Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    SolarWorld wrote:
    cp3iverson wrote:
    i like how people think that the entire audience is made up of millionaires and that they're all corporate thugs. To me this looks like a convention for everyday working people. Yes the week costs $2500 but anyone with a job on here should realize that companies send their 9-5 workers to these things for training, networking, marketing, etc. A lot of companies DEMAND that their workers go to these things. $2500 is a drop in the bucket for any business or office. Haven't you people ever heard of training budgets? :lol: How is this even news. Pearl Jam/Vedder have played corporate gigs/parties before going back 10 years or so. I better stop tho. In this community sometimes it's bad to talk about the corporate world. I'll go occupy my office now.

:clap:

:thumbup: This isn't a private show for Oracle executives, the people attending are from companies that use Oracle, regular IT workers who are going to this conference for training. I mean bash them for doing it if you want, but Pearl Jam isn't charging $2400 a ticket for a concert, the money is for the week long conference.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    dougfloyd wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    Hey!!!
    I'm an Oracle DBA. I should see if work will send me up there, huh?

you'll need a +1 :)

Me too and it looks like I'm probably going to be able to go :D norm, you need me to sneak you in? :lol:

could ya?! awesome...i'll be waiting by the fire exit! ;):lol:
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,933
    dougfloyd wrote:
    This isn't a private show for Oracle executives, the people attending are from companies that use Oracle, regular IT workers who are going to this conference for training. I mean bash them for doing it if you want, but Pearl Jam isn't charging $2400 a ticket for a concert, the money is for the week long conference.

This is the point that I'm not sure everyone understands. PJ isn't charging $2400 for tickets and the audience is going to be a diverse group. Not really keeping in line with their rhetoric but nothing to really be up in arms about, either.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    I don't see the big deal with this. As previously mentioned, this is a weeklong event with seminars/exhibitors for Oracle's clients. Why the fuck would you want to go if you don't work with Oracle products?

Those that are pissed are way too obsessed with this band and their personal views. Get over it and go listen to the MUSIC. That's why we are here, isn't it?
  • Options
    an an oracle employee, all i can say is FUCK YES!!!!

i can't make missoula because of this conference. this totally makes my day!
    We were but stones... Your light made us stars
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,269

Cool, enjoy the show!
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    dougfloyd wrote:
    :thumbup: This isn't a private show for Oracle executives, the people attending are from companies that use Oracle, regular IT workers who are going to this conference for training. I mean bash them for doing it if you want, but Pearl Jam isn't charging $2400 a ticket for a concert, the money is for the week long conference.
    Correct. Oracle Openworld is a convention that has seminars and demos and a floor full of third party crap to sell to Oracle customers. It is basically an Oracle Users Groups meeting. The conference is all week and they usually have after hours crap that people can go to if they want.
    If you live in the San Francisco area... go up there on that gig date and see if you can borrow someone's credentials to get into the gig. It'll be tough because you will have to figure out a way to get it back to them so they can attend the rest of the conference.
    I would also keep an ear out for a local Pearl Jam gig at a smaller club in the area.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    They can play their music wherever and whenever yes. Everyone deserves to make the best living that they can. They are millionaires and don't need it..but who knows what goes on. Maybe they donate it to charily. Maybe they put it in trust funds for their kids. Who knows. I don't care about the money.
    The thing that I find disappointing is that they keep trying to push the tried and true anti-corporate image that (some of us) brought many of us to them in the first place. Do what you want. Play where you want. Charge what you want. But then Own Up to it all. MAN UP.
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Some things in life are bad
    They can really make you mad
    Other things just make you swear and curse.
    When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
    Always look on the light side of life...
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    StillHere wrote:
    They can play their music wherever and whenever yes. Everyone deserves to make the best living that they can. They are millionaires and don't need it..but who knows what goes on. Maybe they donate it to charily. Maybe they put it in trust funds for their kids. Who knows. I don't care about the money.
    The thing that I find disappointing is that they keep trying to push the tried and true anti-corporate image that (some of us) brought many of us to them in the first place. Do what you want. Play where you want. Charge what you want. But then Own Up to it all. MAN UP.

Who exactly keep pushing this? Stone just did a UPS commercial. When did Pearl Jam ever say fuck EVERYTHING corporation? They were always about injustices that corporations were responsible for. Not fuck all people and companies making money.
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    as i said on page 4....

hand anyone in this thread a pass and see how fast they fly through that fucking door

wahhhh oracle .... you'll be in there in a heartbeat
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    as i said on page 4....

hand anyone in this thread a pass and see how fast they fly through that fucking door

This is the truth.
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    as i said on page 4....

I wouldn't.
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    halv wrote:
    as i said on page 4....

