Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    When did this band turn into Fugazi? I missed that tweet.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options

PBM

They didn't... They turned into a JOKE!

I heard through the grapevine that the working title of their forthcoming album is "The epitome of hypocrisy."
    You heard it here first!!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    So what the fuck has happened to the band , fuck these types of events .....
  • Options
    snl_farrell.jpg
  • Options
    Tboz51Tboz51 Posts: 2,808

PBM

I heard through the grapevine that the working title of their forthcoming album is "The epitome of hypocrisy."

be careful... there are rats in this forum that'll rat you our for having an opposing view point of anything PJ. They will then ban you from the forum.

No one is allowed to disagree or question what PJ does with themselves.

This is a love fest site...

Those lost young men we use to follow who fought against 2500$ tix prices and oppressing people and their opinions are forever gone.

This new regime will take any money they can get no matter the cost to their reputation or to their respect they have earned.

Don't worry though, there are plenty of cheerleader clowns in here that'll set you straight about yourself for questioning anything that PJ does....
    "Honesty will always be construed as negative to a dumbass"
    :-)
  • Options
    Tboz51 wrote:

PBM

be careful... there are rats in this forum that'll rat you our for having an opposing view point of anything PJ. They will then ban you from the forum.

Those lost young men we use to follow who fought against 2500$ tix prices and oppressing people and their opinions are forever gone.

This new regime will take any money they can get no matter the cost to their reputation or to their respect they have earned.

Don't worry though, there are plenty of cheerleader clowns in here that'll set you straight about yourself for questioning anything that PJ does....

I believe the tickets are only $2,400...
  • Options
    I stand corrected, thank you.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    edited August 2012
    Post edited by Better Dan on
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,577
    shep wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Not that this is necessarily the case here, but some bands that do corporate gigs often do them to create work for their crew members during the bands downtime.

this is exactly what's going on here.... I hope everyone realizes that in their post.

The band decided to play a promotional event for John Tester.

To do this, that means they have to mobilize the ground crew.

Most people don't realize the mobilization fee is ridiculous large compared to the operating cost. In order to pay off the mobilization costs, the band would have looked at exactly how many shows it would take to put them back in the black for the "tour".

The number of shows worked out to 3 festivals + this gig. End of story. It was the quickest, easiest way to not have a net loss for playing the promotional even for Tester.

Again - I point out to the RATM tour of Europe last year... what was it 4 shows + the free show in the UK? Same deal.

Just because PJ are donating a show to John Tester for his campaign fund it doesn't mean they don't have to pay the US ground crew...

I'm guessing they're getting paid for the Tester show. He's making money off meet and greet folks and dinner with Jeff folks, etc. They're probably taking a pay cut but I'm guessing they'll make a profit.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    norm wrote:
    they wanna play corporate gigs for $$$? awesome, go for it...i was never one that cared about their social or political stances...i'm here for the music

but when you only play 3 shows in the us in nearly 3 years and instead of playing shows for your fans, you play a corporate party? yeah, i think i got a problem with that...play a 15 show west coast tour and they'll make the same $$

Yup.

Hey, they've done more corporate shows than they've played Texas in the past 10 years. :fp:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    and how can anyone judge what they are doing when they don't have a sweet clue what the band's motivations are for doing this? and even if you did, it's none of your business why they are doing it in the first place.

this band can't take a shit without people here bitching about the smell.
    i am on the i could care less side of the whole argument -- however i would assume that if the band hadnt spent so much time saying Fuck Taking Shits! and written songs expressing how much Fuck Taking Shits means to them people wouldnt be so surprised and upset when they decided to take a shit

but like i said - i could care less

Bingo! this is the band that went on stage and made fun of Bill Gates for being rich . :roll:
  • Options
    skeetopunk01skeetopunk01 Posts: 145
    edited August 2012
    Tboz51 wrote:
    I'm a Metclub member as well and won tickets via a contest to the Dreamforce 2011 show. What a cool experience that was. I'm sure Pearl Jam will do something similar, set up a contest for tenclub members. If you get selected, you get to bring a +1. When I won the contest, I took another Metclub member for free. Keep in mind, some winners were charging hundreds for there +1's. Guess What.... because I did that... someone took me to Night 4 of the 30th Anniversary Metallica shows at the Fillmore last December for free. Those +1 tickets were going for $400+ on the Metallica forums.

How great is this?

One member gets to go see Pearl Jam at a concert for executives.

I am sure glad the 250,000+ membership of Pearl Jams fan club are being rewarded for their years of loyalty.

With the opportunity to maybe win a contest to go see your band that hasn't done a tour for nearly 2 years in the US.

The chances of winning this unbelievable thing will probably get another 100,000 US fans to join the site and maybe in the next 5 years have a 10 city tour of the USA.

Good times

There were about 50 winners and they all got a plus 1. Keep in mind, mostly locals like myself entered as the concert was on a Wednesday night and most people couldn't make it out to S.F. in the middle of the week.
    2010: Mountain View, CA (10/23)
    2011: East Troy, WI (9/3-9/4)
    2012: Missoula, MT (09/30) - San Francisco, CA (10/03)
    2013: Chicago, Ill (07/19) - Los Angeles (11/23 - 11/24) - Oakland (11/26) - Portland (11/29) - Spokane (11/30) - Seattle (12/06)
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    the best band in the world is fucking selling out...

and playing this lame ass corporate convention is absolutely disgusting...

and i dont give a fuck if you agree with my opinion or not...
  • Options
    my2hands wrote:
    the best band in the world is fucking selling out...

and playing this lame ass corporate convention is absolutely disgusting...

and i dont give a fuck if you agree with my opinion or not...
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Tboz51 wrote:

PBM

From the guy with a PJ tat...Sh*ts getting cray

(I have one too)
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    I have to admit to being sad about all this. :( However, my hope is that a portion of the take will be donated to charity. And that's all I have to say about that.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Who gives a fuck? I hope they are making a shit load for a an hours work. Good for them.

