Options

SOUNDGARDEN - KING ANIMAL - Nov 13 2012

Comments

• Options
    Blood on the Valley floor... holy fuck :shock:

On my 4th run through this album, I honestly couldn't have asked for anything more. Ok, maybe a Like Suicide type 7 minute epic, but that's being picky. This album is fucking great.
  • Options
    JimNastics wrote:
    Blood on the Valley floor... holy fuck :shock:

On my 4th run through this album, I honestly couldn't have asked for anything more. Ok, maybe a Like Suicide type 7 minute epic, but that's being picky. This album is fucking great.

I couldn't agree with you more! This album kicks some serious arse! I think the section in Black Saturday that was used in the album trailer could have been a bit longer, then we could have got our Like Suicide-esque epic!

I hate to be in the narrow minded camp, but I really don't think Halfway There fits with the rest of the tracks! Yeah it sounds more like a Cornell solo track, and although I liked most of his solo stuff, it just seems to stick out!

I know when backspacer came out people said that there was quite a few Vedder sounding solo tracks, but they didn't seem as out of place to me, if you catch my drift?!
  • Options
    I get the Halfway there critisism but I think it just makes worse dreams even more awesome coming off the back of that track :D
  • Options
    I get the Halfway there critisism but I think it just makes worse dreams even more awesome coming off the back of that track :D

True! Nice way to put a positive spin on things :) In fact, it makes the last 3 tracks seem more awesome!
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    leaked
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Blocked at work. I'd be listening to it in full if I could.
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    leaked

From what I can tell, all of the leaks are just rips of the online iTunes and / or NME streams. Has anyone found a bona fide CD rip leak yet?
  • Options
    JimNastics wrote:
    LukinFan wrote:
    leaked

From what I can tell, all of the leaks are just rips of the online iTunes and / or NME streams. Has anyone found a bona fide CD rip leak yet?

Yeah same here, if there's a bonafide CD rip out there, please shoot me a PM!! Thanks! Album sounds excellent halfway into it. A Thousand Days....wow, I could see that song being an instant classic. And BOTVF fucking kills.
  • Options
    This sounds better than the NME stream, but I'm not sure if it's CD quality!

http://uploaded.net/file/ljrgsvwz
  • Options
    Neil Bruce wrote:
    This sounds better than the NME stream, but I'm not sure if it's CD quality!

http://uploaded.net/file/ljrgsvwz
    Thanks, I think my new album blackout ends today.
  • Options
    PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    This album is great!
    Matt Cameron's drumming :clap:
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I still have only heard the single. trying to hoooooold oooout..........help!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

Why? The album is streaming, you're not stealing it or hearing snippets. Its out, full audio on Itunes. You can listen for free and still purchase it next Tuesday......?
  • Options
    I've just started the album. This is a good day. Nobody better interrupt me at work.
  • Options
    Just finished my first run-through. It definitely sounds like Soundgarden, but not like any album in specific. They didn't try to emulate their prior successes, but rather created a natural evolution of their sound. There were some good hard tracks, and nice lighter ones. Sadly, nothing stuck out as stellar during this listen, but that could just be because of the shitty computer speakers at work. I'm going to restart it and give it another shot.
  • Options
    Just finished my first run-through. It definitely sounds like Soundgarden, but not like any album in specific. They didn't try to emulate their prior successes, but rather created a natural evolution of their sound. There were some good hard tracks, and nice lighter ones. Sadly, nothing stuck out as stellar during this listen, but that could just be because of the shitty computer speakers at work. I'm going to restart it and give it another shot.

Yeah you really need to crank it up on some decent speakers. Oh, and A Thousand Days Before is more than stellar!
  • Options
    I'm digging By Crooked Steps right now. Reminds me of some early SG with modern touches.
  • Options

Yeah you really need to crank it up on some decent speakers. Oh, and A Thousand Days Before is more than stellar!
    That song is starting now. CRANKING IT.
  • Options
    I'm digging By Crooked Steps right now. Reminds me of some early SG with modern touches.

Definitely, I love the intro too.
  • Options
    I can imagine the band playing Room a Thousand Years Wide - Superunknown - A Thousand Days Before together. Feels like they would flow pretty well.

Edit: Searching With My Good Eye Closed would also fit well beside it.
  • Options
    I can imagine the band playing Room a Thousand Years Wide - Superunknown - A Thousand Days Before together. Feels like they would flow pretty well.

Edit: Searching With My Good Eye Closed would also fit well beside it.

Yeah I could hear that, who knows, might get to see it on friday :mrgreen:
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    JK_Livin wrote:

Why? The album is streaming, you're not stealing it or hearing snippets. Its out, full audio on Itunes. You can listen for free and still purchase it next Tuesday......?

