Options

Background check defeated...Obama pissed.

Comments

• Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    Mickyrat, do really believe all the guns on the black market are US domestic weapons ? the black market is flooded with Russian surplus as for the US most weapons on the domestic black market are stolen, in the us when you buy a gun you must reg. it asap (granted not everybody does) but then you risk having the seller turn in your name for buying his weapons.

Godfather.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,881
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Why do you think? Just curious.
    They all face re-election next year in red states.

They actually don't.

Heidi Heitkamp just voted in in January, term ends 2019
    Mark Pryor's term ends 2015
    Max Baucus is seeking re-election 2014 after 6 terms already (where's the limits??)
    Harry Reid is up for a 6th term in 2016 (again... limits?)
    Mark Begich term ends in 2016

That's one person worried about re-election next year.
    supposedly Reid changed at the last minute that would allow for some kind of reintroduction of the bill later?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Godfather. wrote:
    :clap::clap::clap::clap: :thumbup:
    thank you !

REPUBLICANS WHO VOTED FOR THE PROPOSAL

Susan Collins (R-ME)
    Mark Kirk (R-IL)
    John McCain (R-AZ)
    Pat Toomey (R-PA)

DEMOCRATS WHO VOTED AGAINST THE PROPOSAL

Max Baucus (D-MT)
    Mark Begich (D-AK)
    Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND)
    Mark Pryor (D-AR)
    Harry Reid (D-NV) (Voted "no" as a procedural move to preserve option to reintroduce the bill.)

REPUBLICANS WHO VOTED AGAINST THE PROPOSAL

Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
    Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
    John Barrasso (R-WY)
    Roy Blunt (R-MO)
    John Boozman (R-AR)
    Richard Burr (R-NC)
    Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)
    Dan Coats (R-IN)
    Tom Coburn (R-OK)
    Thad Cochran (R-MS)
    Bob Corker (R-TN)
    John Cornyn (R-TX)
    Mike Crapo (R-ID)
    Ted Cruz (R-TX)
    Michael Enzi (R-WY)
    Deb Fischer (R-NE)
    Jeff Flake (R-AZ)
    Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
    Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
    Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
    Dean Heller (R-NV)
    John Hoeven (R-ND)
    Jim Inhofe (R-OK)
    Johnny Isakson (R-GA)
    Mike Johanns (R-NE)
    Ron Johnson (R-WI)
    Mike Lee (R-UT)
    Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
    Jerry Moran (R-KS)
    Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
    Rand Paul (R-KY)
    Rob Portman (R-OH)
    James Risch (R-ID)
    Pat Roberts (R-KS)
    Marco Rubio (R-FL)
    Timothy Scott (R-SC)
    Jeff Sessions (R-AL)
    Richard Shelby (R-AL)
    John Thune (R-SD)
    David Vitter (R-LA)
    Roger Wicker (R-MS)

DEMOCRATS WHO VOTED FOR THE PROPOSAL

Tammy Baldwin (D-WI)
    Michael Bennet (D-CO)
    Richard Blumenthal (D-CT)
    Barbara Boxer (D-CA)
    Sherrod Brown (D-OH)
    Maria Cantwell (D-WA)
    Ben Cardin (D-MD)
    Thomas Carper (D-DE)
    Bob Casey (D-PA)
    Christopher Coons (D-DE)
    William "Mo" Cowan (D-MA)
    Joe Donnelly (D-IN)
    Richard Durbin (D-IL)
    Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
    Al Franken (D-MN)
    Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)
    Kay Hagan (D-NC)
    Tom Harkin (D-IA)
    Martin Heinrich (D-NM)
    Mazie Hirono (D-HI)
    Tim Johnson (D-SD)
    Timothy Kaine (D-VA)
    Amy Klobuchar (D-MN)
    Mary Landrieu (D-LA)
    Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ)
    Patrick Leahy (D-VT)
    Carl Levin (D-MI)
    Joe Manchin (D-WV)
    Claire McCaskill (D-MO)
    Robert Menendez (D-NJ)
    Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
    Barbara Mikulski (D-MD)
    Christopher Murphy (D-CT)
    Patty Murray (D-WA)
    Bill Nelson (D-FL)
    John Reed (D-RI)
    Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)
    Brian Schatz (D-HI)
    Charles Schumer (D-NY)
    Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH)
    Debbie Stabenow (D-MI)
    Jon Tester (D-MT)
    Mark Udall (D-CO)
    Tom Udall (D-NM)
    Mark Warner (D-VA)
    Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)
    Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI)
    Ron Wyden (D-OR)
    INDEPENDENTS

Angus King (I-ME): Yea
    Bernie Sanders (I-VT): Yea

sorry guys but this is something I believe strongly in.

