Penn State Sanctions

Comments

• cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Message from PSU president:

Statement Regarding NCAA Consent Decree
    July 23, 2012

The tragedy of child sexual abuse that occurred at our University altered the lives of innocent children. Today, as every day, our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the victims of Mr. Sandusky and all other victims of child abuse.

Against this backdrop, Penn State accepts the penalties and corrective actions announced today by the NCAA www.ncaa.com. With today's announcement and the action it requires of us, the University takes a significant step forward.

The NCAA ruling holds the University accountable for the failure of those in power to protect children and insists that all areas of the University community are held to the same high standards of honesty and integrity.

The NCAA also mandates that Penn State become a national leader to help victims of child sexual assault and to promote awareness across our nation. Specifically, the University will pay $12 million a year for the next five years into a special endowment created to fund programs for the detection, prevention and treatment of child abuse. This total of $60 million can never reduce the pain suffered by victims, but will help provide them hope and healing.

The NCAA penalty will also affect the football program. There is a four-year ban on all post-season games, including bowl games and the Big Ten Championship game, and a future reduction in the number of football scholarships that can be granted. We are grateful that the current student athletes are not prevented from participation because of the failures of leadership that occurred. Additionally the NCAA has vacated all wins of Penn State football from 1998-2011.

We also welcome the Athletics Integrity Agreement and the third-party monitor, who will be drilling into compliance and culture issues in intercollegiate athletics, in conjunction with the recommendations of the Freeh Report. Lastly a probationary period of five years will be imposed.

It is important to know we are entering a new chapter at Penn State and making necessary changes. We must create a culture in which people are not afraid to speak up, management is not compartmentalized, all are expected to demonstrate the highest ethical standards, and the operating philosophy is open, collegial, and collaborative.

Since receiving Judge Freeh's preliminary recommendations in January, the University has instituted several reforms. Today we accept the terms of the consent decree imposed by the NCAA. As Penn State embarks upon change and progress, this announcement helps to further define our course. It is with this compass that we will strive for a better tomorrow.

Penn State will move forward with a renewed sense of commitment to excellence and integrity in all aspects of our University. We continue to recognize the important role that intercollegiate athletics provides for our student athletes and the wider University community as we strive to appropriately balance academic and athletic accomplishments. Penn State will continue to be a world-class educational institution of which our students, faculty, staff and alumni can be justifiably proud.

President Rodney Erickson
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,350
    I think they did a great job with the rulings.

Although we can't go back in time and change what happened to those kids, I think negating the wins allows us to go back in time and take away the good things that they did not deserve.

And I'm a Penn State grad.

A PSU guy who gets it. :thumbup: Sadly you guys are far and few between. Everyone is an apologist for Paterno or blaming someone else or playing the "well this guy did this and that guy did that and they only did this to this school and that to that school and blah blah..."

My mother-in-law is one of the Paterno apologists. I want to ask her "well what would you think if this happened to your grandchildren?"
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i wonder if these fucking assholes had the same reaction when they heard about what sandusky did? i'm gonna assume no

http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 9935889001
    norm wrote:
    i wonder if these fucking assholes had the same reaction when they heard about what sandusky did? i'm gonna assume no

Some of the reactions were absurd, and some were just despondent and trying to figure out how all this happened, which is understandable.

Most of them clearly just don't get it, unfortunately.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    seems actually like a pretty good punishment. that said, its still unbelievably gross what occured and the coverup that happened.

I would have liked to have seen them being forced to donate money to some fund to repay victims or having to donate money to an organization that assists victims of abuse in general.

Its certainly stunning to see. People seemed to think of Penn State and Paterno as God like prior to all this. Now they are just another football team. And with the wins being taken away, its like they pretty much never were that legendary team people seem to think they were. They essentially didnt exist.

I think it just goes to show, things are more important than winning some football game. And those who were blind to what was going on, or didnt want to believe it, or clung to some belief in the football program were naive at best.

Penn state is just another school now. Albeit one with a gross and disturbing past, with higher ups who refused to act all because they believe the image of the school and the football team and staff actually mean something.
  • Bronx BombersBronx Bombers Posts: 2,208
    Statement from The Paterno family regarding the NCAA sanctions levied today

Sexual abuse is reprehensible, especially when it involves children, and no one starting with Joe Paterno condones or minimizes it. The horrific acts committed by Jerry Sandusky shock the conscience of every decent human being. How Sandusky was able to get away with his crimes for so long has yet to be fully understood, despite the claims and assertions of the Freeh report.

