Penn State Sanctions

Comments

• London BridgeLondon Bridge Posts: 4,733
    davidtrios wrote:
    can someone say brain-washed assbags?

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/07/23/ ... t-at-ncaa/

Can some one say....obsessed with this scandal. Thanks for providing all the news :roll:
    Why don't you visit University Park and talk about all the shit you've been saying on this board. Don't forget to take your medical insurance info with you, cause you'll probably be needing it.

Now move on to something else like gun control.
    Did he touch a nerve? Shouldn't there be attention brought to a man who covered up for a child molester in order to keep the image of an institution strong?

Yes, calling former players, assbags, does touch a nerve.
  • sweetlew33sweetlew33 Posts: 83
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Adam Taliaferro‏@Tali43

NCAA says games didn't exist..I got the metal plate in my neck to prove it did..I almost died playing 4 PSU..punishment or healing?!?
    He played 4 years for an institution and a man who covered up for a child molester.

He didn't exactly play four years, but he certainly did not stop being part of the program or under Paterno's influence. I know this has nothing to do with this topic, but I think it's worth a read (article came out in Jan)

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7492 ... rue-legacy
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446

Why do you have a problem with the sanctions?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    sweetlew33 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Adam Taliaferro‏@Tali43

NCAA says games didn't exist..I got the metal plate in my neck to prove it did..I almost died playing 4 PSU..punishment or healing?!?
    He played 4 years for an institution and a man who covered up for a child molester.

He didn't exactly play four years, but he certainly did not stop being part of the program or under Paterno's influence. I know this has nothing to do with this topic, but I think it's worth a read (article came out in Jan)

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7492 ... rue-legacy
    fwiw ricky reilly basically recanted everything he's ever written about joe pa.

Why do you have a problem with the sanctions?

I have a problem with sanctions when they directly affect players that have nothing to do with the crime.
    so did you post complaints when the U got sanctions, or USC, or all the other colleges that have (student-)athletes get sanctioned for things they had nothing to do with? do you get pissed when a coach like Lane Kiffin or that crappy coach for OSU gets a bunch of kids to sign up to play for them and then leaves? or when a coach like coach cal goes to Kentucky and takes scholarships away from kids who have been going there for 3 years? this is the game with the ncaa (an obviously flawed system that shouldn't exist in a space of higher education in the first place), and you either play by the rules or sometimes get punished for shit you didn't do. further, whereas in the other incidents some kids got paid, or some coach was an ass and took away a scholarship, in this one, kids got raped...and the man, the MYTH joe pa let it go and covered it up. saddy valley can whine all it wants they played the game and lost - literally now actually.
    RW81233 wrote:
    so did you post complaints when the U got sanctions, or USC, or all the other colleges that have (student-)athletes get sanctioned for things they had nothing to do with? do you get pissed when a coach like Lane Kiffin or that crappy coach for OSU gets a bunch of kids to sign up to play for them and then leaves? or when a coach like coach cal goes to Kentucky and takes scholarships away from kids who have been going there for 3 years? this is the game with the ncaa (an obviously flawed system that shouldn't exist in a space of higher education in the first place), and you either play by the rules or sometimes get punished for shit you didn't do. further, whereas in the other incidents some kids got paid, or some coach was an ass and took away a scholarship, in this one, kids got raped...and the man, the MYTH joe pa let it go and covered it up. saddy valley can whine all it wants they played the game and lost - literally now actually.

I'm not concerned with other college incidents and you need a grammar lesson.
    RW81233 wrote:

I could have sided with you if your problem was with the NCAA writ large, but if you want to feel bad for Pederast State University then that's your own problem. Kids were raped dude...raped and you feel bad for players and a coach? Do you have children?
    RW81233 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

I could have sided with you if your problem was with the NCAA writ large, but if you want to feel bad for Pederast State University then that's your own problem. Kids were raped dude...raped and you feel bad for players and a coach? Do you have children?

I said nothing about coaches. Yes I do feel bad for the players.

...and yes, I have 2 children with Autism.

BTW - I do feel bad for the victims. It's one of the worse things that can happen to a child.

The NCAA could have administered higher fines. I just don't agree with taking away the team's wins for 14 seasons. The justice system will take care of the coaches and others involved.
    But if news came to light that there was a pedophile roaming the showers and facilities, don't you think it would have effected recruiting?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    But if news came to light that there was a pedophile roaming the showers and facilities, don't you think it would have effected recruiting?

