Options

FRANKENSTORM IS HERE!!!!!! GOOD LUCK EAST COAST

Comments

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    polaris_x wrote:
    sooo ... should the marathon be run this sunday in NY!? ... there are still a lot of people without power and stuff ... especially on staten island ...

I hope the people that have lost everything will be blocking the marathon route while waiting in lines for food, clothing, shelter & to get their lives back.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    polaris_x wrote:
    sooo ... should the marathon be run this sunday in NY!? ... there are still a lot of people without power and stuff ... especially on staten island ...
    Marathon should happen, just not this weekend. It's too late to cancel now, they should have announced postponing it Wednesday morning after the storm when they realized the extent of the devastation and before a lot of the athletes arrived. We're not ready for the influx of visitors right now. The marathon runners are going to face a lot of animosity even though they had nothing to do with Sandy. Yes, it's important to keep on going, but one step at a time. You don't go from most crippling natural disaster this region has seen since I don't know when, to hosting a major sporting event in less than a week. I don't understand the overwhelming desire to show some semblance of normalcy. There is nothing normal about this situation right now. I was all for carrying on after 9/11 as a big giant fuck you to the people who did that to us. This one's different, we're proving nothing other than that we're too proud to say we can't do it. Yes, it's important economically but we'll recover from not having the marathon as scheduled just this once.
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Suziemay wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    Marathon should happen, just not this weekend. It's too late to cancel now, they should have announced postponing it Wednesday morning after the storm when they realized the extent of the devastation and before a lot of the athletes arrived. We're not ready for the influx of visitors right now. The marathon runners are going to face a lot of animosity even though they had nothing to do with Sandy. Yes, it's important to keep on going, but one step at a time. You don't go from most crippling natural disaster this region has seen since I don't know when, to hosting a major sporting event in less than a week. I don't understand the overwhelming desire to show some semblance of normalcy. There is nothing normal about this situation right now. I was all for carrying on after 9/11 as a big giant fuck you to the people who did that to us. This one's different, we're proving nothing other than that we're too proud to say we can't do it. Yes, it's important economically but we'll recover from not having the marathon as scheduled just this once.

well said. how about the Giants game Sunday? I understand the Steelers can't get a hotel for Saturday night and are going to fly in and out same day
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    how about the Giants game Sunday? I understand the Steelers can't get a hotel for Saturday night and are going to fly in and out same day
    That's just silly, they should have postponed that too. How are people going to get to the stadium? First they are going to wait 2 hours to fill up for gas and then sit in traffic for another 2 hours to get there? And that's if they still have their car.

Then by the time people get there they are going to bitch about the lack of beer flowing because they couldn't get all the people working the concession stands to come to work.
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    just cancelled the NY marathon
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,340
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

About time someone got their heads out of their asses it makes total sense to cancel ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

About time someone got their heads out of their asses it makes total sense to cancel ..

I just saw some Swedish people go running by waving their little flags, Not This Time Hanz! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Good......Now get all those generators out to the people that really need them.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

It totally makes sense and I agree with it, but I think earlier in the week, people were in denial about how long it would take to get back to some state of normal, which is why it took this long to cancel.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    Suziemay wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    how about the Giants game Sunday? I understand the Steelers can't get a hotel for Saturday night and are going to fly in and out same day
    That's just silly, they should have postponed that too. How are people going to get to the stadium? First they are going to wait 2 hours to fill up for gas and then sit in traffic for another 2 hours to get there? And that's if they still have their car.

Then by the time people get there they are going to bitch about the lack of beer flowing because they couldn't get all the people working the concession stands to come to work.

Not that i know too much, but could be the new york spirit, refuse to be beaten, and don't give in, you guys have been through soo much lately. my hat goes off to you all.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I'm glad they cancelled it. I have a few friend running and they were having mixed feeling about it. One or two of them decided not to run. It still chaotic out there. There are trees and power lines still down (down the block from me 3 trees knocked down a power line and 2 cars caught on fire). Staten Island is so hard hit- and almost forgotten- with attention on getting Manhattan up and running. It just made sense to cancel.

They just should have done it sooner.
  • Options
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Right decision not to have the race this weekend, but wrong decision to just plain cancel it. What SHOULD have happened was a decision on Tuesday/Wednesday to postpone so most people wouldn't have traveled here yet. People train very hard for this and it's important not to discount that. Now it's just a total mess. Not cool Mayor Bloomberg, and I actually kinda liked you for the most part before this. Now I'm not so sure.

In other news...

POWER BACK I MY APARTMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Lost it when that transformer on 14th street blew up on Monday night.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

I heard on the news that 4 generators that were/ARE parked in Central Park can EACH feed enough energy for 400 homes. Let me say AGAIN, 1=400 HOMES!!! Get them where they are NEEDED ALREADY! It's 2012, can we fucken get a clue?!?! :fp:
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Hey I just wanted to pass on a message someone has posted on another messageboard I look at in ref the NY marathon:
    "Well, my sis is over there and it has been cancelled. Years of training, saving and all that and then to find out that "it's on, no it's off" roundabout has led to the decision to cancel. Makes sense...it was a run for goodness sakes. She has her health, she has her house still standing back home, she has power/water and everything to make her life comfortable. She has her family safe and well. Is she sweating it? Nope. She is volunteering in a few soup kitchens and helping out at a school (she is a PE teacher type) and making the most of it until she flies back home. Go Sis...you're a winner in my book"

Just a nice story I thought I'd pass on. Wishing healing & strength to all affected by the storm from me. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,359
    soooooo....

my parent's neighbor's house in lbi needs to be completely gutted (it's right on the lagoon).
    my brother's girlfriend's house might need to just be rebuilt (on the water in brick).
    my friend's aunt's house in lbi has severe damage................maybe this is a good time for all 3 to smarten up and migrate to south jersey :lol: --kidding!

cousin's up in long island are still without power.
    a few people from work are still without power.
    my sister in law is still without power.....fucking cold at night.

good lord. so thankful that nothing really happened to us but it sucks for so many people. this was waaaaaaaaay worse than that rain storm last year.

hopefully this noreaster doesn't amount to much this week. :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone up there having problems with price gouging at the gas stations. One gas station that a friend posted on fb raised the price like a dollar. They're also mad because people who said they were state workers,but driving their own personal cars were cutting the line.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    Anyone up there having problems with price gouging at the gas stations. One gas station that a friend posted on fb raised the price like a dollar. They're also mad because people who said they were state workers,but driving their own personal cars were cutting the line.
    A place by my mom's was charging $4.79. Unreal.

I've been on line for gas for 6 hours now. They haven't gotten a delivery yet. This is bad.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,237
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

I've been on line for gas for 6 hours now. They haven't gotten a delivery yet. This is bad.

now i'm sure lots of people have little or no gas left, but if you have a quarter of a tank in your car you could drive up to 60 miles with that. there is no reason that lines in gas stations should be over 6 hours long. it's not like every gas station in a 60 mile radius is out. people in north jersey with a quarter of a tank could get almost down to philly on that.

again not commenting on your personal situation particularly, just in general.
  • Options
    soooooo....

my parent's neighbor's house in lbi needs to be completely gutted (it's right on the lagoon).
    my brother's girlfriend's house might need to just be rebuilt (on the water in brick).
    my friend's aunt's house in lbi has severe damage................maybe this is a good time for all 3 to smarten up and migrate to south jersey :lol: --kidding!

cousin's up in long island are still without power.
    a few people from work are still without power.
    my sister in law is still without power.....fucking cold at night.

good lord. so thankful that nothing really happened to us but it sucks for so many people. this was waaaaaaaaay worse than that rain storm last year.

