Options

Mad Season 'Above' Deluxe Edition and LP Info

BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
edited May 2013 in The Porch
Deluxe Edition avaibable for pre-order in PJ's Shop

http://pearljam.com/goods/product_info. ... ts_id=1556

LEGACY RECORDINGS ANNOUNCES NEWLY EXPANDED
DELUXE EDITION OF ABOVE, THE MYTHIC DEBUT & SOLE STUDIO ALBUM FROM SEATTLE ROCK SUPERGROUP MAD SEASON

Extras Include Unreleased Tracks From Band's Unfinished Second Album
With New Lyrics Penned & Sung By Mark Lanegan
+ First DVD Release of Mad Season's Last Concert Performance, Live at The Moore

Mad Season – Above Deluxe Edition
Available Tuesday April 2, 2013

Pre-order Begins January 7, 2013

12" Vinyl available on April 20, 2013 for Record Store Day

Legacy Recordings -- the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment -- will release a newly expanded Deluxe Edition of Above, the first and only album to be completed by Seattle-based rock supergroup Mad Season. Formed in 1994, Mad Season is vocalist Layne Staley (Alice In Chains), guitarist Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), drummer/percussionist Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees) and bassist John Baker Saunders (The Walkabouts, Lamont Cranston Band).

The Deluxe Edition of Mad Season's Above is a three-disc set comprised of two CDs and one DVD. It includes the original studio album and a host of extras such as previously unreleased tracks from the band's unfinished second album with new lyrics and vocals by Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees), full audio plus the first official DVD release of Mad Season's last show ever performed - Live At The Moore, an unreleased full concert video of the band's New Year's Eve performance from now-defunct Seattle club RKCNDY, a full-color collector's booklet and more (full details below).

Preorders for the Above Deluxe Edition begin on January 7, 2013 at select retailers. The Deluxe Edition, and a separate digital configuration, will be available Tuesday, April 2, 2013. In addition, there will be a 12" 2LP expanded edition vinyl available on Record Store Day, April 20, 2013.

Content featured in the Above Deluxe Edition will be available through iTunes with audio mastered for iTunes and a separate standalone longplay video.

Mad Season
In 1994, four Seattle-based musicians decided to embark on a side-project that took them into new and different musical territory. Formed by Mike McCready, Layne Staley, Barrett Martin, and bluesman John Baker Saunders, the group went on to form Mad Season, which made one seminal album in the history of Seattle rock. That album, Above was released in 1995 and immediately struck a resonate chord with the public that sent the album into gold status within a few weeks. It is the only complete album of Layne Staley's introspective and mystical lyrics, which were highlighted by additional vocals from Screaming Trees vocalist Mark Lanegan and Seattle-based saxophonist/percussionist Skerik.

Mad Season was essentially Seattle's version of an extremely heavy blues band, anchored by the deep swinging rhythm section of Barrett's drums and Baker's bass lines, with Layne's haunting melodies and Mike's stadium-size guitar riffs soaring over the top. This unusual chemistry made the band absolutely unique in an era of post-grunge. In the almost 20 years since the original release of Above, new generations of music listeners have discovered the dark and lasting beauty of Mad Season.

In 1996, work began on a second Mad Season album with Mike, Barrett and Baker writing and recording the basic tracks for 15 new songs. Unfortunately, because of declining health, Layne wasn't able to make any of the recording sessions and the album was shelved. Fate subsequently took each musician in a different direction: Mike back to Pearl Jam and Barrett back to Screaming Trees. Tragically, both Baker (1999) and Layne (2002) passed away.

In 2012, the two remaining band members, Mike and Barrett, along with Above's original producer Brett Eliason, convened in Seattle to sift through the original magnetic tapes from that second album's sessions to revisit the unfinished songs. They called on Mark Lanegan to pen lyrics and sing on 3 of the best of those songs, including one co-written by Peter Buck of REM, which will be featured on the forthcoming reissue honoring the legacy of Layne and Baker.

Tracklisting for 3-disc Mad Season Above Deluxe Edition

CD1 – Above tracklist
- Wake Up
- X-Ray Mind
- River of Deceit
- I'm Above
- Artificial Red
- Lifeless Dead
- I Don't Know Anything
- Long Gone Day
- November Hotel
- All Alone

PLUS bonus tracks:
- Interlude (previously unreleased)
- Locomotive (Lyrics/vocals by Mark Lanegan)
- Black Book Of Fear (Lyrics/vocals by Mark Lanegan)
- Slip Away (Lyrics/vocals by Mark Lanegan)
- I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier (remix)

CD2 - Live at The Moore
- Previously unreleased full audio set of Live at The Moore performance from Seattle, WA, April 29, 1995.
- Includes "Wake Up" "Artificial Red" "I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier" "I'm Above" (featuring Mark Lanegan).

DVD - Live at The Moore + Bonus Footage
- Full video set of the Live at The Moore performance from Seattle, WA performance, April 29, 1995. Remixed and remastered for 5.1 sound, and newly edited by director Duncan Sharp.
- Plus, more bonus footage, including a full concert of the band's performance from New Years Eve 1995 at RKCNDY in Seattle, and both performances from the Seattle-based Self-Pollution Radio specials, one newly edited.

http://www.madseasonmusic.com

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Hmmm, no vinyl yet.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,853
    Hmmm, no vinyl yet.

