Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    crussocrusso Posts: 45
    the price is crazy...there is no way even i had the money to pay this price..
    to all things there are limits..this cross those limits..

The price is for the Oracle software event. People who go there are being paid by their companies. This is pretty normal. The performances are considered an bonus for people attending. ( and is good PR for the companies).
    Claudio
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Larry Ellison has guaranteed his products will solve our 10C ticketing woes. PJ is playing for free products and services to help us reach ticketing bliss.

This in unofficial by the way.
  • Options
    and how can anyone judge what they are doing when they don't have a sweet clue what the band's motivations are for doing this? and even if you did, it's none of your business why they are doing it in the first place.

this band can't take a shit without people here bitching about the smell.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    and how can anyone judge what they are doing when they don't have a sweet clue what the band's motivations are for doing this? and even if you did, it's none of your business why they are doing it in the first place.

Kind of what I thought, for all anyone knows, Oracle could have made a big donation to the Vitalogy foundation to get them to do this. Of course, that would not stop the bitching or be good enough for a lot of people.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902

They all saw the deal before Ed and Jeff did. They know they are being paid in gold bullion dug out by the slave miners in Africa. Larry is bringing it over on one of his yachts.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,585
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Guess that's why they decided against the 2nd show in Missoula. Probably gonna drive straight there on Monday the 1st.

That's the only negative thing I have to say about the Oracle appearance, the fact that it takes place at the expense of the 2nd Missoula show.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options

i am on the i could care less side of the whole argument -- however i would assume that if the band hadnt spent so much time saying Fuck Taking Shits! and written songs expressing how much Fuck Taking Shits means to them people wouldnt be so surprised and upset when they decided to take a shit

but like i said - i could care less
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,269
    crusso wrote:
    the price is crazy...there is no way even i had the money to pay this price..
    to all things there are limits..this cross those limits..

The price is for the Oracle software event. People who go there are being paid by their companies. This is pretty normal. The performances are considered an bonus for people attending. ( and is good PR for the companies).
    i understand..im a fan of this band...im thinking as a fan
    .the number of the price of see this event is crazy..
    maybe the band dont get any money from all this,money go to charity etc..
    still....the price is crazy for a fan to see a show..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Guess that's why they decided against the 2nd show in Missoula. Probably gonna drive straight there on Monday the 1st.

That's the only negative thing I have to say about the Oracle appearance, the fact that it takes place at the expense of the 2nd Missoula show.

Tester show is a favor and a net (negative) on the balance sheet.
  • Options

this show is not for the fans.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    crussocrusso Posts: 45
    however i would assume that if the band hadnt spent so much time saying Fuck Taking Shits! and written songs expressing how much Fuck Taking Shits means to them people wouldnt be so surprised and upset when they decided to take a shits

Actually, that is true. It doesn't sit right with me, because I didn't expect it is something they would want to do. I like PJ for their music and their music alone. I think their principles is what helped them to make music the way they do now. It doesn't matter what we think, it's more important whether they can live it with themselves. And I believe they can, they've been through too much to start selling out after all these years. I doubt they need it.

Still, doesn't feel right, but ah well, I'll live.
    Claudio
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    norm wrote:
    they wanna play corporate gigs for $$$? awesome, go for it...i was never one that cared about their social or political stances...i'm here for the music

but when you only play 3 shows in the us in nearly 3 years and instead of playing shows for your fans, you play a corporate party? yeah, i think i got a problem with that...play a 15 show west coast tour and they'll make the same $$

Yup.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,321
    So what the fuck has happened to the band , fuck these types of events .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    djsmoot wrote:
    Oracle has over 380,000 customers that include the largest corporations and the most well respected non-profit foundations.

Corporations are people my friend
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    edited August 2012
    deleted. why waste the time.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    cp3iverson wrote:
    i like how people think that the entire audience is made up of millionaires and that they're all corporate thugs. To me this looks like a convention for everyday working people. Yes the week costs $2500 but anyone with a job on here should realize that companies send their 9-5 workers to these things for training, networking, marketing, etc. A lot of companies DEMAND that their workers go to these things. $2500 is a drop in the bucket for any business or office. Haven't you people ever heard of training budgets? :lol: How is this even news. Pearl Jam/Vedder have played corporate gigs/parties before going back 10 years or so. I better stop tho. In this community sometimes it's bad to talk about the corporate world. I'll go occupy my office now.

:clap:
  • Options
    PNuttyJamPNuttyJam Posts: 837
    Jeebus Christmas some people are so hard to please. A company has an annual event to bring together their vendors and customers, share knowledge and appreciation for their business. As a part of the event, they hire a huge band to play for their customers. Why are you angry? How does this effect your life? It doesn't, unless you are coincidentally lucky enough to be going to OpenWorld (paid for by your employer) and now get to see the greatest band on the planet. Still the same great dudes making beautiful music for your listening pleasure.

