of the fans wanted to hear the hits...Jeremy, Alive etc.
    They didn't appreciate what they were witnessing

Not bored. Exhausted!
  • Options
    JS188455JS188455 Posts: 107
    Get_Right wrote:
    narnia wrote:

I was thinking the same thing when I was there.
    I think a lot of the fans wanted to hear the hits...Jeremy, Alive etc.
    They didn't appreciate what they were witnessing

Not bored. Exhausted!

Exhausted for sure. The weather went from one extreme being very hot all day and toward the start of the show to windy, rainy and about a 20 degree temperature drop during the course of the 7 hour time frame. Original start time until the actual conclusion of the show.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    JS188455 wrote:

Exhausted for sure. The weather went from one extreme being very hot all day and toward the start of the show to windy, rainy and about a 20 degree temperature drop during the course of the 7 hour time frame. Original start time until the actual conclusion of the show.

Just a really really long day/evening/morning at wrigleyville. Getting out of there was a nightmare as well.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    More sensible decision would've been to reschedule to the next afternoon. ... We left during Even Flow. Apropos, if you ask me. Overplayed live song.
    So you mention afternoon, not night. That tells me you are aware that there was another show there on Saturday night. Do you honestly believe that PJ would have been able to play a matinee show and tear down all their stuff in time for the other show's crew to set up, do soundchecks, etc. in time for their show?

On the ride back from London on Wednesday afternoon, we saw Jason Aldean's semis pulling onto the highway. (You couldn't miss them, they had his name in huge letters and a giant photo of him on the side.) We also saw them coming down Clark Street on Friday night. There were like SEVEN of them. So we're not talking about some bare-bones setup here.

But maybe you think they just should have said "Sorry, Jason Aldean, Kelly Clarkson and whoever else is playing with you today. We're PEARL JAM and we're going to do whatever we want so you and your fans can all fuck off if you don't like it."
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    Get_Right wrote:
    JS188455 wrote:

Just a really really long day/evening/morning at wrigleyville. Getting out of there was a nightmare as well.

This was so true but all was worth it.
    We finally got a cab around 4am and the driver told us about 60% of the cabs weren't running because a most of the muslim cabbies were fasting and this period from 2-430am was the only time they could take a break and eat.

Again thank you PJ for a great show and experience.
    We all could have been at Phish and had a show cancelled on us. That would have been much worse then having to wait it out during the rain delay.
    Speaking of the delay, they did open the gates at wrigley on the side I was on by Murphy's. You could stay outside and hangout go get a beer or whatever and come back.
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    What an abolute fantastic day/night/early morning @ Wrigley!! Although waiting out the weather was long - it was worth it. Met some good people/10c members in section 111. If and when they return to Wrigley I plan on being there everytime! Thanks to 10c for the tickets and the band for a show I'll never forget!!
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 579
    It's been said on here a few different places... my only question is why didn't they start closer to 7:30? That's my only complaint. Don't get me wrong, for all I know there is a perfectly logical answer. But the official start time was 7:30. You could've gotten 80-90 minutes (around 20 songs) in if there was a 7:30 start time.

I have zero problem with how they handled the delay. With stage collapses over the past few years, not to mention the tragedy the band went through 13 years ago, you had to be extremely cautious. But if you would've gotten 80 minutes in before the delay (which is what they usually do before taking their first break), the crowd would've been hyped and it could've been treated as one REALLY long encore break. As I said, maybe there's a great reason that none of us no about. I think it's fascinating to think how much was happening behind the scenes... who was talking to who to figure out a plan, a curfew extension, etc.?

That show will always be a little bittersweet for me. You can tell that Eddie was wanting to make that just an incredibly over-the-top all-time-great show. Unfortunately, that's hard to do when you throw a 3 hour rain delay in there. Then that douchebag country artist gets glorious weather at Wrigley the next night. Ugh.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    Raineman311Raineman311 Posts: 124
    wnh1977 wrote:
    That show will always be a little bittersweet for me.

A thousand times this. I used bittersweet when describing the show to my girlfriend, as it was the most surreal concert event I have ever attended in many ways and by 2AM I was ready to GTFO.
  • Options
    RichAtomicRichAtomic Posts: 64
    Anyone else get barred from entering Wrigley because they had a camera? Clearly a ridiculous restriction these days, considering just about every cell phone has one built in... but, whatever, I want to follow the rules.

I had done due diligence prior to the show, searching the forum for updates, checking every Ten Club email communication. Seeing nothing new I figured it was the standard policy as stated on the Pearl Jam website: if it's hand-held & no detachable lens, no problem. Imagine my surprise when I entered the security line -- eagerly opening my camera bag and declaring "just a camera and a rain poncho", expecting to be whooshed through -- and being firmly told "No cameras -- you can't come in." WHAT?!!? He gestured to a generic sign stating "NO CAMERAS" along with a number of other rules that Wrigley apparently slaps up at every concert event, individual band policy be damned. I was given no options -- no locker, coat check or anything. GET RID OF THE CAMERA OR DON'T GET IN. Having taken a train to the gig I couldn't return it to my car or hotel. So I'm freaking, frantically asking about (this was 7PM, a half-hour before the scheduled start time...) I got the "it's Pearl Jam's policy" from the security/Wrigley people and "it's security/Wrigley's policy" from the Pearl Jam people at the Ten Club ticket window. Both incorrect, both absolutely no help, a total Catch-22.