I need it portable to listen.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Yeah I could hear that, who knows, might get to see it on friday :mrgreen:
    I will settle for nothing less. (Next Friday for me)
  • Options
    Edrock78Edrock78 Posts: 167
    The album is better than I thought it would be, and I had high expectations. Rowing is my favorite as of right now
  • Options
    A Thousand Days Before leaves me at a loss for words.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    After my 5th listen through:

Been Away Too Long - 8 / 10

Non-State Actor - 8 / 10

By Crooked Steps - 9 / 10

A Thousand Days Before - 10 / 10

Blood On The Valley Floor - 10 / 10

Bones Of Birds - 10 / 10

Taree - 10 / 10

Attrition - 8 / 10

Black Saturday - 9 / 10

Halfway There - 5 / 10

Worse Dreams - 9 / 10

Eyelid's Mouth - 9 / 10

Rowing - 10 / 10

What an incredible album... My favorite songs as you can see are A Thousand Days Before, Blood On The Valley Floor, Bones Of Birds, Taree, and Rowing. A Thousand Days Before is definitely the most "epic" song to me on the album. Super euphoric and just transcending. I listen to it and just get sucked into another universe. Insane. Blood On The Valley floor is one of the best heavy songs they've ever written I think, honestly. It manages to be very catchy and groovy but not even slightly commercial. The first chorus sends chills down my spine and the breakdown at the end is perfection. I agree with the Mailman references. Bones Of Birds and Taree share that "dry cold feel" as someone else stated. It is the empty space and small layers in the songs that give it such emotion even when they are not belting out heavy guitars and vocals. Chris's lyrics on both are amazing and just paint images. The moodiest songs and easily two of the best. They, more than any other songs on the album, place me right into the land of the album cover. Rowing, on the other hand, is something so different and just brilliant. It combines Mark Lanegan-ish wandering, harsh gospel blues, in both the lyrics, vocals, and music in the begining. The bass is INCREDIBLE. Finally, when the guitar drone busts in with heavier drums, Superunknown era SG emerges. Awesome.

Not too far behind these songs for me are By Crooked Steps, Black Saturday, Worse Dreams, and Eyelid's Mouth. By Crooked Steps showcases unbelievable vocals and I love the teetering on the edge of destruction feel of the whole song. Black Saturday is the most DOTU song on the album if you ask me. So excellent. Very Zeppelin-esque as well. The guitar work in this one, both acoustic and electric is really unique and awesome. Worse Dreams, in the verses, brings me right to LTL days. The second verse does this especially. That creepy Sabbath-like guitar and bass down stepping is what does it. The chorus is catchier than I would have imagined for the verses, but still very good. I do like the verses better though. The end, however is perfection. Reminds me of Slaves And Bulldozers. Eyelid's Mouth also brings me back to around that time, but actually a little more Badmotorfinger, yet catchier. Really cool vocal effects and a great chorus. The shredding at the end is beautiful.

Been Away Too Long, Non-State Actor, and Attrition are extremely good songs. Not up there with those others for me but still CLEARLY SG and very very good. Been Away Too Long really has grown on me. All the different parts of that song are truly great. More to it than I originially gave it credit for. Non-State Actor reminds me of Let Me Drown (not quite as good but still). It just kicks ass. Great Thayil riff-fest and actually one of my favorite choruses. Attrition reminds me of my favorite band (only one above SG), Pearl Jam. A quirky, punky, shit storm of rock n roll. Awesome. No flaws with it, but not amazing.

Now, now. Halfway There, while solid as a SONG is just NOT SG to me. On Carry On it would have been solid. But I mean, I think even everything on Euphoria Morning and most Audioslave is better than this. Too poppy for SG. Definitey out of place on this album. Thayil salvages some points for it though with his layered guitar parts and solo. Should have kept this one off though.

Overall though, AMAZING album. I'm gonna be consumed by this album for months. It is all I'm gonna listen to. Thanks SG, you gone done it again.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I cannot wait to listen to this album when I get the time to do so!!! I keep hearing amazing reviews!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    samjam wrote:
    I cannot wait to listen to this album when I get the time to do so!!! I keep hearing amazing reviews!
    iTunes is streaming if you can't wait to listen.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Newch91 wrote:
    samjam wrote:
    I just don't have the time!! Friday, though. Got a date with my headphones and King Animal :lol:
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    samjam wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    samjam wrote:
    I just don't have the time!! Friday, though. Got a date with my headphones and King Animal :lol:
    :lol: I gave it a first listen as I was writing something for class today. Liked it but will have to give it a closer listen.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful