Options

Obamacare sucks

Comments

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    polaris_x wrote:
    sorry Fixer for the derail ...

i would say - let's see the whole story ... it's really fairly simple ... if there are more layoffs than hiring/sales ... then it clearly didn't work ... but we can't simply discount the political motivations of some companies ...

no problem, I'm as guilty of anyone of highjacking certain threads with my tangents.

I'm definitely biased on this issue as I have seen the immediate effects firsthand. It's a real shame for the hardworking people of upstate NY. There aren't many big companies up that way.

Everyone is entitled to their political opinion. Just figured I'd make a post to vent and make people aware of how certain policies are affecting innocent bystanders. Collateral damage epitomized
  • Options
    bellosjam wrote:
    Medical device reps and pharmaceutical reps are way overpaid for what little training they have. These 6-figure employment opportunities are basically glorified sales positions which are universally commission driven, the end-game being increasing profits for both pharmaceutical and medical device companys. These inflated salaries are ultimately passed on to the patients through increased cost of services/products. If any pharmaceutical or medical device company decides to layoff workers because of cost cutting proposals included in Obamacare than that just tough luck for a small, essentially unskilled, portion of the work force that again was overcompensated for their knowledge base and skill level. And just to clarify, pharmaceutical and medical device representative layoffs began way before Obamacare was passed.

read the article again...no one mentioned an effect on sales reps

also, the plural of company is companies

thanks for wasting everyones time with your misguided post
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    polaris_x wrote:
    Godfather. wrote:
    Look what I found. I didn't fact check though.

Woot

The word "Dhimmitude" is found in the new health care bill;
    so what does it mean?

Thought this was interesting and worth passing on.

Dhimmitude

Obama used it in the health care bill.
    Now isn't this interesting?
    It is also included in the health care law.

Dhimmitude -- I had never heard the word until now. Type it into
    Google and start reading. Pretty interesting. It's on page 107 of the
    healthcare bill.  I looked this up on Google and yep, it exists.  It is a
    REAL word.

Dhimmitude is the Muslim system of controlling non-Muslim populations
    conquered through jihad (Holy War). Specifically, it is the TAXING of

non-Muslims in exchange for tolerating their presence AND as a coercive

means of converting conquered remnants to Islam.

ObamaCare allows the establishment of Dhimmitude and Sharia Muslim
    diktat in the United States . Muslims are specifically exempted from
    the government mandate to purchase insurance, and also from the
    penalty tax for being uninsured. Islam considers insurance to be
    "gambling", "risk-taking", and "usury" and is thus banned. Muslims are
    specifically granted exemption based on this.

How convenient. So I, as a Christian, will have crippling IRS liens
    placed against all of my assets, including real estate, cattle, and
    even accounts receivable, and will face hard prison time because I
    refuse to buy insurance or pay the penalty tax. Meanwhile, Louis
    Farrakhan will have no such penalty and will have 100% of his health
    insurance needs paid for by the de facto government insurance.
    Non-Muslims will be paying a tax to subsidize Muslims. This is Dhimmitude.

your post just made hate obama....I thought he was a usless piece of shit.

Godfather.

why do you folks continue to show your lack of independent thought? ... seriously, aren't you embarrassed every time you fall for one of these things?? ... you would think after the first dozen or so - you would take a step back and say - this sounds too absurd even tho I don't like Obama and check it ...

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/govern ... andate.htm

I checked it already but thanks for the link :D and several links infact.
    embarrassed ? no way :mrgreen: most of the good folks on here fall for or believe some kind of bullshit for days on end..this is the Train and it's all good.

Godfather.
  • Options
    bellosjambellosjam Posts: 288
    The point of the post is that if a company decided to cut and run and ultimately out source jobs and production facilities it is driven strictly with attention to the "bottom line". These companies, regardless of being family owned and operated, are profit driven. Profits which have been quite strong over the last decade. Now in an effort to maintain that profit level these companies ultimately out source to preserve the bottom line. At other times in our country's history i.e. "the greatest generation" people sacrificed and got by with less in order to contribute to be collective good and well being of the country. That thinking has changed. Any sales rep who thinks their salary is not calculated into this bottom line is naïve. Medical spending, including that on medical devices and pharmaceuticals, was unsustainable. Now that things are being corrected people like to bitch about Obamacare but the problem has been around much longer than Obama has.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    And the Bloomberg editorial that the article above references

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-0 ... althy.html

I haven't spoken to analysts and am not going to claim to be an expert on the topic and medical devices may have a case if they are being taxed more than other healtcare verticals, but simple supply and demand would indicate this doesn't necessarily add up.