My only grievance that they're playing OpenWorld instead of Salesforce's Dreamforce. I'm a Salesforce admin and have gotten lucky enough to see Stevie Wonder, Black Crowes and Metallica at Dreamforce. This year it's Red Hot Chili Peppers. Neil Young is a great friend of their CEO and actually spoke during the keynote last year. Dreamforce is one hell of a party. Open bars with craft beer, food trucks and great tunes. Dear PJ - Please play Dreamforce next year!!!
    Mesa I - 11/93 * Toledo - 9/96 * Chicago - 6/98 * St Louis - 7/98 * Indy - 8/98 * St Louis & San Diego - 10/00 * Mt View II - 10/01 * Irvine I & II, San Diego - 6/03 * Chicago I - 5/06 * San Diego & SF III - 7/06 * Lolla - 8/07 * EV Chicago - 8/08 * Chicago I & II - 8/09 * Kansas City & Indy - 5/10 * PJ20 X2 - 9/11 * Atlanta 9/12 * Wrigley Field 7/13 * Moline & Milwaukee 10/14 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/16 * Wrigley Field I & II 8/18 * Ohana Encore I & II 10/21 * EV & The Earthlings Chicago II 2/22
    Won the lottery PJ20 Night 1 - Front Row in front of Jeff - Forever grateful to Ten Club
    ***I wanna live my life with the volume full***
  • Options
    alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    FrankieG wrote:
    :fp: :corn:

Happy Tuesday!! :P
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    I agree with most that I could care less that the band is playing this event. I am envy of all Oracle employees who can go! I just feel bad for anyone near the event who cant see the band play a normal size show. Or for that matter, anyone in most of the United States who cant see a normal size show anymore.

Except for the South. They have seen the band enough!
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,321
    Why do people get bent over what each of us has to say wether we agree with the band on this or not , this is the Bands Forum we have the right to bitch or kiss their arses if we choose to it's ok to bitch people ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    SolarWorld wrote:
    SolarWorld wrote:
    And you dont think twice about what a bunch of spoiled keyboard warriors are going to think about it when you know you have food to put on the table and employees counting on you.

Ding ding ding, finally someone mentions that the band has to put food on the table! Irony-free, even! Cracks me up every time.

This band has an easier time feeding their families and paying their mortgages than any of the rest of us... that excuse... so funny.

Class warfare. Great... hopefully your simple train of though can follow.

So I am going to bet I have more money than you. In fact it's guaranteed. Now I also have a wife, a kid, a mortgage(s), property taxes, income taxes, business expenses, and yes "food" has to be put on the table. In your uninformed world you think I have an "easier" time paying my bills because I have more money than you do. It's one of the most uninformed idea that people have about class. Yes I can afford more crap than you can but I also have to pay for more crap. I dont even run a multi million dollar business, with 6 figure expenses and tax bills.

Hopefully when you are done "cracking up" you can see how simple you are being.

"Rich" people should stop making money, they can afford everything!"

OK buddy...

true that. I make more now than I did 20 years ago. So should PJ right? PROGRESS!
    For those that don't remember, this country offers equal opportunities, not equal results.

"YOU DIDN"T BUILD THIS"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,269

this show is not for the fans.
    oh..ok..then..i saw that resister for tix and i was confused.
    ,no reason to complain then..!!

ok.maybe a small complain,to add a few more shows for usa fans!!! :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,652
    Almost looks as bad as them signing with epic years ago back in their youth, right?

Almost looks as bad as them playing festivals with big corp as sponsors, right?

Look on the brightside, maybe they can talk to oracle bout upgrading the piss poor servers during ticket sales.

IBTL

:lol:

As soon as I read Oracle and Pearl Jam, this is what I thought.

I hope they're doing the show in exchange for Oracle setting up a ticketing server for them that actually works!

:lol::lol:
    SolarWorld wrote:

Tester show is a favor and a net (negative) on the balance sheet.

This is actually probably the biggest reason for this show. They have to make up the $ they're going to lose on the tester show somehow, and 3 festival dates + this show was probably the quickest, cleanest way to do it. I would venture to guess that if they could do the Tester show without a net loss, then none of the other shows would happen... but then Tester gets less campaign money... so...

And yes, I would equate the money they make from the other 4 shows to the loss from just the 1... Remember when RATM did a couple of dates last year to support one free show in the UK?

All the same, that doesn't make playing at a closed, corporate event ok, especially for this band - who grew up with the "Fuck corporations!" attitude, and likes to talk about the bond they have with their fans... this has nothing to do with fans, and everything to do with the bottom dollar...

So many different streams of thought, and so easy to side with either arguement...

I just hope Oracle fixes the servers for us. ;)
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Metallica played the Salesforce DreamForce convention, the only way to attend was to win tix from the MetClub or attend the Dreamforce convention. I dont see what the issue is with PJ doing a similar event, we are all about supporting the band, so we should be happy they can make some extra cash and keep doing what we love by doing this event.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Hey!!!
    I'm an Oracle DBA. I should see if work will send me up there, huh?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 786
    wowsa
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Cosmo wrote:
    Hey!!!

you'll need a +1 :)
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Hey, Pearl Jam is 21 now. Time for them to move out of their parents basement and get in the real world.
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    I agree - the band can do as they wish.

BUT - please quit saying they need to do this to put food on the table for their kids. Pearl jam has plenty of money. Eddie alone has plenty as well.

Let's do the math - an average of 15000 tickets per show at around 90 US dollars is 1,350,000. Now let's say that times 13 for this last euro tour alone, is 17,550,000 dollars.

Now, i realize it's not all profit and lots of things need to be paid for... But they are not broke.

Right here it says Eddie is worth 80 million and that hasnt been updated in years.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/riches ... net-worth/
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    norm wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    Hey!!!

you'll need a +1 :)

Me too and it looks like I'm probably going to be able to go :D norm, you need me to sneak you in? :lol:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis