Options

***What's growing? The official garden thread***

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    It was a hot weekend, but I got a good bit done.  Tomatoes and some late cabbage transplanted, bush beans and summer squash planted.  Peas, onions, potatoes and spinach fully weeded, and chopped straw mulch laid on tomatoes, kohlrabi, cabbage, and peas.
    Just need to get the peppers transplanted when the heat breaks.  Then its time to get support up for the maters and bird netting up around the blueberries, plant winter squash and then yard-long pole beans.  After that its just trying to keep a handle on mowing and weeds...and harvesting of course. 
    I just planted my blueberries.  Should I cover them up?  Is there that much loss to birds?

Also do you make the cover holes big enough for bees to get through?
    Bird-X netting is what we have used in the past. Worked fine. 
    So I do need it though?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    It was a hot weekend, but I got a good bit done.  Tomatoes and some late cabbage transplanted, bush beans and summer squash planted.  Peas, onions, potatoes and spinach fully weeded, and chopped straw mulch laid on tomatoes, kohlrabi, cabbage, and peas.
    Just need to get the peppers transplanted when the heat breaks.  Then its time to get support up for the maters and bird netting up around the blueberries, plant winter squash and then yard-long pole beans.  After that its just trying to keep a handle on mowing and weeds...and harvesting of course. 
    I just planted my blueberries.  Should I cover them up?  Is there that much loss to birds?

So I do need it though?
    If you just planted them I'm guessing you won't get enough berries to bother.  If they are new young plants, its best to pinch the flowers off so the vegetative growth is increased for next year's production.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

So I do need it though?
    If you just planted them I'm guessing you won't get enough berries to bother.  If they are new young plants, its best to pinch the flowers off so the vegetative growth is increased for next year's production.

Ahhh got it.  Just like a mater plant.

Thanks
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

So I do need it though?

Thanks
    With tomatoes, I don't pinch off blooms. I do pinch off suckers, though. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

So I do need it though?

Thanks
    With tomatoes, I don't pinch off blooms. I do pinch off suckers, though. 
    Towards the end of the season I pinch off the flowers so the plant can focus on whats left on it and not waste energy on new flowers.  I crop the top too and it does the same thing.
  • Options
    Makes sense. 

Any tips on getting a bigger yield from my pepper plants? 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Makes sense. 

Any tips on getting a bigger yield from my pepper plants? 
    Top them when they get 6-8 true leaves so they set more branches, and a a foliar spray of epsom salts just before and after flowering.
  • Options

Lop that whole center part of 3-4 leaves out? Decapitate it? :fearful: Specific details so I don't kill them, please. 
  • Options
    No, don't lop anything yet, they are a bit young yet.  When they get another 2-3 inches they should be ready, then you take out the center growing tip, which is those tiny, often curled leaves in the middle.  YouTube can show you exactly when and what to pinch until you get a feel for it.  
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    No, don't lop anything yet, they are a bit young yet.  When they get another 2-3 inches they should be ready, then you take out the center growing tip, which is those tiny, often curled leaves in the middle.  YouTube can show you exactly when and what to pinch until you get a feel for it.  
    Gotcha. Thank you!
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,939
    My carrots netted. I also net berries. Birds will have the berries and carrot fly the carrots
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    these are my raspberries and strawberries uncovered until fruit appears. The one covered is a josta berry.  Goose/red current mix. Yet to see if its nice. Its fruiting now but they be bitter
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    @deadendp
    Have you grown the ground cherries before?  I've read they are unique and delicious and taste like custard or something.

I'm hoping to get everything all weedwhacked and cleaned up for a nice whole-garden photo soon...I never get everything presentable at once to get the photo lol
  • Options
    @rgambs
    Yes, we have. My daughter absolutely loves them. They grow with a lil paper husk on the outside like a tomatillo. I ended up with 9 plants and I told her that we can see how many we get, but perhaps there is a pie or some small jars of jam in our future. She is excited to see what we will get!

I place tomato cages around them to give them a lil support to keep from rambling all over. Baker Creek Seeds is where I buy Aunt Molly's Ground Cherries. 

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/ground-cherries/aunt-molly-s-ground-cherry
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    @rgambs
    Yes, we have. My daughter absolutely loves them. They grow with a lil paper husk on the outside like a tomatillo. I ended up with 9 plants and I told her that we can see how many we get, but perhaps there is a pie or some small jars of jam in our future. She is excited to see what we will get!

I place tomato cages around them to give them a lil support to keep from rambling all over. Baker Creek Seeds is where I buy Aunt Molly's Ground Cherries. 

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/ground-cherries/aunt-molly-s-ground-cherry
    I have just got to try these, I wonder if it's too late for this year...
    Are they too tomato-like for you?

• Options
    It is here where I admit that I have never actually tried one. K just says they are tomato-like and sweet. 

If you can get seeds, give it a go. Not too late. 
  • Options
    How many blueberry bushes do you have and how much do you usually get from them?
    I've had 10 for a few years, but this will be my first full harvest.  They got blasted by cicadas the year after I planted so I had to nurse them back to health and then last year I missed most of the harvest on a 3 week vacation.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    How many blueberry bushes do you have and how much do you usually get from them?
    I've had 10 for a few years, but this will be my first full harvest.  They got blasted by cicadas the year after I planted so I had to nurse them back to health and then last year I missed most of the harvest on a 3 week vacation.
    It is the year of the cicada too.  Maybe I should cover them this year?!?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    It is the year of the cicada too.  Maybe I should cover them this year?!?
    I would!  Mine got decimated and barely survived.
  • Options
    We did the 17 year cicada cycle here in 2016. In 1999, we lived within a few miles of the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area and my husband was an interpretive naturalist for CVNRA at that time. Those were loud! We were also there for the great gypsy moth infestation. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    We did the 17 year cicada cycle here in 2016. In 1999, we lived within a few miles of the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area and my husband was an interpretive naturalist for CVNRA at that time. Those were loud! We were also there for the great gypsy moth infestation. 
    The double-fault final-play elimination hasn't occurred since the Helsinki episode of 1919, and I think we all remember how THAT turned out!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    deadendp said:
    The double-fault final-play elimination hasn't occurred since the Helsinki episode of 1919, and I think we all remember how THAT turned out!
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Helsinki+Incident&=true
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,867
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    But was the Helsinki Incident as devastating as the Bowling Green Massacre?
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!  I love that you googled that, lol HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    But was the Helsinki Incident as devastating as the Bowling Green Massacre?
    F N A Cotton, F N A.
  • Options
    I hope someday Jason Bateman wins an Oscar, or Academy Award, or whatever the biggest acting accolade is, because he's awesome, and because then his role in Dodgeball will be an American Treasure all the more lol
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I am told that this is kale and that I will eating it for supper later. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Thats the good stuff right  there
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

• Options
    Beautiful!