Boston Marathon - explosion

Comments

• stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    and in other news:
    Blast in popular Baghdad coffee shop kills at least 27
    By Mohammed Tawfeeq and Greg Botelho, CNN
    updated 10:07 AM EDT, Fri April 19, 2013

Baghdad (CNN) -- A bomb exploded on Thursday night in a popular coffee shop in western Baghdad, killing at least 27 people and wounding 51 others, city police officials said.

The bomb was hidden in a plastic bag and then put in a cafe in the Iraqi capital's al-Amriya neighborhood, where it detonated around 10 p.m. (3 p.m. ET), according to police.

They estimated the device contained about two kilograms of highly explosive material.

The explosion ripped through the three-story building, which also includes an ice cream parlor on the first floor and medical offices on the second floor. The coffee shop was on the third floor.

Deadly wave of bombings across Iraq Most of those killed and hurt were young men, though four children were among the dead, police said.

Mostly Sunni Muslims live in the neighborhood, which is surrounded by walls except for one checkpoint staffed by Iraqi soldiers.

The violence follows a spate of attacks preceding the country's provincial elections, set for Saturday.

On Wednesday, three people died and 16 were wounded in four explosions in and around Baghdad, according to police.

There is concern that the security situation could affect the outcome of the vote, especially if Iraqis don't participate because of fears that polling stations may come under attack.

U.N. official Martin Kobler appealed Thursday for security forces to be on "heightened alert" so that citizens can vote "in a safe environment without fear of violence."

In the same statement, Kobler -- the special representative in Iraq for the U.N. secretary-general -- stressed that Iraqi leaders must "collectively endure a transparent and peaceful election, free of intimidation or political interference."

And he urged Iraqis to vote, casting it as their patriotic duty.

"I am calling on all women and men to cast their ballots for a better future for them and their children," Kobler said. "My appeal goes particularly to young Iraqis, because you are the future of this country."

What's your point?
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I'm not watching the news but as far as on here at least there doesn't
    seem to be a mess of misinformation coming are way ???
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    What a terrible story Rick...
    I keep imagining how sick a person would have to be (aside form being sick enough just to bomb anything) to do this kind of thing if they saw kids in the vicinity...

Will it get to a point that none of us go outside and/or congregate?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    stickfig13 wrote:
    What's your point?

I am not sure.

Maybe that this story is buried and not really news-worthy and that is a shame. Maybe that there probably won't be a massive manhunt to find who is responsible for it. Maybe because it's another example of how easy it is for some to do harm to others and I am having a hard time understanding that, understanding how people could do that.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    BREAKING NEWS:

Conn. police have located a 1999 Honda Civic sought in connection with Boston bombing. Developing.

MSN
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Newlyweds each lose leg in Boston Marathon attacks, donations pour in:

http://now.msn.com/patrick-and-jessica- ... n-bombings
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I am not sure.

Maybe that this story is buried and not really news-worthy and that is a shame. Maybe that there probably won't be a massive manhunt to find who is responsible for it. Maybe because it's another example of how easy it is for some to do harm to others and I am having a hard time understanding that, understanding how people could do that.

i was gonna post something that showed this is basically a normal occurrence in places the US are involved in ... but it's just too hard to have that conversation on here ...
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    BREAKING NEWS:

Conn. police have located a 1999 Honda Civic sought in connection with Boston bombing. Developing.

MSN

So much confusion... Mass State Troopers tweeted a while ago that they had the car and weren't looking for it. They recalled the BOLO.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • BREAKING NEWS:

MSN

So much confusion... Mass State Troopers tweeted a while ago that they had the car and weren't looking for it. They recalled the BOLO.

that was for the silver CRV i believe... they found that in Cambridge and were searching it.
    I just saw the BOLO for the civic too
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

rick1zoo2 wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:
    What's your point?

I am not sure.

It's easy to point out double standards, but given the context I think it's completely different. Iraq is a warzone. Boston isn't. Regardless of who's fault it is Iraq violence is on them at this point.

