How do you think Avocado has aged?

13»

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 10,524
    Avacado is my favorite album of the post-yield era. I remember lyrics about as well as Eddie, but I really do like the songs on the album.

Especially gone and life wasted which remind me of things that have absolutely nothing to do with the song. I'd finished university and couldn't find work in my hometown, so I spent about a year and a bit working a near min. wage crappy job at a produce warehouse. I finally decided to move to pursue better employment opportunities.

Those were the songs blasting from car stereo after my last day at the Produce Warehouse :) I hated that place. It was the worst job I ever had, with the worse hours, and I was willing to move to Edmonton to get away from it.. haha.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,197
    I never associate Hate with PJ ...

I like Avocado not my fav and either is BS but still some great songs on both of e'm ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • releaseNYreleaseNY Posts: 153
    i love the avocado. it's the album i listen to more than any other.

i do skip unemployable, and like to listen to the first line of big wave (because it makes me laugh every time), then skip the rest of it.

and honestly, i really don't like inside job (but then, i think "you are" is the worst song ever, so no one pays all that much attention to my opinions, anyway :lol: )
    you paid to get in, you're free to leave.
  • TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    cp3iverson wrote:
    far and away my least favorite but to each their own.

totally agree here
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    Patchy record but at times as good as it gets
  • YLed2YLed2 Posts: 5,534
    Usually hanging in the cellar along with BS. My 2 cents.

Although Come Back does make my top 10.

Still hanging in the cellar.....
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    I never associate Hate with PJ ...

I like Avocado not my fav and either is BS but still some great songs on both of e'm ....

Yes, this.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,478
    Apart from Come Back (which I always skip) I love the ST record. Maybe it's because it will always remind me of the Astoria show but I've always felt it's a really strong album and I still listen to it all the time.

Whenever someone posts a "rank the albums" thread, ST is usually in the middle spot for me - not as good as Yield, Riot Act, Vitalogy or Ten but as good as No Code and better than Vs, Binaural and BS.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    I love the album a lot, but I wish they'd stop performing Life Wasted/Reprise for a good long time. They play it way too much. I'd love to hear a bootleg where they DON'T play those songs, which I think is the worst on the album. I do like the lyrics, but I think the song is boring.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • F5F5 Posts: 791
    I will never understand how PJ fans can bash on this album. Can I make that anymore clear? NEVER. I absolutely LOVED it from the first spin. I admit it's different, but for me was a much needed revival after Riot Act. While Riot Act has it's moments, I felt it was a very mediocre effort from an incredibly talented band that at that point, seemed washed up. This album showed me that my favorite band still had it and that I was fool for thinking the best days were behind them.
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Seattle - 9/21/09, 9/22/09
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Alpine Valley 9/03/11, 9/04/11
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
    F5 wrote:
    I will never understand how PJ fans can bash on this album. Can I make that anymore clear? NEVER. I absolutely LOVED it from the first spin. I admit it's different, but for me was a much needed revival after Riot Act. While Riot Act has it's moments, I felt it was a very mediocre effort from an incredibly talented band that at that point, seemed washed up. This album showed me that my favorite band still had it and that I was fool for thinking the best days were behind them.
    I love Riot Act! I can't understand how people don't like that album! Or ST. They are both great imo. :) although Bu$hleaguer is only good live.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    dwhite76 wrote:
    The Best work the band has EVER done !!!!

Im not saying its far and away the best but its tops in my book. Seems like they poured a bunch of heart and soul into it. I just wish they didnt do the video for Life Wasted. I dont like the video at all. It seems to have cheapen the feel of the song.

