How do you think Avocado has aged?

evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
edited March 2013 in The Porch
I was listening to Avocado/Self Titled today and must I had to cringe at some of the lyrics. It seems like a concept album about the Iraq War more than a PJ album. Just my two cents. :-) How do you feel about this album seven years on?
I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
-Christopher Walken

you're=you are
your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
-Stephen Colbert
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    far and away my least favorite but to each their own.
  • moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    Better than Backspacer...but maybe I will be saying that when the new album comes out...hope not...and it may be that I have not given Backspacer much attention as the others.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Army reserve is pretty bad.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    don't agree with you people . this album to me is a classic. just because it is not ten doesn't mean it is bad. all their albums so far are great. i have said before that i don't know of any other bands with this much quality material. even if it is not your favorite album you can still listen to any of their albums from side to side, even if you don't like all the songs. these guys will stand the test of time. i thought that album was at their peak. that was the last great tour in my opinion vocally. just saying
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    Great protest record. Holds up just fine IMO.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    I'm not a big fan. Life Wasted is a classic, but not much else. The album is ok, but in my mind it doesn't hold up well as a whole.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • cmm6734cmm6734 Posts: 569
    I actually have revisited this album recently and I love it more than when it first came out. I used to cringe at Parachutes (not anymore). Life Wasted is amazing. I actually like Army Reserve, it was a stand-out song for me when the album first came out.
    40+ shows, it is never enough!
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    My favorite.
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    edited March 2013
    Wow, pretty amazing to see this thread because I was on a long car ride today, put in S/T which I haven't listened to in years and had some similar thoughts. Although, I don't think that it's aged badly necessarily. I respect the lyrics for what they were at the time and it was important to express that in popular music (as it still is, in fact). Lyrics like "four dead in Ohio" can act as an opportunity to reflect, learn and teach years after they were sung by Young Neil and I don't see why Pearl Jam lyrics can't be viewed the same.

I followed my listen of S/T with Backspacer, an album which I pretty much hate, and after listening all the way through, I decided that topical and political lyrics no matter how dated will almost always outshine nonsensical, clumsy and vacuous lyrics of any kind.

And another thing to remember is that these lyrics only "feel" dated but in actuality they shouldn't. We are still at war. Sadly, I believe we will always be at war from this point on and while we are losing soldiers at a slower rate than in years past, our government is killing people both guilty and innocent in our name around the world every day.

Unfortunately, it seems now that the band has their guy in office they've gone soft politically. I think that's a terrible mistake on their part both socially and musically. There is just as much to be angry about or contemplative about now as there was in 2006. Just my two cents.
    Post edited by october22 on
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    foodboy wrote:
    don't agree with you people . this album to me is a classic. just because it is not ten doesn't mean it is bad. all their albums so far are great. i have said before that i don't know of any other bands with this much quality material. even if it is not your favorite album you can still listen to any of their albums from side to side, even if you don't like all the songs. these guys will stand the test of time. i thought that album was at their peak. that was the last great tour in my opinion vocally. just saying

And who mentioned Ten in this thread (apart from you)?
    Anyway, always thought Self-Titled is really an average album.. I was pretty disappointed at the time, because from Ten to Riot Act to me they never failed.. their first seven studio albums are masterpieces in my eyes, not a single bad song (and I know I probably am the only one who think so).. but that Avocado broke the perfection, unfortunately.. Backspacer a little better, but still I hope the next record will not have nothing to do with its two predecessors :D
    That been said, the 06 tour is the greates tour they ever did.. amazing setlists, long powerful shows, eddie's voice at its peak.. even the avocado songs live were better..
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Never liked the album. But I love all of the songs live. Only album I feel like that about.
  • PU38569PU38569 Posts: 260
    I heard the next album takes the phoning it in approach a step further and it's just Ed on the beach drumming on his surfboard while his accountant reads off the latest merchandise sales figures.

And the tour posters and t-shirts have already all sold out online, and the official bootlegs, which is weird, because no shows have actually occurred yet.

What's the ecological footprint on 37 tons of redundant physical objects with a band's name printed on it?

No time for that, gotta start hitting refresh for the exclusive PJ doorstop collection pre-sale.

I really have problems with doors not staying open in my house.

Punk rock dude

:?
    This is a birthday pony
  • KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    It took more than a few listens to "get" the ST album. There is definitely something special in each song, but every song is not great. That's realistic for any album, though. I like the fact that Mike got his song on there (easily my favorite on the whole album), and "Severed Hand" doesn't leave me empty. I imagine, too, that the extreme loss Ed was going through during this recording, coupled with his anger at the war (and president), led the guys through emotional territory and a direction not even fans could grasp as a whole. But, in the end, it works beautifully. With the exception of "Unemployable", "Army Reserve" and "Marker in the Sand", the songs have aged well, and I enjoy listening to them quite often.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    8203001.jpg

This is the album where Pearl Jam's song writing became less imaginative and too straightforward.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,109
    8203001.jpg

This is the album where Pearl Jam's song writing became less imaginative and too straightforward.

Sometimes political songs should be straightforward.