If this was dealt with properly, 14 years ago, there may have been a minimal recruiting problem. Obviously that has changed now.
    I would bet the future recruiting issue will be because of sanctions, and not because of the crimes/coverup, as long as all involved are ousted from the university.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I like all the sanctions... Fuck Paterno.. his wins being vacated made me the happiest :)

Rot in hell you dirty son of a bitch!!! I wish you were still alive to see your statue coming down you filthy fuck!!
    try to turn a blind eye to that, Joe!!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    The NCAA could have administered higher fines. I just don't agree with taking away the team's wins for 14 seasons. The justice system will take care of the coaches and others involved.

Who cares about fucking wins and losses? Besides the NCAA right?

I think vacating wins is par for the course when the NCAA doles out punishment. I guess if you think it's a bad punishment under any circumstance then you're free to that opinion, but with the history of the way the NCAA punishes extreme rules violators it's a gimme.

I heard and interview with a sensible alum today and of course he was bummed about the vacated games, but he also pointed out they can't take away his experiences on the field and the highs and lows. I'll obviously never know what it it's like to play on that level, but very little of what I remember about playing hoops at relatively high level in high school revolves directly around wins or losses.

Where are the former players that are aiming their anger where it should be, as far as vacating wins goes?
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    edited July 2012
    Bravo to the NCAA for getting something right, when they seem to get SOOO much wrong (OSU slap on the wrist, ignoring the pimping of cam newton, Oregon paying private scouts, USC and Reggie Bush, the U, etc..

As far as PSU fans go, I'm sorry you who had nothing to do with this basically don't get to watch your team for the next 4 years, BUT with that said, the non delusional fans will be upset but they are smart enough to realize that it's JUST A GAME, and that there are things much bigger than sports/football. So while the non delusional fans are punished I think they are smart enough to realize this is part of doing the time for the crime, and they will move on and get over with it. The delusional fans, deserve the punishment of watching their team that they valued more than protecting children, suck for hopefully a long time. I'm glad Jo Pa's wins are vacated and he is just another college coach now and not the all time wins leader. As far as the current players, if they choose to they get to transfer without sitting out so I don't really think they are penalized to much.

Nice to see their are some non delusional PSU fans who do get it. Bravo to you, it's just sad you are in the minority. Finally the Paterno family needs to shut up and deal with this. Jo Pa told us all he needed to when he said i should have done more.
    Post edited by pureoc on
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    Joe Pa was in fact a piece of shit, did not deserve those wins.
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,519
    Everyone who is citing concern for current players - note that the NCAA also required Penn State to honor all scholarships even if the students decide to stay at Penn State and NOT play football.

And, if they do transfer, the NCAA has indicated that they will work out special deals to allow accepting institutions to go above their scholarship quotas if they are already at them for the year and/or team totals. So, the concern that there aren't scholarships available at this late date is off the table.

So, I'm still missing how the NCAA's penalties were not perfectly designed.

Kids can still play football. Kids can still get their free education. They can transfer with special treatment (i.e. play immediately, get a scholarship that would not otherwise be available). How are they being punished? Because they don't get to play at Penn State?

With regards to bowls - why does Penn State have to play in the bowl? Another school and another group of players will get their spot. So, it's not like NOBODY gets to play in the bowl.

Sorry, it seems like students and alum who are trying to use the players as cover are being selfish. Think of the bigger picture.

Kudos to the NCAA.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    Sorry, it seems like students and alum who are trying to use the players as cover are being selfish. Think of the bigger picture.

Yep...They were showing little clips of student reaction on ESPN and it was both painful to watch and the perfect display of why it was a just punishment.

One of them pointed out that Sandusky was gone after 98... :fp: Sure he was ;) So why was he always on campus and living like a block away? Did they not hear about the coverup?
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,352
    Everyone who is citing concern for current players - note that the NCAA also required Penn State to honor all scholarships even if the students decide to stay at Penn State and NOT play football.

Uh huh. There are worse fates in life than going to Penn St. for free and having access to awesome facilities for 4 years. Like, you know, being raped as a child.

No bowl games. Cry me a fucking river.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732

I'm starting to think the cult-like culture in Creepy valley will never change. It's really good to see the Penn State Letterman support child rape.

:fp:

davidtrios wrote:

I'm starting to think the cult-like culture in Creepy valley will never change. It's really good to see the Penn State Letterman support child rape.

Did you miss this part of the article?

