***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329

if you were to take a shot every time moyer and stairs say "you know," you would have alcohol poisoning by the 3rd inning.

I have directv (thank god) and since the assholes took away my Sunday games, I won't get a single chance to watch this shit show all year.

No shots for me
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953

I agree with pretty much everything but the sports stuff, obviously

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/28/philadelphia-underrated-city_n_4826930.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

meant to post that yesterday. pretty surprising how much stuff they got right for huff post. the writer must have family here or something.
    I'm pretty sure Bob & Barbara's paid for their mentioning in this - I think I counted 3 times. Not that I'm complaining...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know
    ya know

it's a week into spring training but i have had ENOUGH already. matt stairs is ruining baseball for me! i can't listen to this man talk.

www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    why don't the Phils keep Franco and play him against lefties and Asche against righties? stop over thinking things. sometimes they wait so long before bringing up their best prospects and rather have minor leaguers like Frandsen and Mayberry on the squad.

edited March 2014
    pjhawks said:

why don't the Phils keep Franco and play him against lefties and Asche against righties? stop over thinking things. sometimes they wait so long before bringing up their best prospects and rather have minor leaguers like Frandsen and Mayberry on the squad.

you want to platoon two of their best young players? they should both be playing every day. franco's numbers were better against righties last year anyway. gelb has a nice article about young franco today...
    www.myspace.com

pjhawks said:

you want to platoon two of their best young players? they should both be playing every day. franco's numbers were better against righties last year anyway. gelb has a nice article about young franco today...
    yea why not? is either ready fully ready to successfully navigate 500 at bats in the Majors? I don't think so and having Franco get 200 at bats in the majors is better long term than playing in AA again if he is this talented. I've always been a believer that sometimes more at bats in the minors is more of a hindrance than playing part time in the majors. and you are going to have to make a decision on who is going to be the 3rd baseman long term. why not have a little competition in the majors? what's the point of giving 200 at bats at 3rd base to the likes of Galvis, Frandsen, and/or someone else this year? Frandsen is a minor leaguer and Galvis has not shown he can hit with any type of consistently in the majors.

you would be stunting the growth of two of your best young talents if you don't let them hit against right handed or left handed pitchers. these guys need as many at bats as possible. no sense in leaving guys like these on the bench for half the year.

and they are both in the big league camp for a reason--because they are competing to be the every day third baseman this year. asche did well last year so the job is his to lose. if franco doesn't make the team, there's nothing wrong him getting as many at bats as possible in triple a before a call up at some point later this year

fransden and galvis are utility guys. franco is a potential star player. you don't put him on the bench. and he's only 21.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

you would be stunting the growth of two of your best young talents if you don't let them hit against right handed or left handed pitchers. these guys need as many at bats as possible. no sense in leaving guys like these on the bench for half the year.

and they are both in the big league camp for a reason--because they are competing to be the every day third baseman this year. asche did well last year so the job is his to lose. if franco doesn't make the team, there's nothing wrong him getting as many at bats as possible in triple a before a call up at some point later this year

fransden and galvis are utility guys. franco is a potential star player. you don't put him on the bench. and he's only 21.

Yeah, 500 at bats against AAA pitching is sooooo much more important that a couple hundred and sitting on the bench against big league. Best way to stunt someones growth.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    I'm having some Jameson's before I go to work.....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

Yeah, 500 at bats against AAA pitching is sooooo much more important that a couple hundred and sitting on the bench against big league. Best way to stunt someones growth.

not for every player. there comes a time where beating up on minor league pitchers is no longer a benefit. if the guy is talented enough to hit against major league pitching 200 Major league at bats is better than 500 AA/AAA at bats where 95% will come against guys who will never pitch in the majors. playing against worse competition is not necessarily a good thing especially when the talk is Franco will most likely debut at some point this season anyway. you can also learn a lot by watching and being on the major league club even if only playing every other day. I think having a guy play part time to start is better than expecting him to come in and play 6 days a week in the major leagues. easier to ease into being a star than being asked to be an everyday major league player fresh from the minors.

pjhawks said:

not for every player. there comes a time where beating up on minor league pitchers is no longer a benefit. if the guy is talented enough to hit against major league pitching 200 Major league at bats is better than 500 AA/AAA at bats where 95% will come against guys who will never pitch in the majors. playing against worse competition is not necessarily a good thing especially when the talk is Franco will most likely debut at some point this season anyway. you can also learn a lot by watching and being on the major league club even if only playing every other day. I think having a guy play part time to start is better than expecting him to come in and play 6 days a week in the major leagues. easier to ease into being a star than being asked to be an everyday major league player fresh from the minors.

I mean, it all depends on how long a kid has been in the minors. If he has been sitting at AAA for 2 years or is an absolute stud like Machado, yeah, of course but there is a huge jump in pitching from AA to AAA. How many kids can play every other day and keep timing on big league pitchers? I mean, can you literally name any prospects who excel that way?

EVERY single major league team has a minor leaguer who will come out of the wood work in spring training, mash and the fans will call for them to break camp with the team, of which very few will.

A September call up followed by a spring training in big league camp and enough time in AAA to start the season that you save the year of service time is how most prospects are and should be brought up.
    Some pretty solid numbers in AA, actually. He can't break camp but if he hits AAA early, then you bring him up.

pjhawks said:

I mean, it all depends on how long a kid has been in the minors. If he has been sitting at AAA for 2 years or is an absolute stud like Machado, yeah, of course but there is a huge jump in pitching from AA to AAA. How many kids can play every other day and keep timing on big league pitchers? I mean, can you literally name any prospects who excel that way?

EVERY single major league team has a minor leaguer who will come out of the wood work in spring training, mash and the fans will call for them to break camp with the team, of which very few will.

A September call up followed by a spring training in big league camp and enough time in AAA to start the season that you save the year of service time is how most prospects are and should be brought up.
    underlined and bold is why the biggest reason most prospects are brought up that way.
    imalive said:

Let's have this conversation instead of the nonsense of having Asche and Franco platoon at 3rd.

I think some people are drinking Jameson at work, son.

On a semi-related note - job interview on Friday. I'm thinking of trying out taking a nip or two first thing in the morning to really drive home the I-don't-give-a-shit attitude. I'm convinced this mindset exudes confidence more than any other.
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

underlined and bold is why the biggest reason most prospects are brought up that way.

Which is the best reason possible. You get to break them into the big leagues slowly while getting them regular at bats and save a year of time.
    can you find an example of any top prospect who was used as a

imalive said:

Let's have this conversation instead of the nonsense of having Asche and Franco platoon at 3rd.

On a semi-related note - job interview on Friday. I'm thinking of trying out taking a nip or two first thing in the morning to really drive home the I-don't-give-a-shit attitude. I'm convinced this mindset exudes confidence more than any other.
    hahaha
    www.myspace.com
    DUDE, I meant to post this. Good stuff. The Philly accent is something. I just heard it called Hoagie Mouth today, find that hilarious
    edited March 2014

imalive said:

if hired just make sure you get the right size paper hat.
    edited March 2014

DUDE, I meant to post this. Good stuff. The Philly accent is something. I just heard it called Hoagie Mouth today, find that hilarious

I'm assuming you were looking at Philebrity. I'm a fan of Joe Sweeney and his nerdlinger hipster site, but like all nerdlinger hipster things - it can border, and cross into, a level pretension that only one that is insecure with themself can reach.

Oh, and there's my jealousy that that dude makes a living with that site....bastard...
    thought it was pretty cool that the Phils put Fregosi's hat on the seat he usually sat in while scouting. wasn't the biggest Fregosi fan but thought they did the ceremony with some class.
    Aaaannnnnd the slippery slope begins with Hamels...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZzAS53gcDg
    The franchise had been screwing up injuries for years. Of course Cole suffers a set back from something that supposedly wasn't even a big issue to begin with.
    www.myspace.com

I'm assuming you were looking at Philebrity. I'm a fan of Joe Sweeney and his nerdlinger hipster site, but like all nerdlinger hipster things - it can border, and cross into, a level pretension that only one that is insecure with themself can reach.

Oh, and there's my jealousy that that dude makes a living with that site....bastard...
    Dude I work with said Hoagie Mouth yesterday. Assume that is where he got it.

I haven't read that site in ages. I used to all the time.
    not really shocking news there about Cole. when a guy comes into spring with a bad arm...
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    So CBP will be crowded every 5th day for Cliff.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    pjhawks said:

imalive said:

if hired just make sure you get the right size paper hat.

this thread is probably best when it's NOT baseball talk....and face it, there's not much for you dudes to talk about on that front.

I loved the Pawnsylvania clip, even if those types are foreign to me. which one of YOU is closet to the Kroll guy? maybe the fixer?

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited March 2014
    Some greedy bastards the Phillies are. Since when is there an hour and a half rain delay 2 weeks into spring training? When Tanaka is starting at an opponents facility. That's when.

Some greedy bastards the Phillies are. Since when is there an hour and a half rain delay 2 weeks into spring training? When Tanaka is starting at an opponents facility. That's when.

a yankees fan calling the phillies greedy. hahaha
    www.myspace.com

a yankees fan calling the phillies greedy. hahaha
    Touche
This discussion has been closed.