deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

An Easter basket prize. :smiley:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    deadendp said:

Love that record.  I have the pink one too. It sounds great and is so original. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    deadendp said:

Love that record.  I have the pink one too. It sounds great and is so original. 
    Was supposed to see them at Homecoming with The National. My husband felt bad, so he grabbed this up for me. We didn't know it was pink until we opened it. Sounds fantastic. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,847

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,658
    The Gaslight Anthem-59 sound

I've been on a huge Gaslight and Fallon kick recently.  So good!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,881

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Now you're cooking with fire... that four record run by the Stones is unmatched. 
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Now you're cooking with fire... that four record run by the Stones is unmatched. 
    Great albums. Need to do some research on what’s considered the best pressings.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I gots that information if you need some.  I spent my first two years of collecting deep into those records. 
  • Options

• Options
    Original Analog or the Ludwig DSD...  they both sound very good,  but different. Mickey inspired me to spin them. 

• Options

• Options

1-2-3 REPEATER! 

(Sorry, had to.) 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I gots that information if you need some.  I spent my first two years of collecting deep into those records. 
    Yea, give me your thoughts.
  • Options

• Options
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

The Stones are fairly simple, IMO, for better or worse.  Your first problem with the original analogs will be finding one without surface noise, simply because of the age.  So I stopped getting hung up in the various conversations about "presswell" vs "Terra Haute" and what not.  After 50 years, that's the least of the problems.  I think the Stones basically have a fragile tape issue, so I'm not aware of any all analog modern remasters.  If there's one out there that you find out about, please let me know.

1. Beggars - I have a first and second US pressing (PS 539) and it's a nice listen.  They are from 68 and 69.  I listen to the second because it has no surface noise.  I can't really tell the difference in sound quality between the two.  I also have the 2013 ABCKO Clearly Vinyl reissue which is the same as the box set reissue, but clear color.  This is the Bob Ludwig DSD remaster.  It's very good and well received by the Stones freaks.  It's more lively and has better separation than the originals, IMO.  But it does feel a bit squished.  If you don't want to hunt through originals to find a clean copy with no noise, this is a perfectly good way to go.  The original Decca is mono.  I have not heard this, but I'm not really a mono seeker.  People like it though.  I had a London UK first at one point, but it was too noisy so I sold it.  

2. Let It Bleed - Same story as Beggars.  There's an original mono that is well received.  I have an original US stereo which is nice.  I think after that the quality will deteriorate through the 70's and 80's, etc.  You still get people talking about their Japanese OBI blah blah, but that's sort of noise to me. If you can find a clean original, give it a shot.  The same 2003 Bob Ludwig remaster from DSD also exists here, repressed in 2013 on clear vinyl.  I have this as well and tends to be my 'go to'.  BL did a really good job with these transfers and mixes.  

3. Sticky Fingers - this is a tough one because I don't think a great copy exists.  I have an original UK and US version.  They both sound 'fine'.  The zippers are intact so that's nice.  My US is a "RI" copy.  Neither have much depth although they feel analog.  They are both inferior to my better copies of LIB and Beggars.  The 2015 reissue is certainly from digital, but not DSD.  No credit is given to the mastering although Fremer assumed is was Marcussen who did it.  Fremer did a whole write up on Analog Planet.  He didn't shred it, but wasn't impressed.  I think it's fine as well.  I actually listen to it more than the originals because it's quieter than my two OGs.  None of them are great which is a damn shame.  

4. Exile - one of my top five favorite records of all time.  I currently have three of these but have had more.  Almost every time I see a used one in a store, I'll buy it to try to find a better copy, and then gift one away to someone.  I don't have a UK, but would love to find a clean one someday.  For whatever reason, I currently have two Richmond Press (RI) original 72's right now.  One is a unipak, one isn't.  I think they sound the same, both very good.  People say you want the artisan symbol in the deadwax on all four sides.  Abbey Road did a half speed reissue from digital a few years ago (Marcussen).  I have it.  It is panned as compressed.  Fremer was pretty tough on it too. I don't think it's terrible, but I definitely like the original better.  If you can find a clean one, any 1972 version with the artisan is probably a better choice.  But the remaster won't make you cringe.  

