Options

***What's growing? The official garden thread***

Comments

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,960
    still a frost risk so found these belle cloches in my friends  shed he no longer needs. Perfect for my brasaicas  and as a covid protector. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Nice cloches!  We are still quite frosty around these parts as well, it got to heavy frost last night and I haven't checked on my snap peas, spinach, kohlrabi, and and beet sprouts out there...fingers crossed, they are all still pretty tender so I hope they weathered...no too late to replant, but I'd rather not, obviously.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Transplanted some lavender a few weeks ago into the earth from a neglected potted plant from the winter. I think it loves it's new freedom. The tips are turning bright purple and it smells amazing...
    Beautiful!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    My peppers love the window.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    still a frost risk so found these belle cloches in my friends  shed he no longer needs. Perfect for my brasaicas  and as a covid protector. 
    Ha ha, great for many different uses! I love your garden. Have you cooked or baked much with the lavender you have? I've used it in the past for tea and aromatherapy but haven't ventured much farther with it than that. 
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    deadendp said:
    Transplanted some lavender a few weeks ago into the earth from a neglected potted plant from the winter. I think it loves it's new freedom. The tips are turning bright purple and it smells amazing...
    Beautiful!
    Thanks, I've been enjoying it!
  • Options
    My peppers love the window.
    Yes they do. Did you start those from seed, too? 
  • Options
    Yes all from  seed its my most  rewarding part. But part  of me dies when a frost or a slug ruins everything. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Yes all from  seed its my most  rewarding part. But part  of me dies when a frost or a slug ruins everything. 
    I've lost 40 "teenage" pepper plants transplanted into the garden to a single deer before lol  an entire years pepper crop, gone.
    That was hard, I dry enough cayennes to have hot pepper flakes for 2 years now, just in case lol
  • Options
    The most rewarding part for me is the point when the kitchen table is lost under produce and I have to shift into preservation mode.
  • Options
    Poke weed, Rose of Sharon and Lily of Valley. Can I tell you how much this shit spreads and never goes away? 

I have been on project bed clearing. I didn't realize how much the beds needed a giant overhaul until I got out there and was really taking it all in. 

My husband dealt with the LoV 2 years ago. Clearly, no matter how much of that deep thatch was removed, this year they decided to come back. Today he spent hours dealing with it again. 

Having the goal not to purchase anything this year (other than an $8 bag of soil) I spent the day weeding and moving plants around. We had the wheel barrow out for the plants that got pulled up when the LoV and Poke weed were removed.

Started hardening my seedlings off. They are in my vehicle overnight. It's how it's going to go this week. Still a lil too cold overnight to keep them happy. 

Didn't take pictures because I was busy doing stuff, but the picture of my lil plants is from a few days ago. Soon. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Poke weed, Rose of Sharon and Lily of Valley. Can I tell you how much this shit spreads and never goes away? 

I have been on project bed clearing. I didn't realize how much the beds needed a giant overhaul until I got out there and was really taking it all in. 

My husband dealt with the LoV 2 years ago. Clearly, no matter how much of that deep thatch was removed, this year they decided to come back. Today he spent hours dealing with it again. 

Having the goal not to purchase anything this year (other than an $8 bag of soil) I spent the day weeding and moving plants around. We had the wheel barrow out for the plants that got pulled up when the LoV and Poke weed were removed.

Started hardening my seedlings off. They are in my vehicle overnight. It's how it's going to go this week. Still a lil too cold overnight to keep them happy. 

Didn't take pictures because I was busy doing stuff, but the picture of my lil plants is from a few days ago. Soon. 
    Those poke weed taproots go so deep, and they always come back.  Pain in the ass...

