Options

Pearl Jam to play Oracle OpenWorld

Comments

• Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Sadly, this isnt and really shouldnt be all that shocking to any of you.
    We've seen this coming on the horizon. Each year, farther and farther away the band that used to operate by a different set of rules.
    I have prepared myself for this over the past 10 yrs. It is what it is.

To be honest, the future is most likely to be even more of a head scratcher.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    Mikee J wrote:
    I think its perfectly reasonable that some fans find it odd that Pearl Jam, a band that has stood against the corporate world in the past, will be playing a semi-private corporate event for one of the biggest corporate companies in the world.

Its not a case of ownership of the band, its a case of it being weird. One of the main reasons many of us fell for this band was not only their music but their outlook on the world and this event appears not to correlate with the PJ we all knew in the past.

Sure, times change, people grow up and their priorities change. But do PJ NEED to do this? Probably not.

So it must be weird to see pj play festivals that are sponsored by big corp or is that ok cause fans can get tix unlike this corporate event??

This is a good point, and I have never been a big fan of the big corporate festivals (Glastonbury is the greatest fest in the world, no question).That is also a sign of the times and yes, the issue of fan access is important. However, PJ have chosen to appear at this event, and it is not part of a tour as such. I think if you go down the "they always play to the corporate crowd" route they will never play live again. This is different and like I said before, a bit weird. Good luck to them. But they should bot be surprised at a few raised eyebrows.
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    Lament wrote:
    Why do I picture Michael Scott and Dwight Schrute trying to throw a party back at the hotel after this gig?

Anyone who says they'd rather go to the Pearl Jam show than Michael and Dwight's private hotel room party is a damn liar.

Agree!
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Man its like IQ points just fall out of people's heads on this message board. Is it really THAT hard for all of you to understand? You people really dont get it? There are more than 5 people in Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam LLC costs a lot of money to run, if a company (Ed has personal ties to someone at Oracle, a fact that most people here cant put their little minds around) like Oracle offers a fat payday for you during your "festival" year, in this economy where no one buys music anymore, you fucking take it! And you dont think twice about what a bunch of spoiled keyboard warriors are going to think about it when you know you have food to put on the table and employees counting on you. Everyone that has an issue with this has no idea what it costs to run a huge business, much less have any idea what a 40% tax return looks like. Get a clue and shut up... there is the door.

Again, Pearl Jam fans have gotten LAME.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    Mikee J wrote:
    Sure, times change, people grow up and their priorities change. But do PJ NEED to do this? Probably not.

It's probably either do this OR take two weeks to go on a real tour, and make the same amount of money. It's like their recent love of festivals. Easier than doing a whole tour, make the people come to you rather than the other way around, and make probably the same amount of money as doing multiple shows on your own. So if they don't want to tour then I guess they "need" to do these things (you know, to feed their kids). ;)

Not really all that shocking in my opinion.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    LamentLament Posts: 294
    Lament wrote:
    Why do I picture Michael Scott and Dwight Schrute trying to throw a party back at the hotel after this gig?

Anyone who says they'd rather go to the Pearl Jam show than Michael and Dwight's private hotel room party is a damn liar.

Agree!

I wonder if Michael's list of his favorite Pearl Jam songs would be as good as his list of his favorite Bruce Springsteen songs...
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    Man its like IQ points just fall out of people's heads on this message board. Is it really THAT hard for all of you to understand? You people really dont get it? There are more than 5 people in Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam LLC costs a lot of money to run, if a company (Ed has personal ties to someone at Oracle, a fact that most people here cant put their little minds around) like Oracle offers a fat payday for you during your "festival" year, in this economy where no one buys music anymore, you fucking take it! And you dont think twice about what a bunch of spoiled keyboard warriors are going to think about it when you know you have food to put on the table and employees counting on you. Everyone that has an issue with this has no idea what it costs to run a huge business, much less have any idea what a 40% tax return looks like. Get a clue and shut up... there is the door.

