***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    edited February 2014

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

At what price would you no longer have cable tv? $200, $300, $400, $500 a month?

Fella, not only did you prove with your comments that you don't read, but you also haphazardly - and dumbfoundingly - just described what a monopoly is - what amount of money will you pay until you won't take it no more.

There was a day in history where transportation was seen as luxury, along with lights in your house. Fucking mope....when nearly every piece of business, commerce and economy is based on what happens over the internet - yes, it's a utility. This is fucking 1995 anymore and you just pulled Prodigy out of its CD case to boot up to your computer.

Mmmmmmmmmope.

it's 1995 again and you are sucking at your mommas teet and getting a trophy for striking out 700 straight times in little league.

i guess i didn't get the memo when it's required to have cable tv and internet service in every home in america. your fucking generation thinks everything should be given to you. go occupy wall street because some company wants to charge you money for a service they provide.
    I was with you for a while but damn dude. This is pretty nonsensical and doesn't make much sense. No one is asking for free cable. I have a whole hell of a lot less of a problem with this merger than most. I have a whole hell of a lot less of a problem with this merger than I do with the AA/US Airways merger. I don't see this limiting any options or driving up price because there is little to no current competition between the two companies currently. With US Airways and AA, I do. It's not about a company charging money for a service, no one is asking for anything for free. They are asking for a competitive market. It wasn't a competitive market before and I don't think this makes it much less competitive

Ryan Howard got that same trophy
    ryan howard also EARNED a rookie of the year, MVP, NL Playoff MVP and a World Series trophy. pretty good for the worse player ever if i say so myself.

these guys are arguing that I'm being forced to pay $200 a month for cable tv, internet and phone. all i was saying was disputing that I'm forced to pay that. I'm not forced to pay anything. not a hard concept to follow guys.

Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited February 2014
    Mitt....check
    Bats....check
    Batting gloves....check
    Sunglasses....check
    Breitling....check

Necessities for baseball, you know.

This was in response to a picture that was just here. What you doing JK?
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

At what price would you no longer have cable tv? $200, $300, $400, $500 a month?

Fella, not only did you prove with your comments that you don't read, but you also haphazardly - and dumbfoundingly - just described what a monopoly is - what amount of money will you pay until you won't take it no more.

There was a day in history where transportation was seen as luxury, along with lights in your house. Fucking mope....when nearly every piece of business, commerce and economy is based on what happens over the internet - yes, it's a utility. This is fucking 1995 anymore and you just pulled Prodigy out of its CD case to boot up to your computer.

Mmmmmmmmmope.

it's 1995 again and you are sucking at your mommas teet and getting a trophy for striking out 700 straight times in little league.

i guess i didn't get the memo when it's required to have cable tv and internet service in every home in america. your fucking generation thinks everything should be given to you. go occupy wall street because some company wants to charge you money for a service they provide.
    I was with you for a while but damn dude. This is pretty nonsensical and doesn't make much sense. No one is asking for free cable. I have a whole hell of a lot less of a problem with this merger than most. I have a whole hell of a lot less of a problem with this merger than I do with the AA/US Airways merger. I don't see this limiting any options or driving up price because there is little to no current competition between the two companies currently. With US Airways and AA, I do. It's not about a company charging money for a service, no one is asking for anything for free. They are asking for a competitive market. It wasn't a competitive market before and I don't think this makes it much less competitive

ryan howard also EARNED a rookie of the year, MVP, NL Playoff MVP and a World Series trophy. pretty good for the worse player ever if i say so myself.

these guys are arguing that I'm being forced to pay $200 a month for cable tv, internet and phone. all i was saying was disputing that I'm forced to pay that. I'm not forced to pay anything. not a hard concept to follow guys.

That is not what they are arguing at all.

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Mmmmmmmmmope.
    he also said his "choice" was to either have cable or not to have cable.....hahaha
    jeezus h fucking Christ you aren't disputing this one are you? why do i NEED cable tv? come on explain this one to my why i NEED it. i gotta hear this one....

ill wait...

wow...i don't think you even understand what we are talking about here.

anyone ever see the movie Idiocracy? good lord...

i guess my question was too tough for you to answer
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365

Mitt....check
    Bats....check
    Batting gloves....check
    Sunglasses....check
    Breitling....check

In regard to?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:

Mitt....check
    Bats....check
    Batting gloves....check
    Sunglasses....check
    Breitling....check

In regard to?
    Dom Brown picture....am I going insane?

