Options

best and worse USA presidents

Juan GodoyJuan Godoy Posts: 490
edited October 2013 in A Moving Train
i'm working on some stuff that includes the USA presidents, so i was wondering what's the opinion on the people that live with them each day, cause outside the usa we all can read on the newspapers, books, and that kind of stuff.. but it's different..

--so everyone says who is your best and worst president in the usa.. thanks!

(if you feel like saying the reasons, feel free to :lol: )
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Depends on what kind of stuff you're looking for. Just a general "good" president? There are some that are good for various reasons. Most Americans would agree that the typical good presidents are Abraham Lincoln for issuing the Emancipation Proclamation and taking on the South and fighting the CIvil War. George Washington because he was the first and set pretty high expectations. FDR because of his willingness to tackle the problems of the Depression and taking on another world war.
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    James Buchanan..... I hated that guy. :evil:
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,219
    this is a very open ended question and it depends on who you ask, where they live, and what their culture is like, etc.

for instance, lincoln is revered in the north and was despised in the south. kennedy was loved in the north, hated in the south.

even reading works by historians is not very reliable because sometimes they have a certain agenda with whatever they write.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Juan Godoy wrote:
    i'm working on some stuff that includes the USA presidents, so i was wondering what's the opinion on the people that live with them each day, cause outside the usa we all can read on the newspapers, books, and that kind of stuff.. but it's different..

--so everyone says who is your best and worst president in the usa.. thanks!

(if you feel like saying the reasons, feel free t
    o :lol: )

i think this would have to be a given... otherwise why take someones opinion if they cant back it up? :think:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    My opinion:

Good Presidents:

Washington
    Adams
    Madison
    Lincoln
    FDR
    Truman
    JFK

Bad Presidents:

Hoover
    Nixon
    Bush (GW)
    Reagan
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388

for instance, lincoln is revered in the north and was despised in the south. kennedy was loved in the north, hated in the south.
    The thinking down here in the South believe in Mr. Lincoln.....and wish that he had survived beyond what he did. Hatred for JFK in the South.....I don't see that one...and I've been in these parts for over 47 years

My bad list:
    LBJ (Vietnam)
    Bush II (Iraq/Afghanistan/New Orleans)
    Andrew Johnson (Reconstruction)
    Carter (America held hostage)

My good list:
    Lincoln (Had a burning desire to reunite the Nation without the evils that came from Reconstruction)
    FDR (The leader during war that LBJ tried to be)
    Truman (Had the balls to do what needed to done)
    Nixon (Clean Air, Clean Water and Endangered Species Act carry a lot of weight with me)
    Ford (A man who understood compromise)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Best:
    Jefferson
    Madison
    Washington

Worst:
    GW Bush
    Obama

The last two for the debt that has grown out of control and for the huge amount of liberty lost post 9/11.
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Best: George Washington
    Abraham Lincoln
    Theodore Roosevelt
    Ronald Reagan (redefined what "full employment" meant. Everyone thought it was 7-8%. He got it into the 4's. Now, we're celebrating getting under 9 :? )

Worst: Jimmy Carter (STAGFLATION!!! Hostages!!!!! Why anyone even quotes this guy now is beyond me)
    JFK (though bagging Marilyn is quite impressive, he almost got us all killed - Bay of Pigs)
    FDR (resisted entering WW II which is beyond inconscienanable, and yet wouldn't have gotten out of the Depression without it. But, somehow he's credited as a great President. Mind Boggling)
    (yes, JFK and FDR) :corn:

And, BTW, it is WAY too early to make any assessments of GW or Obama (and probably even Clinton). You can't "rate" Presidents until the venom (And "fandome") of their era is gone. While it is safe to say none of them will end up anywhere near a Best list, it is also clear that partisanship will always color recent Presidents' term.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    Washington's decision to step down after serving two terms set a powerful and important precedent on how our nation's history has been forged.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,146
    Jason P wrote:
    Washington's decision to step down after serving two terms set a powerful and important precedent on how our nation's history has been forged.

too bad congress doesn't reapply.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,099
    I have only really remember 2 presidents (Obama and Bush) and i'm not a big fan of us presidential history.... so, best and worst based on the presidents that i have lived during...
    Best = Obama
    Worst = Bush

Although my favorite President is the 8th president, Van Buren. Because who remembers who the 8th president is? Not that many people. But I do :lol:
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    FrankieG wrote:
    Although my favorite President is the 8th president, Van Buren. Because who remembers who the 8th president is? Not that many people. But I do :lol:
    Back in the good ol' days when presidents could have crazy old-man hairdos. :lol:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD4zxkt9tcXoCDynXnMTEhXRZORf-tFh1hiVFCyf21h6EZNTdTlN1pW0oD
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,099
    Jason P wrote:

It's a good thing that congress people run for more than 2 terms. Could you imagine how much money we would be paying to congressmen's pensions if they were out after 2 terms? So many more congressmen would earn that pension...
    Jason P wrote:
    FrankieG wrote:
    Back in the good ol' days when presidents could have crazy old-man hairdos. :lol:

:lol: Now there's my man! :lol:8-)
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA
    2022: 9/14 NJ ... 2024: 5/28 WA, 9/7 PA, 9/9 PA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,627
    Jason P wrote:
    FrankieG wrote:

A lot of Seinfeld fans remember Van Buren.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkpnOTr8 ... ata_player
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    Well, Lincoln killed Vampires....so...yeah, it is him. Sure other presidents did good things, but it isn't close.

As for worst...I would have to say the current president...not Obama specifically, but every current president seems to be worse than the one before...just ask half of the country
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,836
    I don't understand the hatred for Jimmy Carter. I think he was one of our greatest presidents because he was one of the most honest. He was hated because Americans often don't like to hear the truth.

An example of what I mean is highlighted here by writer Andrew Bacevich who had this to say about Carter in an interview with Bill Moyers:

"ANDREW BACEVICH: Well, this is the so-called Malaise Speech, even though he never used the word "malaise" in the text to the address. It's a very powerful speech, I think, because President Carter says in that speech, oil, our dependence on oil, poses a looming threat to the country. If we act now, we may be able to fix this problem. If we don't act now, we're headed down a path in which not only will we become increasingly dependent upon foreign oil, but we will have opted for a false model of freedom. A freedom of materialism, a freedom of self-indulgence, a freedom of collective recklessness. And what the President was saying at the time was, we need to think about what we mean by freedom. We need to choose a definition of freedom which is anchored in truth, and the way to manifest that choice, is by addressing our energy problem.

He had a profound understanding of the dilemma facing the country in the post Vietnam period. And of course, he was completely hooted, derided, disregarded."

(For those of you who believe this to be liberal inanity, I should point out that Bacevich is a well respected conservative.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    FrankieG wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

It's a good thing that congress people run for more than 2 terms. Could you imagine how much money we would be paying to congressmen's pensions if they were out after 2 terms? So many more congressmen would earn that pension...

Ummm...take away the pension???? :fp:
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,627
    brianlux wrote:
    I don't understand the hatred for Jimmy Carter. I think he was one of our greatest presidents because he was one of the most honest. He was hated because Americans often don't like to hear the truth.

An example of what I mean is highlighted here by writer Andrew Bacevich who had this to say about Carter in an interview with Bill Moyers:

"ANDREW BACEVICH: Well, this is the so-called Malaise Speech, even though he never used the word "malaise" in the text to the address. It's a very powerful speech, I think, because President Carter says in that speech, oil, our dependence on oil, poses a looming threat to the country. If we act now, we may be able to fix this problem. If we don't act now, we're headed down a path in which not only will we become increasingly dependent upon foreign oil, but we will have opted for a false model of freedom. A freedom of materialism, a freedom of self-indulgence, a freedom of collective recklessness. And what the President was saying at the time was, we need to think about what we mean by freedom. We need to choose a definition of freedom which is anchored in truth, and the way to manifest that choice, is by addressing our energy problem.