With no other choice (the concert was by now SUPPOSED to start in fifteen minutes...), I stuffed the camera in my pants and approached a different entrance where I was whisked through security without even being asked to open my camera bag. Jeez, had I known there was this express lane I'd have gone there first!

This was one of a handful of hassles I had with the organization of the show. I normally shrug off the complaints many have about Ten Club, but these were things that could have been easily foreseen and addressed with well over six months to plan. I'd seen Paul McCartney at Milwaukee's Miller Park the previous week and the Miller Park website had clear details on what was allowed to bring in to the concert -- including water, soft drinks, food and cameras -- all no problem! These details were repeated in all of the local media. It would have been nice if Pearl Jam and Wrigley would have publicized any deviation from normal policy. But it seems they didn't even know what the policy was, with plausible deniability all around. A disappointing way to start a long, frustrating evening.

(And don't get me going on the crap obstructed view reserved seats -- on the field, if you can believe it -- I was saddled with. I ended up moving to the upper deck for the encore, wishing I had been there all night.)
    * Oscar Mayer Theater - 1991 * Eagle's Ballroom 1991 * R and R Station - 1992 * Marquette University 1992 * World Music Amphitheater - 1992 * Alpine Valley - 1992 * Alpine Valley - 2000 * Aladdin Theater x2 - 1993 * Chicago Stadium - 1994 * New Regal Theater - 1994 * St. Louis x2 - 1994 * Ann Arbor - 1994 * Bridge School - 1994 * Summerfest x2 - 1995 * Summerfest x2 - 2006 * Soldier Field - 1995 * Molson Park - 1998 * United Center - 2006 * United Center - 2009 * Cleveland - 2010 * Alpine Valley x2 - 2011 * Winnipeg 2011 * Saskatoon 2011 * Wrigley 2013 * Phoenix 2013 * Wrigley 2016 x2 *
  • Options
    Definitely one of the most memorable PJ experiences of my lifetime.

Everyone has their own take on the event; I wouldn't presume to try and convince people that my opinion (IT WAS AWESOME) is the correct view. That having been said, one must acknowledge that the band did an excellent job under the circumstances. Admittedly, I was one of the many who thought that there would be no continuation, especially as the clock ticked closer to midnight. To be able to hear the band play until 2 am, when most thought the night/morning was lost, is something I'll never forget. I thought the band played great, especially Mike, and I really dug their honest effort to not let the delay kill the event. Great set, highlighted by CD/CoT (for me, at least - I love when they do that live. Last time I heard it was at the 9/11/11 Toronto show. This parenthetical is too long) and I really, REALLY dug the tweaked version of Corduroy.

Some other random memories:

1) The sky when the band starting playing, with the sunset and the choice of songs, gave the venue a really cool vibe. I really dug the lightning flashes that went off periodically during the first 7 song set.

2) Ernie Banks!!!!! As a baseball fan, seeing one of the greats was an unexpected perks.

3) I watched an entire Pearl Jam concert, but the only song going through my head on the way home was that damn jingle from the ice cream truck parked right outside the subway entrance.

4) Did anyone actually get on the subway? I saw 2 trains arrive during the first 45 minutes I waited in line, then nothing. Eventually, I gave up and went looking for a cab.

4a) Did anyone successfully hail a cab?

5) Never caught that cab, so I ended up walking the 4.5 miles from the park to my hotel. Caught a really interesting view of late night/early morning Chicago - a subject of another post altogether. Ended up getting to my hotel at 4:30am. Thank goodness my flight wasn't until 2pm the next day.

As a first-time visitor to Chicago and to Wrigley Field, I leave with nothing but positive memories. This is one of those "you had to have been there" kind of events, and I, for one, am glad I went.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    Here are my videos from section Q down on the field: all of Chloe, Bugs, and 3 other shorter clips...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv7ntLxuZQPiJl1HuFrlvDpMoVs8Brm3e
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I was not at the show, however, I do find it amazing that Pearl Jam still played after an almost 3 hours delay. I was wondering if some fans were actually taking a nap while waiting. Though the setlist looked great and sounds like it was an awesome show, learning the songs they cut from the setlist makes me realize that the show would have been even greater.
    There was a guy 3 rows ahead of us that fell asleep during the break. All of a sudden he woke up in the middle of Unthought Known and started jumping around. Everyone started cheering and giving him high fives. It was hysterical :lol: he rocked out the rest of the night. Must have caught his 2nd (or 3rd or 4th wind) fantastic :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"