Options

The Italian Leg

Comments

• Options
    ChrysophylaxChrysophylax Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 101
    anyone else up for staying in youth hostels or somewhere really cheap? i can't really afford to pay out for a hotel, and would much prefer to have more drinking money ;)

Won´t we all:-)

I have absolutely no idea how or where to stay, but I´m pretty sure it´ll all work itself out nicely when you get there - it always does:-)

If you want some help with finding hostels try http://www.lonelyplanet.com - usually people are very helpful in their forums.
    '00: London, Roskilde
    '06: San Francisco I-II-III, The Gorge I-II
    '06: Bern, Bologna, Verona, Milan, Turin, Pistoia
    '07: Copenhagen
    '09: Berlin
    '10: Berlin
    '12: Amsterdam I-II
    '14: Milan, Berlin
    '16: EV at Heartland Festival
    '18: Krakow, Berlin 
    '22: Berlin, Zürich, Copenhagen, Amsterdam I-II
  • Options
    ChrysophylaxChrysophylax Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 101
    Have no idea what that equate's to in £ but seems like a good option to me. So long as I don't lose or forget the ticket like I did my London Tube card!! :D

Def worth it if you have more drinking money I reckon :D

Divide by about 1,5 give or take a bit, so somewhere around 120£ I reckon
    '00: London, Roskilde
    '06: San Francisco I-II-III, The Gorge I-II
    '06: Bern, Bologna, Verona, Milan, Turin, Pistoia
    '07: Copenhagen
    '09: Berlin
    '10: Berlin
    '12: Amsterdam I-II
    '14: Milan, Berlin
    '16: EV at Heartland Festival
    '18: Krakow, Berlin 
    '22: Berlin, Zürich, Copenhagen, Amsterdam I-II
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Divide by about 1,5 give or take a bit, so somewhere around 120£ I reckon

Yep just checked on some currency converter thingy and it said £120. Not bad.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Keithos wrote:
    I'm thinking of flying to Milan on the 12 from Paris, then getting the train to Bologna... the flight is only €0.16 at the moment... (I love them special offers)

Is anyone else going to Italy from paris?

:eek:
    WOW.that's amazing!
    you europeans can often travel sooo cheaply betwwen neighboring countries, it's a beautiful thing. sadly not the same for us americans, country is just too damn big - can only travel somewhat cheaply at home, and even then, not always.

however, lucky me, free airmiles. :) i will definitely just fly to bologna then, why not, it's not costing anything. otherwise, even thru cheapair flights are pretty pricey from NY to europe.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Well, we're mostly booked up now (or at least have an itinerary sorted)
    So I thought I'd share what we've come up with so far, and hopefully make some of the planning a little easier for some of you.

Flights
    from Stanstead to Bologna Thurs 14th Sept - Arrive 10.20
    from Bologna to Stanstead Thurs 21st Sept - Depart 22.30
    Total cost for two - £160 (inc taxes and insurance)
    We could have got cheaper by flying from Luton to Milan (£58 inc taxes, excl insurance), but that would mean going a day earlier and travelling to Bologna/back from Pistoia
    http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/

Sorted out the trains too :)... It worked out cheaper to get individual tickets, rather than the 6 day pass (and we even chose 1st class, as it's £16 difference between 1st and 2nd). Only thing with doing it that way is we'll have to book each trip between the cities seperately (n.b. earliest you can buy online tickets for trains is two months before the date you intend to travel, so we can't book ours till 22nd July) - all costs below are in GBP, for two people travelling 1st class.

12/09/06 Depart Bologna 12.01 - Arrive Verona 14.12 - £30.13
    17/09/06 Depart Verona 12.57 - Arrive Milan 15.45 - £16.21
    19/09/06 Depart Milan 12.18 - Arrive Torino 14.10 - £17.43
    20/09/06 Depart Torino 09.05 - Arrive Pistoia 14.10 - £51.39
    21/09/06 Depart Pistoia 17.12 - Arrive Bologna 18.40 - £17.31
    Total cost for two people - £132.47 (191.54 euros)
    http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

That gives us a bit of spare time in Verona and Milan, for the missus to do "non-PJ things" (whatever those are ;) ), and be a bit touristy.

Now we just need to peruse and book hostels, which shouldn't be too much of a hassle - http://www.ostellionline.org/ostello.php?idostello=540
    ...London Doesn't Call Anymore... (rip joe)

Yes, I have been to some Pearl Jam concerts. Several of them.
  • Options
    question!

