How do you think Avocado has aged?

Comments

• GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    8203001.jpg

...You gonna eat that?

And it's aged like a fine wine.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,127
    Comeback and Inside Job are both classics. Nothing on Backspacer comes close.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    JimmyV wrote:
    i agree..+ Life Wasted...Mike do crazy shit live
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    -Emma- wrote:

Inside Job :eh:
    ill take that as a joke..and not a good one.. :mrgreen:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    JimmyV wrote:

Never gotten to hear it live yet. Someday.

JimmyV wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

Never gotten to hear it live yet. Someday.
    oh really?on man..got it more than 5 times i think...love it live..love it..
    Wrigley it is.. :mrgreen:
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,528
    I hated this album when it first came out but it slowly grew on me to the point that I now place it in my top half.

Parachutes is terrible and Army Reserve is boring, but the rest of the album is really good. 10x better than Backspacer. Protest songs >>> meaningless 2 minute punk songs.
    Protest songs >>> meaningless 2 minute punk songs.

This.

• primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    I think Comeback is pj's cheeziest song. Can't stand it! Sounds like a Bon jovi or Poison song to me. Big Wave also terrible but the rest of the record is some of pj's best stuff! Overall Avocado is one of my favorites.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,131
    JimmyV wrote:
    Protest songs >>> meaningless 2 minute punk songs.

This.

Agree.

Also, Jeff Ament songs > Not Jeff Ament songs

Comeback is cheesy, it feels shallow.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,920
    beats the fuck out of backspacer, I'll tell you that.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,131
    imalive wrote:
    beats the fuck out of backspacer, I'll tell you that.
    So does a Justin Bieber album.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    i'll take Backspacer (which was a few "attempted radio hits" with endless filler) over selftitled. If selftitled didn't have Inside Job I would've rechecked the band name on the cover. I can't get through anything on that album. With Backspacer I can at least enjoy the top 40 formula stuff.

All great bands 20+ years and over have some crappy albums. They'll have another terrific album one day i'm pretty sure.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,425
    World Wide Suicide
    Comatose
    Severed Hand
    Marker In The Sand
    Parachutes
    Unemployable
    Big Wave
    Gone
    Wasted Reprise
    Army Reserve
    Come Back
    Inside Job

Hmm.
    Honestly, I hope NOT ONE of these songs is played at Wrigley.

Havent listened to the album in years.
    Will never listen to it again.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • U_it'sUUUU_it'sUUU Posts: 75
    Today is a day for posting in the forum. I actually had the same wonder so given that it is not a "What's your least favourite PJ album, S/T or Backspacer?" question, I'm thinking of this:
    Fans' opinions are so widely varying not only on the overall rating but even on each song separately.
    I for instance, love Parachutes. It's like floating in the air with a parachute and it ends like an even landing on safe ground. Moving in a secure downwards direction, in a safe speed as with Ed's consecutive singing. Plus that it shouts out Stone's signature. What does such a loose approach have to do with the past PJ stuff they got us used on? Nothing, that's why I like it.
    What I hate on this album is Comatose and Big Wave, actually Eddie's coarse voice, not the songs. Tell me a reason to like them!
    It is a classic PJ album in terms that it has a theme and like each one of their albums should be listened as a whole.
    War, loss and social dysfunctional issues. Songs # 4-5-6-7 I listen on repeat.
    Inside job; i remember reading a Mike's interview on it and how reluctant he was about it and how proud he was when Ed sang it (i think it's Mike lyrics, right? - correct me if i'm wrong), so I would have loved it if Mike had sung it on the album version. Ok, that would never happen but even this story behind it makes me love the song, regardless its musical value.
    Maybe also the sound quality is too polished, like perfectly computer arranged, that it gives me the impression that they (thought they) struggled for the perfect acoustics because (they thought) the actual material was poor. But to reply on the initial question, I think it ages just fine. In the end, as I'm quite pessimistic as a person, I'm afraid a lot of its songs will become very popular in future concerts for reasons universally well known...
  • JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    It was a sub-mediocre album when it came out, and has only got worse. I put it about level with Backspacer to be honest, both albums lasted maybe a couple of months for me before I never listened to them again. The strange thing is that both albums hold amazing memories for me, S/T was PJ's return to Europe after a loooooooong wait (starting with the fantastic Astoria '06 gig), and Backspacer came out during the build-up to my wedding. So when I think of the time surrounding the albums I think of amazing moments in my life and great live shows, yet I really don't like the albums at all :/ It's a great shame.

