Options

******** YOUR PHILADELPHIA EAGLES ********

Comments

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,485
    JK_Livin said:
    sucks about lane....

and that guy's full of shit:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    not that it matters, but still kinda cool to see shady ranked as the 5th best player in the league by his peers. absolutely love watching this guy play. lots of sanders comparisons....

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Nightmare-LeSean-McCoy-draws-comparisons-to-Barry-Sanders-from-his-peers.html

'Nightmare' LeSean McCoy draws comparisons to Barry Sanders from his peers

In NFL Network's Top 100 list, which is an annual poll conducted by the NFL in which players vote on their peers, LeSean McCoy finished as the fifth best player in the NFL. However, more interesting than his placement among other NFL stars, in my opinion, are the words of his peers.

Several of the Eagles' 2013 opponents compared LeSean McCoy to former Lions great Barry Sanders. NFL's "Top 100" video of McCoy is available on their website, but here is what McCoy's peers had to say about him.

"His vision, his moves… He’s a nightmare. I remember personally, playing against the Eagles, he jumped in the hole, he (saw) me in the hole, he (stiff-armed) me, jumped back out of the hole, and ran for 10 yards. The first guy is always going to miss, the second guy is going to miss him, and possibly a third guy is going to miss, so all 11 guys have to run to the football. Sometimes all 11 guys miss. He's like a Barry Sanders. He’s all of that in one."

- Tyrann Mathieu, S, Cardinals

"I ain’t seen anyone pull moves like that since Barry. That’s a high thing to say. Now I’m not saying he’s up there, but I’ll say he’s got some moves. He’ll leave you in the dirt."

- Danny Trevathian, LB, Broncos

"He’s a modern day Barry Sanders. I haven’t seen a guy like that probably since him. He just stands in one spot and moves his feet side to side and everybody just falling off him, and he’ll go. You can’t guess with that guy, because if you get out of your gap, he’s right back where you were just standing. You’ve seen your Marshall Faulks, and those guys, these Hall of Famers. That’s who he’s on his way to be. I think in five or six years, maybe 10 years if they re-do the most elusive backs of all time, I think he’ll be in there."

- Gerald McCoy, DT, Buccaneers

"It’s almost like a video game. He’s playing basketball on the football field. Speed, vision, agility, He doesn’t need a wide hole. All he needs is a little crack and he can take it 80 yards."

- Ryan Mundy, S, Bears

"It’s like watching Shady McCoy on the basketball court. You’re trying to go for tackles, and he’ll just juke you like Allen Iverson."

- Jamaal Charles, RB, Chiefs

"Check out his Twitter feed. His Twitter name is ‘cut on a dime’ for a reason. He’s able to cut and accelerate and get north and make guys miss in space and still be at top speed. I think (that) is a tremendous attribute to have and he’s probably the best in the league at that."

- Fred Jackson, RB, Bills

"When we play the Eagles it’s all about contain, contain, contain, contain. Set the edges, and keep that dude in the middle of the field. And the problem for us is, we’re trying to defend it, and they run the read option. And we don’t know if it was supposed to be a give, or if he was supposed to go right or supposed to go left, so as a defense we try to look at blocking schemes and say, ‘Yo, this is the play.’ But when you have LeSean McCoy in the backfield, you don’t know what the play is and you don’t know how to study it. That makes him a very dangerous weapon."

- Mark Herzlich, LB, Giants

"He has amazing vision. LeSean will aim for a certain point in the defense and he’ll start heading that way, and he’s just doing that to bait them, and he cuts it back, and boom, he’s gone downfield."

- Evan Mathis, OG, Eagles

"He’s got that good old ‘spidey sense.’ There’s no real way to really attack this guy, all you can kind of do is keep inching forward, and not take any of the bait that he gives you, because he’s a nightmare."

- Darryl Tapp, DE, Lions

"The things that he does on the field are just ridiculous. He can turn a five yard loss into a 60 yard touchdown. He can catch the ball out of the backfield. He showed this year that he can stick his head down there and get the tough yards, and he’s emerging as a leader. And I think that's the type of guy you want around your team."

