Penn State Sanctions

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    DewieCox wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is fucking mind boggling. How the hell were the Letterman not doing things the right way? Sure a fight here of there, one sexual assult accusation but as they pointed out, they have some of the highest academic standards in football. The Letterman are speaking for the Letterman, NO ONE ELSE. What is so hard to get about that? Adminstrators did nothing the right way, the players almost always have. None of them were involved in this scandal. Fuck.

Good for them, sorry about their luck playing for a scum bag. They come off worse and worse every time one of them comes out complaining about vacated wins and other meaningless crap. How else are the lettermen really being punished? They're not having they're diplomas taken away, they still have all those great memories of playing football. I would think there would be more lettermen in the 98-2011 era come out disappointed that they were any part of such a farce.

This statement was mostly in response to the academic comments Emmert made. Of course they are all disappointed and embarrassed, everyone with an ounce of a connection to the University is. But it is also okay to be disgusted with the actions of others but proud of what you acheived and wanting to be recognized for that.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    This is from a player's perspective. What exactly did the crime and coverup have to do with the players?
    Did I miss something? Is everyone saying all the active players for 14 years knew what was going on?

They were recruited and played for people that were at the center of the coverup. I agree, it's an awful stroke of luck for them but it is what it is. They only hurt their cause by taking the stand they're taking. They shouldn't be directing their anger at anybody but the perpetrators of these heinous crimes.

Don't think you did. I don't think anybody is saying anything about any players knowing what was going on. I have my doubts about that too, but til those facts come out I can't really condemn them.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This statement was mostly in response to the academic comments Emmert made. Of course they are all disappointed and embarrassed, everyone with an ounce of a connection to the University is. But it is also okay to be disgusted with the actions of others but proud of what you acheived and wanting to be recognized for that.

I don't think people are gonna forget what the players did on the field. They might not have the hardware or titles, but fans and players alike are always gonna remember what went down on the field and the feeling of triumph or heartbreak that goes with it.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Also - Anyone who heard about Sandusky abusing a child and didn't immediately call the police is a cowardly piece of shit.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AndyVanSlykeAndyVanSlyke Posts: 183
    I wonder if the West Baptist Church will protest Penn State football games saying "God Hates Child Molesters"

Or does that too appropriate for them to do?
    Pittsburgh 2003/Pittsburgh 2006/Outside Lands 2009/Bridge School 2010/Pittsburgh 2013
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    will the sane psu supporters please tell the batchit insane supporters to shut the fuck up

http://deadspin.com/5928585/
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    norm wrote:
    will the sane psu supporters please tell the batchit insane supporters to shut the fuck up

Wow. I just saw the headline but I hope that mother F'er who said that has a shit life from here on out.
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    norm wrote:

Right here is why I hope the football program never recovers. For the sane fans who understand that this is the punishment for your universities crime and you deal with it, I do feel bad for you, cause you actually understand there are things bigger than football. To this fn moron and those like him, enjoy watching your greater than anything football team suck ass!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    LloydXmas wrote:
    norm wrote:

Wow. I just saw the headline but I hope that mother F'er who said that has a shit life from here on out.

Since its pretty obvious Pedophile State football is his life, it's a safe bet that this ahole will!! :D
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    for what it's worth, i think they got this about right.
    www.myspace.com
    norm wrote:

That's awful taste and the guy probably says other more absurd things that aren't shown, but that quote by itself is intelligent compared to alot of defenders.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    I wish two groups would shut the hell up.

Group 1 - "the insane PSU fans" aka "the blind loyalists" many other names have been used, but we know who they are

Group 2 - the "Fuck you all Penn State fans", "you child rape supporters". The group who have stereotyped an entire region. I feel I can't say anymore because any words I use will be twisted around to throw me in group 1 (where I do not belong)

Do I like the sanctions? No, I don't like anything about this story. Do I think they are fair? I don't know. Am I going to support this years football team? Yes. Am I putting football first? No, never have. Are there fanatics? Yes, there are. There are Pearl Jam fanatics, I think that's part of human nature. On Sept 1 when Penn State plays their first game and someone stands up to cheer, will someone call the a child rape supporter? Unfortunately, I think so. Is it fair? No. It just proves Group 2 is the same as Group 1 with different beliefs.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... penn-state

When someone says We Are, Penn State...We Aren't supporting football, pedophiles or anything else Group 2 wants to throw at us. We Are supporting a world class university that, for a time, did not have the best leadership when it was needed, but We Will do better and We Will make a difference
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

I did like the fact the NCAA allowed penalty free transfers. Maybe let the players explore the options and not have coaches from other schools surround the PSU football building.