Dude, this article is 4 months old. Ie, published before all of these layoffs started

So, if you look at the projected layoffs and impact of moving overseas in the article...then compare it to the recent events in the med device industry...it looks to me like your article is dead wrong

I get that but the point is, what are these layoffs really about? Like I said, it's simple supply and demand and it doesn't really add up. I don't think you or I really know the answers to why these layoffs are happening. I do know for a fact that one of the companies mentioned here who have laid off large numbers are not because of this.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    The Fixer wrote:

Please explain... because the way I saw it... this company is unwilling to take the hit in taxes to it's bottom line and will instead, hit it's employees in order to maintain the current bottom line... which includes moving its U.S. operations to Mexico.
    So... what does that tell you about this company and its loyalty to the American worker?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Godfather. wrote:
    your post just made hate obama....I thought he was a usless piece of shit.

Godfather.

Godfather. wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

why do you folks continue to show your lack of independent thought? ... seriously, aren't you embarrassed every time you fall for one of these things?? ... you would think after the first dozen or so - you would take a step back and say - this sounds too absurd even tho I don't like Obama and check it ...

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/govern ... andate.htm

I checked it already but thanks for the link :D and several links infact.
    embarrassed ? no way :mrgreen: most of the good folks on here fall for or believe some kind of bullshit for days on end..this is the Train and it's all good.

Godfather.

I think Godfather enjoyed the opportunity to call the President what he did more so than to give a quick check as if it was going to go unnoticed here on AMT. What do I know you probably call him a UPOS everyday anyway.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Still waiting for The Fixer to answer Cosmo's question... :roll: Maybe he's looking for another article rather than displaying some kind of independent thought on the matter.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Reading this article and firsthand seeing good people that I work with being let go so that 'free' healthcare can be given away to those who can't support themselves is flat out wrong.

I'll give an example of someone who "can't support themselves" who is going to be greatly helped out by this bill; my fiances mom. I never want to get personal on here but her husband died when she had 3 kids from ages 9-14. She was left to raise them on a city job, which left very little room for savings. She needed spinal surgery a little under 10 years ago and unfortunately, that surgery did not go well. She has had about 4 follow up surgeries, has very limited use of her hands due to nerve damage and is in constant pain, pain I could never imagine. She now needs open heart surgery, ironically enough, on election day.

Within the past year, she as cut off from her insurance because she hit her lifetime cap, which basically made it so she lost healthcare and prescriptions that allowed her to live a normal life. She is constantly in pain and it takes her hours to just get out of the house.

Now this woman is not some 17 year old with 4 kids getting free healthcare and welfare. She had done nothing but work her ass of to do the best to raise 3 kids on a very limited budget, and she did a damn good job, if I say so myself. She has been through more shit than anyone I know and didn't ask for any of it. How can a country that claims to care about their people so much do nothing to help this person? What happens if something like this happens to you, your mom, your wife or your kid? You want to talk about good people? Why is this good womans life ruined because we are one of the only civilized nations in the world to not take care of their people?

I completely understand where you are coming from and why you think the way you do. But I also think you have an incredibly simplistic and somewhat ignorant view on how the real world works.
  • Options
    bellosjam wrote:
    The point of the post is that if a company decided to cut and run and ultimately out source jobs and production facilities it is driven strictly with attention to the "bottom line". These companies, regardless of being family owned and operated, are profit driven. Profits which have been quite strong over the last decade. Now in an effort to maintain that profit level these companies ultimately out source to preserve the bottom line. At other times in our country's history i.e. "the greatest generation" people sacrificed and got by with less in order to contribute to be collective good and well being of the country. That thinking has changed. Any sales rep who thinks their salary is not calculated into this bottom line is naïve. Medical spending, including that on medical devices and pharmaceuticals, was unsustainable. Now that things are being corrected people like to bitch about Obamacare but the problem has been around much longer than Obama has.

It's amazing how you know the bottom line of private companies such as Welch Allyn. If I send you my email address can you send me tonights' winning lottery numbers?

Your posts are full of false insinuations. Go troll a different thread
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

So... what does that tell you about this company ?

That it does not want to contribute additional profits to forced govt policies. Esp when said policies promote 'free' healthcare to citizens (and in some cases 'citizens' who aren't legally residing here).

