Options

Breaking Bad Season 5 **Contains Spoilers**

Comments

• Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    afroannnie wrote:
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    is it weird that I have gone back (since Sunday) and rewatched every episode? Currently on episode 29...
    :lol:

nope..I'm thinking about doing the same thing... :)

I need to do this sometime too, the characters have changed so much since it all began, such a great job by everybody.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Heisenberg wrote:

That's what I'm thinking...I have 3 days off work in between Deluna & MT... :think:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    interesting facts & theories:
    http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/70850910.html

1. Cool Allusion: The name of the last episode of season one is “A No-Rough-Stuff-Type Deal.” That’s a line from Fargo. The name of the third episode of season three is “Cancer Man,” a possible reference to Smoking Man — also called Cancer Man — in Vince Gilligan’s old show The X-Files.

2. Cool Allusion: When Ted trips and falls, oranges fall on his crumpled body, a possible reference to The Godfather (in The Godfather, oranges represent violence and death).

3. Neat Fact: Remember Krazy 8, the DEA snitch from the opening episode who Walt and Jesse locked up in the basement before killing him? Remember how he insisted that Walt cut off the crusts on his sandwich? Ever since Walt killed Krazy 8, he cuts the crust off his own sandwiches.

****heres another theory I've seen that relates to that:****

3.1.Walt seems to take something from every person he directly or indirectly kills.

He started cutting the crust off of his sandwiches after he killed crazy 8
    He kept the teddy bear eye after the plane crash
    He kept the book Gale gave him
    Starts drinking scotch on the rocks after offing Mike
    Takes on Gus' persona ("just because you killed Jesse James, does not make you Jesse James")

I think there were more but the point leads us back to the cold open at the beginning of season 5. Walt takes on Skyler's maiden name and tears the bacon like she used to do on his birthday. The theory is obviously that he kills Skyler at some point.

4. Foreshadowing: Jane foreshadowed her own death with a couple of lines, including “I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.” Moreover, when Jesse was making her breakfast in bed and she walked in, Jesse said, “You weren’t supposed to wake up,” and Jane responded, “Ever?” At one point, Jane also said to Jesse, “Lie on your side or you might choke.” Asphyxiating on her own vomit is what killed Jane.

5. Foreshadowing: In the opening episode of season two, Skyler looks fondly on old photos, photos that include Ted Benneke, who wouldn’t appear on the show until halfway through the second season.

6. Neat Fact: In three instances, Vince Gilligan has titled episodes as callbacks to earlier episodes: “Half Measures” vs. “Full Measure,” “No Mas” vs. “Mas,” and “The Cat’s in the Bag” vs. “And the Bag’s in the River.”

7. Neat Fact: Season three, episode three is called “I.F.T.” for “I F–ked Ted.”

8. Clever Pun: Saul Goodman = S’ All Good Man.

9. Neat Fact: Krazy 8 was going to be killed in the pilot, but Vince Gilligan dug the actor so much, they let him live for three episodes. (Coincidentally, it’s also why Aaron Paul was kept on after the first season. Walt was supposed to kill him in the finale but the kibosh was put on Jesse’s death because Gilligan loved his acting, and because of the writer’s strike).

10. Cool Allusions: There have been at least two Sopranos references, if not more: “Juan Bolsa” (a a high-level member of the Juárez drug cartel) translates in English to “Johnny Sack,” a character on The Sopranos, and the opening episode of the fifth season, “Live Free or Die,” was also the title of a Sopranos episode. (Some have also likened Skyler to Carmelo Soprano).

11. Possible Theory: We know that color is important to Vince Gilligan. The characters themselves have dressed in certain colors over the course of the series. Walt, for instance, used to wear mostly beiges, he graduated into dark blues, and now he wears a lot of black, representing his transformation from nice guy to anti-hero to villain. Likewise, Skyler used to wear a lot of blue. Now, when she’s crazy Skyler, she wears black; when she’s afraid of Walt Skyler, she’ll wear beige. There’s blue all over the show, symbolic the blue meth. There’s also a lot of bright yellow (caution), bright orange (danger), and green (greed). Hank wears a lot of orange, and orange seems to be around a lot when the police are involved. Red is often associated with death: Jesse was wearing red when he killed Gale, and Gus was wearing red when he killed Victor. Marie wears purple, which is represents royalty, which perhaps suggests delusions of grandeur (Saul is often seen in purple, as well).

Knowing that color is important, and having read interviews with Gilligan in which he explicitly states that there are visual foreshadowing clues in the form of color on the show, what can we make of pink? The pink teddy bear was associated with death. Walt was wearing a pink sweater when the plane had mid-air collision. Jane had a lengthy discussion with Jesse about Georgia O’Keefe (whose paintings looked like (pink) vaginas), and after her death, Jesse found a cigarette she left in his car covered in pink lipstick. Coincidence? Perhaps. But if pink is associated with death, do we always see Holly White (Walt and Skyler’s infant daughter) dressed in pink — and sleeping in a crib with a pink blanket — because she’s a girl, or because Holly is associated with death? Is it Vince’s way of foreshadowing Holly’s death? Vince has suggested, after all, that Walt does something in the final season that is so bad we could never again sympathize with him. Does he sacrifice his daughter to save his business?

12. Cool Allusion: Vulture spotted this in last week’s episode: The pesticide tent in “Hazard Pay” looks very similar to the tarp in “Post Modern Prometheus,” an episode of The X-Files. The pesticide tent figured heavily into both episodes.

13. Neat Fact: Matt Ufford posted this last year, but in case you missed it, some of the blue meth on Breaking Bad made its way onto The Walking Dead.

14. Cool Allusions: What’s up with the Illuminati references?

15. Foreshadowing: A reader, ChiSwede, dropped this video in my Chekhov’s gun post: The elevator ding foreshadows the death of Gus.