- Jeremy Maclin, WR, Eagles

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Nightmare-LeSean-McCoy-draws-comparisons-to-Barry-Sanders-from-his-peers.html#XqPD4PHwIgLOFTDD.99
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i love this shit. some insight into how kelly and the coaching staff are running things nowadays at novacare complex---great read:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20140720_Eagles__Chip_Kelly_a_stickler_for_discipline.html#ijV3KHxMqA0mFBpf.99
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    why are people talking about this bissinger piece all of a sudden? yes it was poorly written....but the magazine came out almost a month ago. just something to pass the time till camp opens i guess......and camp opens THIS WEEKEND!!!! wooo
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

why are people talking about this bissinger piece all of a sudden? yes it was poorly written....but the magazine came out almost a month ago. just something to pass the time till camp opens i guess......and camp opens THIS WEEKEND!!!! wooo

How can you have a cover story of a guy that you didn't even interview, then insult your subject?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

How can you have a cover story of a guy that you didn't even interview, then insult your subject?
    yeah it was bad. and I don't see anything wrong with foles, seemingly, having a good head on his shoulders anyway. it was almost as if buzz was criticizing him for just that. weird article all around.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Didn't read it but sounds like it was buzz being buzz. A phenomenal writer but a god damn lunatic
  • Options

Didn't read it but sounds like it was buzz being buzz. A phenomenal writer but a god damn lunatic

this was not his best work. one of his worst, actually.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659

this was not his best work. one of his worst, actually.

I can imagine. He hasn't written anything worthwhile in a while
  • Options
    peter king came away from nova care impressed...

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/28/monday-morning-qb-nfl-training-camps/

Philadelphia Eagles
    Saturday, July 26
    Eagles facility, Philadelphia
    Chip Kelly, unplugged

I’ve had only two extended conversations with Kelly since he was named coach of the Eagles 19 months ago. To say I know him well would be folly. But I’m starting to get a feel for him. Before his first training camp practice of the season on Saturday, we spent time in his office, and when we parted, I thought how much he reminded me of Jimmy Johnson when Johnson entered the league 25 years ago. Respectful of the other coaches and teams, but they aren’t going to dictate what he’s going to do. Totally confident that his style will work in the NFL. Unlike Johnson, Kelly’s not brash on the outside. Like Johnson, he knows deep down his way will win. Johnson brought a small, fast defense into a league that was going bigger and bigger. It worked. Kelly brings a fast-break offense from Oregon, and in the second half of the season, with different personnel groupings and a quarterback who could keep it all straight, the team went 7-1.
    Chip Kelly is back for year two after leading the Eagles to a 10-6 record and NFC East division title in his first season as head coach. (Michael Perez/AP)Chip Kelly is back for year two after leading the Eagles to a 10-6 record and NFC East division title in his first season as head coach. (Michael Perez/AP)

He also is the kind of guy who … I’ll put it this way. Imagine Ford was getting stale making cars (imagine that!), and execs there pursued a Honda VP to rejuvenate the company, and in the interview the Honda guy said five or six things that made the Ford team think, “Why didn’t we think of that?” That’s Kelly.

A few interesting points about year one of Kelly’s Eagles, from Neil Hornsby and Nathan Jahnke of Pro Football Focus. Nick Foles is so much more a Kelly quarterback than Mike Vick was. Last year, Foles led all NFL quarterbacks with a 131.8 rating when blitzed. Vick’s rating: 78.4. That says Foles can think quickly under pressure, and a Kelly passer also has to think quickly because the offense is moving fast anyway.

Jahnke unearthed a great one here: The Eagles, particularly with 2013 rookie Zack Ertz, got great at multiple tight end packages. In the first half of the season, they used one back and two tight ends 17 percent of the time. In the second half, they used one back and two tights 33.4 percent of the time. Ertz contributed four regular-season touchdowns, all in the second half of the season. Now, Brent Celek, Ertz and James Casey are in their second year in the new offense, and they’ll be better—and more productive, most likely.

Finally: The line learned on the run as the season went on, and was superb in the second half. The five offensive linemen allowed 199 quarterback disruptions (sacks, knockdowns or pressure) in the first eight games, only 57 in the last eight.

On the practice field Saturday, Darren Sproles was running around from three spots—the backfield, the slot, out wide. Big target Matthews worked with the second unit—maybe not for long. DeSean Jackson will be missed, but as The MMQB’s Greg Bedard said watching the workout: “No one person will replace Jackson. Chip’s scheme will.”

