Options

SOUNDGARDEN - KING ANIMAL - Nov 13 2012

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I know my review earlier wasn't all that glowing.
    But, the more I listen to it the more I like it.
    Perhaps I should wait a bit before reviewing.
    I think the difference is I was listening to the album in my car today.
    Listening to it whilst online means I am not focusing on the music 100%.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,562
    But when you get behind the wheel of an automobile you can direct every ounce of your attention to the music. :lol::lol:;)

Love the album - can't wait to get my LP; it can't come soon enough. Now just have to see if I can get a ticket to the show, which is a big IF judging from the stub hub action on the first few shows. :evil:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    But when you get behind the wheel of an automobile you can direct every ounce of your attention to the music. :lol::lol:;)

My car has no 10c forum or Facebook lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    The first listen should never be discounted. There have been many albums I've disliked or been underwhelmed by during the first spin. The car test is one of my most favoured ways of giving new music a chance.

I'm glad it's growing on you. I don't expect it to hit everyone the way it did for me, but if you're liking it, good on ya!
  • Options
    The first listen should never be discounted. There have been many albums I've disliked or been underwhelmed by during the first spin. The car test is one of my most favoured ways of giving new music a chance.

I'm glad it's growing on you. I don't expect it to hit everyone the way it did for me, but if you're liking it, good on ya!

Thanks dude.
    I disliked Binaural after I first listened to it, now I rate it right up there as one of my favourite Pearl Jam albums.
    I guess as you mature your tastes change.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Yeah I know, read them.
    I am the only one here without a glowing feedback on the album.
    Anyone agree with me?

I'm with you. There are a few standout tracks, but overall there's alot of middle of the road, almost uncompleted ideas. I find it all listenable and after a couple listens I thought there might be some growers, but after a few more times through quite a bit of it I feel like skipping ahead or going back to the few that I really like.

I couldn't agree more. If given the choice between calling this album "good" or "bad", I'd choose "good". But if given the choice between "classic" and "forgettable", I'm going "forgettable." There's certainly good riffs here, good bridges there, Soundgardeney guitar solos, etc.....but I just can't see me ever "caring" about these songs like I do past Soundgarden songs.

It's better than Backspacer though. I'll give it that.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Yeah I know, read them.
    I am the only one here without a glowing feedback on the album.
    Anyone agree with me?

I'm with you. There are a few standout tracks, but overall there's alot of middle of the road, almost uncompleted ideas. I find it all listenable and after a couple listens I thought there might be some growers, but after a few more times through quite a bit of it I feel like skipping ahead or going back to the few that I really like.

I couldn't agree more. If given the choice between calling this album "good" or "bad", I'd choose "good". But if given the choice between "classic" and "forgettable", I'm going "forgettable." There's certainly good riffs here, good bridges there, Soundgardeney guitar solos, etc.....but I just can't see me ever "caring" about these songs like I do past Soundgarden songs.

It's better than Backspacer though. I'll give it that.

Avocado and Riot Act as well for me.... King Animal is solid, excellent from tracks 1 to 9
    then Eyelids Mouth, the others are OK apart from Halfway There. For me, PJ haven't shown this kind of consistency on one album since Binaural or maybe even Yield.
  • Options
    Why don't people know that Riot Act and Avocado are absolutely amazing albums?? Riot act is probably my fave out of them all! It always pricks my heart just a bit when people say it's not fantastic! ;)