:think:
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Thx! all over this...guessing the DVD is the 4/29/95 Moore Show

waiting on Vinyl too!
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,123
    I'll wait till they reissue it for 1/2 the price. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Is really necessary to pre order this. I mean relase date is in April...that is so far away. I hate paying something and waiting for 5 month :?
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
  • Options
    tinz.tinz. Posts: 2,691
    will there be a vinyl issue?
    EV~Toronto Night 2 - 2008
    Toronto - 2009
    NYC Night 2 - 2010
    Toronto Night 2 - 2011
    Music Midtown, Atlanta - 2012
    London,ON - 2013
    Wrigley Field, Chicago - 2013
    Buffalo - 2013
    Charlottesville - 2013
    Charlotte - 2013
    Detroit - 2014
    Ottawa - 2016
    Toronto Night 1&2 - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2016
    EV~Dana Point CA - 2016
    Wrigley Field 1, Chicago - 2018
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    Waiting for vinyl too
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    Thx! all over this...guessing the DVD is the 4/29/95 Moore Show

waiting on Vinyl too!

Hopefully the DVD contains the entire Moore show and not just the edited version released on VHS. Guess we will find out soon. Website says more info to come in 2013.
  • Options
    so are they going to allow people to cancel this order if/when they announce plans for a super deluxe with the vinyl and book and memoribilia?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    so are they going to allow people to cancel this order if/when they announce plans for a super deluxe with the vinyl and book and memoribilia?

Was wondering the same thing...
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 913
    vinyl ...vinyl vinyllllllllllllllllll

Yes please!

:D
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Waiting for the LP! ;)
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    If I knew nothing else was coming out I would be all over this. Until I hear confirmation that there will be no vinyl or anything else special. I can wait. 4/13 is awhile away. :corn:
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    No way Im ordering this when it comes out 5 months from now...the world ends Friday anyways.. :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
  • Options
    Must resist. Super deluxe on the way (hopefully). :mrgreen:

Bring on the wax!!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,918
    *preorder placed

Can't say no to Mad Season + $3.30 shipping to Canada :D
  • Options
    ps .. hopefully they have a Blu-ray released version for sale aswell. :angel:
  • Options
    Is really necessary to pre order this. I mean relase date is in April...that is so far away. I hate paying something and waiting for 5 month :?
    It actually says in the description that cards will be charged within three weeks of the release date...
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    It actually says in the description that cards will be charged within three weeks of the release date...

Of the purchase date. Right after New Years.
  • Options
    jamburger wrote:

Of the purchase date. Right after New Years.
    I stand corrected.

Just another reason to not preorder from the 10C :?
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539

vinyl vinyl vinyl vinyl vinyl vinyl
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    Couldn't resist 8-)

but
    smarchee wrote:

vinyl vinyl vinyl vinyl vinyl vinyl

:)
    PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *
  • Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 730
    is this just a 10 club or won't it be released elsewhere? i don't get the pre-order if it is a mainstream item.
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,989
    A little bit tired: I ordered it and then realized it wasn't a vinyl. :oops:

I finally cancelled it.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,226
    I don't think a vinyl re-released has officially been announced anywhere. All the talk of a deluxe edition was about a cd/dvd release.

There was almost a Mad Season release on vinyl a few years back and it kept getting delayed (one post mention that they still needed final approval from the band). I assumed it never came out because of this release, and that the band wanted to do it themselves (rather than have music on vinyl put it out).

but yah.. there's been no word on a vinyl release yet.. you would hope they would do one though.
  • Options
    Zod wrote:
    I don't think a vinyl re-released has officially been announced anywhere. All the talk of a deluxe edition was about a cd/dvd release.

There was almost a Mad Season release on vinyl a few years back and it kept getting delayed (one post mention that they still needed final approval from the band). I assumed it never came out because of this release, and that the band wanted to do it themselves (rather than have music on vinyl put it out).

but yah.. there's been no word on a vinyl release yet.. you would hope they would do one though.

There's been many stores offering preorders almost a year or so ago, then taking them down.

The past few day's though this new one showed up over @ Music Direct.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-104222-mad ... rt-lp.aspx

MAD SEASON - ABOVE (LIMITED EDITION 180G IMPORT LP)
    Price: $44.99
    Quantity:
    Brand: MUSIC ON VINYL RECORDS
    Category: Music, Vinyl, 180g Vinyl.
    SKU: LIM8072
    Availability: TBA

Mad Season Above on Limited Edition 180g Import LP

1995's Above is the lone album from the Seattle supergroup Mad Season featuring vocalist Layne Staley (Alice In Chains), guitarist Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), bassist John Baker Saunders, and drummer Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees). Screaming Trees vocalist Mark Lanegan and saxophonist Nalgas Sin Carne also make appearances here as well.

Staley's haunting sincerity is supported masterfully by the group's beautiful melodies and inviting hooks throughout the 10-song set which offers fans just enough of what they have come to love about the members' respective groups to go along with something altogether different.

Recorded at Bad Animals Studio in Seattle, WA with producer Brett Eliason, Above was certified gold on the strength of the popular singles "River of Deceit," "I Don't Know Anything" and "Long Gone Day." Limited edition 180g vinyl reissue from Music On Vinyl.

Mad Season Above Track Listing:

1. Wake Up
    2. X-Ray Mind
    3. River of Deceit
    4. I'm Above
    5. Artificial Red
    6. Lifeless Dead
    7. I Don't Know Anything
    8. Long Gone Day
    9. November Hotel
    10. All Alone
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I wouldn't order from that one, Demetrios. It says from MOV, that was the one I ordered from What Records and Tim pretty much said there's no progress on that (or Singles). Or had been no progress. He offered to refund me.

At this stage there's gotta be an official reissue, right?
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    It would be great to get some kind of confirmation, one way or the other.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.