Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,627
    Some Philly boxing news last night. Bryant Jennings from North Philly had a solid win last night at MSG (theater) to stay undefeated. He is looking really good and is starting to earn himself some good fights.

Pretty cool story. 29 years old, didn't start boxing until he was 24. Worked as a mechanic at the Federal Reserve here until recently. I didn't know anything about him until around 2012 when a buddy who works there told me about him.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Never been to Wing Bowl, but I've seen pics. Kinda pissed it's Friday. Taking kid down to see the Hershey Bear / Phantoms game Saturday afternoon. No way the place gets a thorough cleaning. Who knows what kind of shit I'll be sitting in.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,820

Never been to Wing Bowl, but I've seen pics. Kinda pissed it's Friday. Taking kid down to see the Hershey Bear / Phantoms game Saturday afternoon. No way the place gets a thorough cleaning. Who knows what kind of shit I'll be sitting in.

It's always on a Friday.

Don't the Phantoms play in Allentown now or something?

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

It's always on a Friday.

Don't the Phantoms play in Allentown now or something?

Allentown next year. The arena was supposed to be done this year, they hit a snag. Not sure what the snag was.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,389
    well, here's a little bit of good news. keith law has the phils farm system ranked 14th. he had them 27th last year:

14. Philadelphia Phillies

Similar to Texas but with fewer prospects who are potential grade 65 or better players in the majors. I thought the Phillies had one of the best drafts, perhaps the best of anyone, in 2013, landing a few high-ceiling high school kids -- such as shortstop J.P. Crawford -- while mixing in some solid college bats like catcher Andrew Knapp.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    So that dude from Philly on Top Chef won last night. His restaurant also got a legit review recently. Too bad you can't get in.

That said, Philly now has 2 Top Chef and one Iron Chef winners. And I know the dude from Vedge won Chopped so there is that too. Pretty cool.
  • Options
    This guy just scored 12 Bells Hopslams. This shit is amazing.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,820
    Speaking of Bells, Two Hearted is coming to can form....this is amazing news.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

This guy just scored 12 Bells Hopslams. This shit is amazing.

I was able to get 3. the store would only sell 3 per person. Worst part is I decided not to drink this weekend.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    burnett on a 1 year deal? what do you guys think? i'd do it.

also, regarding bells---new broken bells album is quality stuff.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,261

also, regarding bells---new broken bells album is quality stuff.

yes at the right price definitely. would be a nice 3rd starter and could allow you to move Kendrick to the bullpen if you so desire. I've always preferred Kendrick as a middle reliever. think he is better suited there.
  • Options
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited February 2014

Doesn't matter. I'd actually prefer to go with the young guys since this team has next to no chance of contending. At least if pettibone starts the season in the rotation they will realize he isn't good and get it over with, rather than promoting him as part of their future.

Lot of talk of Ruff making the team and playing 1B vs lefties. This should have happened two years ago...would love to see Ryno implement this type of strategy. $25 million a year for a platoon guy -- seriously, how does amaro still have a job?????

This season is going to suck...they even whiffed on the announcing team. They really can't do anything right.
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

Doesn't matter. I'd actually prefer to go with the young guys since this team has next to no chance of contending. At least if pettibone starts the season in the rotation they will realize he isn't good and get it over with, rather than promoting him as part of their future.

Lot of talk of Ruff making the team and playing 1B vs lefties. This should have happened two years ago...would love to see Ryno implement this type of strategy. $25 million a year for a platoon guy -- seriously, how does amaro still have a job?????

This season is going to suck...they even whiffed on the announcing team. They really can't do anything right.
    it's R-U-F

my initial thought is that Jamie Moyer is a little boring to be in the booth. Don't know about Stairs. I guess one huge Home Run can take you far though.
  • Options

One of my favorite games ever. Sorry.

That said, would be a good signing but seems slightly pointless. Could be a solid rotation of that Cuban (?) kid is good.
  • Options
    Well they obviously need everything to go right to even have a shot at the wildcard. So from that standpoint a 1 year deal would make sense to me. If they are all injured and sucking again, you flip him in July.

And Cliff, go to hell! Haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Well they obviously need everything to go right to even have a shot at the wildcard. So from that standpoint a 1 year deal would make sense to me. If they are all injured and sucking again, you flip him in July.