It hurts to say it but at least I'm being honest, these last two albums turned PJ into a nostalgia live act for me. I hope one day they find the studio magic again.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,113
    My 2 cents if I may:

This album is brilliant. Amazing. One of the only albums better heard on the release than live

Starts off at a blistering pace with Life Wasted.

WWS still hits home to me seeing first hand what these wars are doing to our brave and their families.

Comatose only continues what Life Wasted started and then goes right into Severed Hand by at which point, I am through the roof and full of adrenaline

Marker In The Sand is still ever present with what's going on in Afghanistan and Operation Enduring Freedom. Our country sadly has become numb to the fact we are still at war. We lost 7 last week and you barely read about it anywhere. The Pope gets a full section of his own in the USA Today but 7 Americans lost and their families for ever hurt by it and barely a blimp in the news.

Parachutes: I wish this song was a holiday single or bside. Kills the energy of the first 5 songs. Worse, when they play it live, it kills the momentum of a show. They are allowed to have that 1 song on an album though!

Unemployable: Was great commentary on the sign of the times back when the economy was just about to hit the bottom. Not a fan the entire song but I get it and lyrically, it felt like me a few years ago wide awake at night worrying about being able to shoulder my family's status always working for someone else.

Big Wave: Doesn't fit the first 5 songs or so but another good song where EV brings nature into our thought process. Always fun to sing this song in the car with my kids.

Gone: Again, a commentary on what was going on with the middle and lower class in America. Love the demo and this song will stand the tests of time for most Americans.

Wasted Reprise: Classy!!

Army Reserve: Haunting. Chilling. Sad. Love it. Again, wake up America and realize what our brave men and women are doing so you don't have to, so your kids don't have to, and so sons and daughters of politicians don't have to...

Come Back: not a fan but I wont be negative

Inside Job: Mike's masterpiece. A dream song. Amazingly spiritual. Musically and lyrically. Thank you MIKE!!

-EV
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Avocado and Backspacer are the only albums I dont listen to on a regular basis.
    Though I like some of the tunes on avocado -- Life wasted, Army Reserve, MArker inthe Sand, come back, unemployable...

I put on the Immagne in Cornice DVD saturday and I really had to fast forward through a few of the avocado tracks. :oops:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    I will have to listen to it again. I have not listened to it in well over a year. I guess that gives you my answer. I know I like a lot of the songs but it just didn't stick with me.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    My 2 cents if I may:

This album is brilliant. Amazing. One of the only albums better heard on the release than live

Starts off at a blistering pace with Life Wasted.

WWS still hits home to me seeing first hand what these wars are doing to our brave and their families.

Comatose only continues what Life Wasted started and then goes right into Severed Hand by at which point, I am through the roof and full of adrenaline

Marker In The Sand is still ever present with what's going on in Afghanistan and Operation Enduring Freedom. Our country sadly has become numb to the fact we are still at war. We lost 7 last week and you barely read about it anywhere. The Pope gets a full section of his own in the USA Today but 7 Americans lost and their families for ever hurt by it and barely a blimp in the news.

Parachutes: I wish this song was a holiday single or bside. Kills the energy of the first 5 songs. Worse, when they play it live, it kills the momentum of a show. They are allowed to have that 1 song on an album though!

