Options

NEW PEARL JAM ALBUM “LIGHTNING BOLT” AVAILABLE OCTOBER 15

Comments

• Options
    -Emma- wrote:
    Take note of the brand name on the hat... ;)
    tumblr_mqkl9kUOw51rtpfkmo1_400.jpg

take note of the color and aperture of eddie's eyes.
    lol.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    I was wondering......why so much lag time between single release and album release now?

VS: October 19th, first single Go released October 25th (6 days difference)
    Vitalogy: November 22 (vinyl)/December 6 (cd), first single STBC November 8th (14 days difference)
    No Code: August 27, first single Who You Are July 30th (28 days difference)
    Yield: February 3rd, first single Given To Fly January 6th (31 days difference)
    Binaural: May 16th, first single Nothing As It Seems April 25th (40 days difference)
    Riot Act: November 12th, first single I Am Mine October 8th (26 days difference)
    Pearl Jam: May 2nd, first single World Wide Suicide March 14th (49 days difference)
    Backspacer: September 20th, first single The Fixer August 24th (27 days difference)
    Lightning Bolt: October 15th, first single Mind Your Manners July 11th (a WHOPPING 97 days)

this isn't just PJ doing this. Soundgarden did it with King Animal (47 days) and Alice In Chains with Dino (5 months and 10 days!!!). Just curious as to why this is the norm these days???
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I was wondering......why so much lag time between single release and album release now?

Vitalogy: November 22 (vinyl)/December 6 (cd), first single STBC November 8th (14 days difference)
    Binaural: May 16th, first single Nothing As It Seems April 25th (40 days difference)
    Riot Act: November 12th, first single I Am Mine October 8th (26 days difference)
    Pearl Jam: May 2nd, first single World Wide Suicide March 14th (49 days difference)
    Backspacer: September 20th, first single The Fixer August 24th (27 days difference)
    Lightning Bolt: October 15th, first single Mind Your Manners July 11th (a WHOPPING 97 days)

this isn't just PJ doing this. Soundgarden did it with King Animal (47 days) and Alice In Chains with Dino (5 months and 10 days!!!). Just curious as to why this is the norm these days???

I like Bowie's approach:

'I'm releasing a new album next week. Here's the single.

Ciao!'
  • Options

I like Bowie's approach:

Ciao!'

I just think it's a bit anti-climactic to release your first single in 4 years and then make everyone wait so much longer for the release of the album. Unless they have some crazy over the top marketing scheme to go along with it. I'm not saying they should pull a Raconteurs (release your album the day it's announced), but a little less lead in time would maybe work a bit better.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376

I like Bowie's approach:

Ciao!'

I just think it's a bit anti-climactic to release your first single in 4 years and then make everyone wait so much longer for the release of the album. Unless they have some crazy over the top marketing scheme to go along with it. I'm not saying they should pull a Raconteurs (release your album the day it's announced), but a little less lead in time would maybe work a bit better.

I'm not sure, the Raconteurs do what they want and I respect them for that. I wouldn't mind if PJ did that.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    heyyyy.... I am so sorry to interrupt you're discussion but I did not see a proper forum for my question and I never ever come on the forums so I'm not sure where to look, who to ask, & so on & so forth... anyways, I received the Aug online news letter and it says something about joining a "win a trip to Seattle" contest & can not for the life of me find it. Please Help! :)
  • Options
    never mind. I totally figured it out apparently you just have to already be logged into the ten club site when you click enter contest from the email newsletter. just incase anyone else has never done it before and had the same question. :) thank you for your time and again I'm sorry this had nothing to do with the thread. I know there's strict rules and what not. ta!
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,212
    ^^ No worries PeaJay. Glad you wok red to how to enter :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    stoppler_pjstoppler_pj Montreal, Quebec, Canada Posts: 191
    -Emma- wrote:
    Take note of the brand name on the hat... ;)
    tumblr_mqkl9kUOw51rtpfkmo1_400.jpg

take note of the color and aperture of eddie's eyes.
    lol.
    :D

Hmm.
    You are obviously from the sticks if you call it a hoodie! Us sophisticated city folk call it a bunnyhug!
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    I wonder why they have the trip to Seattle during the middle of the week? Most people need to work on weekdays.
    Why not make it for a weekend? :?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    nutbarznutbarz Posts: 227
    justam wrote:
    I wonder why they have the trip to Seattle during the middle of the week? Most people need to work on weekdays.
    Cheaper rates during the week? Less Traffic? Something Top Secret?
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    nutbarz wrote:
    justam wrote:
    Cheaper rates during the week? Less Traffic? Something Top Secret?

Hadn't even entered till just now... hmmm a week before the tour starts, and a random giveaway trip to Seattle to do "touristy" stuff... I bet you there will be a surprise warm up gig at the showbox or something during that time! Look out for the Honking Seals!
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    Looks like a preview was given to a select few folks on a Japanese train.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/ ... johnokuchi
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • Options
    TimoRitzenTimoRitzen Posts: 147
    Cool :D
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,667
    LIGHTNING BOLT!!!............LIINIIG BOOWWTL!!!!!................LIGHTNIIIIIINNNNNG BOOOWWWLLLLLLTTTT!
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,667
    mvw wrote:
    LIGHTNING BOLT!!!............LIINIIG BOOWWTL!!!!!................LIGHTNIIIIIINNNNNG BOOOWWWLLLLLLTTTT!