And Cliff, go to hell! Haha

Ha yeah, sorry, I had to.

Yeah good point. No reason not to. I always liked the guy, which is weird because he's the kind of guy I usually dislike. He'd actually be good for the yanks this year too, but that would never happen. Neither side would have any interest at all

• Options
    Crazy stat, since losing to the Yankees in the 09 series Howard, Utley, JRoll and Chooch have only played together 119 times out of 648 games.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    per the linked article below, the last two years phils are 77-63 in games Ryan Howard has started. which equates to 89 wins over a full season.

and 77-107 in games he has not started.

pretty interesting especially when considering he played those 2 years with a bad leg. wonder how the haters will spin those numbers . fact is even striking out a 3rd of his at bats this team wins when ryan is in the lineup.

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-philadelphia-phillies/countdown-clearwater-big-piece-ryan-howard

• Options
    pjhawks said:

per the linked article below, the last two years phils are 77-63 in games Ryan Howard has started. which equates to 89 wins over a full season.

pretty interesting especially when considering he played those 2 years with a bad leg. wonder how the haters will spin those numbers . fact is even striking out a 3rd of his at bats this team wins when ryan is in the lineup.

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-philadelphia-phillies/countdown-clearwater-big-piece-ryan-howard

That can't be right because he's the worst player ever. ;)
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Yikes

.244/.307/.445 over that same timeframe. You're willing to bet that those numbers carry a team?
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,587
    good to see the phillies thread getting cranked up again. you guys will be the last ones left here. :))
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    So the news about Hamels comes out and 5 minutes later Burnett is signed. haha.
  • Options
    Burnett is the hizzzouse!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

Burnett is the hizzzouse!

only a 1 year deal too. good stuff.......but now hamels has tendinitis....hahaha...fuck
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Moyer is around just in case!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Hamels with tendintis not a good way to start spring training.
  • Options

Yeah, this is the type of half assed, reactionary move that epitomizes why amaro sucks at his job. If amaro thought burnett could help them he should have signed him two months ago. If hamels is injured long term then this is the equivalent of putting a band aid on skin cancer...and if he's not injured long term it doesn't matter because this lineup has sucked for 4 years now (you would think the GM would try to improve this aspect of his team).

The way they operate makes me shake my head. So frustrating...there is no discernible plan in place for the short or long term. The phillies have become the pre-Hinkie sixers, which is a shame

• Options
    edited February 2014
    The Fixer said:

Yeah, this is the type of half assed, reactionary move that epitomizes why amaro sucks at his job. If amaro thought burnett could help them he should have signed him two months ago. If hamels is injured long term then this is the equivalent of putting a band aid on skin cancer...and if he's not injured long term it doesn't matter because this lineup has sucked for 4 years now (you would think the GM would try to improve this aspect of his team).

The way they operate makes me shake my head. So frustrating...there is no discernible plan in place for the short or long term. The phillies have become the pre-Hinkie sixers, which is a shame

well 2 months ago he was saying he would only sign with pittsburgh or retire. burnett hemming and hawing all winter means the phils actually got a good deal here.

looking at this objectively, i don't see how it doesn't make sense. if literally everything goes right (it wont, obviously-but that is how ruben has to operate), his presence in the rotation may make them a wildcard contender. if they are injured and out of it (most likely), they can flip him for a prospect or two come july. there's no real risk in this signing.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

The Fixer said:

well 2 months ago he was saying he would only sign with pittsburgh or retire. burnett hemming and hawing all winter means the phils actually got a good deal here.

looking at this objectively, i don't see how it doesn't make sense. if literally everything goes right (it wont, obviously-but that is how ruben has to operate), his presence in the rotation may make them a wildcard contender. if they are injured and out of it (most likely), they can flip him for a prospect or two come july. there's no real risk in this signing.
    well, being that he lives in Maryland and has stated numerous times that he would only sign with a team close to home, I think it's pretty safe to assume there is a no trade clause (at least a limited NTC) included in his contract. I hope that's not the case, but Amaro typically gives them out like Halloween candy.

I guess we will see once the contract details become public. You continue to have more faith in the GM than I do
This discussion has been closed.