***What's growing? The official garden thread***

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I haven't been trying too hard to harden.  I sunburnt them a bit 2 weeks ago and I've been letting them recover.  I don't get too eager to plant, it's just too much trouble to try too early.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,711
    I lost lots to frost 2 days ago
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I lost lots to frost 2 days ago
    Sorry to hear that, I've been there.  Just have to buy new starts and start again!  
    I quit trying to plant early after 2 bad springs.  In my experience, it doesn't give you much of a head start anyways.  Some years you might get fruit a week or maybe 2 weeks earlier, but for me, that doesn't outweigh the risk of replanting.
    Truth right  there
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Despite being kept in the car (the other plants were fine) the basil didn't take too kindly to the cold weather. It'll pull through. They are out now and hardening off okay. 

Sorry to hear about the frost damage, Rob. That sucks. Been there. Lost a 4 year old  tulip tree one year due to a late May hard frost.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1

Plant delivery day tomorrow. I have 14 stops, including one with 54 plants going to the I PROMISE School pantry garden.

https://www.akroncantonfoodbank.org/news/foodbank/press-releases/foodbank-partners-i-promise-school-offer-food-pantry-school-families
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    deadendp said:

Plant delivery day tomorrow. I have 14 stops, including one with 54 plants going to the I PROMISE School pantry garden.

https://www.akroncantonfoodbank.org/news/foodbank/press-releases/foodbank-partners-i-promise-school-offer-food-pantry-school-families
    Very nice!
    Bee  incoming
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Photos wrong way round. But you get the picture. I caught it incoming  onto my alium 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

This poppy is amazing . I will show you in a week or so but it only lasts a few  days but has so many  heads. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Awesome stuff! Fun that you got the incoming bee. 

I have never grown garlic. 

The allium are beautiful! So is the poppy. I have seeded them but they never came up. 

I am planting the rest of what needs to go in this weekend. Squash, peppers and ground cherries. A friend gave me some extra marigolds she had. Of course, there is still weeding and a bit more transplanting.  
    Im going to be planting out in the next 2 weeks. My stuff from seed is still a bit small. Garlic is so easy. And smells so good drying in the shed.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

My husband was trying to record the spider on the hammock. (He's a park naturalist. It's a work thing.)

Bless him, he was trying to scoot it along. 

And for @lastexitlondon , a Mountain Cornflower with an incoming critter. :smile:

Since it was 92 F, I didn't quite get the amount of gardening done today that I wanted, but I put a good dent into it. Weeded a bit. Moved a couple of cup flowers (they grow 6'+ tall) to the fence line and planted 9 Ground Cherry plants, a small row of corn, 3 yellow squash and a bunch of green beans. The back bed is done. 

Tomorrow will be 6 pepper plants (3 different varieties), lots of butternut squash, more corn and more beans. And...more weeding. 
    Cornflowers are one of the  greatest colours.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

This is rosie . She "helped" me plant out some toms and lettuce.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Hi, Rosie! My daughter "me help" a lot when she was Rosie's age. What is she holding? 

What's growing in that garden? 
    She has the rose off of the  watering  can on a  cane . She is like a hurricane going through every single thing  and back again
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I don’t know what’s growing (I killed a cactus), but word is we might eat some of it tonight. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Peyote?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

It was snowing a few weeks ago. Been gardening all day. Hotter than hell. 
    Peyote?
    I never lived in the right area at the right time. I grew up in shroom country. 

But peyote is one of the last things I want to try before I die. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    The one we’re having tonight is Swiss chard. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853

Does nobody see the bee?

Awesome pics Rob!!!

Carpenter bees are my primary blueberry pollinators.
    rgambs said:

Carpenter bees are my primary blueberry pollinators.
    They tear shit up though.  .38 caliber holes everywhere lol!
    It was a hot weekend, but I got a good bit done.  Tomatoes and some late cabbage transplanted, bush beans and summer squash planted.  Peas, onions, potatoes and spinach fully weeded, and chopped straw mulch laid on tomatoes, kohlrabi, cabbage, and peas.
    Just need to get the peppers transplanted when the heat breaks.  Then its time to get support up for the maters and bird netting up around the blueberries, plant winter squash and then yard-long pole beans.  After that its just trying to keep a handle on mowing and weeds...and harvesting of course. 
    rgambs said:
    It was a hot weekend, but I got a good bit done.  Tomatoes and some late cabbage transplanted, bush beans and summer squash planted.  Peas, onions, potatoes and spinach fully weeded, and chopped straw mulch laid on tomatoes, kohlrabi, cabbage, and peas.
    Just need to get the peppers transplanted when the heat breaks.  Then its time to get support up for the maters and bird netting up around the blueberries, plant winter squash and then yard-long pole beans.  After that its just trying to keep a handle on mowing and weeds...and harvesting of course. 
    I just planted my blueberries.  Should I cover them up?  Is there that much loss to birds?

Also do you make the cover holes big enough for bees to get through?
    rgambs said:
    I just planted my blueberries.  Should I cover them up?  Is there that much loss to birds?

Also do you make the cover holes big enough for bees to get through?
    Bird-X netting is what we have used in the past. Worked fine.