How ironic is it that obama promotes an increase of domestic jobs and production...and his policies are not only contradictory, but paradoxical to his desired outcome?
  • Options
    I,ve been a doctor on the front lines of this argument for the last 10 years. I deal with these kinds of issues on an almost daily basis. Now who's the troll? :nono:
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

i would say - let's see the whole story ... it's really fairly simple ... if there are more layoffs than hiring/sales ... then it clearly didn't work ... but we can't simply discount the political motivations of some companies ...

no problem, I'm as guilty of anyone of highjacking certain threads with my tangents.

I'm definitely biased on this issue as I have seen the immediate effects firsthand. It's a real shame for the hardworking people of upstate NY. There aren't many big companies up that way.

Everyone is entitled to their political opinion. Just figured I'd make a post to vent and make people aware of how certain policies are affecting innocent bystanders. Collateral damage epitomized

One other question since you seem to care so much about the people of upstate new york. How do you feel about the proposed fracking and the impact that will have on small business? Honest question, because I would say most people that are making your argument about obamacare would support the fracking which has and will not create jobs and will hurt the agricultural and farming industry
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Reading this article and firsthand seeing good people that I work with being let go so that 'free' healthcare can be given away to those who can't support themselves is flat out wrong.

I'll give an example of someone who "can't support themselves" who is going to be greatly helped out by this bill; my fiances mom. I never want to get personal on here but her husband died when she had 3 kids from ages 9-14. She was left to raise them on a city job, which left very little room for savings. She needed spinal surgery a little under 10 years ago and unfortunately, that surgery did not go well. She has had about 4 follow up surgeries, has very limited use of her hands due to nerve damage and is in constant pain, pain I could never imagine. She now needs open heart surgery, ironically enough, on election day.

Within the past year, she as cut off from her insurance because she hit her lifetime cap, which basically made it so she lost healthcare and prescriptions that allowed her to live a normal life. She is constantly in pain and it takes her hours to just get out of the house.

Now this woman is not some 17 year old with 4 kids getting free healthcare and welfare. She had done nothing but work her ass of to do the best to raise 3 kids on a very limited budget, and she did a damn good job, if I say so myself. She has been through more shit than anyone I know and didn't ask for any of it. How can a country that claims to care about their people so much do nothing to help this person? What happens if something like this happens to you, your mom, your wife or your kid? You want to talk about good people? Why is this good womans life ruined because we are one of the only civilized nations in the world to not take care of their people?

I completely understand where you are coming from and why you think the way you do. But I also think you have an incredibly simplistic and somewhat ignorant view on how the real world works.

sorry to hear this.

Instances like this should be open to arbitrary review and some potential type of govt assistance. That is a policy that I could get behind. Unfortunately that's not what obama is instituting. the 17 year old that you mentioned is going to benefit from obamacare...even if it means damning the hard-working Welch Allyn factory workers who are losing their jobs...or even worse, the truly sick people who genuinely need help like your mother in law.

But we live in a land of entitlement. People put their hands out and expect the govt and the 'rich' to solve their problems. It pisses me off
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

One other question since you seem to care so much about the people of upstate new york. How do you feel about the proposed fracking and the impact that will have on small business? Honest question, because I would say most people that are making your argument about obamacare would support the fracking which has and will not create jobs and will hurt the agricultural and farming industry

I honestly don't know the first thing about any of that. Not going to pretend like I do.

Is that related to obamacare?
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

sorry to hear this.

Instances like this should be open to arbitrary review and some potential type of govt assistance. That is a policy that I could get behind. Unfortunately that's not what obama is instituting. the 17 year old that you mentioned is going to benefit from obamacare...even if it means damning the hard-working Welch Allyn factory workers who are losing their jobs...or even worse, the truly sick people who genuinely need help like your mother in law.

But we live in a land of entitlement. People put their hands out and expect the govt and the 'rich' to solve their problems. It pisses me off

But that is such nonsense. You have no basis for that assertion. Yes, there are lazy people but there are millions who will benefit from this and truly need it. Do you know how much an arbitrary panel to review every issue like this would cost?
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    I honestly don't know the first thing about any of that. Not going to pretend like I do.

Is that related to obamacare?