I don't want to be pedantic or anything, but do you mean multiflora rose and bindweed?  I know those two are both tenacious Invaders here in Ohio, and I haven't heard of Rose of Sharon or Lily of the Valley being a problem around here.
    I know that Rose of Sharon is a hybiscus-type shrub and it doesn't have thorns.  
    Is the Lily a twisty vine with big open flowers or an upright habit with broad leaves and little drooping bell flowers?
  • Options
    Nope. I mean Rose of Sharon and Lily of the Valley. I have neighbors call all sorts of things names that they aren't, so I get the question. 

We're in southern Summit Co, if that helps. 

Rose of Sharon is typically grown kind of like a hedgerow at a friend's house, but I trimmed mine like small trees. They produce a ton of seeds and apparently those seeds really love my yard. Of the one we planted, we have a few "controlled trees" but behind the shed they have found a lovely home. I might add that a few are bird gifts. 

Now for the Lily of the Valley. Yup. Lil dudes maybe 6-8" high with the small white bell drop flowers. Someone gave me 3 plants probably 13 years ago. Initially, they were lovely. Unfortunately, they have multiplied, matted their roots together and choke things out. 

Poke weed is native and apparently loves our flower bed. M said the root he pulled was about the diameter of a large salad plate. I tried to get it out myself and I just couldn't. 
  • Options
    Sweet, glad you know what you are talking about!  Your urban Invaders are different than my rural ones lol 

In the garden I have the most trouble with creeping Charlie, bull thistle (another tenacious taprooter) and plain old crabgrass.
  • Options
    Gill-over-the-ground (your Creeping Charlie) and crabgrass are also a pain in my ass. The crabgrass I pulled had roots several feet long.

I had thistle once. We let it go for the birds. Never had it come back. I should probably be thankful. 

What about cleavers? Good god, I have been invaded in the past. Pulled some yesterday. When it gets big, it grabs hold like velcro and turns my arms into a rashy looking mess. 

• Options
    I had the  joy of getting a new(to me) shed on my plot yesterday. With lockdown i never thought it possible. But my son came and we invented a method to move it and now i can begin work to burn my old one and equip my new one. So great to see my son we both  been in our respective houses for over 6 weeks. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    I had the  joy of getting a new(to me) shed on my plot yesterday. With lockdown i never thought it possible. But my son came and we invented a method to move it and now i can begin work to burn my old one and equip my new one. So great to see my son we both  been in our respective houses for over 6 weeks. 
    That's great news! I would love to have a shed near my garden, it's far enough from my garage that I leave tools in the garden too often and the weather ages them horribly.
  • Options
     I have the  opposite  problem.  My garden is 2 miles from my flat . I wish i had a garden. Much easier  to keep on top of. But in these times i am so grateful for the space and air anywhere  i can find it . 
    Im there  for the  day today. A fire and  some tidying.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Interesting!  So do you have a little plot there and others tend other plots, or is everything in the background yours too?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited May 2020
    Ugh, I’ve been MIA, but love reading through all of the gardening talk!  All of my seeds are starting to sprout.  If the hail doesn’t kill it, then I’ll be covering the table with all kinds of veggies in a month or so.  I love this time of year!  I was sitting in the garden yesterday evening watching the birds and whatnot visit, and was at such peace.  Good place to meditate!
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Rob!

I am so excited for you! Didn't realize that your garden was a haul down the road, but the fresh air is most definitely welcome. I still have cloche envy, especially since I will be doing dances with sheets this week. It is supposed to get down to 30F and there have been whispers about snow. Most perennials are up, but I found that the butterfly bushes, painter's palette and lemon balm are a bit tender for such conditions. It might make the peonies angry, too. So, bedsheets will be strewn throughout the yard. It just gives the neighbors something to talk about. :lol:

Gambs, 

I don't know that this would be helpful, but I have seen where people will put a mail box out on the edge of the garden for the tools you use most. You garden much larger scale than Rob and me, so it might not work, but just a suggestion. 

As for us, our property is 40' x 120' with a shed in the back, so distance is definitely not a problem. Kind of wish it was, but we're happy with what we have. 

