Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2013 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    :D ahhhhh, felt so nice to hop in my car and here franske and la call the game....but then i get home and turn the tv on and was subjected to wheels and man boobs. ugh.

so nice to utley out there for the first time in a coupe years. dom looked pretty good. giddy up.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ...by the way, how in the hell is michael martinez still on this team?

:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

His father must have saved Ruben Amaro's father's life in Vietnam or something. Only reasonable explanation.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,481

i love the over.

love seeing utley fielding grounders while NOT sitting in a chair... :lol:
    If they stay healthy the 90+ for sure. Really liking the back end of the pen on paper.

Bullpen is the key to the season. 2012 team was probably about the same as the 2008 team, except the 2008 team was 88-0 leading after 8 while the 2012 team lost 17 games leading after 7.

I'd be surprised if this team won 83 games or fewer.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options

His father must have saved Ruben Amaro's father's life in Vietnam or something. Only reasonable explanation.

maybe there is a glitch in the phillies payroll system...

i'm going to start calling him Milton Martinez

milton-office-space.jpg
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,481

maybe there is a glitch in the phillies payroll system...

i'm going to start calling him Milton Martinez

milton-office-space.jpg

Bring in the Bobs to fix the glitch.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Anyone catch Papelbon's performance today? Holy Hannah.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited February 2013

i love the over.

of course you love the over :roll: . What makes you confident that this team can win that many games?

I think they will be lucky to go .500 again.

Looking forward to trading in my PA plates in a few months. Keep right, pass left boys
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    RE: Man boobs

I think this site is horrible, so who knows if this is accurate. Plausible though...I could definitely see the phils trying to keep this quiet since not one person in the greater philadelphia area likes the guy. They are such a half assed organization.

just another reason to not be excited for the season

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2013/02/to ... t-now.html
  • Options
    Anyone hit the jim james show at johnny brendas? I'm sure that was pretty damn cool. Have a wedding the night of the next philly show, but I did land tix for the one in DC.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

I honestly thought he was gone in the off-season. No more of his below mediocrity. I hope we don't have to rely on JMJ this year.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,211
    The Fixer wrote:

i love the over.

of course you love the over :roll: . What makes you confident that this team can win that many games?

Looking forward to trading in my PA plates in a few months. Keep right, pass left boys

well they were .500 last year without their 3rd and 4th hitter for 3 months and one of their stud aces for 6 weeks. hard to think you are not going to get more games and better performances out of those 3 this season.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i love the over.

well they were .500 last year without their 3rd and 4th hitter for 3 months and one of their stud aces for 6 weeks. hard to think you are not going to get more games and better performances out of those 3 this season.

nats had more injuries than the phils last year. and were without strasburg for a while once he got shut down. the injury excuse is a tired cop out. The 2012 phillies were just not a good team.

I don't understand why people think this team will be healthier than they were last year. They didn't get younger, they got older. Older players = more injury prone.

Add in the fact that they have zero depth (at the major or minor league level) and I see an old team with no margin for error. Thanks to the inept GM, they're built to fail
  • Options
    dom brown and tommy joseph have both hit bombs today (browns was to dead center...absolutely crushed). the way he is loading his hands has made his swing a lot shorter and quicker to the ball. Only one game I've seen this spring...hopefully he keeps this approach, they really need him to become an everyday guy

I love my job
  • Options
    i never mentioned at Nats or said they be close to the nats this year. you asked how'd they be better than the 81 wins last year.

if my memory serves me correct they had the 2nd best record in the league after the all-star break when utley and howard were back...so yea those 2 being out for 3 months is just a cop out :roll:

want to wager they are better than .500 this season?
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    i never mentioned at Nats or said they be close to the nats this year. you asked how'd they be better than the 81 wins last year.

if my memory serves me correct they had the 2nd best record in the league after the all-star break when utley and howard were back...so yea those 2 being out for 3 months is just a cop out :roll:

well, the nats had more injuries than the phils. so I brought them up to prove that injuries are a weak excuse since the nats were still able to have the best record in mlb...in spite of having more injuries than a team like the phillies. it's amazing what a well constructed team can overcome

yeah, phils won a bunch of meaningless games after they were all but eliminated. awesome. still couldn't make playoffs even though there was an extra playoff spot and the NL was awful.

I don't bet against philly pro teams.

how many games do you think they win? and why do you think they will be better than 500?
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

well, the nats had more injuries than the phils. so I brought them up to prove that injuries are a weak excuse since the nats were still able to have the best record in mlb...in spite of having more injuries than a team like the phillies. it's amazing what a well constructed team can overcome

yeah, phils won a bunch of meaningless games after they were all but eliminated. awesome. still couldn't make playoffs even though there was an extra playoff spot and the NL was awful.

how many games do you think they win? and why do you think they will be better than 500?

now that's a cop out if i ever saw one :roll:

i see them winning in the 88 range. right around wild card.

do you know how bad you have to be NOT to finish .500 or better? hell as you said they sucked last year and still finished .500. These are the list of teams that finished under .500 in the national league last year...Mets, Marlins, Pirates, Cubs, Astros, Padres and Rockies. Do you honestly think they are going to be as bad as those teams were last year? they still have arguably the best starting staff in the national league.

if you want to say they aren't going to be a playoff team i can see that, but to say they are going to be under .500 i think you are mistaken...again.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

now that's a cop out if i ever saw one :roll:

i see them winning in the 88 range. right around wild card.

do you know how bad you have to be NOT to finish .500 or better? hell as you said they sucked last year and still finished .500. These are the list of teams that finished under .500 in the national league last year...Mets, Marlins, Pirates, Cubs, Astros, Padres and Rockies. Do you honestly think they are going to be as bad as those teams were last year? they still have arguably the best starting staff in the national league.

if you want to say they aren't going to be a playoff team i can see that, but to say they are going to be under .500 i think you are mistaken...again.

what's a cop out? tough to insult someone when you speak in blanket statements

I think they will be somewhere between 80-84 wins. Too many question marks and they are depending on too many old players. can they win 85+ plus? sure. I just think their margin for error is too small. If they lose any key player for a prolonged period of time I don't think they are good/deep enough to overcome that. Given the average age of their roster, it's irrational to expect them to stay healthy for the duration. It could happen, but I don't think it's likely. You can disagree, but I'm basing this assumption on past performance and common sense.

As for having the best rotation in the NL. Well, you're much more sanguine on kendrick/lannan than I am. Both of those pitchers are only effective when they induce weak contact and rely on their defense to make plays. In case you haven't noticed, the phils are going to be pretty awful defensively.

combine all of the above with the fact that all of their core players (sans hamels) are another year past their prime...and the GM struggles to operate in a fashion where he can help this team...and those are some of the many reasons why I think they are going to be on the outside looking in when the playoffs start. Again, I hope I'm wrong but they just aren't in a position to deal with any type of adversity.

Not sure what you were referring to me being wrong about. I have been pretty spot on with my phils analysis over the years around here. You on the other hand, not so much.

Why don't you try to not be so angry and attempt to have an intelligent discussion for once?
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Why don't you try to not be so angry and attempt to have an intelligent discussion for once?

how can i have an intelligent conversation with a person who on one page say this team will be lucky to be .500...then on the next page says he thinks the same team will win 80-84 games? :fp:
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

how can i have an intelligent conversation with a person who on one page say this team will be lucky to be .500...then on the next page says he thinks the same team will win 80-84 games? :fp:

I tried. Dumb of me

Stay angry bro. I actually feel bad for you
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I tried. Dumb of me

not angry at all. just baffled that someone could argue that a team would be lucky to be .500 than predict 80-84 wins. as what i bolded above...you said it about yourself :fp:
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I tried. Dumb of me

not angry at all. just baffled that someone could argue that a team would be lucky to be .500 than predict 80-84 wins. as what i bolded above...you said it about yourself :fp:

they could get lucky and win 81+. I'd prefer to debate something meaningful as opposed to a random number

how do you think they will get into the playoffs? specifically, what will this team do that will enable them to beat out teams like atlanta, SF, LAD, AZ, STL, cincy for one of the WC spots.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I tried. Dumb of me

they could get lucky and win 81+. I'd prefer to debate something meaningful as opposed to a random number

how do you think they will get into the playoffs? specifically, what will this team do that will enable them to beat out teams like atlanta, SF, LAD, AZ, STL, cincy for one of the WC spots.

never said they be in the playoffs. i think they will be right at the threshold of the number of wins for playoffs. how do they get to that number...to me for sure if howard and utley play 130+ games and hamels-halladay-lee make 95% of their proposed starts. easily that's a team that wins over 50% of their games.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

if howard and utley play 130+ games and hamels-halladay-lee make 95% of their proposed starts. easily that's a team that wins over 50% of their games.

well, utley hasn't played 130 games since 2009. is it realistic to think that he's going to reach that number this year? would you even put those odds at 50%?