Sorry for the long ass post. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

The Stones are fairly simple, IMO, for better or worse.  Your first problem with the original analogs will be finding one without surface noise, simply because of the age.  So I stopped getting hung up in the various conversations about "presswell" vs "Terra Haute" and what not.  After 50 years, that's the least of the problems.  I think the Stones basically have a fragile tape issue, so I'm not aware of any all analog modern remasters.  If there's one out there that you find out about, please let me know.

1. Beggars - I have a first and second US pressing (PS 539) and it's a nice listen.  They are from 68 and 69.  I listen to the second because it has no surface noise.  I can't really tell the difference in sound quality between the two.  I also have the 2013 ABCKO Clearly Vinyl reissue which is the same as the box set reissue, but clear color.  This is the Bob Ludwig DSD remaster.  It's very good and well received by the Stones freaks.  It's more lively and has better separation than the originals, IMO.  But it does feel a bit squished.  If you don't want to hunt through originals to find a clean copy with no noise, this is a perfectly good way to go.  The original Decca is mono.  I have not heard this, but I'm not really a mono seeker.  People like it though.  I had a London UK first at one point, but it was too noisy so I sold it.  

2. Let It Bleed - Same story as Beggars.  There's an original mono that is well received.  I have an original US stereo which is nice.  I think after that the quality will deteriorate through the 70's and 80's, etc.  You still get people talking about their Japanese OBI blah blah, but that's sort of noise to me. If you can find a clean original, give it a shot.  The same 2003 Bob Ludwig remaster from DSD also exists here, repressed in 2013 on clear vinyl.  I have this as well and tends to be my 'go to'.  BL did a really good job with these transfers and mixes.  

3. Sticky Fingers - this is a tough one because I don't think a great copy exists.  I have an original UK and US version.  They both sound 'fine'.  The zippers are intact so that's nice.  My US is a "RI" copy.  Neither have much depth although they feel analog.  They are both inferior to my better copies of LIB and Beggars.  The 2015 reissue is certainly from digital, but not DSD.  No credit is given to the mastering although Fremer assumed is was Marcussen who did it.  Fremer did a whole write up on Analog Planet.  He didn't shred it, but wasn't impressed.  I think it's fine as well.  I actually listen to it more than the originals because it's quieter than my two OGs.  None of them are great which is a damn shame.  

4. Exile - one of my top five favorite records of all time.  I currently have three of these but have had more.  Almost every time I see a used one in a store, I'll buy it to try to find a better copy, and then gift one away to someone.  I don't have a UK, but would love to find a clean one someday.  For whatever reason, I currently have two Richmond Press (RI) original 72's right now.  One is a unipak, one isn't.  I think they sound the same, both very good.  People say you want the artisan symbol in the deadwax on all four sides.  Abbey Road did a half speed reissue from digital a few years ago (Marcussen).  I have it.  It is panned as compressed.  Fremer was pretty tough on it too. I don't think it's terrible, but I definitely like the original better.  If you can find a clean one, any 1972 version with the artisan is probably a better choice.  But the remaster won't make you cringe.  

Thanks  A LOT! Very nice breakdown. Will certainly look at those 2013 pressings. And your right in that finding originals is hard because of the surface noise that is inherit in an older pressing.
  • Options

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

great post brother.
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    MedozK said:

Is that the classic 'hot cut'?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:

Is that the classic 'hot cut'?
    Ha, no. I wish. I have never been able to find one in the wild, and just hate to drop a lot of coin on something I can't see the condition of.

I will eventually have one, it's on my short list of MUST HAVES.
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,658

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,847

• Options
    ikiT said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

great post brother.
    I picked up the 2019 50th anniversary 180g RE of Let it Bleed yesterday. It sounded pretty good to me