Football first seems to be everywhere.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... su-players
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is fucking mind boggling. How the hell were the Letterman not doing things the right way? Sure a fight here of there, one sexual assult accusation but as they pointed out, they have some of the highest academic standards in football. The Letterman are speaking for the Letterman, NO ONE ELSE. What is so hard to get about that? Adminstrators did nothing the right way, the players almost always have. None of them were involved in this scandal. Fuck.

Good for them, sorry about their luck playing for a scum bag. They come off worse and worse every time one of them comes out complaining about vacated wins and other meaningless crap. How else are the lettermen really being punished? They're not having they're diplomas taken away, they still have all those great memories of playing football. I would think there would be more lettermen in the 98-2011 era come out disappointed that they were any part of such a farce.

Cliffy where do you stand on the questions I asked earlier about other schools that were fucked by the NCAA for far less criminal shit? Do you think the U should lose scholarships, games, and recant titles because a bunch of kids got paid for doing what they should get paid for? How about when a coach leaves and the players have to stay or when a coach comes and the players lose their scholarships? Do you care? Do you feel badly? Why, for what I believe is the first time, are you sad about this particular thing? Is this the first time you've been confronted by the fact that the NCAA is a completely fraudulent slave factory that makes its own rules for kids that are 18-24 years old? Why does this particular loss of games suck?
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/07/24/ ... interview/
    (WSCR) Way back in 1987, former Penn State football coach Joe Paterno was featured in a profile story in the L.A. Times.

Brace yourself, as the irony of Paterno’s comments are almost unbelievable. One of the topics of discussion was that of the death penalty that was handed to SMU for recruiting violations.

Here’s what Paterno had to say:

It’s unbelievable to think that kind of corruption came right from the top of the power structure. The NCAA did what it had to do.”

It gets worse.

At an NCAA convention, Paterno had the following response regarding new academic regulations for African American students.

We have raped a generation-and-a-half of young black athletes. We have taken kids and sold them on bouncing a ball and running with the football and that being able to do certain things athletically was going to be an end in itself.

“We cannot afford to do that to another generation.”

Royal D-Bag
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Posts: 8,661
    After sitting on this for a few days I've come to the conclusion that no NCAA violations were committed. On what grounds does the NCAA have by these penalties? Im not saying that what the leaders of that school and football program did wasn't a disgusting act, but its a legal issue. The purpose of the NCAA is to provide a level playing field for all schools. This scandal had nothing to do with that. Jo Pa was protecting a legacy, not cheating to gain.an on field advantage. There is a difference.
    After sitting on this for a few days I've come to the conclusion that no NCAA violations were committed. On what grounds does the NCAA have by these penalties? Im not saying that what the leaders of that school and football program did wasn't a disgusting act, but its a legal issue. The purpose of the NCAA is to provide a level playing field for all schools. This scandal had nothing to do with that. Jo Pa was protecting a legacy, not cheating to gain.an on field advantage. There is a difference.

It falls under the "lack of institutional control".
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    pureoc wrote:

Also, would players have gone there had they known then what was going on? He was protecting more than a legacy. There was an advantage gained. By hiding material negative PR surrounding his coaching staff, he influenced players to come to his program under false pretenses. Now, you can say it wouldn't have mattered. But, did tatoos give Ohio State any wins?

Any time you do not reveal MATERIAL known facts, you are cheating.

And you've miscontrued the NCAA. They are not the "league commissioner" as you've described it. They are also there to ensure the integrity of their programs which includes not allowing a pedophile to knowingly run rampant at a University under cover of an athletic program and it extraordinarly powerful (and corrupt) leader.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    ^^*
    As a fan and alum, I'm fine with the sanctions. "fine" I guess means time to move on and look forward. As far as I'm concerned Penn State football will debut Sept 1 and start anew.

(again, I know it's not football first. It's a football thread)

I do feel the NCAA jumped the gun. And it looks like someone who took part in working on the Freeh report agrees.

http://chronicle.com/article/Freeh-Grou ... es/133213/

I don't think the thing is a lie, but it was never meant to be gospel either.

After my oldest started playing soccer, I haven't followed the football team as much as I did when I was younger. Soccer takes up a bunch of fall Saturdays. I will say, I like this coaches attitude and the way most of this team is sticking together.