No but like I said, the majority of people who are worried about upstate new york because of Obamacare couldn't give two shits about the impact of fracking. I just find it slightly hypocritical
  • Options
    bellosjam wrote:
    I,ve been a doctor on the front lines of this argument for the last 10 years. I deal with these kinds of issues on an almost daily basis. Now who's the troll? :nono:

what kind of Dr? you should understand that obamacare is shrinking the salaries that non-specialty doctors can earn. I don't think that is right either. The industry trend is that these large IDN networks are buying up all of the stand-alone doctor practices. Practicing medicine is becoming more and more like working for a corporation (and as these IDNs grow, that's exactly how it is).

I feel for doctors of today. They are being squeezed more than anyone. That's probably why you're so angry :D . makes sense. I would hate salespeople if I knew they were making more than me if I had to spend years and thousands of dollars on med school
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    But that is such nonsense. You have no basis for that assertion. Yes, there are lazy people but there are millions who will benefit from this and truly need it. Do you know how much an arbitrary panel to review every issue like this would cost?

which assertion?

I have no idea how much an aribitrary panel would cost. Would it cost more than promising 300 million people healthcare?? I doubt it
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

which assertion?

I have no idea how much an aribitrary panel would cost. Would it cost more than promising 300 million people healthcare?? I doubt it

Basically your whole philosophy that obamacare is pretty much only going to help freeloaders.

No one has promised healthcare to 300 million people, would be nice if we could actually keep our country healthy though.
  • Options
    Obama is proposing Medicare reimbursement cuts to physicians which will more than likely decrease my compensation in the ensuing years. However I am still voting for Obama because I see the rationale in cutting medical costs on several fronts, including physician salaries, in an effort to make health care more widely available. I am more than willing to sacrifice the bullshit BMW and extra square footage so that I can go to work each day knowing I am able to provide health care to more people who need it and, despite what Ann Coulter says, truly appreciate it. I see up to 15 or 16 Medicare and Medi-Cal patients each work day and I can promise you that the vast majority of these patients are not lazy people with a sense of entitlement. That being said, I do at times run across the shady patient who does try to take advantage of disability programs or even asks for a handicap parking pass when they are able bodied. :evil: However, this is definitely the exception rather than the rule.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

which assertion?

Basically your whole philosophy that obamacare is pretty much only going to help freeloaders.

No one has promised healthcare to 300 million people.

I never said it's only helping freeloaders. My contention is that it DOES help those types though. And that the fact that it has been promoted as 'free' is complete and total bullshit. I cannot believe people are dumb enough to believe that kind of nonsense.

It's a flawed policy on numerous levels.
  • Options
    bellosjam wrote:
    Obama is proposing Medicare reimbursement cuts to physicians which will more than likely decrease my compensation in the ensuing years. However I am still voting for Obama because I see the rationale in cutting medical costs on several fronts, including physician salaries, in an effort to make health care more widely available. I am more than willing to sacrifice the bullshit BMW and extra square footage so that I can go to work each day knowing I am able to provide health care to more people who need it and, despite what Ann Coulter says, truly appreciate it. I see up to 15 or 16 Medicare and Medi-Cal patients each work day and I can promise you that the vast majority of these patients are not lazy people with a sense of entitlement. That being said, I do at times run across the shady patient who does try to take advantage of disability programs or even asks for a handicap parking pass when they are able bodied. :evil: However, this is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Physician reimbursement seems to get cut every year. I'm sure insurance companies are just as guilty as the govt. I am in these offices every day...most doctors are not good business people. They are always looking for additional ways to make their practices more profitable because they seem to be getting squeezed from every angle. Your view is commendable, but I feel like you are in the minority of docs with your support of obamacare.

Maybe I have spent too much times in the CHCs in cities like baltimore and DC. I take issue with the fact that my tax dollars are directly contributing to that type of shit.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

So... what does that tell you about this company ?

That it does not want to contribute additional profits to forced govt policies. Esp when said policies promote 'free' healthcare to citizens (and in some cases 'citizens' who aren't legally residing here).