Just tour next year.

Here we are now, entertain us.
  • Options
    I have to admit to being sad about all this. :( However, my hope is that a portion of the take will be donated to charity. And that's all I have to say about that.

why does a portion of everything this band does have to go to fucking charity?? it's their money. does a certain percentage of all of your cheques go to charity? it doesn't matter how much money you make, it's all relative.

i'd guess that PJ has given a much larger percentage of their net income to various charities than any of us. And no, you can't say "well they are rich", I said PERCENTAGE.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    I fucking hate when they do shit like this, so disappointing.
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686

why does a portion of everything this band does have to go to fucking charity?? it's their money. does a certain percentage of all of your cheques go to charity? it doesn't matter how much money you make, it's all relative.

i'd guess that PJ has given a much larger percentage of their net income to various charities than any of us. And no, you can't say "well they are rich", I said PERCENTAGE.

we need more PERCENTAGE of shows that's all, no more festivals and random appearances, been 2 years with "only scheduled U.S. non-festival date" C'mon!!!
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,577
    Better Dan wrote:
    ComeToTX wrote:
    norm wrote:
    they wanna play corporate gigs for $$$? awesome, go for it...i was never one that cared about their social or political stances...i'm here for the music

but when you only play 3 shows in the us in nearly 3 years and instead of playing shows for your fans, you play a corporate party? yeah, i think i got a problem with that...play a 15 show west coast tour and they'll make the same $$

Yup.

Hey, they've done more corporate shows than they've played Texas in the past 10 years. :fp:

Great point!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Newsflash....you'll likely be disappointed if you live and breath every word someone you don't know says.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    edited August 2012
    The $2,400 goes to Oracle, not to Pearl Jam.
    Pearl Jam will get paid for the gig, none of us know how much... and it's none of our business.
    The price of $2,400 is for the week long conference. It pays the instructors, speakers, written materials, advertisements, catring and entertainment (which is where Pearl Jam comes in).
    If you are like me and have to apply PSU sets to Oracle databases, have to upgrade from Oracle 11G to Oracle 12c in the next couple of years and are migrating from HP UNIX boxes to LINUX RAC systems using ASM disk arrays... then, that's what you are paying for... actually, that is what your company is paying for. To get you up to speed to keep their databases secure and running.
    Although... I'm one of those toss me into the fire and i'll put it out kind of people... I just want to see Pearl Jam... then, go home.
    Post edited by Cosmo on
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    The thing that bothers me is that PJ is now a band that plays corporate events. To me, that is up there with touring state fairs. It means you aren't that relevant anymore. It means your music is safe.

I had a blast following the band in Europe. PJ is still great. I questioned before the tour whether PJ really even cared about the band anymore, but after seeing the fun they had in Europe (and the fun I had in Europe) I've started listening to the band more often and getting back into the music (and not just seeing live shows). I came to terms a while ago that this band is a lot different than the band 10 years ago, so this Oracle thing doesn't bug me like it would have a few years ago. I don't think that Pearl Jam should have done it based on how vocal they have been in the past about being anti-corporate (which some people on here seem to have forgotten).

Why not play 4-5 more shows FOR FANS in the US and make money that way? This I don't understand.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I came to terms a while ago that this band is a lot different than the band 10 years ago, so this Oracle thing doesn't bug me like it would have a few years ago.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    edited August 2012

Why not play 4-5 more shows FOR FANS in the US and make money that way? This I don't understand.

Because it's 4-5 times the work and they have earned the right to make money however they see fit. Maybe they want to spend more time with their families, maybe they want to go on vacation, maybe they want to play with side projects. Maybe they want to make a quick buck after being robbed of hundreds of thousands of dollars and being taken advantage of. All decisions that are up to them after working in the same job for 20 years.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753

^THIS
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    edited August 2012
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Because it's 4-5 times the work and they have earned the right to make money however they see fit. Maybe they want to spend more time with their families, maybe they want to go on vacation, maybe they want to play with side projects. Maybe they want to make a quick buck after being robbed of hundreds of thousands of dollars and being taken advantage of. All decisions that are up to them after working in the same job for 20 years.

You realize that their families were with them on tour in Europe, right? You realize that from early November 2011 through mid-June of 2012 the band never played a show, right? 7 months. How long are your vacations? This is a band that flat out doesn't want to play that many shows. They have earned that right. I just think it is odd, that's all.

I think the band owes it to the fans to play two nights in Montana. They know we are all following them there. A lot of people are paying a lot of money for flights (yes, our decisions). I would think a band that truly, truly holds the fans in high regards would have scheduled two shows.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    Tboz51 wrote:

This is a love fest site

Because it's so much more fun listening to people grouse over minutia.
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Obviously this debate isn't about whether they should be able to make money off their craft. To me the debate centers around the fact that they have been outspoken about corporates their entire career....and now this. My guess is that we will get an explanation soon enough just like we did with the Target thing. Money to charity or cause...something to that effect.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013