"One man didn't build this University and one man sure as hell won't tear it down"
    Michael Mauti - LB
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

penn state players are calling themselves team outlaw :shock:

http://www.chicagonow.com/its-never-jus ... ty-anyone/
    Instead of inflicting the Penn State "family" on those of us who have seen the effects of child abuse or who simply read the indictments and followed the trial, the NCAA should just give the program the death penalty, allow the players to play football somewhere else and let the drooling Penn State fans find something else to cheer about. Perhaps the WWE can do a show in Happy Valley.
  • London BridgeLondon Bridge Posts: 4,733
    :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
    pureoc wrote:

Also, would players have gone there had they known then what was going on? He was protecting more than a legacy. There was an advantage gained. By hiding material negative PR surrounding his coaching staff, he influenced players to come to his program under false pretenses. Now, you can say it wouldn't have mattered. But, did tatoos give Ohio State any wins?

Any time you do not reveal MATERIAL known facts, you are cheating.

And you've miscontrued the NCAA. They are not the "league commissioner" as you've described it. They are also there to ensure the integrity of their programs which includes not allowing a pedophile to knowingly run rampant at a University under cover of an athletic program and it extraordinarly powerful (and corrupt) leader.

Yes the NCAA is a league commissioner. That's exactly what they are. Ask USC, OSU, UCONN, UNLV and several other programs that have been sanctioned for violations. And there were obvious violations to what prior and others did at OSU. Hiding negative PR is NOT a violation of NCAA rules. They ran with that report without doing their own investigation. That's unprecedented.
    If an assistant defensive coordinator for a football program gets a DUI and that university doesn't report it, can the NCAA now sanction that program?
    I am not comparing a DUI for child abuse. What that university did was disgusting and wrong. But I believe the NCAA over stepped its bounds.
    Heard that Joe Pa's statue was moved to the library...just to remind everyone to keep quiet in saddy valley.
  • London BridgeLondon Bridge Posts: 4,733
    RW81233 wrote:
    Heard that Joe Pa's statue was moved to the library...just to remind everyone to keep quiet in saddy valley.

I don't believe moving of the statue has anything to to do with Penn State Sanctions, so not only am I bored with your comment and it's lack of factual evidence, but it is not related to this thread. :roll:
    RW81233 wrote:

I don't believe moving of the statue has anything to to do with Penn State Sanctions, so not only am I bored with your comment and it's lack of factual evidence, but it is not related to this thread. :roll:
    Well if you just pretended my post never happened like Joe Pa you'd have no problem with it...
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    :lol::lol:
    Yes the NCAA is a league commissioner. That's exactly what they are. Ask USC, OSU, UCONN, UNLV and several other programs that have been sanctioned for violations. And there were obvious violations to what prior and others did at OSU. Hiding negative PR is NOT a violation of NCAA rules. They ran with that report without doing their own investigation. That's unprecedented.
    If an assistant defensive coordinator for a football program gets a DUI and that university doesn't report it, can the NCAA now sanction that program?
    I am not comparing a DUI for child abuse. What that university did was disgusting and wrong. But I believe the NCAA over stepped its bounds.

Hiding negative PR isn't necessarily but hiding a child molestation surely breaks some code of conduct.

People wanna say the NCAA needs to do their own investigation and not rely on the Freeh report. God(Joe Paterno) himself admitted that he/they should've done more to stop what was going on. What more investigation is needed?
    Quite frankly the NCAA could've done much more and still not done enough. Those fuckers covered up a series of child rapes. I'm think the sanctions they settled on help prove a point, but under no circumstances could the NCAA have ever done enough.
    Joe Paterno was the man in charge and he allowed the cover up to happen to protect his job, his legacy and the football program. What more needs to be said to convince you that the NCAA was more than fair in it's ruling?
    DewieCox wrote:

Hiding negative PR isn't necessarily but hiding a child molestation surely breaks some code of conduct.

People wanna say the NCAA needs to do their own investigation and not rely on the Freeh report. God(Joe Paterno) himself admitted that he/they should've done more to stop what was going on. What more investigation is needed?
    Quite frankly the NCAA could've done much more and still not done enough. Those fuckers covered up a series of child rapes. I'm think the sanctions they settled on help prove a point, but under no circumstances could the NCAA have ever done enough.
    Joe Paterno was the man in charge and he allowed the cover up to happen to protect his job, his legacy and the football program. What more needs to be said to convince you that the NCAA was more than fair in it's ruling?

I'm not saying what they did was right. I'm saying its not up to the NCAA to punish the university in a legal matter. The people involved in the cover up are being prosecuted. Joe paternos legacy is gone, the program has a permanent stain on it.

My point is, the NCAA punished a program outside of its "jurisdictional" realm. That's it. I personally feel that it is wring to punish the program now for past actions.
    3000 penn st fans rallied this morning to show support for the penn st football...i guess it never occured to them to rally in support of the victims.

:roll: