Options

Background check defeated...Obama pissed.

Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
edited April 2013 in A Moving Train
The Senate on Wednesday defeated a vital background check amendment seen as the linchpin to Democrats' gun control bill, dealing a major setback to President Obama -- who lashed out at opponents in unusually blunt terms during remarks from the Rose Garden.

"All in all, this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," Obama said, accusing the gun lobby of lying about the bill.

The vote was 54-46, with supporters falling six votes short of the required 60-vote threshold.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04 ... z2QpAiyNzy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    That was not a big surprise.
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• Options
    Its a failure of common sense. 90% of America wanted it.
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Some things can only be confronted with satire:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/b ... eople.html

Courageous Senators Stand Up to American People
    Posted by Andy Borowitz
    April 18, 2013

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In the halls of the United States Senate, dozens of Senators congratulated themselves today for having what one of them called “the courage and grit to stand up to the overwhelming wishes of the American people.”

“We kept hearing, again and again, that ninety per cent of the American people wanted us to vote a certain way,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky). “Well, at the end of the day, we decided that we weren’t going to cave in to that kind of special-interest group.”

“It was a gut check, for sure, but we had to draw a line in the sand,” agreed Senator Lindsey Graham (R-S. Carolina). “If we had voted the way the American people wanted us to, it would have sent the message that we’re here in Washington to be nothing more than their elected representatives.”

Calling yesterday’s Senate action “a bipartisan effort,” Senator Mark Pryor (D-Arkansas) said, “This proves that on a matter that affects the safety of every man, woman, and child in the nation, we can reach across the aisle to defy the interests of all of them.”

Senator McConnell agreed that yesterday’s vote “sent a powerful message,” adding, “If the American people think that just because they voted us into office and pay our salaries, benefits, and pensions, we are somehow obliged to listen to them, they are sorely mistaken.”
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

^
    This.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    our system is broken.

when 90% of the population supports something, it should be reflected in congress. it should be a no brainer.

it just shows that lobbyist power is out of control. the nra lied and said that this bill would pave the way to a federal gun owner database, when the actual text of the bill made such a registry illegal.

:fp:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,313
    Senator McConnell agreed that yesterday’s vote “sent a powerful message,” adding, “If the American people think that just because they voted us into office and pay our salaries, benefits, and pensions, we are somehow obliged to listen to them, they are sorely mistaken.”

This prick above is the 1st asshole i wanna see voted out ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

Totally agree. What flagrant arrogance. :x
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363

Did he really say this?? :shock:
  • Options

me too. he is up for re-election in 2014. he won't lose though. ashley judd was going to run against him but she bowed out.

remember, this asshole is the guy on obama's first day in office said that his goal is to make obama a one term president.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options

me too. he is up for re-election in 2014. he won't lose though. ashley judd was going to run against him but she bowed out.

remember, this asshole is the guy on obama's first day in office said that his goal is to make obama a one term president.

Oh i remember i can't stand him man what a shame they just told every parent in Newtown " Go fuck yourself we don't care that your child was massacred " ....And that is totally irresponsible :evil:
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    local paper here and one of the largest in canada is running a series on the gun trade ...

i think even if this bill did pass - it wouldn't change much ... there are already laws that are currently being blatantly ignored ... pretty much anyone can go buy a gun without a background check if they go to the right areas ...
  • Options
    in a few years history is going to give this congress, and senate especially, a big :fp:

• Options
    Mitch McConnell Facebook Page Mocks Failure Of Gun Legislation

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/1 ... 07601.html

WASHINGTON -- A meme was posted Wednesday on Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell's (R-Ky.) Facebook page mocking the failure of gun control legislation in the Senate.

The mash-up features photos of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) with captions asking how much gun control he can have, and McConnell holding up a zero sign with the message, "You can have this much gun control." The final picture is Reid looking downcast.

The compilation appears to have been created by a McConnell supporter, but it is posted with a message praising the mockery of such legislation that was designed in the wake of America's recent shooting horrors.

"We love the memes you send us! Keep them coming!" the message says.

Not everyone who saw it was pleased, however.

"I'm not sure how you can look yourself in the mirror," posted Steve Sussman Thursday morning.

"McConnell and his ilk should be ashamed, not gloating like this is funny," wrote Claire Rezba.

There were also plenty of supporters among the commenters, and nearly 4,000 people had "Liked" the image as of Thursday morning.

link to picture below :

http://nomorecocktails.com/images/MitchYouCan.jpg

• Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I don't he's personally pissed, i don't think he gives a shit one way or the other.
  • Options
    I don't he's personally pissed, i don't think he gives a shit one way or the other.
    did you watch his speech yesterday?

either he is a great actor, or he is really pissed. i have never seen him scold congress like that before. not even for the debt ceiling.

• Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158

either he is a great actor, or he is really pissed. i have never seen him scold congress like that before. not even for the debt ceiling.

No, i'll have to look that up.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited April 2013

can you post a link?

ETA: found it. http://www.upworthy.com/president-obama ... rica?c=cd1
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ---Rachel Maddow, Aug 2010
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892

And did you read about how he said that if she had run they would have exploited her problems with depression in order to discredit her? In 20 years, I have never voted for him but people around here will vote for him because he is a powerful man in the Senate and can "get things done" here in Kentucky. And now, we are contending with Rand Paul who is just as bad.

I cannot understand why supporting a background check is bad and how anyone can be against this. It does NOT infringe on your 2nd amendment right. When will MY right to safety trump your fucking gun?
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    Senator McConnell

Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on it. Kentucky's a pretty fully red state at this point. Even the celebrity UK basketball fan (a bigger "pro" argument in these parts than you'd think if you weren't from here) Ashley Judd would have had a hard time beating him. A generic democrat will probably just wilt away. I always figured McConnell's biggest threat in 2014 would come from getting "primaried" by a farther-right absolutist, but he's doing such a good job obstructing Obama that he'll probably survive.

Our other state senator is Rand Paul, who did "primary" McConnell's preferred establishment candidate in 2010, and it feels like he's not going anywhere (unless his inevitable run for president in 2016 keeps him from running for reelection). At this point, outside the three big metro areas (Louisville, Lexington, and the Cincinnati suburbs of Northern Kentucky), there's not much blue on the Kentucky map--and those cities are probably some of the more conservative-leaning urban hubs.

Implorements to "write your senator" always depress me--both of mine are such hard-liners, I feel like my opinions are just pissing into the wind.
  • Options

link?
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
  • Options
    Spoony C wrote:
    Senator McConnell

Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on it. Kentucky's a pretty fully red state at this point. Even the celebrity UK basketball fan (a bigger "pro" argument in these parts than you'd think if you weren't from here) Ashley Judd would have had a hard time beating him. A generic democrat will probably just wilt away. I always figured McConnell's biggest threat in 2014 would come from getting "primaried" by a farther-right absolutist, but he's doing such a good job obstructing Obama that he'll probably survive.

Our other state senator is Rand Paul, who did "primary" McConnell's preferred establishment candidate in 2010, and it feels like he's not going anywhere (unless his inevitable run for president in 2016 keeps him from running for reelection). At this point, outside the three big metro areas (Louisville, Lexington, and the Cincinnati suburbs of Northern Kentucky), there's not much blue on the Kentucky map--and those cities are probably some of the more conservative-leaning urban hubs.

Implorements to "write your senator" always depress me--both of mine are such hard-liners, I feel like my opinions are just pissing into the wind.

Sorry to hear ...
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    Jeanwah wrote:

can you post a link?

ETA: found it. http://www.upworthy.com/president-obama ... rica?c=cd1
    is that huge dude one of Obama's secret service? dude's massive...
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

hopefully he leaves soon

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

hopefully he leaves soon

I'm hoping something else happens that would make him retire , heart attack or stroke would suffice for my taste !!!

Chadwick that big dude is one of the Parents from Newtown hi's daughter was killed there ...
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Just sharing.
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/the-on ... ne:default

Also, loved that New Yorker piece, thanks for bringing it here.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:

hopefully he leaves soon

I'm hoping something else happens that would make him retire , heart attack or stroke would suffice for my taste !!!

Chadwick that big dude is one of the Parents from Newtown hi's daughter was killed there ...
    karma & the like find its way into all our lives. this politician & many are just stupid, evil & should leave as soon as humanly possible.

dude is huge. needs to work for Obama as a body guard or some shit.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    You guys read Gabby Gifford's editorial that came out last night?

Powerful stuff...

A Senate in the Gun Lobby’s Grip
    By GABRIELLE GIFFORDS
    Published: April 17, 2013

SENATORS say they fear the N.R.A. and the gun lobby. But I think that fear must be nothing compared to the fear the first graders in Sandy Hook Elementary School felt as their lives ended in a hail of bullets. The fear that those children who survived the massacre must feel every time they remember their teachers stacking them into closets and bathrooms, whispering that they loved them, so that love would be the last thing the students heard if the gunman found them.

