Options

Lemme See That Vinyl Collection!

Comments

• Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    edited June 2014

Not a whole lot but adding to it regularly.

That copy of Mousercise not worthy enough to be placed in the collection?!?! Make it Big made it!

• Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494
    jamburger said:

That copy of Mousercise not worthy enough to be placed in the collection?!?! Make it Big made it!

Ha! I didn't put the kids records in there since I don't really listen to those right now. They're waiting for my son when he gets a little older. And yes I do like Make It Big!
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775

jamburger said:

Ha! I didn't put the kids records in there since I don't really listen to those right now. They're waiting for my son when he gets a little older. And yes I do like Make It Big!
    I prefer Edge of Heaven.
    :-bd
  • Options
    hinsey21hinsey21 Posts: 582
    Still a work in progress, but I am in busy work season and I have a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old so it'll get done properly in the fall. Started collecting casually in around 1999. Got more serious in 2003 and then 2006 stopped buying cds entirely and went strictly to only buying records.

Best Find: Never paid more then face value for any Pearl Jam albums. Most of which I bought for under 20 dollars.

Stupidest mistake: putting off buying Gorillaz Demon Days. Still don't have it!

Record I will never have: Benaroya Hall, just because I generally don't pay over face for records and no records are worth 1000 dollars imo.

Band I own most records: Rolling Stones (over 70 different pressings)

Artists I own most records by Paul Mccartney or Neil Young....not sure

Favourite Record I own: All of my Pearl Jam Records

Favourite Box Sets: Rolling Stones 64-69/Rolling Stones 71-06/Beatles Blue Box

Stupidest Argument in record collecting right now "it's digitally sourced so its no good" Some of the best sounding records I own are digitally sourced Ie, Rolling Stones Box sets and Tom Petty Live Anthology.

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    Looks real good. Nice collection. I like how you pulled the boxes out separate.
  • Options

Looks real good. Nice collection. I like how you pulled the boxes out separate.

Thanks Tim, Yeah the box sets are up there more for out of reach purposes with the kids but I think it looks nice.
  • Options
    reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Yes, looks like a great collection Hinsey, so many good box-sets, Stone Roses, Blur, U2 Achtung Baby... Those speakers look pretty bad-ass too. I see you're spinning Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights, such a good album. 70 Rolling Stone records....Whoah! :-bd
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Options
    Thanks Ressdog. I always enjoy looking at your collection. Not sure I have ever seen a collection with such perfect spines.
  • Options
    Any new collections?
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Anyone have any recommendations for a good preamp?. I've been looking at the bellari vp130....
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,612
    edited November 2014
    Hinsey, that collection is crazy. Many of you have collections that put mine to absolute shame. I mean, I love mine, but it's simply around 130(??) albums that I really love - 3 and a bit squares of my expidit, lol. It's always growing, but very slowly compared to many collectors I've come to know (here and elsewhere).

I covet these massive collections... but how do you find the time to listen to all of those albums? Or do you? I have been trying to restrict my vinyl purchases to what I will actually spin on at least a semi-regular basis.... which is a great money-saving tactic, but actually harder to adhere to that i would have thought! The internal battles that i fight are hard, lol. To buy or not to buy, that is the question. ;) And the secondary battle comes when I admit to myself that I made an impulse purchase of an album i realize I'm not going to ever get around to playing in favour of many others that i have or want. Then comes the trip to the record store to trade them in for store credit and the whole battle begins again, lol. :D
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I was up to like 150 or so in a couple years of collecting and soon realized that I had massive amounts of wax that I couldn't get around and listen to. Sold a bunch off to make it more manageable and learned how to control my habit, ha.

If only I could do the same with posters....
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    I listen to it like I listen to any music. When I'm In the mood for it I pull it out. Yeah, sure, some albums probably haven't been spun in a few years, but I like the album enough to keep it, I know I'll be in the mood to listen to it again. Now I have the luxury to be in a house so I've got the space to keep the records (certainly my collection wasn't huge in college), so I get why people may not want massive collections.
  • Options
    Also, I work from home a few days a week and have one of my turntables at my desk. So it easy to listen to records.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,047

Also, I work from home a few days a week and have one of my turntables at my desk. So it easy to listen to records.