He had a profound understanding of the dilemma facing the country in the post Vietnam period. And of course, he was completely hooted, derided, disregarded."

(For those of you who believe this to be liberal inanity, I should point out that Bacevich is a well respected conservative.)

He was too logical for most Americans and never killed anyone.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

Stagflation. tough to be considered a good president when you sit over a time of stagnant business, high unemployment, disproportionate rise in the cost of living, and increased government spending which didn't do much to combat the problem. Hmmm, sounds familiar.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    Andrew Johnson was an Indian Killer, Woodrow Wilson put feminists in jail for wanting to vote. If I were an Indian or feminist those would be my worst, i guess its perspective.

There was mention of Carter as a worst because of the hostage crisis. I saw a docu filmed 6 years ago where one of those freed hostages is near tears thanking Carter for his life.
  • Options
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

Stagflation. tough to be considered a good president when you sit over a time of stagnant business, high unemployment, disproportionate rise in the cost of living, and increased government spending which didn't do much to combat the problem. Hmmm, sounds familiar.

But the US had been in an economic cycle of unsustainable growth since the 1950s and I would actually blame various presidents (unemployment was at about 12% during 1974 under Nixon/Ford and at about 13% by the time Carter left office) but more importantly the Federal Reserve for at least part of the problems that had been brewing for a while. Presidents always inherit problems from their predecessors and must do the best they can with the good and bad they are given. Carter attempted to do what he could to stabilize the economy but most measures take time to implement (having to work with Congress who are the ones that actually make law not the President) and more time to see results. I like Carter and think he was a genuinely good man who tried to do good but he was not a politician and was not willing to play the game. I think that is just one of the many reasons I like to read his books and give credence to many of his beliefs because he actually has principles that he lives by. I've always liked his stance on alternative energy sources even though he was laughed out of office over things like putting solar panels on the White House. What if we had implemented some of those policies? While he will never be remembered as a great president, he has certainly earned my respect.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Andrew Johnson was an Indian Killer, Woodrow Wilson put feminists in jail for wanting to vote. If I were an Indian or feminist those would be my worst, i guess its perspective.

Right and if you are deathly allergic to peanuts, then Carter is your worst.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    riotgrl wrote:
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

But the US had been in an economic cycle of unsustainable growth since the 1950s and I would actually blame various presidents (unemployment was at about 12% during 1974 under Nixon/Ford and at about 13% by the time Carter left office) but more importantly the Federal Reserve for at least part of the problems that had been brewing for a while. Presidents always inherit problems from their predecessors and must do the best they can with the good and bad they are given. Carter attempted to do what he could to stabilize the economy but most measures take time to implement (having to work with Congress who are the ones that actually make law not the President) and more time to see results. I like Carter and think he was a genuinely good man who tried to do good but he was not a politician and was not willing to play the game. I think that is just one of the many reasons I like to read his books and give credence to many of his beliefs because he actually has principles that he lives by. I've always liked his stance on alternative energy sources even though he was laughed out of office over things like putting solar panels on the White House. What if we had implemented some of those policies? While he will never be remembered as a great president, he has certainly earned my respect.

This is politics, time to work isn't something we give most of our programs. But you said it yourself, He may have had ideas, but they didn't work and some didn't get implemented. You cannot be judged by what you wanted to do, you can only be judged by the job you did. He is a good person, but that doesn't always translate into a successful politician.
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I like George Washington because he never told a lie.
  • Options

There was mention of Carter as a worst because of the hostage crisis. I saw a docu filmed 6 years ago where one of those freed hostages is near tears thanking Carter for his life.
    rocky sickman, former hostage, lived a town over from me when i was a kid. i had seem him praise carter publicly one time as well.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    by the way, reagan belongs on my personal list of worst presidents.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,836
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    This is politics, time to work isn't something we give most of our programs. But you said it yourself, He may have had ideas, but they didn't work and some didn't get implemented. You cannot be judged by what you wanted to do, you can only be judged by the job you did. He is a good person, but that doesn't always translate into a successful politician.