Unemployable: Was great commentary on the sign of the times back when the economy was just about to hit the bottom. Not a fan the entire song but I get it and lyrically, it felt like me a few years ago wide awake at night worrying about being able to shoulder my family's status always working for someone else.

Big Wave: Doesn't fit the first 5 songs or so but another good song where EV brings nature into our thought process. Always fun to sing this song in the car with my kids.

Gone: Again, a commentary on what was going on with the middle and lower class in America. Love the demo and this song will stand the tests of time for most Americans.

Wasted Reprise: Classy!!

Army Reserve: Haunting. Chilling. Sad. Love it. Again, wake up America and realize what our brave men and women are doing so you don't have to, so your kids don't have to, and so sons and daughters of politicians don't have to...

Come Back: not a fan but I wont be negative

Inside Job: Mike's masterpiece. A dream song. Amazingly spiritual. Musically and lyrically. Thank you MIKE!!

-EV
    i like you :D
  • Love this album. Always did. Thought it was a great statement for the time and further established them as an amazing classic rock band. To each his own but I was always surprised by negative fan reviews for this one. I totally get it with B/S though.
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    Inside Job is worth the listen for me. The lyrics for Marker in the Sand are spot on.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Great album

Solid all the way through
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    For me this album has aged incredibly. I think I love it even more now than I did when it came out. The songs sound amazing live as well. This is a great record.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    I think it has aged VERY well. I think it seems more relevant now than when it was released - PJ was ahead of their time with that one, for sure. 8-)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 915
    I remember when Avocado came out a lot of people were saying that it was the best album from them since Vitalogy. In comparison to Binaural and Riot Act, Avocado does go back to PJs rock roots. Personally, it's not in the top 3 but top 5 for sure. Lastly, the album has balls, people forget that it was during a time when artists where at risk of being damaged for speaking out against the Bush admin. and PJ made an album basically dedicated to it.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Posts: 6,136
    edited March 2013
    like the finest wine, spun it during the weekend, still my second fav after Vitalogy...

LIKE:

Life Wasted
    World Wide Suicide
    Gone
    Wasted Reprise

LOVE:

Parachutes
    Army Reserve
    Come Back

CRAZY AS FUCK:

Comatose
    Severed Hand
    Marker In The Sand
    Unemployable
    Big Wave
    Inside Job
    Post edited by javis el errante on
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• I love "Inside Job" and "Come Back." There was a comment about Ed's current voice not being as suited for the newer albums, but I think "Come Back" is some of the biggest emotion he's put forth on a record, that ending where he's singing the high notes to Mike's high notes still gives me chills most every time I listen. "Big Wave" would have fit better on "Backspacer," I wish "Wasted Reprise" was much longer, and the first 5 tracks are very solid. I like "Parachutes" only because it always reminds me of a John Lennon ballad for some reason.

I still listen to this album, just not all the way through on a regular basis, I like it more than "Binaural," about as much as "Riot Act" and "Backspacer." The first time I saw PJ live was on that tour, and these songs sounded great in concert, especially "Severed Hand," which I still enjoy live, but my favorite albums are still "Ten" through "Yield." That sequence and progression of the first 5 albums is about as good as it gets for most any legendary rock band :D
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,147
    LOVE:

Severed Hand
    Comatose
    Unemployable
    Inside Job

LIKE:

Life Wasted
    World Wide Suicide
    Marker In The Sand
    Parachutes
    Come Back

MEH:

Big Wave
    Wasted Reprise
    Army Reserve

HATE:

Gone
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    To me, lyrics are like the wah-wah-wah from any adult in Charlie Brown cartoons. At least honesty may compensate in part for shallowness. With lyrics out of the way, I think the album sounds great for the most part. I think Severed Hand is one of Mike's best solos. Gone soulds like it was written and produced quickly and there was a lot of potential left on the table. WWS isnt my cup of tea. Overall, I think it is a really good album.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river