I think this guy hit it right on the nose :D
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Posts: 8,639
    unfortunately since their buddy Obama is in office they don't play 2 of the best songs off the album Army Reserve and Marker In The Sand, the only thing I am really disappointed in the band is being hypocritical and not playing the anti war stuff even though there are still troops dying, just because it is somebody they helped elect in office

:fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    unfortunately since their buddy Obama is in office they don't play 2 of the best songs off the album Army Reserve and Marker In The Sand, the only thing I am really disappointed in the band is being hypocritical and not playing the anti war stuff even though there are still troops dying, just because it is somebody they helped elect in office

:fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:

When I was in Albuquerque for the Vedder show on election night and Eddie found out his side won, he seemed in such a great mood. Even after the show he hung out with the crowd a bit longer than usual and he had a glow to him. Kinda like "WOW this is what the winning side feels like." :lol:

I dont care how political or specific to a time a song is. If its Great like Army Reserve,Marker In The Sand, and from another album Bushleaguer just play it. I love to hear all the great songs anytime.
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    From track 9 to the end this is up there with the best work they have ever done.....

Just my two pennies :D
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • CJPJCJPJ Posts: 31
    I actually listened to this album a few times last week for this first time in a year or more. I actually enjoy it more now than i did when it was released. For me each album has special meaning based on what was going on in my life, the world etc. and when you hear them years later it just takes me back. I think it's a great album front to back. My Dad passed away from cancer in 2005 with little warning at age 58. A year later when this album came out I was still struggling with the loss. Comeback helped me heal and has a lot of special meaning for me. My Dad was also a PJ fan and I know he would have enjoyed this album. Just another example of this band getting into my head. It's special and gives me goosebumps every time which is what I love most about them.
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    CJPJ wrote:
    I actually listened to this album a few times last week for this first time in a year or more. I actually enjoy it more now than i did when it was released. For me each album has special meaning based on what was going on in my life, the world etc. and when you hear them years later it just takes me back. I think it's a great album front to back. My Dad passed away from cancer in 2005 with little warning at age 58. A year later when this album came out I was still struggling with the loss. Comeback helped me heal and has a lot of special meaning for me. My Dad was also a PJ fan and I know he would have enjoyed this album. Just another example of this band getting into my head. It's special and gives me goosebumps every time which is what I love most about them.

My Dad died a couple years before yours and I still can't listen to Comeback without weeping. This is one of my favorite PJ albums and it still holds up well for me. Severed Hand is one of my all time favorite PJ songs and I love Life Wasted, WWS, Marker and Parachutes as well.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • F5F5 Posts: 791
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    F5 wrote:
    I love Riot Act! I can't understand how people don't like that album! Or ST. They are both great imo. :) although Bu$hleaguer is only good live.
    My intention wasn't to come down on Riot Act. That was just my personal subjective experience with it. Doesn't mean I don't like it though. However, I feel it's the only album I have to skip multiple songs. Not a big fan of the following songs: Help Help, Cropduster, Green Disease, Bushleage, Ghost, 1/2 full.
    Bridge - 10/25/03
    Mansfield I - 6/28/08
    Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
    Seattle - 9/21/09, 9/22/09
    Salt Lake City 9/28/09
    LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
    San Diego 10/9/09
    Alpine Valley 9/03/11, 9/04/11
    Ashbury Park 9/18/21
    LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
    Phoenix 05/09/22
    NYC 9/11/22
    Denver 9/22/22
    F5 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    F5 wrote:
    My intention wasn't to come down on Riot Act. That was just my personal subjective experience with it. Doesn't mean I don't like it though. However, I feel it's the only album I have to skip multiple songs. Not a big fan of the following songs: Help Help, Cropduster, Green Disease, Bushleage, Ghost, 1/2 full.
    :shock:
    To each their own. :)
  • U_it'sUUUU_it'sUUU Posts: 75
    F5 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    F5 wrote:

I just hit the F5 key to follow the update and read your post and I must say, you have a greatly inspired username there! I really like it!
    But I love Riot Act. Actually I'm going to search for the Riot Act thread now.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    My 2 cents if I may:

This album is brilliant. Amazing. One of the only albums better heard on the release than live

Starts off at a blistering pace with Life Wasted.

WWS still hits home to me seeing first hand what these wars are doing to our brave and their families.

Comatose only continues what Life Wasted started and then goes right into Severed Hand by at which point, I am through the roof and full of adrenaline

Marker In The Sand is still ever present with what's going on in Afghanistan and Operation Enduring Freedom. Our country sadly has become numb to the fact we are still at war. We lost 7 last week and you barely read about it anywhere. The Pope gets a full section of his own in the USA Today but 7 Americans lost and their families for ever hurt by it and barely a blimp in the news.

Parachutes: I wish this song was a holiday single or bside. Kills the energy of the first 5 songs. Worse, when they play it live, it kills the momentum of a show. They are allowed to have that 1 song on an album though!

Unemployable: Was great commentary on the sign of the times back when the economy was just about to hit the bottom. Not a fan the entire song but I get it and lyrically, it felt like me a few years ago wide awake at night worrying about being able to shoulder my family's status always working for someone else.

Big Wave: Doesn't fit the first 5 songs or so but another good song where EV brings nature into our thought process. Always fun to sing this song in the car with my kids.

Gone: Again, a commentary on what was going on with the middle and lower class in America. Love the demo and this song will stand the tests of time for most Americans.

Wasted Reprise: Classy!!

Army Reserve: Haunting. Chilling. Sad. Love it. Again, wake up America and realize what our brave men and women are doing so you don't have to, so your kids don't have to, and so sons and daughters of politicians don't have to...

Come Back: not a fan but I wont be negative

Inside Job: Mike's masterpiece. A dream song. Amazingly spiritual. Musically and lyrically. Thank you MIKE!!

-EV

I was about to write my own interpretation but this pretty much sums it up for me. The statements made in these songs don't feel irrelevant to me now just bc of the simple passage of time. People are still suffering and I'm still pissed about it. WWS, Severed Hand, marker in the sand, unemployable, and comatose are all regular running songs for me bc they all rev me up either through the tempo/music or through lyrics/emotions. Whatever it is I run faster listening to these :D

I think parachutes is beautiful for the melody and lovely phrasing and how the lyrics were applied to that phrasing (make sense?). Clearly the work of a fantastic song writer.

Come back will also always be among my favorites.

I love inside job so much that I think it deserves to be up there with the best ever pj songs

I have no explanation why this album comes so low on my list of most to least played. (I think it was second to last :?)
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
  • otterotter Posts: 760
    Put it on last night (iPod since i don't have it on vinyl...yet) It rocked, was great, and aged like a fine wine. World Wide Suicide is low on my concert song list but last night I loved it!

just my two pennies :)
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • foodboy wrote:
    don't agree with you people . this album to me is a classic. just because it is not ten doesn't mean it is bad. all their albums so far are great. i have said before that i don't know of any other bands with this much quality material. even if it is not your favorite album you can still listen to any of their albums from side to side, even if you don't like all the songs. these guys will stand the test of time. i thought that album was at their peak. that was the last great tour in my opinion vocally. just saying
    My thoughts exactly. Thanks!
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • I love inside job so much that I think it deserves to be up there with the best ever pj songs
    Inside Job...absolutely, give me chills every time I hear it. Great version on Boston II 2006.
    Posimists. Fuck the pessimists...fuck'em.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    dwhite76 wrote:
    Life Wasted 5/10
    World Wide Suicide 4/10
    Comatose 4/10
    Severed Hand 6/10
    Marker In The Sand 7/10
    Parachutes 6/10
    Unemployable 3/10
    Big Wave 3/10
    Gone 6/10
    Wasted Reprise 1/10
    Army Reserve 3/10
    Come Back 8/10
    Inside Job 8/10

There is not a weak song on this album. NOT ONE!

If you dont like this album, You need to relisten and read the lyrics while your doing it. Parachutes may be the weakest song but its a cleverly written love song.
    My ratings above.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,773
    A masterwork! Highlight of the album: Big Wave! :hang_loose:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024