Options

FRANKENSTORM IS HERE!!!!!! GOOD LUCK EAST COAST

1222324252628»

Comments

• Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    I hope things continue to improve for all of you. What a nightmare this has been.

Mr. Unlost is back in Rockaway with FEMA, no estimated date of return.

I'm at medical informatics conference in Chicago, and the hurricane and disaster management has been a hot topic. So much empathy for the folks who were affected...

please thank mr unlost for me personally.
    i briefly saw FEMA up near Beach 116th and Waldbaums .

:thumbup:

Then my friend you saw his group.

That's where they were all day, that very site.

;)
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    wow....the shit hit the fan once again....hang in there, people.

((( hugs ))) :cry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    stay safe everybody!

Saw a pic Joseph Arthur posted from the tour bus on their way to the next show...I see why it was cancelled.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Just had a call from Mr. Unlost.

He's going to be there at least another week.

FEMA is going to do well-being checks of 1,600 buildings, a total of some 11,000 apartments, in the far Rockaways (? Far Rockaway?)

The good news is that due to his gym regimen on the stairmaster, Mr. Unlost was able to (with his team) hurry up 25 flights of stairs carrying infant formula, diapers and other supplies for a mom and newborn. The bad news was, when they got to the apartment, mom and baby had already left.

How did everybody do in last night's storm? We had quite a bit of snow in Boston.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813

FEMA is going to do well-being checks of 1,600 buildings, a total of some 11,000 apartments, in the far Rockaways (? Far Rockaway?)

The good news is that due to his gym regimen on the stairmaster, Mr. Unlost was able to (with his team) hurry up 25 flights of stairs carrying infant formula, diapers and other supplies for a mom and newborn. The bad news was, when they got to the apartment, mom and baby had already left.

How did everybody do in last night's storm? We had quite a bit of snow in Boston.

Far Rockaway is on the eastern end to border
    the 5 townes and atlantic beach-- nassau county, long island.
    lots of city projects.and not the best of the neighborhoods.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Bathgate66 wrote:

thats an understatement...worst projects in all of NYC
    cops won't even go in them
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:

nah the swat teams are regulars in them.
    i work in the areas only hospital,
    trust me, i know firsthand.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:

nah the swat teams are regulars in them.
    i work in the areas only hospital,
    trust me, i know firsthand.

Wow, I didn't know it was that bad there.

I don't know if they will have police with them or not.

I don't think they did in Mississippi or New Orleans after Katrina, but I don't know for sure. I remember him having to take some time to get used to seeing citizens (in Mississippi) walking down the street openly holding firearms. (Massachusetts has incredibly strict gun control laws, so it's always a bit of a culture shock to be someplace where carrying firearms is not uncommon.)

• Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Wow, I didn't know it was that bad there.

I don't know if they will have police with them or not.

I don't think they did in Mississippi or New Orleans after Katrina, but I don't know for sure. I remember him having to take some time to get used to seeing citizens (in Mississippi) walking down the street openly holding firearms. (Massachusetts has incredibly strict gun control laws, so it's always a bit of a culture shock to be someplace where carrying firearms is not uncommon.)

glad to read your addendum
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    60 minutes has an expose on the Belle Harbor section of
    Rockaway Beach ,NYC this evening,
    and the aftermath of Sandy.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    60 minutes has an expose on the Belle Harbor section of
    Rockaway Beach ,NYC this evening,
    and the aftermath of Sandy.

i saw this segment on 60 minutes last night.

can't imagine what those families had to endure. to have walls of flames coming at them from one side and 6ft of churning ocean water on the other...with no choice other then to jump in

what tough ppl they are to have gotten through such a (yet again) frightening nightmare

how close is that from where you live?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    24 blocks away
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,307
    Finally today the contractor started construction of my new furnace chimney so maybe by friday i can start my furnce back up again , next week the construction on my roof will get started ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,302
    guy called in for a refinance the other day. he was woring with another company who had to cancel closing due to the storm. then, as with all homes that were within sandy's path (like the entire northeast), they could not reschedule without a re-inspection of the home...to make sure it was still standing. it's a shore house in seaside heights. he was told he won't be able to access his neighborhood for at least the next 6 months so they were forced to withdraw his application and he wanted to see if i could help. unfortunately i cannot without an appraisal either.