Godfather.

I ask again you are ok with anybody buying weapons of all kinds at anytime , like a felon just spent 10yrs for armed robbery , a mental pt who just got discharged , an alqueda cell living amongst us because that is what you're applauding so just for the record you have no problem with this ? ..and if you don't believe that this is what's happening i'd say you are living in a hole ....

:lol::lol::lol: alright bro then there is always the spoon and car thing right ? :lol::lol:

Godfather.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    GF a simple yes or no , what's so hard about standing behind your convictions ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    GF a simple yes or no , what's so hard about standing behind your convictions ..

:lol::lol: sorry man but I just can't take you comment seriously.

Godfather.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Godfather. wrote:
    i will just come out and say it.

obama wanted this passed. i promise you that that is one of the reasons those that opposed it actually opposed it.

actually one of the reasons we/I didn't want this to go thru is that it would just be another step closer to the next bill and the next till someday they try and abolish publicly owned guns all together so to me it was nipping it in the bud right away.

Godfather.

but this didn't happen when they banned machine guns back in 1986, so why do you think it would happen now?

what is wrong with having the same standard at gun shows as they have a gun shops?
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Why not forget the comment , this is a ? are you ok with anybody being able to purchase any type of weapon at any time ...There a simple ?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    mickeyrat wrote:
    supposedly Reid changed at the last minute that would allow for some kind of reintroduction of the bill later?

That's correct. In order for the bill/amendment to be reintroduced for further consideration, someone who voted "no" has to be the one to reintroduce it. Since most of the "no" votes are from people who really want the bill to die, someone who actually is a "yes" has to switch at the last minute, when it's clear it's going to fail, and vote "no" to preserve the option to reintroduce. It doesn't have to be the majority leader, but that's who the duty usually falls to.

So Reid's vote has nothing to do with reelection fears, but most of the rest of them likely do, even the ones whose election years are far out. The big political reality is that the powerful, well-funded gun lobby was going to come after any yea-voting Republican or red-state Democrat in full force during their next primary, and with that kind of PAC money behind the pro-gun push, the odds would be that those senators wouldn't survive the primary challenge if they voted for the bill.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Spoony C wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

That's correct. In order for the bill/amendment to be reintroduced for further consideration, someone who voted "no" has to be the one to reintroduce it. Since most of the "no" votes are from people who really want the bill to die, someone who actually is a "yes" has to switch at the last minute, when it's clear it's going to fail, and vote "no" to preserve the option to reintroduce. It doesn't have to be the majority leader, but that's who the duty usually falls to.

So Reid's vote has nothing to do with reelection fears, but most of the rest of them likely do, even the ones whose election years are far out. The big political reality is that the powerful, well-funded gun lobby was going to come after any yea-voting Republican or red-state Democrat in full force during their next primary, and with that kind of PAC money behind the pro-gun push, the odds would be that those senators wouldn't survive the primary challenge if they voted for the bill.

Right. Taken from the article:
    Harry Reid (D-NV) (Voted "no" as a procedural move to preserve option to reintroduce the bill.)
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    As someone said this wasn't expected to pass so I wonder how many got busy and wrote, called,
    daily their representatives if they wanted this to pass .... like the very many who didn't want it.
    It's important to join groups, put your $$$ where your mouth is, contact your representatives
    for the causes you believe in. I hope everyone here put their 2 cents worth in. And 90% of what :?
    not the entire population. Must be Obama math again.... liar.... we see that now right?
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    As someone said this wasn't expected to pass so I wonder how many got busy and wrote, called,
    daily their representatives if they wanted this to pass .... like the very many who didn't want it.
    It's important to join groups, put your $$$ where your mouth is, contact your representatives
    for the causes you believe in. I hope everyone here put their 2 cents worth in. And 90% of what :?
    not the entire population. Must be Obama math again.... liar.... we see that now right?

are you telling people to lobby government with $$$? cause i have a feeling that this is the root of all your problems in your country.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    pandora wrote:

are you telling people to lobby government with $$$? cause i have a feeling that this is the root of all your problems in your country.
    guess if you look at things negatively... which might be a theme for some...
    should I ask why yet again :?

people join organizations that promote what they believe in and together they work
    for policy they want to see.

The key word here though was not money but work ...
    hope everyone worked towards the outcome they wanted.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    pandora wrote:
    fife wrote:
    pandora wrote:

people join organizations that promote what they believe in and together they work

It's delusional to think that it's the people who have not bugged their senators enough for the the reason it got voted down. It got voted down due to politics and lobbying for the NRA. Have you even read the rest of the thread?
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Jeanwah wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    fife wrote:

It's delusional to think that it's the people who have not bugged their senators enough for the the reason it got voted down. It got voted down due to politics and lobbying for the NRA. Have you even read the rest of the thread?