On Wednesday, a minority of senators gave into fear and blocked common-sense legislation that would have made it harder for criminals and people with dangerous mental illnesses to get hold of deadly firearms — a bill that could prevent future tragedies like those in Newtown, Conn., Aurora, Colo., Blacksburg, Va., and too many communities to count.

Some of the senators who voted against the background-check amendments have met with grieving parents whose children were murdered at Sandy Hook, in Newtown. Some of the senators who voted no have also looked into my eyes as I talked about my experience being shot in the head at point-blank range in suburban Tucson two years ago, and expressed sympathy for the 18 other people shot besides me, 6 of whom died. These senators have heard from their constituents — who polls show overwhelmingly favored expanding background checks. And still these senators decided to do nothing. Shame on them.

I watch TV and read the papers like everyone else. We know what we’re going to hear: vague platitudes like “tough vote” and “complicated issue.” I was elected six times to represent southern Arizona, in the State Legislature and then in Congress. I know what a complicated issue is; I know what it feels like to take a tough vote. This was neither. These senators made their decision based on political fear and on cold calculations about the money of special interests like the National Rifle Association, which in the last election cycle spent around $25 million on contributions, lobbying and outside spending.

Speaking is physically difficult for me. But my feelings are clear: I’m furious. I will not rest until we have righted the wrong these senators have done, and until we have changed our laws so we can look parents in the face and say: We are trying to keep your children safe. We cannot allow the status quo — desperately protected by the gun lobby so that they can make more money by spreading fear and misinformation — to go on.

I am asking every reasonable American to help me tell the truth about the cowardice these senators demonstrated. I am asking for mothers to stop these lawmakers at the grocery store and tell them: You’ve lost my vote. I am asking activists to unsubscribe from these senators’ e-mail lists and to stop giving them money. I’m asking citizens to go to their offices and say: You’ve disappointed me, and there will be consequences.

People have told me that I’m courageous, but I have seen greater courage. Gabe Zimmerman, my friend and staff member in whose honor we dedicated a room in the United States Capitol this week, saw me shot in the head and saw the shooter turn his gunfire on others. Gabe ran toward me as I lay bleeding. Toward gunfire. And then the gunman shot him, and then Gabe died. His body lay on the pavement in front of the Safeway for hours.

I have thought a lot about why Gabe ran toward me when he could have run away. Service was part of his life, but it was also his job. The senators who voted against background checks for online and gun-show sales, and those who voted against checks to screen out would-be gun buyers with mental illness, failed to do their job.

They looked at these most benign and practical of solutions, offered by moderates from each party, and then they looked over their shoulder at the powerful, shadowy gun lobby — and brought shame on themselves and our government itself by choosing to do nothing.

They will try to hide their decision behind grand talk, behind willfully false accounts of what the bill might have done — trust me, I know how politicians talk when they want to distract you — but their decision was based on a misplaced sense of self-interest. I say misplaced, because to preserve their dignity and their legacy, they should have heeded the voices of their constituents. They should have honored the legacy of the thousands of victims of gun violence and their families, who have begged for action, not because it would bring their loved ones back, but so that others might be spared their agony.

This defeat is only the latest chapter of what I’ve always known would be a long, hard haul. Our democracy’s history is littered with names we neither remember nor celebrate — people who stood in the way of progress while protecting the powerful. On Wednesday, a number of senators voted to join that list.

Mark my words: if we cannot make our communities safer with the Congress we have now, we will use every means available to make sure we have a different Congress, one that puts communities’ interests ahead of the gun lobby’s. To do nothing while others are in danger is not the American way.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Some things can only be confronted with satire:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/b ... eople.html

Courageous Senators Stand Up to American People
    Posted by Andy Borowitz
    April 18, 2013

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In the halls of the United States Senate, dozens of Senators congratulated themselves today for having what one of them called “the courage and grit to stand up to the overwhelming wishes of the American people.”

“We kept hearing, again and again, that ninety per cent of the American people wanted us to vote a certain way,” said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky). “Well, at the end of the day, we decided that we weren’t going to cave in to that kind of special-interest group.”

“It was a gut check, for sure, but we had to draw a line in the sand,” agreed Senator Lindsey Graham (R-S. Carolina). “If we had voted the way the American people wanted us to, it would have sent the message that we’re here in Washington to be nothing more than their elected representatives.”

Calling yesterday’s Senate action “a bipartisan effort,” Senator Mark Pryor (D-Arkansas) said, “This proves that on a matter that affects the safety of every man, woman, and child in the nation, we can reach across the aisle to defy the interests of all of them.”

truly amazing

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    unsung wrote:
    But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ---Rachel Maddow, Aug 2010

This quote doesn't fit due to the fact that no one is taking your rights away.