The release of the Freeh report has triggered an avalanche of vitriol, condemnation and posthumous punishment on Joe Paterno. The NCAA has now become the latest party to accept the report as the final word on the Sandusky scandal. The sanctions announced by the NCAA today defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family or those who knew him best.

That the President, the Athletic Director and the Board of Trustees accepted this unprecedented action by the NCAA without requiring a full due process hearing before the Committee on Infractions is an abdication of their responsibilities and a breach of their fiduciary duties to the University and the 500,000 alumni. Punishing past, present and future students of the University because of Sandusky’s crimes does not serve justice. This is not a fair or thoughtful action; it is a panicked response to the public's understandable revulsion at what Sandusky did.

The point of due process is to protect against this sort of reflexive action. Joe Paterno was never interviewed by the University or the Freeh Group. His counsel has not been able to interview key witnesses as they are represented by counsel related to ongoing litigation. We have had no access to the records reviewed by the Freeh group. The NCAA never contacted our family or our legal counsel. And the fact that several parties have pending trials that could produce evidence and testimony relevant to this matter has been totally discounted.

Unfortunately all of these facts have been ignored by the NCAA, the Freeh Group and the University.

Read more: http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna-va ... z21T9meXqw
    norm wrote:

i certainly agree its gross. But it really isnt shocking. Were you on this board last year when it happened? You had a ton of people on here saying "oh paterno didnt know", or "paterno is a great guy, he just messed up once", or that Penn state was this shining beacon of football greatness. Essentially people tried to suggest on here, and elsewhere when it happened, that football was more important than literally anything else, including the feelings of victims. That idea can also be deduced when looking at the actions of everyone involved in this mess. The college president acted the same way, believing that paterno and this school were above the law and because they were seen as some legendary program that the rules didnt apply to them.

People were making excuses and saying noone knew or that sandusky acted alone without the aid of anyone else.

I think being a fan of a sports team is fine. But I think this shows the extreme it can be taken to. Paterno was seen as some god to people, who could do no wrong, and even when the abuse was announced and the coverup was announced, people still refused to come out and say what this meant.

This board was filled with people who refused to admit and believe Penn State or Paterno capable of all this.

Its disturbing and sad the reaction, but doesnt surprise me
    I was puzzled by paternos actions last year, and im still puzzled now. He obviously knew abuse was going on. He was told this. WHy he clammed up and went about his life and career which involved seeing and interacting with Sandusky, is one of the most bizaare things Ive ever heard.

I dont know how you can hear that about someone, that they abuse children and then go about your daily life and not do something about it. Not tell anyone, not say something to Sandusky in the hallway.

Even further, Paterno didnt even try to figure out if it was true or not. When Mcqueary told Paterno, I assume Paterno was confused and angry, wondering if this was actually true. Its a mind boggling question why Paterno didnt have the intellectual curiouristy to say nothing of moral and ethical thought processes, to ascertain via the school, or sandusky himself, whether this was true or not.

Essentially paterno seems to have heard from Mcqueary about the abuse, and then not uttered a word about it, or spoke a single word to anyone about it the rest of his life.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,199
    About time NCAA stepped up and really took the bull by the horns , even taking away the wins is just ....

All of it taking down the statue was also the correct step they needed to start the clensing process wich will take a very very long time to do ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    Statement from The Paterno family regarding the NCAA sanctions levied today

Sexual abuse is reprehensible, especially when it involves children, and no one starting with Joe Paterno condones or minimizes it. The horrific acts committed by Jerry Sandusky shock the conscience of every decent human being. How Sandusky was able to get away with his crimes for so long has yet to be fully understood, despite the claims and assertions of the Freeh report.

The release of the Freeh report has triggered an avalanche of vitriol, condemnation and posthumous punishment on Joe Paterno. The NCAA has now become the latest party to accept the report as the final word on the Sandusky scandal. The sanctions announced by the NCAA today defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family or those who knew him best.

That the President, the Athletic Director and the Board of Trustees accepted this unprecedented action by the NCAA without requiring a full due process hearing before the Committee on Infractions is an abdication of their responsibilities and a breach of their fiduciary duties to the University and the 500,000 alumni. Punishing past, present and future students of the University because of Sandusky’s crimes does not serve justice. This is not a fair or thoughtful action; it is a panicked response to the public's understandable revulsion at what Sandusky did.