Especially because most of these politicians refuse to talk to their constituents. Leave a message at the beep and we'll get back to you :fp:
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    riotgrl wrote:

Especially because most of these politicians refuse to talk to their constituents. Leave a message at the beep and we'll get back to you :fp:

I've called, written numerous times, and had one Senator reply to me ONCE via email.

My house rep never EVER writes me back.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    fife wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Jeanwah wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Byrnzie wrote:
    Some things can only be confronted with satire:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/b ... eople.html

Courageous Senators Stand Up to American People
    Posted by Andy Borowitz
    April 18, 2013

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In the halls of the United States Senate, dozens of Senators congratulated themselves today for having what one of them called “the courage and grit to stand up to the overwhelming wishes of the American people.”

“We kept hearing, again and again, that ninety per cent of the American people wanted us to vote a certain way,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky). “Well, at the end of the day, we decided that we weren’t going to cave in to that kind of special-interest group.”

“It was a gut check, for sure, but we had to draw a line in the sand,” agreed Senator Lindsey Graham (R-S. Carolina). “If we had voted the way the American people wanted us to, it would have sent the message that we’re here in Washington to be nothing more than their elected representatives.”

Calling yesterday’s Senate action “a bipartisan effort,” Senator Mark Pryor (D-Arkansas) said, “This proves that on a matter that affects the safety of every man, woman, and child in the nation, we can reach across the aisle to defy the interests of all of them.”

Senator McConnell agreed that yesterday’s vote “sent a powerful message,” adding, “If the American people think that just because they voted us into office and pay our salaries, benefits, and pensions, we are somehow obliged to listen to them, they are sorely mistaken.”

You are correct when you have Senators like McConnell who make statements like this ^^^^^^. Pandora what would any contact of our representatives do when some have this kind of thinking. It would have ZERO EFFECT and it is a delusional thought to think any lobbying of reps would make a difference in making this bill pass.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    g under p wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

Posted by Andy Borowitz
    April 18, 2013

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In the halls of the United States Senate, dozens of Senators congratulated themselves today for having what one of them called “the courage and grit to stand up to the overwhelming wishes of the American people.”

“We kept hearing, again and again, that ninety per cent of the American people wanted us to vote a certain way,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky). “Well, at the end of the day, we decided that we weren’t going to cave in to that kind of special-interest group.”

“It was a gut check, for sure, but we had to draw a line in the sand,” agreed Senator Lindsey Graham (R-S. Carolina). “If we had voted the way the American people wanted us to, it would have sent the message that we’re here in Washington to be nothing more than their elected representatives.”

Calling yesterday’s Senate action “a bipartisan effort,” Senator Mark Pryor (D-Arkansas) said, “This proves that on a matter that affects the safety of every man, woman, and child in the nation, we can reach across the aisle to defy the interests of all of them.”

Senator McConnell agreed that yesterday’s vote “sent a powerful message,” adding, “If the American people think that just because they voted us into office and pay our salaries, benefits, and pensions, we are somehow obliged to listen to them, they are sorely mistaken.”

You are correct when you have Senators like McConnell who make statements like this ^^^^^^. Pandora what would any contact of our representatives do when some have this kind of thinking. It would have ZERO EFFECT and it is a delusional thought to think any lobbying of reps would make a difference in making this bill pass.

Peace

It's a satirical piece.

Although it's interesting how many people have taken it to be real; as if you really wouldn't be too surprised to hear these politicians actually say these things. I think the contempt of certain politicians for the people is obvious, above and beyond this piece of satire.
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Byrnzie wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

Posted by Andy Borowitz
    April 18, 2013

Peace

It's a satirical piece.

Although it's interesting how many people have taken it to be real; as if you really wouldn't be too surprised to hear these politicians actually say these things. I think the contempt of certain politicians for the people is obvious, above and beyond this piece of satire.

It was interesting to see everyone fooled even though you said it was satire.

I was going to mention it, but thought it was more amusing to just let it roll.
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Godfather. wrote:

Godfather.

Why not forget the comment , this is a ? are you ok with anybody being able to purchase any type of weapon at any time ...There a simple ?

I guess his absurd "right to bear arms" is more important than protecting human lives. Pretty ridiculous.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Not much of a surprise here. Once again, filling ones pocket takes precedence over human life.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ap ... d-senators

Gun control vote: all but three 'no' senators received pro-gun cash

Analysis of campaign disclosures shows 42 of 45 dissenting senators logged donations from firearms lobbyists

Dan Roberts in Washington
    The Guardian, Thursday 18 April 2013

All but three of the 45 senators who torpedoed gun control measures in Congress on Wednesday have received money from firearms lobbyists, according to new analysis by the Guardian and the Sunlight Foundation.

