Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,235
    $7.00 - cost for 2/15/14 for my Comcast.

here's what I got:
    37 live men's college basketball games including 30 in crystal clear high definition on 3 TVs.
    2 local Philly area sports channels.
    All over-the-air free tv stations including access to Winter Olympics coverage including the great Men's Hockey USA-Russia game.
    5 music channels including one that showed PJ Lightning Bolt and PJ Twenty this evening.
    15 separate movie channels (granted 95% of the movies suck)
    the Weather Channel (only mention because this is NOT offered by DirectV
    Every major cable channel that shows all those reality TV shows.
    Internet service currently with 4 devices using it. which gives me access to even more college hoops game should I desire.
    Land line phone service.

look at all that content I received today for the price of a Wawa lunch, a small to medium pizza, or the price of 1 beer at any philly pro sports game.

and that's an unreasonable price???
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,357
    edited February 2014
    pjhawks said:

here's what I got:
    37 live men's college basketball games including 30 in crystal clear high definition on 3 TVs.
    All over-the-air free tv stations including access to Winter Olympics coverage including the great Men's Hockey USA-Russia game.
    5 music channels including one that showed PJ Lightning Bolt and PJ Twenty this evening.
    Internet service currently with 4 devices using it. which gives me access to even more college hoops game should I desire.
    Land line phone service.

look at all that content I received today for the price of a Wawa lunch, a small to medium pizza, or the price of 1 beer at any philly pro sports game.

You cannot be this dumb. Nobody can. Go back and reread what we were talking about because you completely did not understand the conversation. You're making a fool of yourself and I actually feel bad for you at this point.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    edited February 2014
    pjhawks said:

here's what I got:
    Land line phone service.

</blockquote
    Haha

Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,616
    Hahahhahha. That has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

• Options
  • Options

pjhawks said:

here's what I got:
    Land line phone service.

You cannot be this dumb. Nobody can. Go back and reread what we were talking about because you completely did not understand the conversation. You're making a fool of yourself and I actually feel bad for you at this point.

so you never said it was an unreasonable price we were paying and even showed an article comparing what we are paying to what they pay in France???? really, come on dude. did you already forget you did that? must have been too much fruity beer last night?

go Creighton

:))
  • Options

You certainly are an idiot.

....it's that kind of thinking that allows things like this to h
    pjhawks said:

as for charging too much I pay about $200 a month for cable (with the sports tiers, hbo starz, and 3 HD receivers), phone and internet combined and have had maybe 3 or 4 service problems in about 20 years. I really don't think that's unreasonable at all.

this is the problem. you don't think it is unreasonable...because you don't know any better. and that is EXACTLY how comcast, verizon, and our government want you to be.

did you know that people in other countries pay about a quarter of this for the same service? it's actually better service (especially regarding internet speeds and stuff) because there is more competition there, which encourages more innovation and lower prices. we are getting screwed in this country. people need to dig a little deeper and not accept the status quo.

long read, but a worthwhile one:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2014/02/comcast-time-warner-acquisition-competition-cable-internet-monopoly.html

here's your exact post saying it was unreasonable. dope.
  • Options
    edited February 2014

pjhawks said:

here's what I got:
    Land line phone service.

but let me guess you have some form of cable and you pay the price they set? if you think the price is unreasonable yet you still pay it you are fucking sap and a dope. it's moronic to think a price is unreasonable yet still pay it.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

here's what I got:
    Land line phone service.

but let me guess you have some form of cable and you pay the price they set? if you think the price is unreasonable yet you still pay it you are fucking sap and a dope. it's moronic to think a price is unreasonable yet still pay it.
    I have Comcast triple pay with DVR and sports package. It also comes with the premium channels,HBO,Cinemax,etc. I only pay 130 after taxes and charges. I'm not getting involved in this other then to say if everyone else see's it one way and you don't, maybe you should reevaluate your thinking. This isn't like the Howard,Carter topics,it's pretty cut and dry.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Dude, the specific dollar amount we currently pay was such a small aspect of what we are talking about. The point was other people pay less and get more than we do because of competition. Good god
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    pjhawks said:

You certainly are an idiot.