Bonfires of my youth aren't legal here in the city limits, but my husband worked on the picnic/fire pit area we have. We suspect that it is going to get a lot of use this year.
    PJPOWER said:
    Ugh, I’ve been MIA, but love reading through all of the gardening talk!  All of my seeds are starting to sprout.  If the hail doesn’t kill it, then I’ll be covering the table with all kinds of veggies in a month or so.  I love this time of year!  I was sitting in the garden yesterday evening watching the birds and whatnot visit, and was at such peace.  Good place to meditate!
    What do you grow? 

The hail beat the shit out of my corn last year. :frowning:
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • Options
    In uk its called an allotment. Its a place of sectioned space we rent for a very small fee. Like £20 a year.  Its a gated and  locked  space. Its a perfect size for my needs and as i live in a flat its like a heaven to me. I used  to get stoned and drift away there  . Now im sober and weed free i just try and not think  about the past whilst there  but i do miss being stoned  there  and drifting away.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    thats my plot.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Loving that you have a spot of happiness! 

We have community gardens here, but the garden spot is significantly smaller and while I believe you can fence it with something 3' or so, I have heard from people that folks take their produce. It could be the homeless or just people taking advantage. Who knows?
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    thats my plot.
    Nice!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    deadendp said:
    Rob!

I am so excited for you! Didn't realize that your garden was a haul down the road, but the fresh air is most definitely welcome. I still have cloche envy, especially since I will be doing dances with sheets this week. It is supposed to get down to 30F and there have been whispers about snow. Most perennials are up, but I found that the butterfly bushes, painter's palette and lemon balm are a bit tender for such conditions. It might make the peonies angry, too. So, bedsheets will be strewn throughout the yard. It just gives the neighbors something to talk about. :lol:

Gambs, 

I don't know that this would be helpful, but I have seen where people will put a mail box out on the edge of the garden for the tools you use most. You garden much larger scale than Rob and me, so it might not work, but just a suggestion. 

As for us, our property is 40' x 120' with a shed in the back, so distance is definitely not a problem. Kind of wish it was, but we're happy with what we have. 

Bonfires of my youth aren't legal here in the city limits, but my husband worked on the picnic/fire pit area we have. We suspect that it is going to get a lot of use this year.
    PJPOWER said:
    What do you grow? 

The hail beat the shit out of my corn last year. :frowning:
    A little bit of everything....spinach, corn, okra, cantaloupes, watermelons, squash (zuc and yellow), cucumbers, asparagus, snow peas, tomatoes, strawberries, mammoth sunflowers, jalapeños, bell peppers.  I believe that’s all I have coming up right now.  I try to plant winter crops too, but not always.  
    Not to jinx myself, but I’ve always missed the major hail.  My brother’s gets hailed out every year almost!  He must just not be living right, ha
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options

20 minutes after this flew over...

... a hail storm came through. Flattened all of my milkweed and tore the hook off of the house that I had morning glories trailing from. Apparently I did not take a picture of the corn though. 

(We live near a lil airport. They were having an air show that weekend.)
  • Options
    deadendp said:

20 minutes after this flew over...

... a hail storm came through. Flattened all of my milkweed and tore the hook off of the house that I had morning glories trailing from. Apparently I did not take a picture of the corn though. 

(We live near a lil airport. They were having an air show that weekend.)
    No good, but cool pic of the plane!
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Drying out the sheets after frost advisory night one. Some lil asshole pooped on one. 

I transplanted a number of perennials and some are rather frost tender. 

My lil veggie plants sustained some wind damage yesterday, so I moved them. They are sunbathing for a bit. They'll be okay. They have been overnighting at the Forester Inn by Subaru. :smiley:
  • Options
    I was finally able to leave the plant trays out overnight last night. No frost! No snow! :triumph: Early next week, I'll be able to go on deliveries and drop these babies off to their final destinations. This year, hardening plants off has been a pain.