Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Howard just went Oppo Boppo off Kimbrel!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,796
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Howard just went Oppo Boppo off Kimbrel!

God, I hate McCarthy.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    polaris_x wrote:
    what's the word on utley?

i'm into my contract year with prado and need to trade him ...

options are utley, uggla or ackley

I haven't seen nearly enough of Ackley, though I like the way he swings the bat. Uggla will give you pop but that's about it.

I don't know how your deal works but if its shot-term thing then go with Utley. Personally, I think he's just fine. I think the dude has 2-3 years of solid everyday play left in him.

As for prediction on how many wins this teams gets this year, I don't see how they don't win 90 - and I say that barring being plagued with injuries across the board (ie major injuries to major playes like last year - Howard, Utley, Halladay, etc). If the over/under is 85, then I like the over big time.

This team blew, what, something like 17 games from the 7th inning on. I know it was 13 that they blew the lead in from the 8th on. And that's ridiculous. This team played like absolute garbage last year and STILL won 81 games. Getting to 85 should be expected by this team. Atlanta is absolutely overrated. I think they got worse.

Maybe Young can't field the best, but now you have an infield you're suppose to rely on every day, the rotation I believe will be fine, and adding Adams in the setup role is hugely underrated. This team, like I said barring catostrophic injuries comparable to last year, should win at least - AT LEAST - 89, 90 wins.

And love Dom Brown this year. From everything I've hear/read him say I think he's ready. And I definitely like his swing - more compact, no excessive movement, keeps his hands back loaded. Looks good. The worst thing they can do is not throw him out there everyday and put D. Young back in whenever he's healthy. That'd be an awful decision. Young should be playing left, along with Nix/whatever slop you want to put there. Ruf may be ready and maybe he's not. I don't get how people are more convinced Ruf is major lague-ready over Brown. Again, maybe he'll hit 30 bombs, maybe he won't. But I'm perfectly comforatble keeping him in AAA - or let him play in the Majors, whatever - over not playing Brown everyday.

agreed on all accounts. welcome back, my friend.

GO. PHILS.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    :lol:
    http://www.thegoodphight.com/2013/2/28/ ... ortunately
    Domonic Brown Succeeding In Spring Training (Unfortunately)

By Tony Verduci on Feb 28 2013, 6:21p 41

Domonic Brown is off to a hot start in spring training, and Phillies brass is PISSED.

Yesterday, Domonic Brown laced a double off the center field wall, nearly missing a home run. With that double, his spring training numbers currently stand at 5-11 with 2 homers, 6 runs scored and 4 walks. His improved approach and confident attitude doesn't bode well for the Phillies management, who have tried their hardest to stunt his development and give more time to players like Michael Martinez and Laynce Nix.

"It's unfortunate..." Ruben Amaro stated from the Bright House Field dugout. "You wish these things don't happen, but that's baseball. It's the state of the game and you just gotta cope with it." Manager Charlie Manuel offered similar words, echoing Amaro's statements. "You know we keep bringing in guys to hopefully block him out there on the field. Pence, Pierre, Ruf...guy just keeps finding a way out there". Fans are not happy about this either, but they're being optimistic. "A 5-tool player who's finally reaching his potential? A young outfield bat who's just what we need! Trade him now! His value has never been higher!" One hopeful young fan said on a social media website.

If Brown continues to hit at his torrid pace, the Phillies might be put in the tough situation of making him the opening day starter out in right field. The former highly touted prospect could finally be reaching his potential, much to the Phillies' chagrin. What may happen if this hot hitting continues all spring training?

"Well we brought in ten outfielders and two of them have to be better than him, right? right?", Phillies president David Montgomery stated, almost trying to convince himself. When asked if Brown would be traded for a beta model of the brand new Sony PS4, Ruben Amaro simply said matter of factually, "I don't comment on rumors."
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Tavern on Broad can get fucked with a massive fucking dildo. The fat slob whore of a bartender flipped out at the fiance for reasons we have no clue about and had the bouncers kick us out. The bouncer gripped up the woman and dragged her out, which made me flip the fuck out and offer out a massive bouncer. Got right up in his face and tried to fight him.

I honestly have no clue why the fuck we were kicked out. None. We were drunk but not obnoxious. I fucking already despised that place and this was just the fucking icing. FUCK THAT PLACE.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Tavern on Broad can get fucked with a massive fucking dildo. The fat slob whore of a bartender flipped out at the fiance for reasons we have no clue about and had the bouncers kick us out. The bouncer gripped up the woman and dragged her out, which made me flip the fuck out and offer out a massive bouncer. Got right up in his face and tried to fight him.

I honestly have no clue why the fuck we were kicked out. None. We were drunk but not obnoxious. I fucking already despised that place and this was just the fucking icing. FUCK THAT PLACE.

...so you had a rough night?

congrats on the whole fiance thing there. :mrgreen: you set a date?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Lil bit. But I can honestly say that we didn't do anything wrong. I would be the first to admit if we did.

