Options

"Jonny Bails Floatin" My new novel, now available!

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    brianlux wrote:
    (Ps-Can I hire your step-daughter the next time around?)
    When you get to that point, let me know. She really is good. She caught so many of the errors from all who contributed to Nancy's book that we jokingly say she wrote it. She learned a lot by attending an editors conference in Chicago last year.

Excellent! I'm about 40 pages into my next one...I will (hopefully) remember this conversation 6-8 months from now and maybe she'd be willing t o work with me, (if I can afford it).. :)

I'll see her tomorrow and we'll talk about it. Also, I'll lend her my copy of your book to read- I think she will like it! :)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    brianlux wrote:
    Excellent! I'm about 40 pages into my next one...I will (hopefully) remember this conversation 6-8 months from now and maybe she'd be willing t o work with me, (if I can afford it).. :)

I'll see her tomorrow and we'll talk about it. Also, I'll lend her my copy of your book to read- I think she will like it! :)

Awesome, thanks Brian!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328
    I'm close to halfway, and really I am impressed. It is equally interesting and funny - some lines I have texted to a friend because they were so amusing to me. The style reminds me a little of The Rum Diary and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (maybe that's a strange combo but I like it).

So far, :clap::clap:
    I win.
  • Options
    hgpjam11 wrote:
    I'm close to halfway, and really I am impressed. It is equally interesting and funny - some lines I have texted to a friend because they were so amusing to me. The style reminds me a little of The Rum Diary and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (maybe that's a strange combo but I like it).

So far, :clap::clap:

:D oh man that is so cool to hear Hgpjam! Thanks!
    It's fun to hear comparisons. Share those lines here! 8-)

I hope you enjoy the second half too.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    lazlobluelazloblue Houston Posts: 738
    Just finished reading my copy. Bravo!! I want more!!!!

I so very much enjoyed your imagination and writing style. Please continue the story, so much more to learn of these characters. I want the back story on Maglio, Edward and Dr. Morgan. I want the future on Johnny, Leila, Booker and "the one to come".

Looking forward to your next one.

Congratulations!! and Thanks for Sharing. :clap::clap::clap:
    Lollapalooza 92, Alpine Valley 11, De Luna 12, Wrigley/Pittsburgh/Dallas/OKC 13, Tulsa/Denver 14, Global 15, Wrigley 1/2 16
  • Options
    lazloblue wrote:
    Just finished reading my copy. Bravo!! I want more!!!!

I so very much enjoyed your imagination and writing style. Please continue the story, so much more to learn of these characters. I want the back story on Maglio, Edward and Dr. Morgan. I want the future on Johnny, Leila, Booker and "the one to come".

Looking forward to your next one.

Congratulations!! and Thanks for Sharing. :clap::clap::clap:

Oh man, hearing that just makes my day! Thanks lazloblue! :D
    I may have said it already in this thread so sorry for repeating, but I never really thought about a sequel while I was writing. And I honestly didnt intend on leaving so many things open-ended. But the more I think about it, I think I will revisit the Jonny Bails crew one day. 8-)
  • Options
    hgpjam11hgpjam11 Posts: 1,328

Finished lastnight, and enjoyed the whole thing. Very strange and interesting story, with a lot of interesting characters. Very well done, sir!

A couple of the lines that made me laugh:
    "When you subdue laughter, it sometimes makes it worse. I snorted."
    "I win." ( that's something my friend & I say a lot with stupid work things)

And the chicken at the beginning... Something about a potential sandwich walking around.
    I win.
  • Options
    hgpjam11 wrote:

Finished lastnight, and enjoyed the whole thing. Very strange and interesting story, with a lot of interesting characters. Very well done, sir!

A couple of the lines that made me laugh:
    "When you subdue laughter, it sometimes makes it worse. I snorted."
    "I win." ( that's something my friend & I say a lot with stupid work things)

And the chicken at the beginning... Something about a potential sandwich walking around.