I wouldn't.

if you're outside the venue..i don't believe you
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    edited August 2012
    At this point in their careers I could care less about the whole sellout angle. If the band plays private corporate shows like this it's up to them I guess. Its not the first time they've done so and clearly they've changed their stance on such matters over the years.

I do find it a bit disheartening though, that they can find time in their schedule to play events like this, but can't schedule more than a couple festival appearances for the general public in their home country, for the fans who stood by them for years and actually put them in this position. I'm not pissed off, but the more they continue this new outlook on gigs, the less I care. It's their choice I suppose, as is mine to spend my money to see other acts who actually make the effort to get on the road and connect with their fans more than a handful of times, whenever the fuck they feel like it.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    halv wrote:
    as i said on page 4....

I wouldn't.

..i don't believe you

Nothing I can do about that.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    halv wrote:
    as i said on page 4....

I wouldn't.

if your outside the venue..i don't believe you

That couldn't be pearl jam in there. They would never play the Pit
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    LloydXmas wrote:

everybody gets laid would
  • Options
    inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    You've been quite consistent in that throughout your career. As far as I can tell you've never really put the ego thing out there, which I think is to your credit because this is a business driven by ego. You've managed to step back from that and yet the messages are still the same. Do you see that ego gets in the way of the message, and that you have a big message this time?

I think we're very fortunate that whatever foundation we laid as far as trust and maybe some communication with the audience -- and I hate to mention it in some kind of sacred way -- but whatever happened there, we've been fortunate that it continues and allows us to do things in a low key way.

The ego thing doesn't do it for me or us to the point where I see other people doing these MTV diaries or shoving their face at us all the time I immediately distrust them and think they're completely whacked out.

They might be able to remain human inside that and there is a certain amount of arse-kissing that goes around this [business]. But it doesn't do it for us and makes us feel very strange. I mean it feels very strange to us to come to our practice place and see a food table out [for the journalists]. "Wow, that's kinda fancy".

The comedian Bill Hicks said that the second an artist endorses a product they were off the roll call forever because you could never trust a thing they would say after that.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I saw something with Wyclef Jean last night for some fucking product and Counting Crows for Coca-Cola or something. Fuck them. Busta Rhymes for anti-perspirant? What the fuck is that? Why? They have a set of morals they can run with and that's fine but I'm just gonna say, "Fuck you".

I assume no corporate sponsors have come to your management for years because they know of your attitude?

I don't know. We probably wouldn't hear about it. I remember being asked by the Gap years and years ago to do one of their black and white photos and I even thought about it and taking their $60,000 or whatever and giving it to a charity. But I wanted to say it would go to the charity on the bottom and they wouldn't do it.

There are older bands which might do it. I question bands' motivations but maybe the Buzzcocks for Toyota, maybe that's okay because maybe they could use a few dollars.

But times have changed and now it's a way to promote your single as opposed to the video. So now you've got Sheryl Crow doing a video which looks like a Mountain Dew commercial and then you've got that same song being used as an ad two weeks before the record comes out. I think it's clever marketing because it works for everybody, but it also lowers the respect level.

This is interesting in that it shows that the music industry has got a whole lot smarter in terms of marketing in the past few decades.

It's diabolical.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    norm wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    Hey!!!
    I'm an Oracle DBA. I should see if work will send me up there, huh?

you'll need a +1 :)
    yes....hey Cosmo!!!i have great boobs!! :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

Cool, enjoy the show!
    +1
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I've always loved this line from the Propagandhi song "Rock For Sustainable Capitalism":

Music's power to describe, compel, renew...
    It's all a distant second to the offers you can't refuse.
    Anyone remember when we used to believe
    that music was a sacred place and not some fucking bank machine?
    Not something you just bought and sold?
    How could we have been so naive?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited August 2012
    Eddie Vedder was playing corporate events way before that interview. LOL.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    which one of you psychos is gonna pony up the $2400 to see the band at this "event"?

FUCK that.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    norm wrote:
    LloydXmas wrote:

everybody gets laid would
    :lol::lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    edited August 2012
    as i said on page 4....

This is an interesting/good point. But, as much as posters here will say "I don't believe you", I will stand by my words when I say that I wouldn't go.

My biggest reasoning would be that it's fair to assume that the majority of attendees wouldn't be those that would normally be in attendance at a non-corporate event PJ show and for me half of, if not more, of the enjoyment of a PJ show is the shared experience between myself and other sincere PJ fans like me.

Take it for whatever it's worth. I'm not saying it'd be easy for me to pass it up, because I always love seeing a PJ show... but this just isn't the type of PJ show I would choose to attend.