Thanks, man. We did. November 2nd. Might hit you up for some info at some point since you went through it all recently.
  • Options
    And because I have talked about my grandfather quite a bit around here, I thought I'd post that he passed last weekend at 101. Hell of a life and had had numerous articles written about him this week in local papers but the editorial today is my favorite.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/311518/ ... -to-legacy

Penn State lost its biggest fan.
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    And because I have talked about my grandfather quite a bit around here, I thought I'd post that he passed last weekend at 101. Hell of a life and had had numerous articles written about him this week in local papers but the editorial today is my favorite.

http://www.timesleader.com/news/311518/ ... -to-legacy

Penn State lost its biggest fan.
    Sorry for your loss. Grandparents are the best.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Lil bit. But I can honestly say that we didn't do anything wrong. I would be the first to admit if we did.

Thanks, man. We did. November 2nd. Might hit you up for some info at some point since you went through it all recently.

yeah sure, ask away if you need to. gonna be 2 years for me in a couple weeks. going back to the honeymoon spot to celebrate it.

sorry to hear about your grandpop...sounds like he lived a full life. that article was pretty damn cool.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,936
    looking forward to this year! :mrgreen:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,477
    Nice blast for R6 off a lefty. Don't know who it was, but it's a decent sign at least.

I would expect this team to win between 86-92 games. we can't expect everyone to be healthy the whole season, but at least we're starting out with Howard and Utley PLAYING in spring training, which is a vast improvement on last year. And, like JP said, the bullpen almost can't be any worse than last year, blowing 17 games with a lead after 7. Even winning a third of those games last year would've gotten that mediocre team to 86-87 wins.

Yeah Kendrick & Lannon are nothing to write home about, but the top 3 is still probably the best in the league and maybe some surprise starter could come out of AAA.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, that sucks. I have never stepped a foot in that place because I know when certain places exude doucheness, and that place seems to have more than enough.

Sorry about your grandpops. 101 is way longer than I expect to be hanging around.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

did you have a yanks hat on?

sorry about your grandfather...
  • Options
    Thanks, all. It actually hasn't been all that sad. Sucks he's gone but tough to get too sad about someone dying after a life like that.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, that sucks. I have never stepped a foot in that place because I know when certain places exude doucheness, and that place seems to have more than enough.

Sorry about your grandpops. 101 is way longer than I expect to be hanging around.

The.Worst. Every time I go there I hate it. Will never go back. We kind of figured out what happened and they are just the worst.
  • Options
    Hip City Veg is a real good spot. Highly recommended.

Finally made it to Alla Spina this weekend. That place is the tits. Expensive, but awesome.
  • Options
    Haha, then why the hell do you keep going there?

I believe I pass that Veg place going to Bikram in between 15th and 16th on Sansom.

It's the worst - after busting my ass doing yoga in 108 degree heat I walk pass Federal Donuts, that Veg place, The Corner Foodery, this other place called Chutney something. Only time I pass all these places is when I'm coming to or from yoga.

Speaking of Federal, they're going to have a spot at the ballpark. I guess that's when I'll finally sit down and have maple bacon donuts and fried chicken at the same time...

Have you been to The Dandelion? We went there for dinner. Real good - got the rabbit pot pie.

ALSO, the Honey's Sit N Eat right up the street from me just opened, so that's going to be huge.
  • Options
    Haha, then why the hell do you keep going there?

I believe I pass that Veg place going to Bikram in between 15th and 16th on Sansom.

It's the worst - after busting my ass doing yoga in 108 degree heat I walk pass Federal Donuts, that Veg place, The Corner Foodery, this other place called Chutney something. Only time I pass all these places is when I'm coming to or from yoga.

Speaking of Federal, they're going to have a spot at the ballpark. I guess that's when I'll finally sit down and have maple bacon donuts and fried chicken at the same time...

Have you been to The Dandelion? We went there for dinner. Real good - got the rabbit pot pie.

ALSO, the Honey's Sit N Eat right up the street from me just opened, so that's going to be huge.

I don't mean to. I went there once or twice willingly and disliked it. Went with work and hated it. Went this week because we were meeting people that were there and that shit happened. That's all.

Ha, yeah, definitely the most healthy option of them. I am typically not really into vegetarian spots, especially vegan, but that places is really really good. Maoz is also fucking awesome.

I did see that about Federal Donuts. Pretty cool. Out of all the Solomonov (spelling?), Vetri and Starr spots, kind of surprised that is the one that they put down there but cool nonetheless.

I have been there, went shortly after it opened and haven't been back since. Really like it but I remember it being really good and really overpriced. Not sure if that is still the case. Gotta get to that Honey's
  • Options
    Anybody try the Pliny the Younger that only made its way to this great city east of the Mississippi? A buddy of mine tends bar at City Tap House and he hooked me up. It's a travesty they make such a limited amount.