I think you are ignoring a lot of important facets of a team. Like defense, bench, bullpen, depth/injuries, manager, performance regression due to age, GM, etc...all of which most likely affect this team negatively.

Do you agree that the lineup has been an issue since the 2010 nlcs? If anything it is worse today than it was when they lost to the giants. Their big 3 SPs will mask some of that, but at the end of the day I don't think they will be a good team. They could have the worst OF in MLB...I'd definitely rank it in the bottom third. Same goes for their bench. And their collective team defense (IF and OF).

I look at the roster and I see a bunch of terminal flaws. We all have raj to blame
  • Options
    Oh lord here we go again :roll:
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    nice to see dom and joseph go yard yesterday. dom's was a fucking bomb too....good sign. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    nice to see dom and joseph go yard yesterday. dom's was a fucking bomb too....good sign. :mrgreen:

from yesterday...

dom brown and tommy joseph have both hit bombs today (browns was to dead center...absolutely crushed). the way he is loading his hands has made his swing a lot shorter and quicker to the ball. Only one game I've seen this spring...hopefully he keeps this approach, they really need him to become an everyday guy

I love my job

Now...why are you so confident that this team will win 84+? (besides the obvious blind loyalty)
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    what's the word on utley?

i'm into my contract year with prado and need to trade him ...

options are utley, uggla or ackley
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

from yesterday...

I love my job

Now...why are you so confident that this team will win 84+? (besides the obvious blind loyalty)

well hello, fixer. why did you need me to reply to your post in particular? sorry i missed it. :?

real quick...blind loyalty? :lol: you're funny. didn't you say around 84 wins? i think 85-88 or so is within reason. we're not that far off. figure the same production out of hamels and lee...plus a full year of halladay at 80% of his former self is an improvement. pen was much improved down the stretch last year. toss in adams and it should be better this year.

howard and utley not missing half the season will obvioulsy be an improvement. should get more production out of young than what we had last year. nobody is expecting the 2011 version of him, but it's not unrealistic to expect his numbers to be closer to his career averages.

outfield is obvioulsy a huge question mark. i like revere. gotta hope brown or ruff break out.

at least 3 more wins than last year is not some off the wall prediction. definitely a flawed team. but should be in mix for wildcard spot....i look at this as transitional year. i think it was you who said they do not have much margin for error. agreed. we shall see.

anyone see murphy's article this morning? compared asche to chase. gotta like that.

go. phils.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,797
    polaris_x wrote:
    what's the word on utley?

i'm into my contract year with prado and need to trade him ...

options are utley, uggla or ackley

I haven't seen nearly enough of Ackley, though I like the way he swings the bat. Uggla will give you pop but that's about it.

I don't know how your deal works but if its shot-term thing then go with Utley. Personally, I think he's just fine. I think the dude has 2-3 years of solid everyday play left in him.

As for prediction on how many wins this teams gets this year, I don't see how they don't win 90 - and I say that barring being plagued with injuries across the board (ie major injuries to major playes like last year - Howard, Utley, Halladay, etc). If the over/under is 85, then I like the over big time.

This team blew, what, something like 17 games from the 7th inning on. I know it was 13 that they blew the lead in from the 8th on. And that's ridiculous. This team played like absolute garbage last year and STILL won 81 games. Getting to 85 should be expected by this team. Atlanta is absolutely overrated. I think they got worse.

Maybe Young can't field the best, but now you have an infield you're suppose to rely on every day, the rotation I believe will be fine, and adding Adams in the setup role is hugely underrated. This team, like I said barring catostrophic injuries comparable to last year, should win at least - AT LEAST - 89, 90 wins.

And love Dom Brown this year. From everything I've hear/read him say I think he's ready. And I definitely like his swing - more compact, no excessive movement, keeps his hands back loaded. Looks good. The worst thing they can do is not throw him out there everyday and put D. Young back in whenever he's healthy. That'd be an awful decision. Young should be playing left, along with Nix/whatever slop you want to put there. Ruf may be ready and maybe he's not. I don't get how people are more convinced Ruf is major lague-ready over Brown. Again, maybe he'll hit 30 bombs, maybe he won't. But I'm perfectly comforatble keeping him in AAA - or let him play in the Majors, whatever - over not playing Brown everyday.
This discussion has been closed.