I think this album has aged just fine.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
    2023-08-31 Wrigley 2
    2023-09-15 Fenway 1
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PU38569 wrote:
    I heard the next album takes the phoning it in approach a step further and it's just Ed on the beach drumming on his surfboard while his accountant reads off the latest merchandise sales figures.

And the tour posters and t-shirts have already all sold out online, and the official bootlegs, which is weird, because no shows have actually occurred yet.

What's the ecological footprint on 37 tons of redundant physical objects with a band's name printed on it?

No time for that, gotta start hitting refresh for the exclusive PJ doorstop collection pre-sale.

I really have problems with doors not staying open in my house.

Punk rock dude

:?

I love the band... I love Ed...

But this is awesome
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    And as far as avocado... I think it is a great record and always will be... It also lead to the biggest touring year since 1992
  • fishermanfisherman Posts: 12
    I still love the album. The first 4 tracks hit you and just keep on running. Life Wasted, WWS, Comatose, and Severed Hand all rock when they first came out, and still do today. They were upfront, angry, full of emotion and energy. I equally like the last 4 songs for their softer qualities, more contemplative. Come back has brought tears to my eyes with the emotion they brought out at the Chicago show.
    Still love hearing it, still play it on nearly every road trip I take.
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    Life Wasted, Comatose, Severed Hand, Unemployable, Marker all great songs! Take off Big Wave and Comeback and replace them with Of The Earth then this would be my favorite album!!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    The Best work the band has EVER done !!!!

Im not saying its far and away the best but its tops in my book. Seems like they poured a bunch of heart and soul into it. I just wish they didnt do the video for Life Wasted. I dont like the video at all. It seems to have cheapen the feel of the song.
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
    Life Wasted
    World Wide Suicide
    Comatose
    Severed Hand
    Marker In The Sand
    Parachutes
    Unemployable
    Big Wave
    Gone
    Wasted Reprise
    Army Reserve
    Come Back
    Inside Job

There is not a weak song on this album. NOT ONE!

If you dont like this album, You need to relisten and read the lyrics while your doing it. Parachutes may be the weakest song but its a cleverly written love song.
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    I really like Avocado. I would have liked it more without the brickwalled compression, had been more dynamic...

My favs are

Life Wasted
    Severed Hand
    Marker in the Sand
    Unemployable
    Gone
    Come Back
    Inside Job

Musically a very good album, as a guitar player for 30 years, I gravitate more towards the riffs and melodies rather than the lyrics
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    One of my favorites. Listen to it all the time. Also love the art work...real different for PJ.
    ctd
    AzWicker wrote:
    I really like Avocado. I would have liked it more without the brickwalled compression, had been more dynamic...

My favs are

Life Wasted
    Severed Hand
    Marker in the Sand
    Unemployable
    Gone
    Come Back
    Inside Job

Musically a very good album, as a guitar player for 30 years, I gravitate more towards the riffs and melodies rather than the lyrics

Nicely said :D
  • ckravitzckravitz Posts: 1,668
    AzWicker wrote:

My favs are

Life Wasted
    Severed Hand
    Marker in the Sand
    Unemployable
    Gone
    Come Back
    Inside Job

I agree with pretty much this entire post.

Question for those that know about this sort of thing.... Would remastering fix the compression or is the problem already baked in to the actual recordings? (I know less than nothing about audio production).
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,131
    ckravitz wrote:
    Question for those that know about this sort of thing.... Would remastering fix the compression or is the problem already baked in to the actual recordings? (I know less than nothing about audio production).

Think that could be either way. With Death Magnetic the guy who mastered the album said that the brickwalling was done before he got the songs. So...

The biggest problem to me with S/T (beside the awful art) is Eddies voice. It doesn't lift up any of the songs and together with the production everything just feels tired and I get tired listening to it.

I think Eddies new rough "studio voice" doesn't work on either S/T or Backspacer.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    love it..

top moment of it..

Life Wasted
    Severed Hand
    Marker In The Sand
    Gone
    Army Reserve
    Come Back
    Inside Job
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • ckravitzckravitz Posts: 1,668
    ckravitz wrote:

Think that could be either way. With Death Magnetic the guy who mastered the album said that the brickwalling was done before he got the songs.

Interesting, thanks. Here's to hoping a remaster cleans some of it up. I still like the record but it really is bizarre how when songs from that album come on, it sounds like they are in a box of sorts. Perhaps the vinyl doesn't do this, but I wouldn't know :cry:
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    parachutes is wicked
    danny d
  • -Emma--Emma- Posts: 2,864
    It's a better album than Backspacer...

Life Wasted :thumbup:
    World Wide Suicide :eh: Sometimes I can sing along to this one...at other times I have to skip it.
    Comatose :thumbup:
    Severed Hand :thumbdown:
    Marker In The Sand :thumbdown:
    Parachutes :eh:
    Unemployable :thumbdown:
    Big Wave :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
    Gone :eh: - I prefer Ed's solo version
    Wasted Reprise :thumbup:
    Army Reserve :thumbup:
    Come Back :thumbup:
    Inside Job :eh:
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com