I think the whole situation will be used as a model for future attacks. Whether we like it or not the battle has come to us. It started with 9-11 and the Trade Center bombing before that. It's now on a whole different level
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    The father is in complete denial. He says the police framed them.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Poor man (assuming he knew nothing about it). Can you imagine? If he really hadn't a clue about this, one can hardly blame him for reacting like that at first. I'm sure he'll come to his senses once he's presented with evidence, even though it will be heartbreaking (if he doesn't, we might know more about where his kid got some of his ideas from I suppose).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/04/1 ... s-touched/

Look at this irresponsible shit. The picture isn't the kid's Dad. Trying to drum up fear
    stickfig13 wrote:

Look at this irresponsible shit. The picture isn't the kid's Dad. Trying to drum up fear
    :fp: :fp:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:

:fp: :fp:

Read the comments. Merica' circa 2001 type shit. One comment says something like "The have awoken (sic) the Eagle"................ :fp:
    This ad was a pop up on that Mr. Conservative website. :lol: At least they know their target audience. :lol:

has anything been reported about the mother? the only thing I read was that she immigrated to the US with her 4 children.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    i wonder if he is alone all those hours...or has help
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

i am wondering that too. such a massive manhunt and still haven't found him. could be hiding in bushes somewhere.

or an odd thought - I live 6 hours by car from Boston. so if he got out in a car, he could be far away, but you would think he would have been spotted by now.
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    stickfig13 wrote:

Read the mouth breathers comments on the bottom of the page. Wow.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

i am wondering that too. such a massive manhunt and still haven't found him. could be hiding in bushes somewhere.

or an odd thought - I live 6 hours by car from Boston. so if he got out in a car, he could be far away, but you would think he would have been spotted by now.
    He's got extended family in town it seems, so it's a possibility that he has some kind of help... although if anyone in his family in the US hasn't yet been accounted for, they are probably already suspects in aiding him.
  • stickfig13 wrote:

Read the mouth breathers comments on the bottom of the page. Wow.

jesus.
    and some people think the comments here on the boards are bad :shock: :lol:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

and something else that really bothers me,even im not American,i guess most of you guys notice it..
    what ever happens or its the truth,even they "framed them",i believe all the relatives of them should be fuckin respectful when they talk to media especially for the country that gave them a home,a job,food,even the freedom to speak in public just walking out of their door..especially when this country now is in shock and feel sad and angry after innocent people died ,and the suspect are those 2 relatives of them..
    atleast the uncle i saw said sorry and said to turn himself
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited April 2013
    and something else that really bothers me,even im not American,i guess most of you guys notice it..
    what ever happens or its the truth,even they "framed them",i believe all the relatives of them should be fuckin respectful when they talk to media especially for the country that gave them a home,a job,food,even the freedom to speak in public just walking out of their door..especially when this country now is in shock and feel sad and angry after innocent people died ,and the suspect are those 2 relatives of them..

I'm actually kind of shocked those people are speaking. I would have assumed the FBI would have those people under lock and key. Not to mention all the slack jaw Mericans members who want some Chechen blood....
    Post edited by stickfig13 on
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I want an Uncle Ruslan t-shirt.

Seriously though, this kid could be wounded somewhere in a house/building.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    NBC reporting the Older brother was strapped with explosives as he got out of the car, police shot him dead, and the younger brother then drove over him with the car in order to get away.
    unreal
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I want an Uncle Ruslan t-shirt.

Seriously though, this kid could be wounded somewhere in a house/building.

I would imagine the Police are taking their time so they don't stumble upon him and get themselves blown up
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Now this is cool as shit:

Anonymous ‏@CIApressoffice
    NYPD has arrived with grills and is cooking burgers for the #Boston police in #Watertown.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    stickfig13 wrote:

I'm actually kind of shocked those people are speaking. I would have assumed the FBI would have those people under lock and key. Not to mention all the slack jaw Mericans members who want some Chechen blood....
    im pretty sure Russia will not want usa to involve with Chechenya.
    and i agree,how not all the relatives arent in a room with 2-3 agents questioning them
    Now this is cool as shit:

Anonymous ‏@CIApressoffice
    NYPD has arrived with grills and is cooking burgers for the #Boston police in #Watertown.
    really cool..those policeman working unstop all this hours ,not to mention the danger they facing