Looks like I got seat tickets for milano and torino , how easy is it in these venues to just walk into the general admission floor area? or am I going to have to sell these and find general admission tickets? and if thats the case anyone want to trade?
    I got one in the back of the place tickets for verona- if anyone has a better seat spare ticket Id like to take it off your hands!

I havent been back to Italy in 16 years, this is going to rock :-)
    doing all 5!
  • Options
    jeaubongjeaubong Posts: 132
    So I thought I'd share what we've come up with so far, and hopefully make some of the planning a little easier for some of you.

Flights
    We could have got cheaper by flying from Luton to Milan (£58 inc taxes, excl insurance), but that would mean going a day earlier and travelling to Bologna/back from Pistoia

Sorted out the trains too :)... It worked out cheaper to get individual tickets, rather than the 6 day pass (and we even chose 1st class, as it's £16 difference between 1st and 2nd). Only thing with doing it that way is we'll have to book each trip between the cities seperately (n.b. earliest you can buy online tickets for trains is two months before the date you intend to travel, so we can't book ours till 22nd July) - all costs below are in GBP, for two people travelling 1st class.

That gives us a bit of spare time in Verona and Milan, for the missus to do "non-PJ things" (whatever those are ;) ), and be a bit touristy.

Now we just need to peruse and book hostels, which shouldn't be too much of a hassle - http://www.ostellionline.org/ostello.php?idostello=540
    Great stuff. Thanks.
    "\O/"
    ` | '
    _/ \_
  • Options
    I'd already arranged to be staying near to Florence in September and managed to get 10 club tickets for the Pistoia show :D. We won't have time to drive to the other shows but wouldn't mind meeting people at Pistioa.

Decides2 dream...are you going to Pistoia too?? :):)
    One day the world will be ready for you
    and wonder how they didn't see it...E
  • Options
    I'd already arranged to be staying near to Florence in September and managed to get 10 club tickets for the Pistoia show :D. We won't have time to drive to the other shows but wouldn't mind meeting people at Pistioa.

Decides2 dream...are you going to Pistoia too?? :):)

excellent. yes, all 5 italian dates. we MUST meet up! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    *bump*

so what's the plan? :p
    where is everyone staying? trains between cities? what....? :D

anyone arriving in bologna early? i need to book my flights soon, have to figure out what i want to do....hmmm........
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    I checked on a flight Columbus-Milan leaving on Tuesday September 12 and coming back on September 19, and I got slightly more than 600, which is great. On Orbits.

Remember, Tuesday departures/returns are the cheapest generally.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387

Flights

I hope that trip from Bologna to Verona is a typo, or you havent got tix for Bologna, which is on the 14th!

I land at Bologna on the 13th at 18.00. (Manchester to Gatwick to Bologna, return the same)

No trains or hotel sorted out yet, longer I leave it the more of a teenage adventure it feels like!

Surely you can turn up at a station and buy a ticket? Dont think theres much more than 2 or 3 hrs between cities.
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    I checked on a flight Columbus-Milan leaving on Tuesday September 12 and coming back on September 19, and I got slightly more than 600, which is great. On Orbits.

Remember, Tuesday departures/returns are the cheapest generally.

nice tip!
    cheapair.com is a great resource too - haha, just rembered, you're the one who gave me that tip! i was looking at a monday departure out of JFK but to bologna - change in rome - and return on a friday or saturday, and i think it quoted me $800. i don't remember now. luckily though, i shall be flying for free....airmiles donated. :D yea me. i am more curious who will be in bologna when.....and just general plans for hotels and such, be nice to get a bunch of us together.

danmac - i actually met pjammin' in person in NYC for the irving plaza show - and we talked about you swapping tix, and all that.....just a small pj world. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    danmacdanmac Posts: 387
    haha cool...small world indeed!
    A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects
    are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider
    god-fearing and pious: Aristotle

Viva Zapatista!
  • Options
    I really need to sort transport for this part of the tour. I was looking at flights but actually need to think about booking flights for all the shows I'm seeing. Someone needs to kick my arse I think :D

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    WashMyLoveWashMyLove Posts: 804
    Hopefully if all goes well...My friends and I will be attending Milan,Verona and Bologna. i have to brush on my italian. but hey if you can give us any advise on where to site see, eat, stay and hang out before the show...Let us know.