Yeah, I'm quoting myself, but this is suppose to be a sing a long! C'mon peeps! This is the main thread for this record. Let's show it some busines. Sticky this bitch.
  • Options
    TP80932TP80932 Flagstaff, AZ Posts: 45
    Any idea what the "exclusive digital content" will be with the 10c vinyl? I'm partial to buying at my local record store, but if I'm going to get something really unique I could be persuaded to throw that allegiance to the wind...
    I still can't figure out how to change my username...
  • Options
    Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,990
    TP80932 wrote:
    Any idea what the "exclusive digital content" will be with the 10c vinyl? I'm partial to buying at my local record store, but if I'm going to get something really unique I could be persuaded to throw that allegiance to the wind...

Same here.

If it's some kind of making of the album you download, I'll pass.

But if it's something really special (AND on DVD or BR), I might change my mind. :)
  • Options
    I"m contemplating buying a record player so I can make Lightning Bolt my first vinyl purchase ever, but is vinyl truly worth the money? I've never actually listened to music played off a vinyl record.
    It's evolution baby
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,487
    animal1684 wrote:
    I"m contemplating buying a record player so I can make Lightning Bolt my first vinyl purchase ever, but is vinyl truly worth the money? I've never actually listened to music played off a vinyl record.

if you get a decent record player and some good speakers theres nothing like it. You dont have to spend a ton of money but dont waste your time with one of those all in 1 players crosley etc

I have a Denon reciever
    Polk tower speakers
    Audio Technica record player

all middle of the road equipment that I got for around $600 give or take....not cheap but some systems can easily get into the thousands. Mine sounds great

Vinyl is something you break out from time to time when you really want to FEEL the music and maybe have a SCOTCH 8-)

Good luck
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,212
    ^^ well put crojam35. My folks were over last weekend. My Dad's a music listener from way back & has a decent vinyl collection. I played them mp3-flac-CD-vinyl & the difference was astounding! Even on my none too flash stereo system the vinyl absolutely blew everything out of the water. I'm definitely waiting until I have Lightning Bolt vinyl in my hands before listening to the new album, no matter how long it takes to get to NZ.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    ^^ well put crojam35. My folks were over last weekend. My Dad's a music listener from way back & has a decent vinyl collection. I played them mp3-flac-CD-vinyl & the difference was astounding! Even on my none too flash stereo system the vinyl absolutely blew everything out of the water.
    Same here. I got a record player only in may of 2012. First record I played on it was Ten and the difference between that and the cd version that I was used too was amazing! And I have the most simple boxes you`ll ever see, without receiver. It`s well worth the cash
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    animal1684 wrote:

I dont want to put you off buying vinyl as i love it. Ive been collecting since the late 90s. Just a warning though, once you go there, theres no going back. You dont need to spend a fortune on your set-up but you will end up spending a lot on vinyl. Cant wait to hear this spin.
  • Options
    http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=32982

Brendan O'Brien says one of Pearl Jam's best songs ever is on Lightning Bolt. He's talking about Sirens.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    that poster on alternativenation.net named PJ (the guy who keeps foretelling the Pearl Jam future correctly) says the second single is coming VERY soon.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    TP80932TP80932 Flagstaff, AZ Posts: 45
    FR181798 wrote:
    animal1684 wrote:

I dont want to put you off buying vinyl as i love it. Ive been collecting since the late 90s. Just a warning though, once you go there, theres no going back. You dont need to spend a fortune on your set-up but you will end up spending a lot on vinyl. Cant wait to hear this spin.

holy crap is that ever true. I've spent more money in the last 2 years on music (pretty much all vinyl) than I did in the decade prior.

"I could buy the new Soundgarden for $9.99 on CD, or I could spend $34.99 for the limited edition vinyl.... Yeah, I better get the vinyl."
    I still can't figure out how to change my username...
  • Options
    TP80932 wrote:
    FR181798 wrote:
    animal1684 wrote:

holy crap is that ever true. I've spent more money in the last 2 years on music (pretty much all vinyl) than I did in the decade prior.

"I could buy the new Soundgarden for $9.99 on CD, or I could spend $34.99 for the limited edition vinyl.... Yeah, I better get the vinyl."
    :lol::lol::lol: that`s so recognisable :D:D
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    With new vinyl it just seems like if you dont buy it there and then you will kick yourself when it goes out of print. Never the same urgency with a cd. In my case I've got to get the first press even if there is a better pressing out there and cheaper.
  • Options
    FR181798 wrote:
    With new vinyl it just seems like if you dont buy it there and then you will kick yourself when it goes out of print. Never the same urgency with a cd. In my case I've got to get the first press even if there is a better pressing out there and cheaper.

that's when it has become an obsession with collecting rather than just enjoying the music. I know, I was once in those shoes. I stopped, though. it wasn't worth it on my meager salary!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,935
    I'm really looking forward to hearing Lightening Bolt on vinyl!

All of you above who have talked about the advantages of vinyl have really hit it on the nose- a pleasure to read! I especially encourage anyone thinking about going into vinyl to get a decent system-- CROJAM95 gave a great example of a fine mid-range system-- add to that (and use it, even on new records) a decent cleaning system (I'm very happy with the Spin Clean system I got from needledoctor.com), get some help or learn how to set the tracking weight properly in order to extend the live of your vinyl, and protect your album covers with clear outer sleeves- my copy of Yield, for example, still looks new.

Enjoy your new and improved listening experience! :D

And if you have a cat, keep the turn table cover on while spinning a record. :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.