"On behalf of the Penn State Football Letterman’s Club, our thoughts and prayers continue for the victims and their families in the heinous criminal acts of Jerry Sandusky. Their lives have been negatively impacted forever and it is important that their stories are not overshadowed by those continuing to define and sensationalize their narrative" :fp:
    edited July 2012

"On behalf of the Penn State Football Letterman’s Club, our thoughts and prayers continue for the victims and their families in the heinous criminal acts of Jerry Sandusky. Their lives have been negatively impacted forever and it is important that their stories are not overshadowed

by those continuing to define and sensationalize their narrative" :fp:

Why did they need that last part? :fp: That's the indication of where their heads are really at. It's still about them (the Letterman/Penn State/etc. - it's being sensationalized!!! The blood thirsty punishers are the bad people! They've forgotten what it's about!!!! Deflect. Deflect. Deflect.). Nothing's being overshadowed. Nothing's being forgotten. They don't need to worry their little brains about that. It's sort of like wanting Sandusky put away forever. That doesn't change the children's stories. They are so myopic. They and the Paterno family should learn to just shut up.

You don't get additional creedance because of your (obvious) opening stanza. The rest of their diatribe still reflects what they think.
    Post edited by EdsonNascimento on
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Man, they took down the wall behind where JP's statue stood. I gather this will be a NEW beginning for this school.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Man, they took down the wall behind where JP's statue stood. I gather this will be a NEW beginning for this school.

Peace

Good for Penn State. Maybe, now the apologists will start to get the message. This isn't about them.
    davidtrios wrote:

"On behalf of the Penn State Football Letterman’s Club, our thoughts and prayers continue for the victims and their families in the heinous criminal acts of Jerry Sandusky, Joe Paterno and any others that contributed to the cover up. Their lives have been negatively impacted forever and it is important that their stories are not overshadowed by those continuing to define and sensationalize their narrative"

Didn't read the whole article, but I'm sure it's got some idiotic stuff in it, but add the bolded part to this quote and that would be acceptable. Too many(1 or more) PSU defenders are trying to sweep what Paterno didn't do under the rug. Fact of the matter is, if Paterno said "let's fucking hang this creep" in 1998, nobody else gets molested on his watch. Simply put, he didn't, so as the head honcho/God in those parts the blood is on his hands.

Let's face it, there's no punishment to fit the crime of raping kids, and I think it would be pretty hard to figure out a good one for a person that enables that. However the legal system, the NCAA, or some vigilante decide to punish those involved in any way is probably not enough.

Kids had major advantage taken of them and people are seriously complaining about wins and losses. I just can't believe that.
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Good for Penn State. Maybe, now the apologists will start to get the message. This isn't about them.

Heard someone with their heart in the right place say they should keep the statue as a reminder of all this sick shit. I say they should've kept the empty space as it stood without the statues.

120722073737-paterno-statue-12-horizontal-gallery.jpg
    DewieCox,

Read the article. It will take a whole 2 minutes at most. Show me where they support child rape. Show me where they support Joe Paterno.
    DewieCox,

Read the article. It will take a whole 2 minutes at most. Show me where they support child rape. Show me where they support Joe Paterno.

"It is with great pride that the members of our Club know that we have done it the “right way” for several decades"

You don't have to support child rape to make idiotic statements like this. Maybe no lettermen knew what was going on, but that still doesn't mean they were "doing it the right way". After all that has come out, I think a reasonable person would say they were doing it any way but right.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    edited July 2012
    DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox,

"It is with great pride that the members of our Club know that we have done it the “right way” for several decades"

You don't have to support child rape to make idiotic statements like this. Maybe no lettermen knew what was going on, but that still doesn't mean they were "doing it the right way". After all that has come out, I think a reasonable person would say they were doing it any way but right.

This is fucking mind boggling. How the hell were the Letterman not doing things the right way? Sure a fight here of there, one sexual assult accusation but as they pointed out, they have some of the highest academic standards in football. The Letterman are speaking for the Letterman, NO ONE ELSE. What is so hard to get about that? Adminstrators did nothing the right way, the players almost always have. None (Edit: Or one) of them were involved in this scandal. Fuck.

Edit: And just point out, the whole point of this was that they don't want their names being dragged through the mud for the actions of others. Especially considering that academics were cited in Emmert's comments.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is fucking mind boggling. How the hell were the Letterman not doing things the right way? Sure a fight here of there, one sexual assult accusation but as they pointed out, they have some of the highest academic standards in football. The Letterman are speaking for the Letterman, NO ONE ELSE. What is so hard to get about that? Adminstrators did nothing the right way, the players almost always have. None of them were involved in this scandal. Fuck.

Good for them, sorry about their luck playing for a scum bag. They come off worse and worse every time one of them comes out complaining about vacated wins and other meaningless crap. How else are the lettermen really being punished? They're not having they're diplomas taken away, they still have all those great memories of playing football. I would think there would be more lettermen in the 98-2011 era come out disappointed that they were any part of such a farce.
    DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox,

This is from a player's perspective. What exactly did the crime and coverup have to do with the players?
    Did I miss something? Is everyone saying all the active players for 14 years knew what was going on?

I'm sure the PSU players conducted themselves like players at any other college.