I see it as the last post on the previous page
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:

I see it as the last post on the previous page

HA. I thought it was gone. I can't get used to this new format. Never notice when the pages change
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    edited February 2014

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Mmmmmmmmmope.

He's a little slow....

Anyway, Cliff, you don't see how this will have an effect on what you pay? I would argue this will end up in higher prices than to airfare (relatively) far more sooner, but its the same exact issue.

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Mmmmmmmmmope.

He's a little slow....

Anyway, Cliff, you don't see how this will have an effect on what you pay? I would argue this will end up in higher prices than to airfare (relatively) far more sooner, but its the same exact issue.
    haha quick enough to beat your ass if need be.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Mmmmmmmmmope.

He's a little slow....

you have got serious issues.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Mmmmmmmmmope.

He's a little slow....

Annnnd perfect.

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Mmmmmmmmmope.

He's a little slow....

you have got serious issues.
    sorry i don't like assholes or people who try to act like bullies. at least when you disagree you at least do it fairly respectfully most of the time unlike this guy and that other one. those 2 have to be related or even the same guy. they basically act exactly the same on here.
    edited February 2014

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Mmmmmmmmmope.

He's a little slow....

I don't, because I don't see this as decreasing any consumer options. People who have Comcast are still going to have one real option and people who have Time Warner are still going to have one real option. It is simply a bigger company acquiring more markets. I don't see it as much different than if they bought a UK telecommunications company, to be honest. It got bigger yes, but it didn't limit any competition.

US/AA I see less hubs and less flights, which results in less options. I REALLY hope Philly keeps its hub, but there going to be some tough decisions on the east coast. Between the two mergers I see the airline merger eliminating a lot more competition than the Comcast merger.

Are cable prices going to go up? Sure, there is going to be a point where they can't go any higher but I don't necessarily think we are there yet. Not far though. That said, I don't think those increases will because of this acquisition.

Edit: As I mentioned in our other conversation, I do see this eliminating a lot of jobs, which I am not a fan of.

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Mmmmmmmmmope.

He's a little slow....

I don't, because I don't see this as decreasing any consumer options. People who have Comcast are still going to have one real option and people who have Time Warner are still going to have one real option. It is simply a bigger company acquiring more markets. I don't see it as much different than if they bought a UK telecommunications company, to be honest. It got bigger yes, but it didn't limit any competition.

US/AA I see less hubs and less flights, which results in less options. I REALLY hope Philly keeps its hub, but there going to be some tough decisions on the east coast. Between the two mergers I see the airline merger eliminating a lot more competition than the Comcast merger.

Are cable prices going to go up? Sure, there is going to be a point where they can't go any higher but I don't necessarily think we are there yet. Not far though. That said, I don't think those increases will because of this acquisition.
    But this goes beyond cable prices for TV; this is positioning to make long-term, permanent, changes that will detrimentally hinder more than just the cable industry. This is the forrest from the trees.
    By hinder the cable industry I meant the consumer of cable - moving now into digital access, internet access, online streaming, etc etc.

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Mmmmmmmmmope.

He's a little slow....

But this goes beyond cable prices for TV; this is positioning to make long-term, permanent, changes that will detrimentally hinder more than just the cable industry. This is the forrest from the trees.
    I guess I don't get what you mean by this.

Like I said earlier, my big problem will be if Comcast plays dirty and slows down high bandwidth streaming to fuck with Netflix, Apple, Google TV, etc. service. There are plenty of accusations about this already and that would be a major issue for me. The government couldn't let that fly.

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Mmmmmmmmmope.

He's a little slow....

Like I said earlier, my big problem will be if Comcast plays dirty and slows down high bandwidth streaming to fuck with Netflix, Apple, Google TV, etc. service. There are plenty of accusations about this already and that would be a major issue for me. The government couldn't let that fly.
    This is one of many issues - Comcast could squash Netflix like a bug if they wanted to; this being one of many issues I'm talking about.

So you said you don't see how Comcast acquiring TW will effect anything. I'm sure they've acquired many things that come with TWC - more than just coverage/area.

A monopoly essentially gives less for a higher price, and with that degrades along the way. You think customer service will be better? Only if you're a "preferred member", for example, and end up making you pay a higher tier essentially to have you what you had before but you get the privilege of not getting idiots to talk to from customer service. Or all these sports deals that have been doled out that the majority of subscribers don't want anyway? Boom. Done. You're paying for it.