Everyone's gotta get a paycheck, I guess. :|
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    cp3iverson wrote:
    inlet13 wrote:
    You've been quite consistent in that throughout your career. As far as I can tell you've never really put the ego thing out there, which I think is to your credit because this is a business driven by ego. You've managed to step back from that and yet the messages are still the same. Do you see that ego gets in the way of the message, and that you have a big message this time?

I think we're very fortunate that whatever foundation we laid as far as trust and maybe some communication with the audience -- and I hate to mention it in some kind of sacred way -- but whatever happened there, we've been fortunate that it continues and allows us to do things in a low key way.

The ego thing doesn't do it for me or us to the point where I see other people doing these MTV diaries or shoving their face at us all the time I immediately distrust them and think they're completely whacked out.

They might be able to remain human inside that and there is a certain amount of arse-kissing that goes around this [business]. But it doesn't do it for us and makes us feel very strange. I mean it feels very strange to us to come to our practice place and see a food table out [for the journalists]. "Wow, that's kinda fancy".

The comedian Bill Hicks said that the second an artist endorses a product they were off the roll call forever because you could never trust a thing they would say after that.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I saw something with Wyclef Jean last night for some fucking product and Counting Crows for Coca-Cola or something. Fuck them. Busta Rhymes for anti-perspirant? What the fuck is that? Why? They have a set of morals they can run with and that's fine but I'm just gonna say, "Fuck you".

I assume no corporate sponsors have come to your management for years because they know of your attitude?

I don't know. We probably wouldn't hear about it. I remember being asked by the Gap years and years ago to do one of their black and white photos and I even thought about it and taking their $60,000 or whatever and giving it to a charity. But I wanted to say it would go to the charity on the bottom and they wouldn't do it.

There are older bands which might do it. I question bands' motivations but maybe the Buzzcocks for Toyota, maybe that's okay because maybe they could use a few dollars.

But times have changed and now it's a way to promote your single as opposed to the video. So now you've got Sheryl Crow doing a video which looks like a Mountain Dew commercial and then you've got that same song being used as an ad two weeks before the record comes out. I think it's clever marketing because it works for everybody, but it also lowers the respect level.

This is interesting in that it shows that the music industry has got a whole lot smarter in terms of marketing in the past few decades.

It's diabolical.

Eddie Vedder was playing corporate events way before that interview. and i still don't care.

Well, just like he was entitled to say "Fuck you" to Wyclef and Adam Duritz and Busta Bust, his fans can say "Fuck you, you fucking hypocrite" back to Ed and Pearl Jam. Everyone's entitled to an opinion on the slow movement this band has made towards completely selling out.

This isn't new though - you're right - it started long ago. I mean we pay to post here. I'm not begrudging them, I'm just pointing something out. If I were them, I would be doing the same thing they are. I just wouldn't have rattled on for years about the evils of doing it - that's what makes them even more call-out-able than Wyclef et al.

Regardless, Pearl Jam are my favorite band. I pay and will continue to because they are a good rock band. They aren't however, filled with the integrity I once thought they were. Not at all. I didn't even agree with them on most things political, but always respected their integrity, their passion - it was so rare. This is pretty much the sign from the afterlife that it's completely and totally not there anymore. That is all.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    SolarWorld wrote:
    cp3iverson wrote:
    i like how people think that the entire audience is made up of millionaires and that they're all corporate thugs. To me this looks like a convention for everyday working people. Yes the week costs $2500 but anyone with a job on here should realize that companies send their 9-5 workers to these things for training, networking, marketing, etc. A lot of companies DEMAND that their workers go to these things. $2500 is a drop in the bucket for any business or office. Haven't you people ever heard of training budgets? :lol: How is this even news. Pearl Jam/Vedder have played corporate gigs/parties before going back 10 years or so. I better stop tho. In this community sometimes it's bad to talk about the corporate world. I'll go occupy my office now.

:clap:

I'm in IT and I've been to these type of conventions conventions before (SAP, etc.). You are right in that the show is included in the cost of the convention/training/whatever it is and that the company you work for pays for it out of training budgets or whatever. I go to one a year at least.

Besides, didn't they just do something like this for Target a couple of years ago?

People like to get worked up though.

Whoever lives near there should get down there and find someone giving up their pass. There should be a ton of them (people who aren't into PJ, don't want to go to a concert, flying home early, etc.).
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,688
    norm wrote:

Tom Hanks should have won the Oscar for this movie. I am not joking in the least.

"Just because they showed up to collect the money, is no guarantee they'll show up to do the work...and if they do...I can't pay for it!!"
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    These guys have a right to go out and work for a living just like the rest of us. With that said, I didn’t show up to work for the last 20 years telling my clients how bullshit the company was.

I will always love this band for what they were/are, but times have changed. They are coming around the home stretch of their career and probably looking to cash in on their hard work. It’s a shame they have to become hypocrites to do it.
    :|
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013