....it's that kind of thinking that allows things like this to h
    pjhawks said:

as for charging too much I pay about $200 a month for cable (with the sports tiers, hbo starz, and 3 HD receivers), phone and internet combined and have had maybe 3 or 4 service problems in about 20 years. I really don't think that's unreasonable at all.

this is the problem. you don't think it is unreasonable...because you don't know any better. and that is EXACTLY how comcast, verizon, and our government want you to be.

did you know that people in other countries pay about a quarter of this for the same service? it's actually better service (especially regarding internet speeds and stuff) because there is more competition there, which encourages more innovation and lower prices. we are getting screwed in this country. people need to dig a little deeper and not accept the status quo.

long read, but a worthwhile one:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2014/02/comcast-time-warner-acquisition-competition-cable-internet-monopoly.html

here's your exact post saying it was unreasonable. dope.
    is this really that difficult? why don't you actually take a few minutes and read that article... or read the one jp posted? here it is again:
    http://business.time.com/2013/01/09/is-broadband-internet-access-a-public-utility/

my point is simple. everyone in this country is paying 3 to 4 times more than the rest of the world (developed countries obviously) for a lesser service. you seem to be overjoyed by this fact for some reason. a lot of areas in this country have no other choice. some do...i have a choice in my area, but the other company offers essentially the same product, the same poor customer service, for the the same high fucking price. monopoly/duopoly--depends where you live. either way, the consumer loses.

and your 7 dollar per day example earlier?....that's about what some people pay for 2 weeks worth of service elsewhere.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    http://gizmodo.com/how-comcast-twc-will-end-your-all-you-can-internet-buff-1523899968/@sarah-hedgecock

So this is the stuff I have an issue with. My issue comes in with this stuff, not the acquisition as a whole
  • Options
    trip down memory lane about the phils failed rebuild during the 80's. fun read. names like jeltz, stone, hayes, schu, carmen, and gross will make you both smile, and puke up your breakfast at the same time though:

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2013/11/1/5050378/the-phillies-rebuild-of-the-mid-80s-the-revolution-will-not-be
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I can still picture Gary Redus blowing Don Carmen's perfect at SF.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options

trip down memory lane about the phils failed rebuild during the 80's. fun read. names like jeltz, stone, hayes, schu, carmen, and gross will make you both smile, and puke up your breakfast at the same time though:

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2013/11/1/5050378/the-phillies-rebuild-of-the-mid-80s-the-revolution-will-not-be

that brings back a lot of memories. boy did those teams from 84-92 suck. bad prospects and sorry retread veterans.

it's those years why I am very cautious when people say we should be starting guys like Galvis over Rollins.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

that brings back a lot of memories. boy did those teams from 84-92 suck. bad prospects and sorry retread veterans.

it's those years why I am very cautious when people say we should be starting guys like Galvis over Rollins.
    they were actually pretty good in 1986....would have been a wild card if it existed then.

galvis...haha..........jp crawford is this team's next short stop if all goes well.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

they were actually pretty good in 1986....would have been a wild card if it existed then.

galvis...haha..........jp crawford is this team's next short stop if all goes well.
    yea '86 they weren't bad but the Mets were awesome so it never felt like you had a chance.

hopefully Crawford can be that in the future but he has only played rookie ball to this point out of high school. long way to go to being a full time starting major league shortstop. galvis will most likely have to bridge that gap.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Lets not forget about the 94-2000 years.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

yea '86 they weren't bad but the Mets were awesome so it never felt like you had a chance.

hopefully Crawford can be that in the future but he has only played rookie ball to this point out of high school. long way to go to being a full time starting major league shortstop. galvis will most likely have to bridge that gap.
    crawford is the future. he could be our top prospect come this time next year (already 3rd in most places). rollins has a vesting option and will probably be back for 2015. so hopefully crawford is ready in 2016 or sooner.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

crawford is the future. he could be our top prospect come this time next year (already 3rd in most places). rollins has a vesting option and will probably be back for 2015. so hopefully crawford is ready in 2016 or sooner.
    best case scenario sure but this franchise has been very slow to bring up younger players. Crawford will barely be 21 years of age in 2016. Hopefully he is the exception and can step right in at that point. where is scheduled to play this year? still A ball?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

best case scenario sure but this franchise has been very slow to bring up younger players. Crawford will barely be 21 years of age in 2016. Hopefully he is the exception and can step right in at that point. where is scheduled to play this year? still A ball?
    yeah....i think there might be a difference with this guy. least i hope so. seems most analysts really liked the pick last year... including ones who always rip on the phils for everything. little hope there, but who knows?...........................plus, there could be a new gm at that point so maybe that philosophy could change a little.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

yeah....i think there might be a difference with this guy. least i hope so. seems most analysts really liked the pick last year... including ones who always rip on the phils for everything. little hope there, but who knows?...........................plus, there could be a new gm at that point so maybe that philosophy could change a little.
    BASEBALL TALK! Here we go...