I can't wait...First time on the other side of earth.
  • Options
    jeaubongjeaubong Posts: 132
    not many italianos have posted here...do they have their own forum?
    "\O/"
    ` | '
    _/ \_
  • Options
    ScotInAmsterdamScotInAmsterdam Posts: 1,004
    I got a phone call from fed ex at 7am(That's 6am in the UK) this morning.... They wanted to know where to send a package that was getting delivered from Italy... initially I was annoyed at having to speak dutch that early in the morning... but it looks like some Italian Pearl jam tickets should be on my desk aroudn lunchtime today.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    I really need to sort transport for this part of the tour. I was looking at flights but actually need to think about booking flights for all the shows I'm seeing. Someone needs to kick my arse I think :D

Check out AMENt TO THAT's tour bus - travel and lodging - maybe for the italian bit?
  • Options
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/furbyx4/143437671/

only one small problem... I ordered tickets to verona.... they are bologna
  • Options

Oops! :(:(:(:(
  • Options
    That italian site is useless.... it's laughable...
  • Options

They are beautiful :D I want mine dammit!!

did they arrive them and you didn't order them or what?!!

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    I ordered Verona and they send me Bologna... there's no customer service phone number.. I sent an email... but I'm sure it's just an innocent mistake that can't be solved... or am I taking Italian stereotypes too far????

I may be looking to swap Bologna for Verona...

This Pearl Jam summer has had so many hurdles..that I'm not even getting excited or down anymore... we'll just see what happens.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    or am I taking Italian stereotypes too far????

I may be looking to swap Bologna for Verona...

Good luck dealing with Italian customer disservice :(

swapping may be your best bet at this point.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    "we have make the control and in your order details and you have bought
    the tickets for bologna so you receive the correct tickets"

The truth is... I ordered one set of verona tickets... it showed up as two sets in the order history... I thought... sneaky Italian bastards(In no way should anyone take this offensively... it's them that are playing to the sterotype) getting more money on my visa than I asked for.. but thought nothing of it, as I had two extra mates that wanted tickets... at no point did I have bologna tickets in my basket... now when I check the order confirmations... it seems i have two for verona and two for Bologna.... so I have to either swap to get my mates(Who I had offered tickets to) going... or I get rid of two bologna tickets and settle for just going with Fraser - he's always so quiet at concerts... I was hoping for better company...

All in all it would appear that the verona tickets come as a special offer on ticketone.it... buy two verona tickets and get two bologna tickets free.... well not free... we charge-a-you-a-for-a- ee ticket... but a you get special deal....
  • Options
    puschnijepuschnije Posts: 95
    you say it... this ticketone side is so crap.... they got on my nerves as well!!

just hope i will get the right tickets... a bit worrying after your posts!!

when your mates still want to go to Verona.... there are still Standing tickets avaiable at winticket.it... just bought them a few days ago!
  • Options
    puschnije wrote:
    you say it... this ticketone side is so crap.... they got on my nerves as well!!

just hope i will get the right tickets... a bit worrying after your posts!!

when your mates still want to go to Verona.... there are still Standing tickets avaiable at winticket.it... just bought them a few days ago!

excellent.. I'll pass that info along... I'm fed up trying to help my mates get tickets... as soon as Pearl Jam start touring.... everyone is your best mate... my visa card has taken about 28 tickets... then I have to pay it off bit by bit while feeling like the bad man cos I'm asking people for money..... ticketone just make it worse.... it's bad enough that I've got to tell people that they can't go now... but what if I'd taken money...

sorry for the rant.. I'm actually not that pissed off... I have a ticket... so I don;t really care baout other people any more.. I just laugh at how companies can't handle concerts of this magnitude even though they have plenty practice... and to think we pay admin charges!!! My order history shows me as making two orders with an order number around 50 apart and a time of about 30 minutes apart.... they have a system that that can only process 50 orders in 30 minutes... it gives you an idea of why there are blockages...

I really shouldn't post after a long day of work...

I'm going to verona and Milan so am very happy.... see you all there....
  • Options
    What a bummer Neil... You may be able to swap but I can understand you are putting yourself at the forefront now!

It's not Friday but it seems it would do you good to have a couple of your favourites at http://www.cafegollem.nl/ !

(Maybe the worst part of it is having to go with only Fraser - just kidding!)
  • Options
    hmmmmm.. the gollem is a possibility... but I kind of promised myself to stay away from there mid week... it has no terrace, and I'm off to the pictures anyway...

with the weather like this... I'm stress free... I just urge you to check every bit of small print and every bit of every transactions when dealing with Italian sites... if thats too stereotypical please send all complaints to [email]info@ticketone.it.........they[/email] are the ones that fabricate the stereotype..... the other side of the coin is that the german site I ordered tickets from is problem free all the way and the tickets have arrived like clockwork just like their trains.... if any germans want to complain about that stereotype.... fuck off... it was complimentary... complain to info@db.de that they are doing their job properly....they are the ones that fabricate the stereotype.