I cannot compare SG to PJ is any way, shape or form. That wouldn't be fair to SG, given how much I love PJ. But I think the album is VERY Soundgardeny. I was really surprised to hear that people weren't also struck by it. I can't say that it's going to be more memorable or forgettable. It really hasn't been around long enough for anyone to know that. We are all nostalgic about SG songs from our past, and we all heard them hundreds of times. I will have to wait at least a year to know if this album will have a strong impression on me for the long haul. But I really like it. Being honest, I can't remember the actual feeling I had the first time I listened to Superunknown (unlike PJ albums - I remember that feeling!), but I seriously doubt it was immediate forever-love the first time I heard it. My nostalgic feelings tempt me to think of it in that way, but realistically, I think it is more likely that I had to hear the album a few or several times and live life with its presence for a little bit before I actually started feeling like it was all that and a bag of chips. It's likely that on the first couple of listens I felt no more strongly about it than I do about the new album right now (positive, looking forward to listening to it more, glad about the album tour). All I know is that I immediately liked this album when I heard it and was pleased it was really still SG IMO. The rest I will judge later, after some time and a live show! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Thanks dude.
    I disliked Binaural after I first listened to it, now I rate it right up there as one of my favourite Pearl Jam albums.
    I guess as you mature your tastes change.
    I hated Backspacer when it was released. A year and a half later, I popped it on in the car and it finally clicked with me.

I've been listening to King Animal a lot and I'm thinking By Crooked Steps, A Thousand Days Before and Black Saturday are my current favourites.
  • Options
    Soundgarden were absolutely amazing on Friday. They sounded incredible, a nice mix of sounds from Ultramega OK all the way to the new album. Much better in that environment then at festivals and arenas. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a euro tour next year. If you get the chance, go.
  • Options
    Soundgarden were absolutely amazing on Friday. They sounded incredible, a nice mix of sounds from Ultramega OK all the way to the new album. Much better in that environment then at festivals and arenas. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a euro tour next year. If you get the chance, go.
    That's great to hear. How were the new songs live?
  • Options

Rowing was incredible as was Attrition. They'll only get better as they play them more and more.
  • Options
    lyearslyears Posts: 212
    CD has arrived, my afternoon is sorted :D
    Hyde Park 25/06/10 - Manchester 20/06/12 - Leeds 08/07/14
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Can I assume that the vinyl will come with a download code?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525

Rowing was incredible as was Attrition. They'll only get better as they play them more and more.

Rowing was awesome on Friday night. Sounds so much better live than on record.

Had 3 listens in a row of King Animal yesterday. Its a grower. 1st listen was abit disappointed - I think in part this was cos of seeing them on Friday night, the songs didn't hit me like they did live and the 1st time I'd hear some King Animal tracks was live :D - but by the 3rd listen yesterday I was really enjoying it. Had it on the mp3 player this morning to work, so in a sense I'm getting a proper listen now (I was putting a wardrobe together while listening to it yesterday :lol::lol::lol: )
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    wow, 30 seconds in and nothing available
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    Wow, what's the deal with this, I'm on laptop and app and immediately at 0800 it's taking forever...
  • Options
    Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    I was on the fence about going to the Boston show, wanted to see if I could grab some decent tix.
    Got in right away and got Balcony, tried again and it was sold out. Now its a 15 min wait to find tix.

Must of been a very low number of tix for fanclub.
  • Options

Cool, I've been imagining Rowing as a good live track. Can't wait to hear it.
  • Options
    Grabbed a pair for the 2nd Hammerstein show no issues at all trying to get them it was very easy.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    easiest presale ever. got em right away.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Same.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    was a battle, but kept trying. pair for DC popped up at 10:18.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    I was only trying for a single, finally got through for 1 ticket in GG (4th row) of Orch Right Center at Boston Orpheum. :P
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Same.

very cool

i can't wait to see them in sucha small venue and even moreso the new cd coming in the mail tomorrow
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    it won't work for me - what am i doing wrong
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    it won't work for me - what am i doing wrong

yeah it seems like the presale isn't working for MKE, maybe other shows too. Very strange presale! I got tix for Chicago...they never even asked for the password :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Can I assume that the vinyl will come with a download code?
    Yes, I believe I read when I bought it that it comes with a card with a pass code for the download (plus that one track that we got immediately upon ordering).
  • Options
    Same.
    It was really rough for me - ticketmaster claiming server connection probs for 40 minutes and i was getting pretty frustrated - but then I got row 6 right centre (or maybe left centre) orchestra for Vancouver at around 10:45!
  • Options
    I ended up getting 4 separate tickets - row 7, 10, 14 and 16.

Not ideal but whatever