How ironic is it that obama promotes an increase of domestic jobs and production...and his policies are not only contradictory, but paradoxical to his desired outcome?
    Okay.... wait... I'm still a bit unclear here... are you affirming my assessment that this company chooses to make the business decision that it is going to protect its profits by sacrificing its U.S. employees?
    Because, it will continue to produce and sell the same products, but with a labor force from outside the U.S. I'm not saying it's right or wrong... it's business and I understand that. I'm just wondering if the company sees its profit as a higher priority than its employees. I mean, the company can STILL operate in the U.S.... as long as its U.S. employees want to compete with the Mexican wages... right?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    So by your reasoning we should reinstitute all previous banking regulations because it spawned a few "white-collar criminals". You're starting to sound like a card-carrying Democrat to me... I'm really starting to like you. Please don't mistake this political policy debate as anything more than using this form to share ideas. I obviously don't know you personally, so I have no reason to harbor any bad feelings towards you. If you needed a Yield vinyl for instance, I would still hook you up! :D
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Okay.... wait... I'm still a bit unclear here... are you affirming my assessment that this company chooses to make the business decision that it is going to protect its profits by sacrificing its U.S. employees?
    Because, it will continue to produce and sell the same products, but with a labor force from outside the U.S. I'm not saying it's right or wrong... it's business and I understand that. I'm just wondering if the company sees its profit as a higher priority than its employees. I mean, the company can STILL operate in the U.S.... as long as its U.S. employees want to compete with the Mexican wages... right?

companies don't operate to incur losses. fact is that govt policy has spurred many domestic med device manufacturers to make changes which negatively affect US workers and domestic production. Ironically, two of the things obama is promoting during his campaign.

I'm not privy to private companies respective bottom lines nor am I sitting in boardroom meetings with the executives making these decisions. I don't know what their profit margins or budgets are. All I know is that their cost of doing business domestically has substantially increased due to govt policy, which seems like a conflict of interest based on what the president is currently selling
  • Options
    bellosjam wrote:
    So by your reasoning we should reinstitute all previous banking regulations because it spawned a few "white-collar criminals". You're starting to sound like a card-carrying Democrat to me... I'm really starting to like you. Please don't mistake this political policy debate as anything more than using this form to share ideas. I obviously don't know you personally, so I have no reason to harbor any bad feelings towards you. If you needed a Yield vinyl for instance, I would still hook you up! :D

:D

good shit. I'm far from a political expert. Created this post to vent about obamacare, which I personally disagree with (for a number of reasons).

I enjoy intelligent back and forth. There is no right or wrong when discussing politics...it's your opinion vs my opinion.
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    edited October 2012
    bellosjam wrote:

But people don't think like this these days. Doctors get paid to test patients not treat them. Like many industries in America, the almighty $ trumps all. As you said in an earlier post, pharma sales reps and medical device sales reps make a ridiculous amount of money. What do they do? My friend, an uber-repub conservative form NJ spends all his time taking doctors out to lunch and taking them out to hit the links (golf for those who don't know), and it is bull shit like this in the industry which drives up costs of everything form medical equipment to prescription drugs. In the ACA, there is a great provision that states that insurance companies must spend 80% of premiums on PATIENT CARE. The simple idea that a provision like that is needed shows how inept and backwards the industry has become.
    If you are a doctor, you are going to make your money. And, you have earned it. But please remember that you serve your patients and not big pharma.

$$$$ is god.

And, as someone else has stated, I find it hard to believe that a little 2.3% tax drives mass layoffs. These CEOs and their 10, 20, 30 million dollar salaries are a part of the problem. Unpatriotic, greedy, selfish fucks:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=197496

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=197088
    Post edited by whygohome on
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

companies don't operate to incur losses. fact is that govt policy has spurred many domestic med device manufacturers to make changes which negatively affect US workers and domestic production. Ironically, two of the things obama is promoting during his campaign.

I'm not privy to private companies respective bottom lines nor am I sitting in boardroom meetings with the executives making these decisions. I don't know what their profit margins or budgets are. All I know is that their cost of doing business domestically has substantially increased due to govt policy, which seems like a conflict of interest based on what the president is currently selling
    Regarding this... "All I know is that their cost of doing business domestically has substantially increased due to govt policy"... in the form of a 2.3% tax hike on their profits.
    Got it. That 2.3% hit holds a greater value than the employees that will be reduced in order to preserve that 2.3% from their earnings.
    Again, what does that tell you about the company?
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    whygohomewhygohome Posts: 2,305
    Cosmo wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:

Regarding this... "All I know is that their cost of doing business domestically has substantially increased due to govt policy"... in the form of a 2.3% tax hike on their profits.
    Got it. That 2.3% hit holds a greater value than the employees that will be reduced in order to preserve that 2.3% from their earnings.
    Again, what does that tell you about the company?

Damn fine management is what it tells me. Great patriots!!!

(sick, twisted, vile fucks, actually)