Oh, you want to access Netflix using OUR cable internet? That's 2.99 extra per app/whatever since we already offer you a FREE streaming service for you $299/mo (HOORAY! THANK GOD FOR THAT!).

These are just some of what could happen.
    I thought Verizon has been caught doing this, not comcast.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    My point being is the contradiction of it - think about it this way, answer me this:

Were TWC and Comcast competitors before this merger? No, right?

The point is instead of this being a duopoly or an oligopoly, you are now down to one. And that can never be a good thing.

Cable's competitors arent Fios (Verizon had a 15% share of the market with which they competed with Comcast, and 11% where they competed with TWC).

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

Mmmmmmmmmope.

He's a little slow....

This is one of many issues - Comcast could squash Netflix like a bug if they wanted to; this being one of many issues I'm talking about.

So you said you don't see how Comcast acquiring TW will effect anything. I'm sure they've acquired many things that come with TWC - more than just coverage/area.

A monopoly essentially gives less for a higher price, and with that degrades along the way. You think customer service will be better? Only if you're a "preferred member", for example, and end up making you pay a higher tier essentially to have you what you had before but you get the privilege of not getting idiots to talk to from customer service. Or all these sports deals that have been doled out that the majority of subscribers don't want anyway? Boom. Done. You're paying for it.

Oh, you want to access Netflix using OUR cable internet? That's 2.99 extra per app/whatever since we already offer you a FREE streaming service for you $299/mo (HOORAY! THANK GOD FOR THAT!).

These are just some of what could happen.

I don't necessarily see a lot of this other stuff happening. If anything there are going to be more options with smart TVs, Roku, etc. The gov't can't allow them to effect internet bandwidth for streaming services. That's where my problem would start. So I hear you on that. And yeah, people who don't watch a minute of sports are paying for sports just like I am paying for E! and I don't watch a minute of that. Sports are obviously much more costly. I have no idea how/if that will change and this has been an issue for a very long time.

I get the Comcast problem to begin with and I do agree that they essentially have a monopoly in the markets they are in. It is definitely an issue and I don't see it changing. All cable companies do though. Like I mentioned, Suddenlink in NC is aids on a stick and my family couldn't get Direct TV without chopping down trees. It is a massive regional issue across the country. Like I said, I just don't see this move as any different than them moving into the UK, Canada or Mexico though.

I guess I just don't think they have any more of a monopoly today than they did yesterday.

My point being is the contradiction of it - think about it this way, answer me this:

Were TWC and Comcast competitors before this merger? No, right?

The point is instead of this being a duopoly or an oligopoly, you are now down to one. And that can never be a good thing.

Cable's competitors arent Fios (Verizon had a 15% share of the market with which they competed with Comcast, and 11% where they competed with TWC).

HA. But that is my point a well and I agree completely. Competition isn't changing.

• HOLY SHIT what did I miss!!!!!!!!!! Man just imagine what these conservations would be like in person. I'm pretty sure all the parties would be serving jail time after it was over.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Went to see the Bronx tale play tonight. Fucking awesome. Phenomenal movie just as good play. Crowd was hilarious.
    baer will never miss an opportunity to rip the team he blogs. but if we are being fair, what is so wrong about this:

“I use it. I think there’s a place for old school with the new stuff and a place for new stuff with the old school. I think a mixture is good. But for me, I think it can be overdone.”

i mean he came from the redsox who use it more than most...
    www.myspace.com
    edited February 2014
    Well yeah, he did, but he also oversaw an absolute disaster with that staff

I hear you though and I agree that there is a time and place I just always find it amusing when people say it gets in the way. Pretty clearly a case by case basis but still, not a fan of coaches speaking out against analytics. He essentially said that analytics is overdone in most organizations and he likes that the phillies are old school.

I hear you though and I agree that there is a time and place I just always find it amusing when people say it gets in the way. Pretty clearly a case by case basis but still, not a fan of coaches speaking out against analytics

and don't get me wrong, i didn't like the hire like most people.

how involved is the manager with picking the staff usually?
    www.myspace.com

I hear you though and I agree that there is a time and place I just always find it amusing when people say it gets in the way. Pretty clearly a case by case basis but still, not a fan of coaches speaking out against analytics

and don't get me wrong, i didn't like the hire like most people.

how involved is the manager with picking the staff usually?
    The gm is obviously heavily involved in the process, contracts and has final say but I think most organizations largely allow the coach to pick who he works with
This discussion has been closed.