...Some, such as Indiana Republican Dan Coats, registered donations from pro-shooting groups as recently as three weeks ago, when the proposal to extend background checks was still seen as likely to pass.

...Documents also show the NRA saw a surge in donations to its lobbying arm in the months following Newtown – registering a record $2.7m in cash during January and February. Further disclosures showing the scale of its recent donations, particularly to politicians in the House of Representatives, are expected on Saturday.

The Gun Owners of America and National Association for Gun Rights – two groups seen as more conservative than the NRA – have also been active in the Senate, giving $9,000 and $5,000 respectively to Ted Cruz, one of the leaders of Republican opposition to the amendment.
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Not much of a surprise here. Once again, filling ones pocket takes precedence over human life.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ap ... d-senators

Gun control vote: all but three 'no' senators received pro-gun cash

Analysis of campaign disclosures shows 42 of 45 dissenting senators logged donations from firearms lobbyists

Dan Roberts in Washington
    The Guardian, Thursday 18 April 2013

All but three of the 45 senators who torpedoed gun control measures in Congress on Wednesday have received money from firearms lobbyists, according to new analysis by the Guardian and the Sunlight Foundation.

...Some, such as Indiana Republican Dan Coats, registered donations from pro-shooting groups as recently as three weeks ago, when the proposal to extend background checks was still seen as likely to pass.

...Documents also show the NRA saw a surge in donations to its lobbying arm in the months following Newtown – registering a record $2.7m in cash during January and February. Further disclosures showing the scale of its recent donations, particularly to politicians in the House of Representatives, are expected on Saturday.

The Gun Owners of America and National Association for Gun Rights – two groups seen as more conservative than the NRA – have also been active in the Senate, giving $9,000 and $5,000 respectively to Ted Cruz, one of the leaders of Republican opposition to the amendment.

How anyone can support or be associated with this disgusting organization is a disgrace. I don't wan to hear any condolences for any shootings from them or their kind. This is their fault!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    fife wrote:
    pandora wrote:

oh please, I don't doubt for a second that people worked for what they want to see. the issue is that politicians don't really care about the voters and only care about the special interest groups like the NRA. like someone posted here 99% of the people who voted no for this got money from the NRA.
  • Options
    g under p wrote:
    fife wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Jeanwah wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Byrnzie wrote:

Posted by Andy Borowitz
    April 18, 2013

Peace
    Should I take this as a no then? :lol:
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    does anyone else find it odd that "criminals" are the reason we can't do background checks, you know, since criminals have guns...

and I'm glad O-bama was pissed...he should be...anyone with a brain and a heart should have been pissed....
  • Options
    The use of polling numbers in this thread is funny. Does anyone even know where these polls came from? What were the exact questions asked? Who was asked? I know I have never been polled on this issue. This is like saying...90% of the people on this board votes for who Eddie Vedder wants them to vote for.

Why don't they try to enforce the current laws on the books instead of trying to create new ones? A felon who goes into a gun store and tries to buy a gun is suppose to be prosecuted. In 2010, apparently some 15000+ felons attempted to buy a gun and were denied with a background check. Only 44 were prosecuted...
  • Options
    The use of polling numbers in this thread is funny. Does anyone even know where these polls came from? What were the exact questions asked? Who was asked? I know I have never been polled on this issue. This is like saying...90% of the people on this board votes for who Eddie Vedder wants them to vote for.

Why don't they try to enforce the current laws on the books instead of trying to create new ones? A felon who goes into a gun store and tries to buy a gun is suppose to be prosecuted. In 2010, apparently some 15000+ felons attempted to buy a gun and were denied with a background check. Only 44 were prosecuted...

you find polling numbers funny then use your own numbers to prove a point...where did you find your numbers...?

I don't understand why a felon can't own a gun...guns are fun and safe...oh yeah...2nd amendment rights...
  • Options

thank you for your good common sense ...
    Everytime I hear our President say 90% of Americans, and it's been a helluva lot of times,
    I have to talk back to him. Nothing naughty just :wtf:
  • Options
    You are correct. Guns are fun and safe in the hands of law abiding citizens who have been properly trained in the use of the firearm.
  • Options
    You are correct. Guns are fun and safe in the hands of law abiding citizens who have been properly trained in the use of the firearm.

you assume folks are "properly trained"....

tell me, how do you define "properly trained"....?
  • Options

your banging your head aginst a well with this group :lol: they think banning firearms will save the world :lol:

Godfather.