16. Cool Allusion: The third episode of the second season, “Bit By a Dead Bee,” is an homage to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

17. Foreshadowing: Madrigal Electromotive was introduced way back in season three, in a commercial for Pollos Hermanos.

18. Possible Theory: Again, we know that Vince Gillian almost never does something for no reason, although this theory is almost too obvious for Gilligan. We know that he’s described the show as a cross between Goodbye, Mr. Chips and Scarface. We also know that, in the last episode, Walt was watching Scarface and ad-libbed the line, “Everybody dies in this movie.” It would be too easy to draw a connection between that and an ending with a possible shootout in which everybody dies except for the fact that in the season five premiere, Walt buys a machine gun. What was Tony Montana using when he died in a blaze of bullets? A machine gun. Foreshadowing? Maybe. But even if it is, Gilligan would likely subvert it the Scarface ending, possibly combining it with a faux-Sopranos ending: Fade to black before the shootout, a la Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Or fade to black for 20 seconds, dupe everyone into thinking that’s the end of the series, then flash forward to moments after the shootout when everyone is lying in a puddle of their own blood.

19. Possible Theory: OR, Gilligan calls back to his obvious Tarantino influence: Mr. Pink (Jesse) flees with the loot; wounded after a Mexican stand-off, Mr. White (Walt) is cradling the cop Mr. Orange (Hank). Mr. White takes aim at Mr. Orange. The cops bust in and shots are fired. Fade to black before we know exactly who dies.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    Great post! :thumbup:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
    @ pjradio: WOW!! Thanks, I have really enjoyed your post!
    She holds the hand that holds her down...
    She will... rise above...
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    Such a clever show, Recently moved in with friends who have never seen it, Looking forward to starting back at episode one and watching it with them. Love the above post, God that show is brilliant.
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    interesting facts & theories:
    11. Possible Theory: We know that color is important to Vince Gilligan. The characters themselves have dressed in certain colors over the course of the series. Walt, for instance, used to wear mostly beiges, he graduated into dark blues, and now he wears a lot of black, representing his transformation from nice guy to anti-hero to villain. Likewise, Skyler used to wear a lot of blue. Now, when she’s crazy Skyler, she wears black; when she’s afraid of Walt Skyler, she’ll wear beige. There’s blue all over the show, symbolic the blue meth. There’s also a lot of bright yellow (caution), bright orange (danger), and green (greed). Hank wears a lot of orange, and orange seems to be around a lot when the police are involved. Red is often associated with death: Jesse was wearing red when he killed Gale, and Gus was wearing red when he killed Victor. Marie wears purple, which is represents royalty, which perhaps suggests delusions of grandeur (Saul is often seen in purple, as well).

What about the names in this context? Walt WHITE and Jesse PINKman??
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    Is it me or is Giancarlo (Gus Fring) doing the voice over for the new NFL NIke commercial?
  • Options
    meth-not-even-once.jpeg
  • Options
    GrandmaGrandma Posts: 259
    Wow pjradio - you've spent some time thinking this one out!
    1 thing though - I think "Bit by a Dead Bee' is from "To Have and Have Not". Close though, just a diferent Bogart ( always remember Walter Brennan asking that...)
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Meg8686 wrote:
    meth-not-even-once.jpeg

:lol::lol::lol: That's awesome!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    Meg8686 wrote:
    meth-not-even-once.jpeg
    Cool one! :lol:
  • Options
    Ok...the Breaking Bad/Andy Griffith show spoof on the emmys was awesome.

Also, Aaron Paul's girl is HOT! :shock:
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,054
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Ok...the Breaking Bad/Andy Griffith show spoof on the emmys was awesome.

Also, Aaron Paul's girl is HOT! :shock:

Yes and yes!!!! :thumbup:
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    ^THANKS!! Was wanting to see this 8-)
  • Options
    Yeah Bitch!...Emmy!

aaronpaulemmy.jpg
  • Options
    GrandmaGrandma Posts: 259
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Yeah Bitch!...Emmy!

aaronpaulemmy.jpg
    That's exactly what I was waiting to hear from him!
  • Options
    :D:D:D:clap::clap::clap::clap: :thumbup: :clap::clap::clap: :wave: :clap::clap:
  • Options
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Yeah Bitch!...Emmy!

aaronpaulemmy.jpg

:lol: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap::clap::clap:
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    So did Aaron Paul win an Emmy for Season 4 or 5? He deserved it for 4 but not 5. He was barely in season 5.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,776
    JK_Livin wrote:
    So did Aaron Paul win an Emmy for Season 4 or 5? He deserved it for 4 but not 5. He was barely in season 5.

It was for season 4. Aaron Paul was great that season, but I still think that Giancarlo Esposito deserved it for his performance as Gus in season 4.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    JK_Livin wrote:

It was for season 4. Aaron Paul was great that season, but I still think that Giancarlo Esposito deserved it for his performance as Gus in season 4.

Thanks. I wasn't sure how the timing of the seasons worked with the Emmy nominations.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    JK_Livin wrote:

^^^AGREED^^^

Did anyone else find it a tad bit strange that Mark Margolis (Hector 'Tio' Salamanca) was up for a best guest role? I mean his character is important and he's amazing without dialogue, but how does that get nominated?
    Strange.
    BB got robbed last night (exception of Jesse) - Is Homeland any good?
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,776
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    - Is Homeland any good?

Homeland is awesome. You should definitely check it out if you have the chance.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,262
    JK_Livin wrote:

Yeah, I agree completely.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,262
    PJFAN13 wrote:
    - Is Homeland any good?

Homeland is awesome. You should definitely check it out if you have the chance.

I think it's a good show, not great.
    I think Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones are better shows of those nominated.