I don't know a single thing about that kid, but he would have to rocket through the minors like Manny Machado and skip at least one full level. That is a whole lot to ask of anyone.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,543
    you fuckers sure do a good job of perpetuating the combative philly guy stereotype! ;):))
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

you fuckers sure do a good job of perpetuating the combative philly guy stereotype! ;):))

and what the fuck do you mean by that?

I kid I kid
    :))
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

I don't know a single thing about that kid, but he would have to rocket through the minors like Manny Machado and skip at least one full level. That is a whole lot to ask of anyone.

to be ready by 2016?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

to be ready by 2016?
    Yeah, right? Drafted in June means 2.5 years of minor league time before the big leagues. Again, I don't know dick about the guy aside from his baseball reference stats, but he would have to tear up A ball this year, tear up AA in 2015 and skip Triple A, while not getting injured once. That's essentially Profar, Castro and Machado fast. You guys would be set up pretty fucking solid if that were the case

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Steve Jeltz reference image...if Dickie Thon would have been mentioned too, I would haven fallen off my chair.

I have a few Jeltz cards if anyone wants to trade for a Boom Wrigley card
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

to be ready by 2016?
    Yeah, right? Drafted in June means 2.5 years of minor league time before the big leagues. Again, I don't know dick about the guy aside from his baseball reference stats, but he would have to tear up A ball this year, tear up AA in 2015 and skip Triple A, while not getting injured once. That's essentially Profar, Castro and Machado fast. You guys would be set up pretty fucking solid if that were the case

law has him as the highest rated phils prospect at 46. i've seen some project him to making the team at some point in 2016.

46J.P. Crawford, SS
    AVG: .308OBP: .405OPS: .805HR: 1SB: 14
    lastname
    Crawford could have gone as high as 10th in the 2013 draft, as he was one of the Blue Jays' final choices for their pick in that spot, and was in every team's mix on down to the Phillies at 16, who were on him all spring as one of the draft's only true shortstops.

The Phils aren't afraid of slow-development guys, which Crawford appeared to be as a physically immature player who had present speed and some feel to hit. For these reasons his performance in the Gulf Coast League was surprising -- he finished second in the league in OBP and walked as often as he struck out, all while playing above-average defense at shortstop. He even held his own in a brief trial in low-A, an aggressive assignment for an 18-year-old just out of high school.

Crawford needs some help with his first step and actions around the bag at second base, and he's going to have to get stronger so he can continue to hit as he faces better fastballs, but the Phillies may have just nabbed an impact player in the middle of the diamond.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Steve Jeltz reference image...if Dickie Thon would have been mentioned too, I would haven fallen off my chair.

I have a few Jeltz cards if anyone wants to trade for a Boom Wrigley card

Thon, Dickie.

gotta be on the greatest baseball names i've heard....hell of a mustache too.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

to be ready by 2016?

law has him as the highest rated phils prospect at 46. i've seen some project him to making the team at some point in 2016.

46J.P. Crawford, SS
    AVG: .308OBP: .405OPS: .805HR: 1SB: 14
    lastname
    Crawford could have gone as high as 10th in the 2013 draft, as he was one of the Blue Jays' final choices for their pick in that spot, and was in every team's mix on down to the Phillies at 16, who were on him all spring as one of the draft's only true shortstops.

The Phils aren't afraid of slow-development guys, which Crawford appeared to be as a physically immature player who had present speed and some feel to hit. For these reasons his performance in the Gulf Coast League was surprising -- he finished second in the league in OBP and walked as often as he struck out, all while playing above-average defense at shortstop. He even held his own in a brief trial in low-A, an aggressive assignment for an 18-year-old just out of high school.

Crawford needs some help with his first step and actions around the bag at second base, and he's going to have to get stronger so he can continue to hit as he faces better fastballs, but the Phillies may have just nabbed an impact player in the middle of the diamond.

Sounds pretty legit. 46 is really high for an 18 year old. 2016 is most likely a stretch but that isn't a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination and that also isn't what I was getting at earlier. My point was it's just really rare for someone to move up that quick. Pitching changes pretty dramatically pretty quickly.
This discussion has been closed.