Lucky bastard! :))
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    I really need to catalog and file all my purchases since June. Been dragging my feet. Also I need to update my photobucket page with shots of the shelves.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,494
    Originally my music collection was on cassette. Then when CDs got popular I replaced all my tapes with CDs. Now I have been buying vinyl, but the cost to replace all my CDs with vinyl makes that not possible. I had been buying a lot of vinyl that I already owned on CD, but now I've just started buying vinyl of things I don't have already.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,855
    PJ_Soul said:

how do you find the time to listen to all of those albums? Or do you? I have been trying to restrict my vinyl purchases to what I will actually spin on at least a semi-regular basis.... which is a great money-saving tactic, but actually harder to adhere to that i would have thought! The internal battles that i fight are hard, lol. To buy or not to buy, that is the question. ;) And the secondary battle comes when I admit to myself that I made an impulse purchase of an album i realize I'm not going to ever get around to playing in favour of many others that i have or want. Then comes the trip to the record store to trade them in for store credit and the whole battle begins again, lol. :D

Word, PJ Soul. The cost of vinyl, for me, helps serve as a filter when deciding what records to buy or not. It's one of the things I like about chasing it. Like you, I don't want records sitting on my shelf collecting dust (w/ the exception of the occasional collectible purchase :-B). I have three young boys which who also inform my purchases in that I want to be able to pipe music around the house family-style and not worry too much about having to mute out words.

I think the next level of 'purchase filter' is going to be HD music via Pono and others. There are a select few band I'd drop $20-$25 on, album unheard; but I'll need to stream the album or hear it in some format before dropping that kind of dime. Along the same lines, vinyl often costs that much if not more.

Oh yeah....sweet collection Hinsey!!! =P~
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,777
    edited November 2014
    Hope this works here you go!

I've been collecting since 2009 but my first record I bought was in 2001 at Tower records in Seattle.
    It was a second press of Nirvana's Bleach.
    My second and third purchases were when I moved to Victoria.
    I bought Tool Lateralus and Red Hot Chili Peppers Blood Sugar Sex Magic.
    Which is pretty cool considering Blood Sugar was the first CD I ever got.

http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/Robbyd462/slideshow/Vinyl Collection

I have to get another Record shelf!!
    Post edited by RobbyD462 on
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,658
    RobbyD462 said:

Hope this works here you go!

I've been collecting since 2009 but my first record I bought was in 2001 at Tower records in Seattle.
    It was a second press of Nirvana's Bleach.
    My second and third purchases were when I moved to Victoria.
    I bought Tool Lateralus and Red Hot Chili Peppers Blood Sugar Sex Magic.
    Which is pretty cool considering Blood Sugar was the first CD I ever got.

http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/Robbyd462/slideshow/Vinyl Collection

I have to get another Record shelf!!

i have the same edmonton poster and the werchter poster hanging in my living room too
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,047

Very nice and clean looking!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    holy shite^^^^^^
    hope you never have to move...hehe
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    I moved 3 years ago. I had about 10 cubes less though. But it did take 3 cars trips for just vinyl alone.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Just reorganized last night after adding in what I bought since July. Really happy with the layout.

I want to see what else you have on the top.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    L to R

45 box sets
    Beatles Mono
    Beatles Stereo
    Paramount Records Vol. 1
    White Stripes 45 case w/ OP of their singles
    Third Man Records 45 case w/ TMR 7"s I enjoy
    TMR Vault 45 case w/ TMR vault releases
    TMR White Stripes 45 case with TMR reissues
    3 boxes of my 45s.

There is a hardcover of Image Comics Sex Criminals up there too, because I didn't see it until I snapped the pic.

On the floor you can see LP cases from TMR and White Stripes. Nothing in the TMR case right now and the Stripes one has all my White Stripes LPs.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Nice. I like that WS 45 case.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208

i spy some black angels
  • Options

that looks like a nice and cozy spot......love that target table