Thank you for at least recognizing that. Both my folks worked with Habitat for Humanity in their retirement and the saw many lives made better through his and Rosalynn's efforts.

I would still assert that if so many Americans at the time of his presidency were not in a state of denial he would be much better recognized for his efforts in his presidency. As a nation, we didn't want someone to spoil the party with reality. The idea of energy conservation was just beginning to become important. Carter warned us of the coming difficulties but as a nation we didn't want to hear it. A good argument could be made for some of Carter's short comings as a politician- backing down from confrontation on occasion, lack of charisma and swagger, appearing to be indecisive and ineffective at times. But I don't see these as reasons for listing him as one of our worst presidents. He cared a great deal about his job and the country and put a lot of heart into his efforts. Surely we've had much worse.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    mikepegg44 wrote:

Thank you for at least recognizing that. Both my folks worked with Habitat for Humanity in their retirement and the saw many lives made better through his and Rosalynn's efforts.

I would still assert that if so many Americans at the time of his presidency were not in a state of denial he would be much better recognized for his efforts in his presidency. As a nation, we didn't want someone to spoil the party with reality. The idea of energy conservation was just beginning to become important. Carter warned us of the coming difficulties but as a nation we didn't want to hear it. A good argument could be made for some of Carter's short comings as a politician- backing down from confrontation on occasion, lack of charisma and swagger, appearing to be indecisive and ineffective at times. But I don't see these as reasons for listing him as one of our worst presidents. He cared a great deal about his job and the country and put a lot of heart into his efforts. Surely we've had much worse.

brianlux, I think that is exactly how I see Carter as well. He backed down when he shouldn't have which made him seem weak and ineffective. Other presidents who came later (and before) made horrible decisions but they did it with such staggering confidence that the American public took it as the best course of action. And certainly history has proven that some of those decisions were the absolute worst decisions!

Now, if we want to make a case for truly bad presidents, I would argue that several of the presidents in office prior to the Civil War were in no way willing to bite the bullet and take on slavery and states rights issues when they should have. James Buchanan refused to do anything that even resembled confrontation and Franklin Pierce continued to expand the country (manifest destiny, anybody?) which just allowed the entrance of more slave states which gave the Southern states more leverage in Congress. Those presidents did nothing, or actually encouraged, a civil war that divided our country. Personally, I think you can still see the ramifications of the Civil War being played out today - poor race relations, persistent housing/educational segregation, economic inequality, and the South still lags behind in almost every category. I don't know if those things would be drastically different today but damn it would have been nice to have had a chance to find out.

I AM MINE
  • Options
    by the way, reagan belongs on my personal list of worst presidents.

I don't think Reagan is the worst but I very much dislike that he gets credit for "fixing" a lot of things in the 1980s that weren't necessarily so. For example, Reagan always gets the credit for releasing the Iranian hostages when in actuality the Iranians just held them until Reagan's inauguration day so Carter wouldn't get the credit. However, in his favor, Reagan did send Carter to greet them at the airport and welcome them back - I don't like Reagan but that is a classy gesture. Most presidents are neither all good nor all bad although I still hate Bush II with a passion! Might be a long while before I can forgive some of his mistakes :nono:

I AM MINE
  • Options
    Juan GodoyJuan Godoy Posts: 490
    amazing all the comments.. thanks guy!! so far so good..
    The only surprise i had until here is that i thought W. Bush it would be more hated than this, just my opinion

thanks, keep on giving you opinion!