Also it will be in my living room - aka Sidecar - on Friday starting at 3pm. I know where I'll be as soon as work's done.
  • Options
    Anybody try the Pliny the Younger that only made its way to this great city east of the Mississippi? A buddy of mine tends bar at City Tap House and he hooked me up. It's a travesty they make such a limited amount.

Also it will be in my living room - aka Sidecar - on Friday starting at 3pm. I know where I'll be as soon as work's done.

If I don't hit flyers game tomorrow night I could be up for a HH on friday.

good read. should help temper some unrealistic expectations. make sure to read the 1B and RF stuff

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... s-phillies
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    The Fixer wrote:

good read. should help temper some unrealistic expectations. make sure to read the 1B and RF stuff

no one is disagreeing that the Nats are the team to beat and that the Phils and Braves are going to be close to each other. Do you think the Braves are winning over 90 games?

as for the position ranks it's kind of funny that the guy is trying to use projected OPS and Pecota stats for his rankings...but has Adam LaRoche ahead of Ryan Howard when Ryan's projected stats are better in both categories said writer uses for his ranking. :fp: it's almost like saying a team will be lucky to be .500 then predicting 80-84 wins :lol:
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

no one is disagreeing that the Nats are the team to beat and that the Phils and Braves are going to be close to each other. Do you think the Braves are winning over 90 games?

as for the position ranks it's kind of funny that the guy is trying to use projected OPS and Pecota stats for his rankings...but has Adam LaRoche ahead of Ryan Howard when Ryan's projected stats are better in both categories said writer uses for his ranking. :fp: it's almost like saying a team will be lucky to be .500 then predicting 80-84 wins :lol:

I think the braves have a better chance of winning 90 than the phils do

again, you use limited criteria in your evaluations. howard sucks defensively...laroche is good defensively. their offensive projections are similar, so the writer correctly ranks laroche ahead of the big pear.

then again, you think howard is better than joey votto, so you're obviously up past your bedtime when it comes to analysis and thinking realistically
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    The Fixer wrote:

again, you use limited criteria in your evaluations. howard sucks defensively...laroche is good defensively. their offensive projections are similar, so the writer correctly ranks laroche ahead of the big pear.

then again, you think howard is better than joey votto, so you're obviously up past your bedtime when it comes to analysis and thinking realistically

hey i didn't put the stats in the article to rank the guys, the author did. and i thought you sabermetric geeks didn't care about defense.

4 years ago i said ryan was better and he was then. do you really want to go with things said 3 or 4 years ago...where have you gone ross gload?
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

hey i didn't put the stats in the article to rank the guys, the author did. and i thought you sabermetric geeks didn't care about defense.

4 years ago i said ryan was better and he was then. do you really want to go with things said 3 or 4 years ago...where have you gone ross gload?

um, the author mentions defense in the article. :roll:

yeah, you also loved the howard contract when he signed it.

your track record isn't very good
  • Options
    Could be down for a happy hour Friday night, though I'm going to some show at Union Transfer - the woman wants to see Django Django so I got tickets.

On a completely unrelated note - I can't believe there's a guy who pitches with the name Al Albuquerque and that's his real name. Al Albuquerque and Art Charles - best sports names out there right now.
  • Options
    today utley got drilled by strasburg. doc retaliated and threw behind someone

nats are a bunch of punks. just wish the phils had the horses to stick it to them
  • Options

I was thinking about hitting City Tap House saturday afternoon for it, but didn't get done with a bunch of shit in time. Tried getting it Monday at Tria, but no go. How is it?

I saw that Sidecar is having it on Friday. More than a sixtelet?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I was thinking about hitting City Tap House saturday afternoon for it, but didn't get done with a bunch of shit in time. Tried getting it Monday at Tria, but no go. How is it?

I believe so. They're tapping it at 3:30 and I'm sure there will be a line of peeps. There better be some left by the time I get home. In a related note - Sidecar and a bunch of other places are running the craft beer express, as opposed to going the douche route of the erin express (which I'm sure I'll end up on either this or next weekend...or both). And in an even more related note - I'll probably be anchored at Sidecar all weekend - they're running a 3-day "IPA's Greatest Hits" with all 13 (14 including a firkin) taps being rotated each day. So me being an IPA crackhead I probably won't go anywhere else.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VqJ8QIcRKPk/U ... 17_web.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I believe so. They're tapping it at 3:30 and I'm sure there will be a line of peeps. There better be some left by the time I get home. In a related note - Sidecar and a bunch of other places are running the craft beer express, as opposed to going the douche route of the erin express (which I'm sure I'll end up on either this or next weekend...or both). And in an even more related note - I'll probably be anchored at Sidecar all weekend - they're running a 3-day "IPA's Greatest Hits" with all 13 (14 including a firkin) taps being rotated each day. So me being an IPA crackhead I probably won't go anywhere else.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VqJ8QIcRKPk/U ... 17_web.jpg

I saw that. That's a sweet idea. I'll be in Baltimore this weekend. Sucks. People are trying to get a group together for the Erin Express. I haven't done it in a few years
This discussion has been closed.