The point of due process is to protect against this sort of reflexive action. Joe Paterno was never interviewed by the University or the Freeh Group. His counsel has not been able to interview key witnesses as they are represented by counsel related to ongoing litigation. We have had no access to the records reviewed by the Freeh group. The NCAA never contacted our family or our legal counsel. And the fact that several parties have pending trials that could produce evidence and testimony relevant to this matter has been totally discounted.

Unfortunately all of these facts have been ignored by the NCAA, the Freeh Group and the University.

Read more: http://www.wgal.com/news/susquehanna-va ... z21T9meXqw

Paterno family will also be helping OJ find the "real" killer. :roll:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    About time NCAA stepped up and really took the bull by the horns , even taking away the wins is just ....

All of it taking down the statue was also the correct step they needed to start the clensing process wich will take a very very long time to do ....

Unfortunately, for PSU you reap what you sew. I don't quite understand the taking away of wins but I gather they the NCAA wanted to send a grand message to ALL colleges and universities. That message being it's much better to come out in the beginning and suffer the consequences then than try and cover it up, only to face far more consequences later if such a cover up comes to light.

Which is exactly what has happened here...somebody in the administration needed to the strength to come forward and say we can not do this even if our treasured football program takes a hit. It appears no one did.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

I wonder if PSU drew worse sanctions for ridiculously deciding to play in that stupid bowl game last year. That was such a dumb, tone-deaf decision.

I wonder if PSU drew worse sanctions for ridiculously deciding to play in that stupid bowl game last year. That was such a dumb, tone-deaf decision.

It certainly didn't help that they played that game it means absolutely nothing now in light of what has been handed down to the university. Atleast the NCAA is allowing players to leave the school to play elsewhere without penalty.....it that by design to weaken the PSU football program even more?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• London BridgeLondon Bridge Posts: 4,733

I don't think that bowl game had anything to do with today's sanctioning. Why was it dumb of them to play?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Bravo!!! Great punishment!!!

How fitting that McQueary qb'd Paterno's last official win.

I can't blame Paterno's family for being upset. Totally understandable reaction to all of this. They'll probably always hold out hope that new facts will come out and at least make Joe look a little better. Hopefully they'll learn the right place to direct their anger at some point.

Ryan Scott, I think of the Seahawks had the best reaction(on Scot Van Pelt's radio show) of any former PSU-er I've heard. Basically said the punishment fits, but he wished there was a better way to punish w/o hurting the current students and such.

I dunno whether to be angry or feel sorry for all these dumbass sympathizers. I mean, they're adults but so many people viewed Joe Paterno as some sort of deity. For any person of Paterno's stature there's gonna be defenders regardless of how wrong their actions were. Seems like most of them are going out of their way to say the dumbest shit so, so far it's the anger.

What's so hard to understand about vacated wins? The fucking head coach let a serial molester cruise around campus for 12 fucking years while he was breaking records and keeping his job and reputation safe by keepin quiet. I dunno about you, but I'd have some serious reservations about signing a letter of intent or accepting money to play for a school that had a molester on the staff or hanging around. I realize that's all "hindsight is 20/20" but come on....
  • sweetlew33sweetlew33 Posts: 83
    Honestly, I think the sanctions are misguided. The punishments handed down have almost no direct impact on anyone involved in the scandal/coverup. And it's way too harsh to the kids playing there now. I understand the need to "send a message" but why not say, you can go to bowl games, but all revenue for the next 10 or so bowl games goes to child abuse victims? And every time you are on tv, you have to pay for public service announcements dealing with abuse. I think that would have a more lasting impact than this.

The vacated wins just seems like a public image thing for the NCAA so they don't have Paterno on the top of the wins list.

I don't think that bowl game had anything to do with today's sanctioning. Why was it dumb of them to play?

The program was under a huge cloud of scandal at the time (and still is obviously). It was reasonable to play out the regular season with all the tickets having been sold already. But they should've called it quits after the regular season ended and worried about getting their house in order rather than making more money on football. Many people said this at the time. Not sure if I posted about it, but that was my opinion.

Anyways, if they withheld from the bowl game last year perhaps the NCAA would've granted them "time already served" and it would just be a 3-year bowl ban, but PSU showed a lack of understanding the issue by going to that bowl game. It was a lower-tier bowl game anyway - that team wasn't even that good. Not like they were going to the Rose Bowl or something like that.

• davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    can someone say brain-washed assbags?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/07/23/ ... t-at-ncaa/
    sweetlew33 wrote:
    Honestly, I think the sanctions are misguided. The punishments handed down have almost no direct impact on anyone involved in the scandal/coverup. And it's way too harsh to the kids playing there now. I understand the need to "send a message" but why not say, you can go to bowl games, but all revenue for the next 10 or so bowl games goes to child abuse victims? And every time you are on tv, you have to pay for public service announcements dealing with abuse. I think that would have a more lasting impact than this.

The vacated wins just seems like a public image thing for the NCAA so they don't have Paterno on the top of the wins list.

I like the idea and the thought that the NCAA do not want Paterno on the top of the win list. I can't fathom why else would they want to take away those wins....it's not going to make any difference to the victims.

Peace

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I wonder if any of the school officials mentioned in the freeh report are going to face criminal charges in the near future? I haven't seen any articles mentioning that
    LloydXmas wrote:
    I wonder if any of the school officials mentioned in the freeh report are going to face criminal charges in the near future? I haven't seen any articles mentioning that

Curley and Schultz have been charged with perjury.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    It's going to get real ugly when the trials of Schultz and Curley begin.

Going to be mud flinging between them and the Paterno representation.

This is all just the tip of the ice burg. This Freeh report and the actions of the board of trustees will be picked apart.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    davidtrios wrote:

I think you are missing the point of this statement a bit, unless I am missing something. They don't agree with the punishment, which is fair, and also don't agree with the misrepresentation of the academic performance of players. Maybe adminstrators didn't do things the right way, but the Letterman are speaking for the Letterman who played no role in this scandal.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,716
    Two things....

1. I had no idea that Spanier was physically abused as a kid. I somehow missed that in November. So strange.

2. I obviously really dislike the vacated wins part...if for nothing else for statements like this. I get the rest of the punishment and I get this part is meant to be a slap in the face to Paterno but still.

Adam Taliaferro‏@Tali43

NCAA says games didn't exist..I got the metal plate in my neck to prove it did..I almost died playing 4 PSU..punishment or healing?!?
  • London BridgeLondon Bridge Posts: 4,733
    davidtrios wrote:

Can some one say....obsessed with this scandal. Thanks for providing all the news :roll:
    Why don't you visit University Park and talk about all the shit you've been saying on this board. Don't forget to take your medical insurance info with you, cause you'll probably be needing it.

Now move on to something else like gun control.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    I'm surprised at what the NCAA handed down. It seems appropriately harsh to me.

In my opinion, the entirety of the sanctions are just (even the vacated wins), and here's why: Football was so important to the institution as a whole that they would not risk what might happen to them if they were to report Sandusky to the authorities as they themselves had at one time planned to do.

Football was more important than doing whatever they could to make sure Sandusky could never do that to another child again.

So, you know what? Fine. The team got to play the games. But now they don't count. Done and done.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    davidtrios wrote:

I think you are missing the point of this statement a bit, unless I am missing something. They don't agree with the punishment, which is fair, and also don't agree with the misrepresentation of the academic performance of players. Maybe adminstrators didn't do things the right way, but the Letterman are speaking for the Letterman who played no role in this scandal.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I obviously really dislike the vacated wins part...if for nothing else for statements like this. I get the rest of the punishment and I get this part is meant to be a slap in the face to Paterno but still.

Adam Taliaferro‏@Tali43

NCAA says games didn't exist..I got the metal plate in my neck to prove it did..I almost died playing 4 PSU..punishment or healing?!?

How many of those letterman would've signed on knowing that Paterno was enabling a serial molester? I don't think it has anything to do with sticking it to Paterno.

Who really gives a crap about former players whining about vacated games?
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    NaZF.jpg
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Adam Taliaferro‏@Tali43

He played 4 years for an institution and a man who covered up for a child molester.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    davidtrios wrote:

Can some one say....obsessed with this scandal. Thanks for providing all the news :roll:
    Why don't you visit University Park and talk about all the shit you've been saying on this board. Don't forget to take your medical insurance info with you, cause you'll probably be needing it.

Now move on to something else like gun control.
    Did he touch a nerve? Shouldn't there be attention brought to a man who covered up for a child molester in order to keep the image of an institution strong?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V