Hg, thanks so much!
    There really are potential sandwiches just wandering the streets of Key West. But the better sandwiches are out in the ocean. :P
  • Options
    Received a nice review from the Keys News Paper yesterday! :mrgreen:

1374225_10202321184610255_1315137185_n.jpg
  • Options
    Keys News:
    "Reviewed by David and Nancy Beckwith, authors of the Will and Betsy Black adventure series

When we first received an advance copy of Jonny Bails Floatin we were skeptical of its merit. While we were familiar with the concept of bioluminescence in nature, we thought it was a stretch that it could also be present in humans as well. For our readers not familiar with the concept, bioluminescence is described in Wikipedia as a cold light emission by living organisms not to be confused with iridescence, structural coloration or phosphorescence. The most common bioluminescent creature is the common firefly. We first encountered it in other sea-life at the famous Luminous Lagoon outside of Falmouth Jamaica. When we Googled the concept, however, we found that ultra-sensitive cameras used in scientific experiments have revealed that the human body does emit tiny amounts of light too weak for the human eye to detect.

Jonny Bails Floatin’s protagonist, Jonny Bails, is a Key West barnacle scraper by day who becomes a hard-drinking, wisecracking, Bible-quoting Mallory Square musician at night and discovers he has somehow contracted an unusual case of bioluminescence strong enough to be visible to others. It begins with his fingers and other extremities emitting a subtle blue-speckled glow reminiscent of that produced by floating bioluminescent organisms. Jonny speculates as to the reasons for his rare condition while juggling other variables in his life. As Jonny struggles to get a handle on and gain control of his condition he encounters questionable doctors, scheming lawyers, and old friends and becomes a local celebrity of sorts before finally meeting a person who can provide answers for him.

Jonny Bails Floatin has a Keysian diverse cast of characters. There is tourist turned girlfriend, Leila, aging almost over-the-hill horn player Booker, a treacherous street musician who calls himself The Bomb (The Biggest One-Man Band), drug dealer Bruce, round-heeled motel clerk Muriel, unscrupulous and inscrutable Dr. Kaito, and the senior-citizen New Orleans philosopher Edward.

J. Lee Glassman resides with his wife in West Palm Beach, but spends as much time as he can in the Keys. He grew up in Boca Raton and Key Colony Beach. He has a bachelor degree from the University of Florida. Glassman is the front-man for the South Florida rock bank Luna Rex. He also works as a writer and has produced a national science education video series. Jonny Bails Floatin is Glassman’s debut novel. It marries his fascination with his dual loves of the ocean and music.

We were having trouble pigeonholing Jonny Bails Floatin into a genre so we quizzed the author on this topic. His response was “I was calling this adventure/sci-fi, but I’ve recently learned that there is a genre called magical realism. Johnny Bails Floatin might fall under magical realism.”

We found Jonny Bails Floatin to be a quick entertaining read. We were please to find that unlike many self-published or subsidized publishing ventures, the book had sound editing and proof-reading. Nothing turns us off quicker than sloppy editing. We were also pleased that the book was not used to try to set a new world record for Keys name dropping (as is too often the case). Glassman cited enough local landmarks to be effective without overdoing it in an attempt to prove he was a local."
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

Hey that's an Ego Boost! Congrats!
  • Options
    cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Waiting for next year... Posts: 3,365

awesome, Jonny!!! :thumbup:

And crap, I forgot to do the Amazon review...I'm sorry. I'll try to do it this week.

i love the packers. :|
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

And crap, I forgot to do the Amazon review...I'm sorry. I'll try to do it this week.

Me Too, think i need to reread it first.
  • Options
    cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Waiting for next year... Posts: 3,365

Me Too, think i need to reread it first.

I was thinking the same thing. I am kinda missing Jonny's world.

i love the packers. ugh
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,651
    Glad you got positive feedback and they liked your book. I would dare say that the critics seem to take their role very seriously. I will leave it at that -- this is kudos for your work not a smear on the critics. ;)
    Keys News:
    "Reviewed by David and Nancy Beckwith, authors of the Will and Betsy Black adventure series

When we first received an advance copy of Jonny Bails Floatin we were skeptical of its merit. While we were familiar with the concept of bioluminescence in nature, we thought it was a stretch that it could also be present in humans as well. For our readers not familiar with the concept, bioluminescence is described in Wikipedia as a cold light emission by living organisms not to be confused with iridescence, structural coloration or phosphorescence. The most common bioluminescent creature is the common firefly. We first encountered it in other sea-life at the famous Luminous Lagoon outside of Falmouth Jamaica. When we Googled the concept, however, we found that ultra-sensitive cameras used in scientific experiments have revealed that the human body does emit tiny amounts of light too weak for the human eye to detect.

Jonny Bails Floatin’s protagonist, Jonny Bails, is a Key West barnacle scraper by day who becomes a hard-drinking, wisecracking, Bible-quoting Mallory Square musician at night and discovers he has somehow contracted an unusual case of bioluminescence strong enough to be visible to others. It begins with his fingers and other extremities emitting a subtle blue-speckled glow reminiscent of that produced by floating bioluminescent organisms. Jonny speculates as to the reasons for his rare condition while juggling other variables in his life. As Jonny struggles to get a handle on and gain control of his condition he encounters questionable doctors, scheming lawyers, and old friends and becomes a local celebrity of sorts before finally meeting a person who can provide answers for him.

Jonny Bails Floatin has a Keysian diverse cast of characters. There is tourist turned girlfriend, Leila, aging almost over-the-hill horn player Booker, a treacherous street musician who calls himself The Bomb (The Biggest One-Man Band), drug dealer Bruce, round-heeled motel clerk Muriel, unscrupulous and inscrutable Dr. Kaito, and the senior-citizen New Orleans philosopher Edward.

J. Lee Glassman resides with his wife in West Palm Beach, but spends as much time as he can in the Keys. He grew up in Boca Raton and Key Colony Beach. He has a bachelor degree from the University of Florida. Glassman is the front-man for the South Florida rock bank Luna Rex. He also works as a writer and has produced a national science education video series. Jonny Bails Floatin is Glassman’s debut novel. It marries his fascination with his dual loves of the ocean and music.

We were having trouble pigeonholing Jonny Bails Floatin into a genre so we quizzed the author on this topic. His response was “I was calling this adventure/sci-fi, but I’ve recently learned that there is a genre called magical realism. Johnny Bails Floatin might fall under magical realism.”

We found Jonny Bails Floatin to be a quick entertaining read. We were please to find that unlike many self-published or subsidized publishing ventures, the book had sound editing and proof-reading. Nothing turns us off quicker than sloppy editing. We were also pleased that the book was not used to try to set a new world record for Keys name dropping (as is too often the case). Glassman cited enough local landmarks to be effective without overdoing it in an attempt to prove he was a local."
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Thanks CubBEE and BJ!
    I miss the jonny bails world too -- so much that I'm going to Key West in November. :D
  • Options
    Glad you got positive feedback and they liked your book. I would dare say that the critics seem to take their role very seriously. I will leave it at that -- this is kudos for your work not a smear on the critics. ;)

I do get a bit nervous every time I am dealing with a critic. Sooner or later someone is going to bring the house down :lol:
    But luckily I can take criticism pretty well. 8-)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,651

I do get a bit nervous every time I am dealing with a critic. Sooner or later someone is going to bring the house down :lol:
    But luckily I can take criticism pretty well. 8-)

One of my buddies was in a sub pop band in the 90s/early 00s and I remember responding to many a critic who shit on their efforts and having some funny exchanges.
    Critic is a tough job I suppose as your name implies some level of criticism but some people tend to be total dickbags about how they do it. Part of being brave enough to put your work out there!
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    I finally finished the German novel I had started before JBF, and now I'm back in the saddle :) And I'm still enjoying it! Just wanted to say that :D

Congrats on the reviews. It is indeed a very entertaining read. I love the characters, I instantly have pics of how they look in my mind. That is a good sign for me as a reader :D
  • Options
    One of my buddies was in a sub pop band in the 90s/early 00s and I remember responding to many a critic who shit on their efforts and having some funny exchanges.
    Critic is a tough job I suppose as your name implies some level of criticism but some people tend to be total dickbags about how they do it. Part of being brave enough to put your work out there!

I used to be so sensitive and being in a band really built my thick skin too. I just remind myself of what the majority of folks are listening to these days and I feel better. :lol:

But yeah, thick skin is a must. I read about another author who has decent success in self publishing and she has nearly 100 reviews on amazon, mostly good. But the one or two scathing reviews makes her want to quit! Personally, I'm just excited about the fact that people are taking the time to read my book. That in itself is flattering. If I get bad reviews, I'll live. :P
  • Options
    I finally finished the German novel I had started before JBF, and now I'm back in the saddle :) And I'm still enjoying it! Just wanted to say that :D

Congrats on the reviews. It is indeed a very entertaining read. I love the characters, I instantly have pics of how they look in my mind. That is a good sign for me as a reader :D

:D:D Leeze, that makes me so happy to hear...especially since I was really unsure how much to describe the characters physically. I decided to let the reader use their imagination a little more than usual, but I thought their personalities might even paint a physical picture without me telling you directly. Its a strange balance deciding how much info to give on appearances, I think.
  • Options

:D:D Leeze, that makes me so happy to hear...especially since I was really unsure how much to describe the characters physically. I decided to let the reader use their imagination a little more than usual, but I thought their personalities might even paint a physical picture without me telling you directly. Its a strange balance deciding how much info to give on appearances, I think.

Defo, but you did a great job, your characters are far away from flat :thumbup: One thing I love about reading is that it gets my imagination going, so much that at times I think I know these people from somewhere. This is why I rarely watch movies that have been based on books I have read. Well, and most of the times they butcher the story anyway :lol:
  • Options

Defo, but you did a great job, your characters are far away from flat :thumbup: One thing I love about reading is that it gets my imagination going, so much that at times I think I know these people from somewhere. This is why I rarely watch movies that have been based on books I have read. Well, and most of the times they butcher the story anyway :lol:

Well thank you so much! :D
    And this is why I will turn down those hollywood suits when they wanna ruin my book! :mrgreen: Jsut kiddin...I have a friend who knows a screen writer/hollywood guy. He's going to pass it along, so ive got my fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Best of luck! I can totally see this as a movie! It reminds me a bit of Rum Diary. Loved the book, but wasn't that overwhelmed with the movie, despite Johnny Depp...
    If they wanna cut out or alter too much, make sure you get a shitload of money out of it and appear as Alan Smithee in the credits ;)
  • Options
    Best of luck! I can totally see this as a movie! It reminds me a bit of Rum Diary. Loved the book, but wasn't that overwhelmed with the movie, despite Johnny Depp...
    If they wanna cut out or alter too much, make sure you get a shitload of money out of it and appear as Alan Smithee in the credits ;)

:lol::D Will do. And I still need to read the Rum Diary. I have the movie saved in my netflix, but I havent felt the urge to watch yet.

Interesting example of hollywwod and books is my favorite author Anne Rice. They did a great job with interview with a Vampire, then they completely destroyed Queen of the Damned. She says publicly that she is embarrassed at Queen of the Damnd and a bit upset that they wouldnt let her have ANY input. Hollyood: :fp:
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Wait, you wrote a book???
  • Options

:lol::D Will do. And I still need to read the Rum Diary. I have the movie saved in my netflix, but I havent felt the urge to watch yet.

Interesting example of hollywwod and books is my favorite author Anne Rice. They did a great job with interview with a Vampire, then they completely destroyed Queen of the Damned. She says publicly that she is embarrassed at Queen of the Damnd and a bit upset that they wouldnt let her have ANY input. Hollyood: :fp:

Agreed on Hollywood :fp: :lol: I have been here at the movies one time, last year. To see the new Tarantino movie. Other than that, nothing really appeals to me. I kinda miss the small European movies :shifty:

Oh and READ Rum diary before you watch that flick! Amber Heard is a sight to behold, but the story in the book is much cooler imo :)
  • Options
    Jumping on a cross country flight today and will bring this book w/me!
  • Options
    Agreed on Hollywood :fp: :lol: I have been here at the movies one time, last year. To see the new Tarantino movie. Other than that, nothing really appeals to me. I kinda miss the small European movies :shifty:

Oh and READ Rum diary before you watch that flick! Amber Heard is a sight to behold, but the story in the book is much cooler imo :)

The last few years hollywood flicks have been pretty bad. I'm happy I found netflix streaming...there are a lot of cool indie flicks that I would have never tried out. I wonder, where would one go to see small european movies in the US?
    Wait, you wrote a book???

:lol: Well, it only started out as drunken scribbling because I coundnt drive. Then yes, somehow it morphed into a book, will real pages and letters and numbers and everything. :P
  • Options
    Jumping on a cross country flight today and will bring this book w/me!

I hear its a quick easy read. :D:mrgreen: Where ya headed?