hopefully this noreaster doesn't amount to much this week. :x
    I'm sorry so many people you know have been impacted.
    Yeah the noreaster is not good timing at all...I hope it amounts to nothing
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    morello wrote:
    Hey I just wanted to pass on a message someone has posted on another messageboard I look at in ref the NY marathon:
    "Well, my sis is over there and it has been cancelled. Years of training, saving and all that and then to find out that "it's on, no it's off" roundabout has led to the decision to cancel. Makes sense...it was a run for goodness sakes. She has her health, she has her house still standing back home, she has power/water and everything to make her life comfortable. She has her family safe and well. Is she sweating it? Nope. She is volunteering in a few soup kitchens and helping out at a school (she is a PE teacher type) and making the most of it until she flies back home. Go Sis...you're a winner in my book"

Just a nice story I thought I'd pass on. Wishing healing & strength to all affected by the storm from me. :)
    very cool :) Thanks for posting that.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    gas,,,,,cannot be found.....this is sick
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    I've been at this gas station since 6am...now they're saying no gas until after midnight. I've made it to where I'm only about 8 cars back. I'm leaving my car here (a few of us are) and coming back. Almost 9 hours waiting, I'm not giving up that easily. People are leaving like crazy, I just keep moving up.
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
  • Options
    That sucks, sorry to hear that. Have you had a chance to get out to your beach house yet to assess the damage? I hope things get better for all you guys out there real soon.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • Options
    LiLiNY81 wrote:

That's so wrong. I hope all the places that are price gouging get reported and fined.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    If you have enough gas to get down below exit 7 on the turnpike- there are NO lines. But get off the turnpike. Went to a friends house by exit 5 and filled up the car with no lines and cheaper gas.
  • Options
    titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    Sounds like you guys are having a real touch time over there, hope your all copeing well.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Options
    After 9 hours waiting at the station, I was able to get 5 gallons....via my brother's friend. Ugh what a long day. Just want a hot shower, two Advil and some PJ in my ears LOL
  • Options
    If you are in NYC report price gouging here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... E6MQ#gid=0
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    That sucks, sorry to hear that. Have you had a chance to get out to your beach house yet to assess the damage? I hope things get better for all you guys out there real soon.

my co worker went by,,,house still there....doesnt look to bad...garage was flooded abit but the main part seems ok thank god
    thank you....when i go out myself i will report back
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    Just got my power back on today, can't remember being so happy and WARM. Geez it's been friggin cold at night. What a week, family and friends all ok but theres damage- all which is repairable / replaceable, and that's what I keep emphasizing. Utility pole in front of my house snapped in half after a tree across the street came down, causing the wires to take down my chimney- no biggie. That top 10ft of the pole still swings in the street, attached to power wires. So dangerous. So many stories- my sister lives on a canal here in LI and they flooded but are lucky, the house is intact. A few houses over from them blew up when the gas line became dislodged. Many homes knocked off foundations and condemned on their block as well. Lots of big trees through homes in my neighborhood, as Jose's house. And poor Breezy Point. Myself & about 50 teenagers spent their prom weekend there oh so many years ago thanks to the kindness (or blindness 8- ) of a couple of friends parents. And now its gone. :( And the beaches, all the beaches.....
    The feeling is so dismal, so depressing. The gas lines are ridiculous. You have lines for cars and for walk ups- people trying to keep their generators running. I know someone commented on how far you can travel with a 1/4 of a tank. That's not the point, it's a matter of security, knowing you're not going to run out. I think It's hard to imagine what it is like driving around just looking for coffee and a bagel, and gas. But the 7-11 has no more coffee and people are yelling at the poor guy because they ran out. And there is no place to get a bagel, because there is no power. And the gas stations are closed because they ran out of gas or have no power. And yeah, you may have a 1/2 tank in your car, but thats all you have, and you may have to depend on your car to charge your phone and to get you to work or just get around. It has been a brutal, stressful week for all of us on the east coast, I feel so badly for those who lost everything- I cannot imagine how they are getting through this.
    Phew.....sorry, thats been building up all week.