such a shame. on a much smaller scale, but just to add insult to injury, next year's summer season is surely going to take a huge hit as well with a lot of these towns still rebuilding.

feel kinda lucky that the areas that i go to (south of ac) were not above the eye of the storm...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    guy called in for a refinance the other day. he was woring with another company who had to cancel closing due to the storm. then, as with all homes that were within sandy's path (like the entire northeast), they could not reschedule without a re-inspection of the home...to make sure it was still standing. it's a shore house in seaside heights. he was told he won't be able to access his neighborhood for at least the next 6 months so they were forced to withdraw his application and he wanted to see if i could help. unfortunately i cannot without an appraisal either.

such a shame. on a much smaller scale, but just to add insult to injury, next year's summer season is surely going to take a huge hit as well with a lot of these towns still rebuilding.

feel kinda lucky that the areas that i go to (south of ac) were not above the eye of the storm...

it was totally surreal seeing the roller coaster
    from seaside now in and underneath the ocean.
    heartbreaking.
    all the best to you and yours affected.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    still displaced.
    :((

Hurricane has the trade winds blowing
    A gale force shaking windows in the storm
    Shipwreck on the rock that he calls home
    With one light on

Somewhere theres a siren singing
    A song only he hears
    All the strength that you might think
    Would disappear,.. Resolving
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    still displaced.

With one light on

A song only he hears
    Where have I heard this before?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
  • Options
    a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw

:shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyrhWUz3QA
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    Columbia University saw it coming

sandy-s-wake-01.jpg
    The remains of the boardwalk at Rockaway Beach, New York

The storm made landfall. The Hudson rose and rose. Klaus Jacob went to bed.

“I knew what was going to happen,” he says with a shrug in his voice.

Of course he did.

On the evening of October 29, Superstorm Sandy, a weather event so gigantic and freakish that the word “hurricane” was insufficient, whipped the New York area, which lay to the right of that gargantuan white spiral in the satellite picture, the windier side. The Atlantic, plowed by winds, piled up high and rushed toward the coastline.

At around 9:00 p.m., New York harbor was a churning, brimming tub. Waves heaved and crashed. One wave measured thirty-two feet.

At 9:24, a storm surge of 13.88 feet, breaking the record of 10.2 feet set by Hurricane Donna in 1960, breached the seawalls of Lower Manhattan, flooding subway tunnels and knocking out power. Twelve miles north of the city, up the wooded banks of the Hudson River, on a swollen tributary in Piermont, New York, behind a stand of marsh grass, in an old Dutch settlement, inside a white clapboard house, Jacob, a seismologist at Columbia’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, climbed the steep wooden staircase.

The Awakening

Klaus Jacob / The Battery
    Sea level rise will eventually inundate low-lying areas permanently if no mitigation or adaptation measures are taken, and may also accelerate saltwater intrusion in some areas.

So it had come, the Big One that Jacob and his colleagues had imagined when they produced the now-famous 2011 report Responding to Climate Change in New York State, known as the ClimAID study. Chapter 9, written by Jacob and civil-engineering professor George Deodatis ’87SEAS, focused on transportation, and what the city could expect from a hundred-year storm — what the authors likened to “a non-direct but nearby hit of a category 1 or category 2 hurricane.”

For most transportation facilities, the increased coastal storm surge hazard will dominate over these permanent inundation hazards for most of this century.

The state-funded study was led by Cynthia Rosenzweig, a senior research scientist at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies at Columbia; William Solecki ’84CC, director of the CUNY Institute for Sustainable Cities; and Art DeGaetano of Cornell.

If existing infrastructure is not upgraded and adapted to the new demands posed by climate change, it will put the neglected regions, their economies, and, in the worst cases, lives in jeopardy.

Jacob awoke at dawn. The winds that had rocked him to sleep still rattled the dark house. The night before, Jacob had shut off the circuit breakers and disconnected the gas. Now he smelled the usual ocean smell that comes with living by a tidal river, only maybe it was nearer than usual. He knew, lying there, that the water had entered during the night, risen, and receded with the tide.

He knew, too, that the press would want to talk to him about all the things he knew. In September, the New York Times had published an article by Mireya Navarro ’04JRN titled “New York Is Lagging as Seas and Risks Rise, Critics Warn.” In the article, Jacob, noting how the storm surge of Hurricane Irene a year before had come within one foot of flooding New York subway tunnels and highways and knocking out power to commuter rail lines, said, “We’ve been extremely lucky. I’m disappointed that the political process hasn’t recognized that we’re playing Russian roulette.”

That quote got picked up as Sandy approached.

Now they’d be calling him “prescient.” They’d get mileage out of that word. New York magazine would ask, “Is Dr. Klaus H. Jacob the Cassandra of New York City Subway Flooding?” A rhetorical question, presumably. Still, any of the study’s authors would say that it was a straightforward analysis that hardly required powers of prophecy.

Jacob, white-bearded and nimble, got out of bed and went down the stairs to deal with the inevitable.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/que ... -1.1310812

Film pays tribute to Superstorm Sandy hero Dylan Smith

Rockaway resident John Sica’s documentary ‘Seven Miles To Shore’ will premiere at the Rincon Film Festival in Puerto Rico on April 10

By Henrick Karoliszyn / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, April 9, 2013, 6:00 AM.

John Sica (c.), 55, a retired NYPD officer from Rockaway, has produced a documentary titled “Seven Miles to Shore” as a tribute to Dylan Smith, the 23-year-old lifeguard who used his surfboard to help save six lives during Superstorm Sandy. Smith died in Puerto Rico on Dec. 23 in a surfing accident. Sica speaks with with Pete Brady, a New York City firefighter, during filming.

Dylan Smith, 23, helped save six people during Superstorm Sandy using his surf board. He died in a surfing accident on Dec. 23 in waters off Maria's Beach, in the western Puerto Rican community of Rincon.

Superstorm Sandy hero Dylan Smith’s memory will be kept alive on the big screen nearly four months after the Rockaway surfer’s untimely death.

John Sica, 55, a retired NYPD officer, who lives on Beach 119th St., filmed a documentary called “Seven Miles To Shore” with the tag line “Sometimes You Need an Angel with a Surf Board” as a tribute to his late family friend.

“You don’t realize what he did until you hear people talk about their lives being in jeopardy and how Dylan came out of nowhere with a surfboard to save them,” Sica said. “You understand that in the movie.”

The film is set to debut at the Rincon Film Festival in Puerto Rico on Wednesday.

“Dylan was a local hero but he always loved going to Rincon ever since he was young,” Sica said. “That’s why it’s the perfect place to premiere the film.”

The 23-year-old Smith helped ferry six people to safety with his surfboard during Superstorm Sandy. He died in a surfing accident in Rincon on Dec. 23.

Michael McDonnell, 51, who helped Smith with the rescue, said he was proud of his late friend and glad to see his story being told on screen.

“There will always be a void in the community with the loss of Dylan Smith but it is nice to see that there are people out there caring to keep his memory alive,” he said.

The 63-minute documentary was crafted in two months after Sica found out about Smith’s death, he said.

“It’s sad but I wanted to make sure he was remembered,” Sica said.

Locals helped with the production when they found out about it.

Bobby Butler, 28, who plays bass in the Rockaway band Indaculture, signed on as the sound engineer for the film’s sound track.

“The film shows the heroism, selflessness and style of Dylan Smith,” Butler said. “While Sandy was a major setback, his loss is a true disaster to Rockaway.”

The film is a fitting tribute, Butler said, because Sica was able to “step away from such a personal experience” and show Rockaway as a “special place.”

“They told the story of a community that produces amazing people like Dylan Smith,” he said.

In an exclusive interview with the Daily News on Dec. 15, a modest Smith downplayed his role in the rescue.

“I don’t think I’m a hero,” he said. “Absolutely not. I just did what I was trained to. I’m a lifeguard. I surf.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/que ... z2PzVuHShD
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Newch91 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    still displaced.

With one light on

A song only he hears
    Where have I heard this before?

force of nature

New York is in a horrible spot as global warming continues ... what was once classified as 100 year storms are going to be every 10 years or less ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

force of nature

New York is in a horrible spot as global warming continues ... what was once classified as 100 year storms are going to be every 10 years or less ...

scary

we might become another Venice
    platessmall.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    scary

we might become another Venice

add to that a very old infrastructure and the combination is not good ...