It’s going to be a fascinating year two. If the Eagles continue the fast-track of the last two months of last season, Seattle, San Francisco, Green Bay and New Orleans are going to have competition for late January football in the NFC.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,296
    so apparently the refs will be putting more emphasis on the 5 yard chuck rule and will be calling the hands on receivers even more closely. another reason to throw throw throw the ball.

and just like last year fucking love Cary Williams for calling out the cheating scumbag that is Bill Belichick and saying how he hates practicing with those fuckers. love it.
  • Options
    you guys see collinsworth pick the birds for the super bowl last night?
    http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2014/8/4/5966529/super-bowl-prediction-cris-collinsworth-philadelphia-eagles

I can't wait to see some actual football on friday and not just camp highlights....even if the first game is brutal to watch.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    Football is loooooong overdue. Cannot wait for the end of this month, our league's draft, trip to DC in December, all of it. Just get fucking football here already.
  • Options
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,259

:-bd

I don't mind the uniforms now but the Kelly green ones were much better.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Sounds like it's only to be an anternate. Which is fucking stupid.

Make the switch completely. I don't need a complete return to those 80's/90's uni's, but something that's a mix between them and the 60's/ones they wore in 2010 would be sweet. And bring back the full spread-eagle. I'll save you all the trouble - or I'll give 'em all a spread eagle.
  • Options
    There is some type of rule about the helmet that is holding it up. Right now they'd have to wear the midnight helmet with kelly unis.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

There is some type of rule about the helmet that is holding it up. Right now they'd have to wear the midnight helmet with kelly unis.

Right. But doesn't the Pats still do the 80's throwback unis since that rule went into effect?
  • Options
    how difficult is it to make a 2nd helmet with the same safety standards?

if/when they can do the kelly alternate---hopefully that is a stepping stone to a permanent change. the bills did something similar, if i'm not mistaken. now they have one of the coolest uni's in all of sports. the midnight green and black is so late 90's
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014

if/when they can do the kelly alternate---hopefully that is a stepping stone to a permanent change. the bills did something similar, if i'm not mistaken. now they have one of the coolest uni's in all of sports. the midnight green and black is so late 90's

I overheard Les Bowen talking to Smolenski at practice the other day and they were talking about not just the uniforms would have to change but all the scenery in midnight green as well. They just did stadium upgrades that have midnight green all over. Not an easy switch. Sure I'd like it but they have to look at the big picture.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

I overheard Les Bowen talking to Smolenski at practice the other day and they were talking about not just the uniforms would have to change but all the scenery in midnight green as well. They just did stadium upgrades that have midnight green all over. Not an easy switch. Sure I'd like it but they have to look at the big picture.
    all that merchandise they would sell would make it worth their while long term, I would think. i'm not going to give up on this dream!

can't wait to see mathews tonight...

BIRDS!!!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

yeah mine came yesterday :)

not a hue fan of pre season but i'll watch it
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    There were some positives and negatives for the first game. :|

Just glad football is back! :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    THIS TEAM SUCKS!! FIRE KELLY!!
  • Options

THIS TEAM SUCKS!! FIRE KELLY!!

if feel like certain people were legitimately saying that in here after last year's first preseason game. haha

BEAU ALLEN.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,296
    I think this is going to be one of the more intriguing seasons for the Eagles in a long time. was last year fluke where so many things went right or was it the start of a really good to great run? still lots of questions whether it could go either way. sometimes an unexpected big season can give a franchise a boost that carries them into a great run (see eagles 2000, phils 2007) but just as often ends up being just a fluke (see redskins 2012 to 2013). so many questions to be answered. is nick foles a legitimate top flight NFL qb who can lead this team to years of victories and playoff wins or was last year a case of right place right time? can the offense still be high quality without their best deep threat and 82 catch receiver? can said receiver be replaced with a guy with a bulky knee and rookies and/or can the offense be tweaked enough to still be effective without him? can McCoy remain healthy at a position that careers average just 3 years? can an aging but effective offensive line stay healthy once again? if not can, in what seems like a weakness, can the backups play effectively enough? does the 1st place schedule vs. last year's last place schedule make a difference? was the defense really better and good enough to make a run or was it a by product of bad teams and backup qbs in the 2nd half of the season last year? obviously all those questions above will lead to where this season and possibly the next few end up but I really can see a scenario this year where the Birds could go anywhere from 6-10/7-9 to 11-5/12-4. I'm not sure I'd be surprised by either scenario. it really hasn't been like this since 2000-2001 for the Eagles. very intriguing and interesting to see where this is headed.

PS: put me on the contrary list but not a fan of the Kelly Green uniforms at all. not a fan of the color. prefer darker colors. think the kelly green look like ugly women's pajamas.
  • Options
    Tom O.
    -The Writer