Again, I have gotten LAME.

#fixed
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,254
    So we all knit our own shirts and grow our own food and employ ourselves?

It's defiantly something I wouldn't think they'd do.... But I also think its become SPORT on here to hurl shit at something you claim you love.

Most of the anger is that fact U( egocentrical fans mostly) will not be there

And how could the mighty PJ even think about playing somewhere without your lame energy up front? It's an abombanation

Just cause Oracle is successful doesn't make them evil

When they play for Exxon/Mobil or BO wake me up :yawn:
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    they wanna play corporate gigs for $$$? awesome, go for it...i was never one that cared about their social or political stances...i'm here for the music

but when you only play 3 shows in the us in nearly 3 years and instead of playing shows for your fans, you play a corporate party? yeah, i think i got a problem with that...play a 15 show west coast tour and they'll make the same $$
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,438
    I wonder if Michael's list of his favorite Pearl Jam songs would be as good as his list of his favorite Bruce Springsteen songs...[/quote]

He probably just samples the first 20 seconds of a song on Amazon. That's usually all he needs.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Sadly, this isnt and really shouldnt be all that shocking to any of you.
    We've seen this coming on the horizon. Each year, farther and farther away the band that used to operate by a different set of rules.
    I have prepared myself for this over the past 10 yrs. It is what it is.

To be honest, the future is most likely to be even more of a head scratcher.
    Private concert for the Syrian royal family? With Mariah Carey and Beyonce?
    Sun City?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,942
    Mikee J wrote:
    Mikee J wrote:
    I think its perfectly reasonable that some fans find it odd that Pearl Jam, a band that has stood against the corporate world in the past, will be playing a semi-private corporate event for one of the biggest corporate companies in the world.

Its not a case of ownership of the band, its a case of it being weird. One of the main reasons many of us fell for this band was not only their music but their outlook on the world and this event appears not to correlate with the PJ we all knew in the past.

So it must be weird to see pj play festivals that are sponsored by big corp or is that ok cause fans can get tix unlike this corporate event??

This is a good point, and I have never been a big fan of the big corporate festivals (Glastonbury is the greatest fest in the world, no question).That is also a sign of the times and yes, the issue of fan access is important. However, PJ have chosen to appear at this event, and it is not part of a tour as such. I think if you go down the "they always play to the corporate crowd" route they will never play live again. This is different and like I said before, a bit weird. Good luck to them. But they should bot be surprised at a few raised eyebrows.
    very good points, but to me this is nothing different than playing for target a few years ago or a festival. It's just a quick cash grab for the band just like festivals. The band isn't gonna start to play corporate events. People on here were worried when ed played the oracle party few years ago that was gonna happen and the band is still touring.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    SolarWorld wrote:

this, this and this

100% on point

honeslty, everyone whining should just stop bitching and let their shit lapse

instead, they'll continue to whine and keep spending money on the band
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    SolarWorld wrote:

Wow. Goodbye.
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Good lord what are they thinking anymore
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    SolarWorld wrote:
    And you dont think twice about what a bunch of spoiled keyboard warriors are going to think about it when you know you have food to put on the table and employees counting on you.

Ding ding ding, finally someone mentions that the band has to put food on the table! Irony-free, even! Cracks me up every time.

This band has an easier time feeding their families and paying their mortgages than any of the rest of us... that excuse... so funny.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,269
    JimmyV wrote:
    Mikee J wrote:

Some good points here.
    true .i agree..

and ..yes...why pj need to do this???

the price is crazy...there is no way even i had the money to pay this price..
    to all things there are limits..this cross those limits..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Shocker to most of you, Ed has really rich friends, some of them work at Oracle. Maybe they asked him a favor with a big check and a charity in mind. PJ has always given money away, why would you all assume some of this coin wouldn't end up in someone's hands that needs it?
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,272
    Lament wrote:
    Do you think this will get an official mention on the site, or is this something they're gonna try to brush under the table?

To late for that now :lol:
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,269
    norm wrote:
    they wanna play corporate gigs for $$$? awesome, go for it...i was never one that cared about their social or political stances...i'm here for the music
    yes..i agree..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    skanji32skanji32 Posts: 592
    Guys, by PJ doing this one show, we will not have to pay membership fees for 20 years...right?? right??
    :corn:
    :fp:
    :nono:
    My 22 shows:
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Montreal, Toronto
    2000 - Montreal, Toronto
    2003 - Toronto, Montreal
    2004 - Boston I, Boston II
    2005 - Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa
    2013 - London, Seattle
    2016 - Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Disappointing
    Everyone deserves to make a living
    But those of us who eke out a living can't afford to see our fav band any more..at least not like we used to
    I have admired Pearl Jam and the band members for so long and one of the biggest reasons was because of their ideals and refusal to cop out to corporate america
    keeping it green, keeping it real, keeping it down to earth. keeping it you and me
    Things have so changed. :cry:
    I feel as if I've been mislead all along .....disillusioned is the word.
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    what happened to the power of NO :nono: ? I'm interested to see what they do/play before I get really upset. The Target thing is less upsetting to me, because they provided options to the fans to get distribution in at local music stores. Sometimes you have to play the game from within - but we'll see. If the setlist is all unicorns and rainbows i'm out.
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    edited August 2012
    QUOTE From Oracle

" Pearl Jam rose from the ashes of '80s Pacific Northwest combos Green River and Mother Love Bone. For the past twenty years, the band has remained a major force in rock and roll, as much for its aggressive loyalty to its social and political principles and restless experimentation as for its rock radio staples and bestselling albums. Throughout their two decades together, the band's independent spirit has set them apart from other bands, leaving the record studios behind to produce the music they want. "

OracleOpenWorld2012-MozillaFirefox_2012-08-14_13-18-16.png

They might want to think about that.
    Post edited by StillHere on
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    SolarWorld wrote:
    And you dont think twice about what a bunch of spoiled keyboard warriors are going to think about it when you know you have food to put on the table and employees counting on you.

Ding ding ding, finally someone mentions that the band has to put food on the table! Irony-free, even! Cracks me up every time.

This band has an easier time feeding their families and paying their mortgages than any of the rest of us... that excuse... so funny.

Class warfare. Great... hopefully your simple train of though can follow.

So I am going to bet I have more money than you. In fact it's guaranteed. Now I also have a wife, a kid, a mortgage(s), property taxes, income taxes, business expenses, and yes "food" has to be put on the table. In your uninformed world you think I have an "easier" time paying my bills because I have more money than you do. It's one of the most uninformed idea that people have about class. Yes I can afford more crap than you can but I also have to pay for more crap. I dont even run a multi million dollar business, with 6 figure expenses and tax bills.

Hopefully when you are done "cracking up" you can see how simple you are being.

"Rich" people should stop making money, they can afford everything!"

OK buddy...
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    what happened to the power of NO :nono: ? I'm interested to see what they do/play before I get really upset. The Target thing is less upsetting to me, because they provided options to the fans to get distribution in at local music stores. Sometimes you have to play the game from within - but we'll see. If the setlist is all unicorns and rainbows i'm out.
    So if they play Dirty Frank... Revolution?

pop-art-revolution-che-guevara-revolution-poster.jpg
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    I wouldn't give a shit if they played George Bush XIV's bar mitzvah.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    How many years you guys really think they have left? Who knows, but they have been one of the best bands ever. If anyone has run into these guys they are good dudes. 20 years is a long time. They deserve all this and more. Haters have no clue.
  • Options
    I have never understood why people get so fucking bent out of shape over this stuff. And you wonder why Tim calls us assholes.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    I have never understood why people get so fucking bent out of shape over this stuff. And you wonder why Tim calls us assholes.
    Speak for yourself... Tim calls me a douche bag.
    GoiMTvP.gif